Charles P. (Pat) Fahey -- Rand Lodging House
Pat Fahey was doing business as a lodging housekeeper as early as 1905 and was in this business until 1915 when he sold his lodging house to O. Ottison. Pat was no new comer to the mining towns of the area, having owned the Mono Brewery in which was located in Bodie, Cal. in 1880.
Edith B. McGinn --
Mrs. McGinn ran a boarding house out in the Stringer District in 1905. Mrs. McGinn was the wife of J. E. McGinn. The McGinns were early pioneers of the camp and Mr. McGinn had been a saloonman until 1904 when he sold out and went mining. When her husband had to leave to find work Mrs. McGinn stayed behind in Randsburg where she raised her daughters Bessie McGinn and Margaret McGinn while running a boarding house or playing piano in a fraternal hall. In 1912 their house was completely destroyed by a fire that started from a kettle that was left on the stove while Edith took a nap. They lost not only their house but also all of their possessions. Supervisor Rinaldi circulated among the citizens and quickly raised $150 in their relief. A benefit ball was held the following Friday evening and the proceeds were also donated to the McGinn's.1
Virginia V. Cordova --
In the 1910 Census Virginia a 20-year-old widow listed her occupation as a boarding house keeper. She had one boarder who was a 30 year old gold miner.
W. B. Dodson --
The 1910 census shows the Dodson boarding house on Butte Ave. as being near the Houser Hotel. The residents were all miners from Montenegro. Their was no boarding house keeper listed as residing at this location. The only Dodson listed in the 1910 Census was Wilkes B. Dodson who listed his occupation as a miner. It is possible that Wilkes was the owner of the boarding house even though the Randsburg Miner reported in August of 1912 that L. P Christensen had purchased the Boarding house conducted by H. B Dodson. It is assumed that the H. is a typo and should have been a W.
Louis Peter Christensen--
L. P. Christensen purchased the Dodson boarding house on Butte Ave. in Randsburg from H. (W). B. Dodson in August of 1912. . In December of 1915 it was reported in the Randsburg Miner that Victor Lypps has purchased the Maginnis Hotel from E. B. Maginnis for L. P. Christensen.
E. B Maginnis -- Maginnis House
E. B Maginnis came to Randsburg as a young man in 1896. His name appears among the first entries (August 20, 1896) of payments by the Rand Mining Co. for services rendered such as recording. He was well thought of and was appointed the first Justice of the Peace of the camp in October of 1896, a position he held for most of the period cover by this book. In addition he is listed in 1912 through 1915 as running a boarding house called the Maginnis House on Butte Ave. This building was located across from the present Charlie's Ore House antique shop where the white house with the cactus in front of it is located. COLLECTION OF DERIC ENGLISH
MAGINNIS HOTEL WHITE BUILDING ON LEFT
Bernard Maginnis was the father of E. B. Maginnis and was listed as a landlord in the 1900 census. He later moved to San Diego
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Green -- The Rand Lodging House
In June of 1913 the Greens leased the Rand Lodging House, which they completely over hauled and equipped with electric lights. The rooms were said to be large and airy and lodgers were provided with every convince.
Laura and Nellie Miles--
The 1914 Great Register of Voters for Kern County shows Laura and Nellie Miles as boarding house keepers. Laura Miles is known to have located to Los Angeles when she left Randsburg.
Mrs. R. Howard--Miles House
In 1915 an advertisement appeared in the local newspaper for the new Miles House ran by Mrs. Howard who specialized in home cooking.
L. Nicholson -- O. K. Boarding House
In November of 1915 Mr. Nicholson sold the O.K. Boarding House to Mrs. J. W. Martin.
Mrs. J. W. Martin-- O. K. Boarding House
Mrs. J. W. Martin purchased the O. K. Boarding House in 1915.
Miss Hattie J. Woods--
Miss Woods was listed in the 1918 Great Register of Voters as running a boarding house in Randsburg.
THE BOWLING ALLEY
M. H. Bowman --
In February of 1904 Mr. Bowman opened a 50-foot bowling alley in the basement of Blake Aubrey's saloon on Broadway in Randsburg. It was reported that the alley was well patronized and the Mr. Bowman intended to set aside on night a week for "Ladies Night" so that the ladies could also enjoy the sport. 1
THE BREWERIES, BOTTLING AND SODA WORKS
G. McK Bevan -- Randsburg Soda Works Agent for Maier Zobelein Brewery
Los Angeles Daily Times, April 28, 1897, pg. 13
A team of horses belonging to George M. Bevan was stolen from a tent stable, near Fiddler’s Gulch on the Johannesburg road , Friday night, and no trace of them has yet been discovered . Mr. Bevan is agent for Maier & Zobelein in Randsburg, and has just finished the erection of a very complete ice house, 14x14 feet inside, with double walls and floors and air spaces between. He is now putting up a large building just in front to be used for the manufacture of soda water and as a bottling works.
