January 15, 1897: In the Rademacher district there is much activity in mining. Forty-seven camps have been established. Considerable work is being done on Dr. Echafer’s mine, and also on the Rademacher, Louis Riggs’, McKinney Brothers’ and the O’Connor and Rutherford properties. A couple of arrastras are being run in that district. At present most of the ore is being shipped to Kernville. A Huntington mill is now being erected at Higgens’ Wells, which will be of great benefit to the mine and claim owners of the Rademacher district. This district is blessed with plenty of water, it being found at a distance of thirty feet beneath the surface.” –San Francisco Call
June 07, 1898: “The Rademacher district is a gold-bearing country, chiefly of high grade sulphates. It lies due west of Garden Station, a short distance inside of Kern county line. A good deal of development work is being done on the Rademacher mines, and in one of the shafts a good flow of water has just been struck. The owners of the property were just as glad over the strike as they would have been over an unexpected strike of a rich pocket of gold, as the water assures them an ample quantity for milling and domestic purposes. – The Herald
July 20, 1908: “The McCuen Mining and Milling company has just completed the erection of a modern five-stamp mill near El Paso peak, In the Rademacher district. Plenty of water is available at the mill site, and the company owns several low grade ore properties in the vicinity.” – Los Angeles Herald
July 27, 1908: “RADAMACHER TO BE A GREAT DISTRICT CLAIM HOGGING PROBLEM IS BEING OVERCOME — Lack of Water for Milling Purposes Will Be Supplanted with Abundance through Modern Methods Engineer C. A. Churchill has just made a tour of the Radamacher miming district and reports that the district will surely prove a great mining center. In the southeast township of the Radamacher mining district, Kern County, about a dozen miles north of Randsburg, a general revival of mining interest is in progress. Numerous prospectors have been actively searching the district for open ground for locations. The entire district has been for many years heavily handicapped and its destiny retarded by two forces or causes, each operating to check all material development and advancement in this splendidly mineralized area. Happily, today each factor is rapidly being eliminated and the long locked-up wealth of mineral will be open to capital and to labor. For years a few Individuals have held every promising .vein outcrop and it is charged that as many as two hundred claims have been held by a single person. The stringent local mining laws are rapidly correcting this evil. The second cause, a natural one, has been the greater incubus and that has been the total lack of water for milling use. Today, through the enterprise of C. L. Best of San Leandro and the energy of his superintendent, F. W. McCue, this district has an ample water supply and a fine quartz mill of thirty tons’ capacity.
Is a Gravity Flow
The water is a gravity flow from the long tunnel, four miles distant from the mill in the higher mountains, and was developed by these men solely for the purpose of obtaining this fine water supply. The mill is completed and a fine one from a mechanical point of view. It is a stamp mill and arastra combined, with a latest improved Gates concentrator of great capacity. The miners and prospectors have been promised the privilege of sampling their ores at this mill, which is in charge of Charles Buck, an able and esteemed mill man. The mine for which this mill was erected is the Gold Bug property, recently acquired by C. Best; it is developed by a 306-foot shaft, with levels run each fifty feet, the stopes going to the surface and showing varying width of ore body from one to eight feet. Very little timbering was done in this mine, the ground standing very finely—pillars of ore remaining where timbering would be required. There is no record obtainable of this fine property, the former lessee having transported all of the ore out of the district for treatment and at a heavy expense.
