Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:


October 18, 1897:JOHANNESBURG, Oct. 16—(Regular Correspondence.) William McEwen returned from Los Angeles this week and. reported the forming of a new company to work mines in this district. The name of the company is the Johannesburg Gold Mining Company, and it is incorporated under the laws of Arizona
with- a capital of $1,000,000. The incorporators are: H. J. Woollacott, president State Loan and Trust company, Los Angeles; Warren Gillelen, president Broadway bank, Los Angeles; A. A. Daugherty, president Kramer and Randsburg Railroad; William H. Mc-Ewen, superintendent Alameda mine, Johannesburg; G. M. Rose-, an extensive mine owner in this district; J. S. Salkey, a capitalist of Los Angeles and C. L. Hanson. They own a group of claims consisting of the Monte Cristo, Alameda No. 2, Golden Wedge and Croesus, and are negotiating for others in the vicinity. Prospecting work is being done and as soon as practicable a 500-foot double compartment shaft will be sunk.” – The Herald

October 22, 1897:” A NEW MINING COMPANY new has been formed to operate on four ledges north of Johannesburg and next adjoining the Alameda .  The claims are the Monte Cristo, Alameda No. 2, Croseus and Golden Wedge, all prospecting well  and lying in a good locality.  The corporation is composed of H. J. Woollacott, president of the State Loan and Trust Company, Los Angeles; Warren Gillelen, president of the Broadway Bank, Los Angeles; G. M. Rose, lately from the Black Hills, South Dakota; W. H. McEwen, superintendent of the Alamede mine, Johannesburg; C. L. Hansen of Ontario; J. S. Salkey, Los Angeles, and A. A. Doughtery, president of the Randsburg and Kramer Railroad.  The name of the corporation is the Johannesburg Gold Mining Company, with a capital of $1,000,000.  It is proposed to begin development work immediately.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

October 25, 1897:  “The Johannesburg Gold Mining company has incorporated under the laws of Arizona. The incorporators include some of the best known and most successful business men in Southern California, men whose names associated with an enterprise are an ample guarantee of its merit and stability. They are: H. J. Woolacott, president of the Loan and Trust company of this city: Warren Glllelen, president of the Broadway bank, also of Los Angeles; Wm. H. McEwen, superintendent of the Alameda mine at Johannesburg; G. M. Rose of Randsburg, who is associated with Mr. McEwen In other properties; C. L. Hanson of this city; A. A. Daugherty, president of the Randsburg and Kramer Railroad company, Los Angeles, and J. S. Salkey of the Parisian cloak house of Los Angeles. The company, which organized with a capital stock of 1,000,000 shares of a par value of $1 each, was formed for the purpose of operating in the Rand district and has secured: a group of four contiguous claims adjoining the famous Alameda mine on the north and east, namely, the Monte Cristo, Alameda No. 2, Golden Wedge and Croesus. The location of this group in such close proximity to the Alameda and Val Verde mines, where development work has demonstrated that vast deposits of rich mineral exists throughout that entire range of hills, gives the new company an unusually favorable field in which to begin its labors.—Randsburg Miner.” — The Herald

November 26, 1897:“MENTION WAS RECENTLY MADE in this column of the incorporation of  the Johannesburg Gold Mining Company, several well known Los Angeles men being included in the directorate.  G. Decatur & Co. commission brokers of this city, have just concluded a deal with a syndicate of local capitalist, who have taken the entire treasury stock of the company, comprising 250,000 shares, and paid cash for it.  They intend to go to work at once on the development of the claims owned by the company, which include about seventy acres of mineral land, comprised within the claims, “Monte Cristo No. 3,” “Alameda No. 2,” “Croseus,” and “Golden Wedge,” of which the three former are full claims, and the latter a fraction.  They are in the heart of the Rand district.  Adjoining them on the east is the Pinmore mine owned by the Ashford Mining Company, which is working day and night shifts, and operating on a fine body of ore.  Further to the east, 1000 feet from the property and on the same ledge, is the Alameda, a producer, with rich ore and a large quantity of low-grade ore.