Local lore says that there was two breweries in town. Actually these businesses were bottling works which were agents for the breweries. The first of these was George McK Bevan who came to Randsburg in March of 1897 and located originally Butte Ave. and later probably after the 1898 fires he relocated on Staley Ave. where he remained until 1900. He was the agent for Maier Zobelein Brewery of Los Angeles and the Puritas Ice Company. In October of 1897 he purchased the old Stuart Saloon, on Butte Ave., on the east side of the Broadwell building, and rmodeled and improved it for use as a restaurant. He is listed in the 1898 business directory as the “Ransbury (SIC) Soda Works. After selling out Mr. McK Bevan moved to Bakersfield where he ran another bottling and soda works combined with a wholesale liquor business and ice house. One of his locations in Bakersfield was in the approximate location of the present bail bond business directly behind the Kern County Court House. Mr. McK Bevan was reported to have been well known and liked in Randsburg, and was of a cheerful disposition. The news of his death, in 1905 at Los Angeles, at his own hand came as a shock to his friends in Randsburg. George had been in ill health and had been given little hope of recovery by his physicians.
Advertisement From 1900 Randsburg Miner Newspaper
Edwin Maurice Dineen –
Rinaldi Bros. -- Agents for Maier Brewery
The Rinaldi Bros. bought out Al Heydlouff in September of 1904. They appear to have ran this business along with their other interests until 1916 when they sold to S. Hartly. Over the years liquor licenses were issued to O. Rinaldi conduct a saloon in Randsburg. It is not clear whether this saloon was conducted in connection with the "Brewery" or not. However, after the brewery building was sold to Hartly their were no more liquor license applications from any of the Rinaldi Bros. The building burnt down shortly after it was purchased by Hartly. 4 (For more information on the Rinaldi Bros. see section on Randsburg Butchers.)
OTTO RINALDI INVOICE 191?
Waldeck, Shultz and Schade -- Agents for Los Angeles Brewing Co. --
In April of 1907 the Randsburg Miner reported that Emil Waldeck and Herman Schultz had started construction on a new brewery on Butte Ave. opposite A. Nixon's Saloon. The original plans were for an 18 x 20 one-story adobe building on a rough foundation with an 18 x 25 ice cellar in the rear. Julius Schade had the contract to construct the building. When the building was actually completed in December of 1907 it measured 20 x 30 feet with a cellar and a 16 x 30 concrete icehouse in the rear. During the building process Julius Schade had become a partner and the Saloon, when opened, was said to be the best-equipped in town. An elegant bar and fixtures had been purchased from the Los Angeles Brewing Company and were equipped with every convenience for rapid work.
Emil Waldeck had been a saloonkeeper in Randsburg since 1898. Julius Schade had came to Randsburg in 1904 and worked as a contractor and miner until he went in to the saloon/ "Brewery" business. Little information has been found on Herman Shultz. How long this partnership actually lasted and what the arrangements were are unclear. In 1909 a liquor license was issued to J. Schade. Emil Waldeck apparently left town around this time as their is no reference to him in the 1910 Census or in the Great Register of Voters after 1908. Herman Schultz was listed in the 1912 Great Register of Voters as a bartender and Julius Schade as a saloonkeeper. Advertisements for the "Burg Saloon " as shown on this page was found in the Randsburg Miner from February of 1912 to August of 1913 listed Julius Schade as the proprietor. Emil Waldeck retained a one third interest in the saloon, which was sold at the time of his death in 1913 for $190 to an agent by the name of C. W. Pierce. No record of a liquor license has been found for Julius Schade after 1913 until his application in 1916 which was turned down on the basis that there were already too many saloons in town at the time. It is believed that Jesse Cuddeback of Mojave conducted business in this location starting in 1913, whether he is the person who C. W. Pierce was agent for is unknown, but a description of a shooting that took place in Jesse's saloon matches the layout of the "Burg" saloon. This building still stands and for many years housed Mrs. Purington's Desert Shop. It is currently a private residence. 5
INSERT PHOTO OF PRESENT DAY BURG SALOON BLDG.