From the Pinmore mine it is reported that forty tons of $50 rock are being taken daily.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

SUCCESS GOLD MINING AND REDUCTION CO. (Helen S., Hillside, Sunny Slope, Gold Bug, Success, Keno, and Triangle )

May 5, 1917: “TWENTY YEARS AGO TODAY. FROM THE CALIFORNIAN OF THIS DATEW. W.  Stockton has sold the “Success” mine near Randsburg for $10,000.” – Bakersfield Californian.

September 11, 1897: “THIS COMPANY has been incorporated for the purpose of buying, selling, bonding, leasing and otherwise acquiring and disposing of mines and mining property, developing, working and managing the same, and to conduct a general mining reduction and refining business in all its branches.  It now owns and controls a number of properties among which are:  The Helen S, Anita T., Hillside, Sunny Slope, Gold Bug, Success, Keno, and Triangle mines, also two mill sites and a well with sixty feet of water in it.

Three of these properties, the Success, Keno, and Helen S. are situated about one mile north of Randsburg and about three-quarters of a mile northwest of Johannesburg in the low foothills which separate the two places.  A large amount of development work has been done on these three mines, and all of them are considered valuable properties.

The country rock at these mines is composed principally of mica, schist and szenite, with fissure veins cutting the formations northwest and southeast, with a dip to the northeast.  The veins at the surface consist of quartz, schist, and –lc spar, and are much broken; but as depth is attained they straighten up, and the walls become regular; the schist disappears and quartz takes its place, and increases in value.  The Success is a full claim, 1500 feet long by 600 feet wide, and has one of the largest veins of gold bearing quartz in the Rand District, extending the whole length of the claim.  The vein crops for over 600 feet, showing free gold, and where cross-cuts of the ledge have been made, test by horn spoons show gold for over thirty feet in width.

The lowest assay made on the ore from this mine was $2, and the highest $273 per ton.  There is a very large body of ore in this vein that will average from $10 to $20 a ton.  There is also a considerable quantity of high-grade ore.  At the 130-foot level there was ore that in a horn spoon test gave the result of over $600 to the ton.  The indications are that as depth is gained the ore increase in value, as has been demonstrated in the work already done.  On this mine there has been considerable permanent work done, consisting of an incline shaft 175 feet-deep, a tunnel 200 feet, a cross-cut 25 feet, besides some surface work.

The Keno lies about 600 feet south of the Success, and is a parallel vein which can be traced the entire length of the claim, 1500 feet.  This is a large vein of good ore.  At one place where it is opened, it shows three feet of ore at a value of $40 per ton.  There is a 50 foot shaft and considerable surface work,with a good showing has been done on this mine.  The Helen S. is about 600 feet east of the Success, is a full claim, and has an incline shaft down seventy feet, with a good showing of ore. Assays on the ore from this shaft show a value of from $33 to $175 a ton.  The Anita J. is southeast of the Success, and near Johannesburg.  Not much work has been done to it, but the indications are good, and it is in a good location.

The Hillside, Sunny Slope, Gold But, and Triangle are situated about one mile east of the Rand group and west of the Gold Coin and G. B. Mines.  There has been but little work done on these claims, but the properties are good for making mines of them all.  The properties are easy of access, with good roads to them all.

The company is incorporated with a capital of $1,000,000 divided into 1,000,000 shares, of which a certain number will be issued and sold for a development fund.  The head offices of the company are in Los Angeles, and the officer are: Mortimer Ayers, president; C. M. Davis, vice-president; J. F. Church, secretary; A. D. Hall, assistant secretary; J. C. Fraser, treasurer; and Gardner H. Smith, superintendent.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times


April 1, 1897:  “A RICH STRIKE was made yesterday on the Eclipse out beyond the Val Verde and north of Johannesburg.  This mine is owned by James Montgomery, William Beck, John Watson, and John Carroll who located it about three month ago.  The vein of ore runs from three to five feet and the rock is similar to the Wedge, Kenyon and Butte.  Free gold is visible in much of it and it assays from $50 to $150 per ton.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

April 12, 1897: “RICH ORE is reported from the Eclipse to the east of the Val Verde group and a good many people are visiting that locality.”   Los Angeles Daily Times

April 28, 1897:“SEVERAL OTHER VERY GOOD PROSPECTS have been discovered and are now being worked in the same neighborhood just east of the Val Verde.” James and Sam Montgomery, William Beck, and John Wilson have a group of mines in this locality called the Gotham, Algonquin, Eclipse and W. J. Bryan, located last October, and on each of which some work has been done, but nothing rich was struck until a few days ago.  The Eclipse and W. J. Bryan run northwest and southeast, and when located were supposed to join lengthwise, but a survey afterward disclosed the fact that a small fraction or wedge lying between which they located as the Bryan Wedge No. 1.  It was on this that their richest ore was struck,  Four and one-half tons milled at Koehn Springs returning $670 in bullion, or nearly $150 per ton, with four sacks of the cleanup yet to be tested which will probably worth $50 or more.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

January 31, 1898: “J. S. Salkey of Los Angeles, an owner in the Johannesburg Gold Mining company’s mines at this place, was a visitor here this week.” – The Herald

May 19, 1900: “NOTICE OF FORFEITURE filed against the heirs of William Beck on the Algonquin, Gotham, Eclipse, W. J. Bryan and Bryan Wedge, by James Montgomery.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times


January 14, 1897:“G. W. BLODGETT, a Los Angeles man, who came in here about a month ago and went quietly to work looking over the ground, has struck quite a good vein of paying ore out a little south of Johannesburg and is quietly working it.  He has already been offered $500 for a half interest, but refused it. This shows that the country, although pretty thouroughly prospected, still contains some unfound fortunes.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

March 2, 1897: “G. W. BLODGETT, a Los Angeles man and nearly 70 years of age, met with a serious accident a day or two ago.  He was thrown from a wagon backward upon his head, and came near dislocating his neck.  As it is he cannot turn his head either way, suffers considerable pain and owing to his advanced age it will be some time before he is himself again.  Dr. Garrison was called upon to attend him.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

August 29, 1897: “G. M. Blodgett, who has been spending the summer near San Bernardino, returned to Johannesburg the first of the week.” – The Herald

September 2. 1898:  “This week the Rustler mine changed hands, Edmund Bryden buying it of G. W. Blodgett. This mine lies between the Alameda mine and the town of Johannesburg, and will no doubt prove a paying investment to its owner. The locator, G. W. Blodgett Is an old man, bowed with the weight of his three score years and ten, but with all that he has more energy and vim than many a younger man. He prospected the ground, found a ledge and opened up the property himself. There is never a day, however warm, that he is not to be seen prospecting around on some of the hills, and a short time ago he found the ledge on the Windy claim where they are sinking shaft No. 2. He found some quartz in the dirt around a squirrel’s hole took it home and horned it; the hornings were so good that he dug down a few Inches and uncovered the ledge.” – The Herald


June 10, 1897:  “MR. BAKER, ALSO IN CONNECTION WITH LUCKY BALDWIN, at the time of the latter was here, purchased of Ellis Crawford and Richards, the George Cook mine, adjoining the Val Verde on the west.  Mr. Baldwin was very favorable impressed with the camp and will not only return here soon to make a more extended investigation, but has given Mr. Baker instructions to look out for him in his absence.

June 12, 1897: “Messrs. Baker and Baldwin in the George Cook mine, adjoining the Val Verde, and but a little distance from their lower workings, have two men at work, and have discovered a six foot vein or or worth $20 a ton, and naturally feel pretty sanguine over it.  Mr. Baker left for Los Angeles this evening, but expects to be back in a few days, when they will endeavor to get water sufficient from some source to erect a mill and work their own ore. “  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

SIXTEEN TO ONE, (Double Standard)

January 1904:  “LOCATION other than near Johannesburg not reported.  Supposedly developed by two 40 foot incline shafts and 80 foot of drifts.  Owner was Griffith Barris of Randsburg.”  – Aubrey


1962:  “IN 1933 a mine by the name of Topsy was reported to be located in sec. 36, T29S, R40E, MDM near Johannesburg.  No other data is available.  – Kern County Report #1


August 25, 1897: “Last week Messrs. Montgomery and Burns received $700 from seventy sacks of ore taken from the W. J. Bryan mine one mile north of Johannesburg. ” – The Herald

January 16, 1898: “RANDSBURG A rich streak of ore was discovered in the William J. Bryan mine today, 16 to 18 Inches in width.  Samples seen by the writer show rich clusters of free gold. W. Walker, who has a cyanide works at Victor, Cal., Is here, offering to reduce ores for $7 per ton, Including shipping. A shipment was made today as test sample from the Rademacher mine, mine.” – The Herald

February 06, 1898: From the William J. Bryan mine a strike is reported of still richer ore.” – San Francisco Call

February 12, 1898:“THE W. J. BRYAN MINE, north of the Alameda, near Johannesburg, owned by the Montgomery Bros, but leased by Weikle and the new mill people, is showing up in great shape.  Only a little work has developed a fifteen inch vein of ore, and some of it assays $1500 a ton.”  —  Los Angeles, The Saturday Times and Weekly Mirror

January 28, 1898: “The richest ore ever discovered in the Rand district was uncovered in the William J. Bryan mine last week by Messrs. Rehm & Sexton, who have a lease on the same. The rock was found at a depth of twenty feet, and in all 400 pounds were taken out. That extracted assayed at the rate of $10,000 to the ton.” – The Herald

May 19, 1900:“JAMES MONTGOMERY and his partners had a nice clean-up this week at the Kinyon Mill, the result of a runo of seven tons of ore from the Bryan mine.”  —  Randsburg Miner

GRANNIS LAND CO. ( Juanita W., Terre Marie )

The Office Of The Grannis Land Company Was Located In the Building In The Left Foreground on Butte Ave. In Randsburg. Collection of Craig Mason

January 1904: “JUANTIA W. is a patented mine located in the vicinity of Johannesburg, at section36, T29, R40.  It was developed by four incline shafts from 40 to 100 feet deep and 90 feet of drifts.  In 1904 it was owned by J. R. Parker.”  – Aubrey

January 1904:“TERRE MARIE MINE was located ins section 36, T29, R40 near Randsburg,  It was developed by a 50 foot incline shaft and 350 feet of drift.  It was owned by Mr. Benson from Randsburg.”  – Aubrey

July 4, 1904:“FOR SALE—240 acres of Mining Land belonging to the Grannis Land Co., situated in the heart of the Randsburg district adjacent to the Butte, King Solomon, Ajax, and Windy mines.  Illingworth, Tate, Pierce and Baker have been working one hole on this property on a lease and have just melted at the Phoenix mill a $3,000 brick from the first ore taken out, amounting to 47 tons.  Lease expires July 1.  There are other good properties on this land and we want a practical mining man to take hold.  For particulars address C. L. Smythe, 308 Los Angeles St., Los Angeles.”  —  Randsburg Miner

1904: “CLAIMS WERE LOCATED  in the boundaries of the town of Johannesburg and were declared invalid when mineral rights to section were established by court decree to belong to purchaser of section.

Golden rule had a 100 foot incline shaft a 250 foot tunnel and 300 feet of drifts.

Terre Marie –SW ¼ sec. 36, T29S, R40E, MDM. Dates to 1904 and had a 50-foot inclined shaft and 350 feet of drift.” - Mineral Resources of Kern County


Windy Mine Photo by Dewey Hooker

April 5, 1896: Mineral Survey No. 4422, Independence Land District, claim located April 5, 1896 surveyed February, 1905, known as Windy Quartz Mine, owned John Singleton, improvements consisting of 1. Discovery Shaft (incline), Value $6000, 2. Shaft $60, 3. Incline Shaft $2400, 4. Incline Shaft $500, 5. Incline Shaft $600, 6. Incline Shaft $500, 7. Shaft $40. located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, southeast ¼ of sec. 26., and southwest corner of section 25.

June 14, 1898: “WORK IS BEING PUSHED ON THE WINDY MINE. The main shaft is down over eighty feet and when the 100-foot level is reached adrift will be run in both directions. This shaft has been made a double compartment one, and a whim will be put in in a few days. At shaft No. 2 the workmen are down about sixty feet and are takingout good ore. Several buildings have been erected on the claim and an ore house is soon to be built” – The Herald

July 24, 1898: “July 22.—After having the matter under advisement for six months or more, the Judge has rendered a decision in the case of the “Windy” or “Rocket” claim, and has decided in favor of L. A. Scott and against the Ashford brothers, or “King Solomon boys,” as they are more generally called. In the spring of ’96 the King Solomon boys located the Rocket and did some work. At about the same time L. A. Scott located the same ground under the name of the Windy claim. One morning when the King Solomon boys went to work they found Scott in possession and ready to back up his claim with a shotgun. The case was taken to the courts, with the results noted above. There is still a chance for “one more guess” at it, and it is probable the Ashford Bros, will carry it to the Supreme Court. While Scott was in possession he sunk about forty feet and took out in the neighborhood of $1,500, $1,200 of which is held by injunction in a bank awaiting the result of the trials. In the fall permission was given by the Judge for both parties to do their assessment work. Each drifted fifteen feet, and the ore was put on the dump, only to be stolen by some unknown parties. The first murder committed in Randsburg was the outcome of a quarrel between Scott and his partner, Richardson, over this mine. Scott was tried and sentenced to ten years in San Quentin, but appealed the case, and is now lying in Jail at Bakersfield awaiting a new trial. In all probability it was the richness of this mine that saved his neck from stretching, and it is a pity it is so, for the murder was cold-blooded and deserved the full penalty of the law.” – The Herald

August 10, 1898: “SEVERAL MEN HAVE BEEN PUT TO WORK on the Windy claim, and It is said to be Mr. Singleton’s Intention to keep two shifts of men at Work. ” – The Herald

October 03, 1898:  “The Two Shafts- The two shafts on Col. Singleton’s Windy mine have been sunk 114 feet, and cross-cutting for the main ledge was begun last week. Early this week it was tapped by No. 1 cross-out and a four-foot body of ore encountered. The Windy now employs fifteen men and is kept running night and day.” – The Herald

December 19, 1898:  “The Windy mine has struck a thirty-inch vein running from ?00 to $400. .”  — The Sun

December 24, 1898:  “FROM RANDSBURG comes the report of a rich strike in the Windy mine at a depth of forty feet.  The mine is about one-half mile north of Randsburg.  The main shaft is down about 150 feet, but the richest ore, so far taken out, comes from above that depth.  In this last strike of ore is reported to run as high as $400 per ton.” –Corona Courier

March 1899:“MR. POMROY arrived in camp in the early part of August 1896, and is therefore a pioneer.  He immediately went to work in the Wedge mine, where he remained for over a year, being compelled to lay off on account of sickness.  As soon as he regained his health he was employed by the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, where he remained for over a year, which position he gave up to take one in the Windy, which is owned by Mr. Singleton, the manager of the Yellow Aster Company.  Mr. Pomroy is known to be a good miner, and is fully capable of filling any position assigned to him.”  –  McPherson

October 19, 1904:  “Joe Wilson, an old time miner, of Jerome, had his leg fractured in the Windy mine at Randsburg, California. Mr. Wilson has the sympathy of all of his Jerome friends, who hope for his early recovery.” – Weekly Arizona Journal-Miner

May 18, 1905: G. W. LLOYD has just milled 100-tons of ore from the Windy mine which turned out better that ten dollars per ton.  He has a crew of men at work and the mine is looking better all the time.”  –  Randsburg Miner

January 22, 1911: “WINDY MINE—The Windy mine has produced ‘ some * phenomenally rich ore-during the past 12 months under  the direction of  Pat Faheyas ‘lessee. In April one milling of eight tons was made which yielded over $3,000. Fahey is at present at work on a small lead of $100. ore and Is taking out a considerable quantity, of low grade rock. Several hundred tons of ore worth $5 to $6 per ton hive been placed on the dumps.’  – San Francisco Call

June 9, 1912:  “P, FAHEY finished a milling from the Windy last week- About 32 tons averaged $60.”  —  San Francisco Call

1915:  “WINDY GOLD MINE, controlled by John Singleton, of Randsburg, owns 90 acres in Sec. 34, T. 30. S., R. 40 E., M. D. M., in the Rand District, about ¾ of a mile west of Johannesburg, at an  elevation of 3800 feet.  Property leased to Fahey Bros. Small vein in schist, high grade ore, free milling.  Workings consist of a shaft 200” deep, drifts, and stopes.  Equipment consists of a horse-whim, cars, shop and dwelling Ore is shipped to the Red Dog custom mill.  Ore runs from $40 to $300 per ton.  Two men employed.” – G. Chester Brown.

October 3, 1921: “Leasers on the Windy mine are in good milling ore.” – Bakersfield Californian

May 26, 1923: ”There is nothing definite as to the immediate opening up of Windy mine by its Long Beach purchasers. ”—Bakersfield Californian

August 24, 1925:  “INCORPORATION ARTICLES FOR RANDSBURG FIRM—Articles of Incorporation of the Randsburg Development Company, a mining company capitalized for $200,000 and organized by Los Angeles residents, were filed in the office of the county clerk in San Bernardino last week.

The directors of the corporation are W J. Quackenbust, Branch H. Smith, John J. Hefferin, Jessie Elliott and A. L. Wilson.  The corporation will operate a general mining business in the Randsburg field, according to the incorporation papers.”—Bakersfield Californian

April 1926:  “WINDY SURFACE ORES – Randsburg Development Company Reports Important Disclosures.  Oliver A. Phillips, of Randsburg, Kern County, superintendent for the Randsburg Development Co., writes that some very good ore is being uncovered in virgin territory of the company’s Windy Mine.  The foundation for the new milling plant, now in course of construction, has been completed, and the superstructure, with which to house the new plant, is about finished.  The company is also constructing ore bins, and installing the ore crusher, the expectation being that the mine will soon be on a producing basis.  The company estimated from 45,000 to 50,000 tons of free-milling $12 ore in sight, which will furnish a regular supply for the mill, while blocking out of an additional tonnage is carried on.  Mr. Phillips says that Randsburg “is taking on the life of a real mining camp.””—Southwest Mining News Service

May 13, 1926:  “ACTIVE PREPARATIONS FOR MILLING ore are proceeding at the Windy gold property, owned by the Randsburg Development Company of which William Quackenbush of Wilmington is president.  Mr. Quackenbush announces that a 50-ton rod mill will be in operation within 30 days.

In the Windy between 30,000 and 50,000 tons of ore are in sight.  It runs, according to company officials, about $12 to the ton.  The shaft is down 200 feet and the company intends to block out more ore as soon as the mill begins operations.” – Bakersfield Californian

June 28, 1926: “PLAN DEVELOPMENT OF RANDSBURG MINE –Enlargement of the milling equipment of the Windy mine of the Rand Development Company to care for at least 100 tons of ore daily is being planned, it is said.  The present capacity is 50 tons daily.

Officials of the company declare that the change can be made at little expense, the foundations at the mill having been originally laid for heavy duty equipment.

Twelve dollars a ton in gold and recovery of 96 per cent of the assay value of the heads is obtained in operating the claim, it is reported.” –Bakersfield Californian


-December 12, 1922:  “MINING COMPANY FILES INCORPORATION ARTICLES.—The Johannesburg Gold Mines Company, incorporated under the laws of Arizona filed its articles of incorporation with the county clerk today.  The Capital stock of the corporation of $1,000,000 and the directors are H. W. Dorsey, Albert Chapelle,, J. J. Mellis. Geo. W. Haideman, Toppy Johnson, W. B. Davis and A. G. Shaw.” – Daily Californian

JOBURG DIVIDE (Sta Stuck, Joburg Divide Fraction, Joburg Divide, Joburg Divide No. 2, and B & M Fraction Lodes)

June 25, 1922:“MINERAL SURVEY No. 5632, surveyed June 25, 1922, known as Sta Stuck, Joburg Divide Fraction, Joburg Divide, Joburg Divide No. 2, and B and M Fraction Lodes, owned by Charles Norman and J. Robert Burns, improvements consisting of 9 shafts, valued at $3800.  Located west half of sec. 31, T29S, R.41E.,M.D.M. Among the more recent workings (chiefly silver prospects) which the writer was unable to visit may be mentioned the Joburg Divide just east of Johannesburg.”  –  Hulin

January 28, 1924:  Chas. Norman has broken ground for a shaft on his group adjoining the Alameda mine.”—Bakersfield Californian

GOLDEN RULE GROUP (Aurora, Drury and Star)

FRED L. JOHNSON, "He is known to be a good miner, and his judgement of any property can be acted upon. He is a pleasant, sociable man, and very popular among his many friends, who hope his judgement is correct in these mines of which he thinks more of than any other of the many in which he is all or part owner." - McPherson

June 16, 1898: “THE GOLDEN RULE MINE, a new one, adjoining the King Solomon on the north, is developing nicely.  The mine is owned by Johnson and Taylor, and a few weeks ago was offered to some Santa Paula people of $1200.  Now it would require another cipher to buy it.  It has an eight-foot ledge at forty feet depth, four feet of this going way up in value.  There will soon be a mill run from it, and an accurate estimate will then be formed or its actual value.”–  Los Angeles Daily Times

August 10, 1898: “LAST WEEK THE GOLDEN RULE had a mill run of 23 tons at the Eureka mill at Randsburg and another 16-ton lot at the Johannesburg reduction works. ” – The Herald

October 03, 1898:  “C. A. Burcham this week bonded the Golden Rule group near Johannesburg. This property is owned by Messrs Johnson, Taylor and Spencer, and shows several big and strong ledges.” – The Herald

March, 1900: “THE GOLDEN RULE GROUP, consisting of the Golden Rule, Aurora, Drury, and Star are owned by Messrs. Johnson and Taylor.  These claims are within a quarter of a mile of the town site of Johannesburg, and are fairly well exploited by shafts and tunnels.  Enough work has been done to demonstrate that they are good properties.

The claims extend westerly, and are only a short distance from the Butte, Wedge, Kinyon, and Little Butte.  There is not doubt the same ore body extends through them that has been found in the above mentioned claims;  in face the croppings have been followed  on the surface, and a tunnel  and shaft sunk, considerable drilling has been done, and the ore milled as high as $200 per ton.  The ledge was followed down from the surface seventy-five feet, as which point it was fully three feet in width, and seven tons was milled at the Red Dog, from which was obtained and average of $18 per ton.  There is no doubt it will improve as depth is made, or that some other part of the vein will show better results.

The owners are now running drifts along the ledge, both east and west, on which they find the ore continues to hold out about the same.  The owners intend to continue the shaft where it was started unless richer ore is found in either of the drifts in which they are now working.  The drift to the west is over 100 feet from the shaft, as the hill slopes to the east the drift on the ledge is in every sense a tunnel.  Even now they are about 200 feet from the surface; and if good ore is found is will be easily taken out.”  – McPherson

October 27, 1900: “GOLDEN RULE MINE has 20 tons of ore at the Red Dog mill to be milled.”  - Randsburg Miner

January, 1904:“LOCATED IN SECTION 36, T29, R40 near Randsburg,  Developed by a 100 foot incline shaft, 250 foot tunnel and 300 feet of drifts.  It is owned by C. S. Taylor of Randsburg.”  –   Aubrey

January 16, 1904: “MESSRS TAYLOR AND TILLMAN are taking out ore on the Golden Rule.”  -  Randsburg Miner

January 23, 1904:  “MESSERS. TAYLOR AND TILLMAN have struck some pretty good ore in a new lead recently opened up in the Golden Rule.  The strike was made in a peculiar formation, the bull quartz carrying the values and showing free gold.  The lead has not been opened sufficiently to determine the extent of the strike.”  Randsburg Miner

February 6, 1904:“SNOW’S MILL will begin milling ore from the Golden Rule next week. This property is being worked by Messers. Taylor and Dillman.”  Randsburg Miner


July 27, 1908: William Cheeseborough, proprietor of the Johannesburg hotel, recently purchased a town lot here, and on examining an old prospect shaft that had been sunk on the ground in early days he discovered a two-foot ledge of good ore. Building plans were hastily canceled and active mining operations begun on the new find. A local band of swine is now gladly welcomed and is being allowed all of the various back yards by the many house wives with the hope that the animals’well known proclivities may result in new ledges being unearthed. ,” – The Herald


1962: 30’s placer mine north end of town of Johannesburg,  May be shaft which is about ¼ mile west side of Operator Divide mine, on southwest side of shallow stream channel. Developed by shaft to bedrock and 2 drifts, one was driven 50 feet to southeast , the other was driven 40 feet to northwest.  – Mines and Minerals of Kern Countty California,  California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report


October 30, 1897:  “Development work has been commenced on the Compliment claim, situated just north of the town of Johannesburg. From the surface there has been a well-defined ledge, which has horned well. At a depth of 14 feet the ledge is two feet wide, and the ore taken out will run about $35 per ton. The owners of the claim are Messrs. Coburn, Miles and Buckley. – The Herald


April 2, 1898:  “A FOURTEEN-INCH VEIN OF GOLD ORE has been encountered in the Camperdown, at Randsburg, that horns well, and much of it will go $100 per ton.” –Corona Courier

April 06, 1898: “A couple of weeks ago mention was made of the striking of a 14-inch ledge of good ore at the Camperdown mine. Last week, at the 260-foot level, a ledge from five to six feet wide was uncovered, the ore from which will run from $12 to $25 per ton.” – The Herald

December 24, 1898:  “A couple of weeks ago mention was made of the striking of a 14-inch ledge of good ore at the Camperdown Mine. Last week, at the 260-foot level, a ledge from five to six feet wide was uncovered, the ore from which will run from $12 to $25 rer ton. – The Herald


October 17, 1898: “The Golden Rule Group, near Johannesburg, has been sold to C. A. Burcham of the Yellow Aster Company.”  — The Sun


January 11, 1898: “A LUCKY WHEELMAN. Howard Squires, the Crack Amateur Rider, Finds Rich Claim at Johannesburg. A letter to a prominent cycler here from a friend In Randsburg states that Howard Squires, the Acme Club’s crack amateur rider, who has been attending the University of California and whose home is at Johannesburg, struck It rich in the mines there on his recent vacation. He has discovered several good claims, notably the Cryptogram Wedge in Shirt-tail Hollow, which he has refused $10,000.  Fuller Gates, the well-known writer on cycling topics>


July 6, 1908: “FOUR FOOT LEDGE IS ENCOUNTERED – Find At Randsburg Runs $40 In Average – Special to the Herald. Johannesburg, July 5. – Prominent among this week’s showings in the local field was the four-foot ledge of $40 ore encountered at the 50-foot level in a new shaft being sunk by Jack Jeffords on his America group of  claims just north or Randsburg.  The main shaft on the America is down 250-feet and over 20,000 tons of ore have been blocked out.  There are 2000 tons of ore on the dump and a five stamp mill is contemplated.” – The Los Angeles Herald

This entry was posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top