The Southern Pacific railroad is now rapidly building across the district, diagonally crossing southeast to northwest to the base of the east flank of the Sierra Nevada’s, sixteen miles distant, to the line of the Los Angeles aqueduct. Both power and water have been promised this region by the aqueduct engineers. Time will give them an opportunity to furnish it. The mineralization in this new yet old district is extensive; the vein system is not apparently a complex one. The main ore bodies are fissure veins. – The Herald
February 14, 1897: “The Downing Mining Company of Visalia has bought a large interest in the Rademacher mine, Kern County. A crosscut has turned up a 20-foot ledge of good ore.” – The Herald
November 23, 1897: “Word has been brought in from the Radamacher district that a big strike has just been made in the Radamacher mine. It was said the ore would run from $900 up. ” – The San Francisco Call
September 05, 1897: “In the El Paso group, commencing eight miles north of Goler, is the Rademacher group of mines, the property of the Visalia M. & M. Company, Garlock. There is a 100-foot shaft on the main ledge in one claim. A drift from the shaft is in 50 feet on the ledge at the 100-foot level. There is 150 tons of rich ore on the dump.” – The Herald
January 16, 1898: “W. Walker, who has a cyanide works at Victor, Cal., is here, offering to reduce ores for $7 per ton, including shipping. A shipment was made today as a test sample from the Rademacher mine.” – The Herald
November 17, 1897: “At the Baron mine In the Rademacher district of Kern county everything looks favorable. The ore is rich in sulphurets and is all of high grade, much of it running from $SOO to $1200 per ton. The shaft is down 100 feet and a drift 126 feet in length has been run. No person knows the extent of the vein, as the hanging wall has not yet been discovered, although a crosscut of twenty feet from the foot wall has been made. The Baron is owned by E. Downing of Visalia.” – The Herald.
December 19, 1897: “
GOLD BUG MINING AND MILLING COMPANY
September 11, 1897: “These mines are located in what is known as the Randemacher Distict (formerly a part of the El Paso district) adjoining the Rand District on the North, twelve miles north of Randsburg. They are both full claims and belong to the Gold Bug Mining and Milling Company which is incorporated under the laws of Arizona. The capital stock is $2,000,000 in the same number of shares, and the office of the company are in the Byrne Block. Los Angeles. Five hundred thousand shares have been set aside for sale, the proceeds from such sales to be exclusively devoted to the development of the properties. The shares are non-assessable. The head office of the company are in Los Angeles, and the directors are: F. E. Kearney, president; D. C. Arlington, secretary; Otis Rutherford, treasurer; F. Bullard, Thomas L. Neal, and H. D———-.
The first assays made by the locators of these two mines were of samples taken from about ten feet below the surface. Three were made, and they went $30, $90 and $110 in gold per ton. The first two tons of ore taken out and milled produced $20 per ton in free gold, and the concentrates from that lot assayed $356 per ton. Five tons of the ore were sent to the Johannesburg Sampling Works, from which a return of $350 was made being at the rate of $76 to the ton. Some assays of ore from these mines were made by Hubbell & Company of Randsburg, the average value of which was $83.27 per ton in gold. The company sent a sack of ore to the Tucson Sampling Works, and their report was $44.73 per ton in gold, the assays ranging from $1 to $138 per ton. Some assays were made which went as high as $780 per ton.
The bulk of the ore, is not entirely free milling, and treatment of it shows that the best results have been obtained from the cyanide process. The fact having been established to the satisfaction of the directors of the company they have decided to erect a cyanide plant of their own on the property that will treat from twenty to forty tons a day. Fortunately they have an abundant supply of water to work a cyanide plant close to their mines.
In the Gold Bug mine there are two well defined ledges, and one in the Treasure. They are true fissure veins, with granite feet and hanging walls with here and there some porphyry. There are two shafts down in the Gold Bug, one the air shaft, the other the working shaft. The former is down over forty feet, is well timbered and shows ore from surface to bottom. The vein varies from six inches to four feet, and is well filled with porphyry and talc. The working shaft is down about one hundred and fifty feet, at an angle of 62 degrees and is securely timbered to the one-hundred foot level. In this shaft the pay streak is larger than in the other. At the fifty-foot level a ninety foot drift shows good pay ore both bottom and top, and about the same quality of ore is seen in the level that connects the two shafts.
At the 100 foot level two drifts have been ran each way thirty-five feet. They have got 700 tons of ore blocked out and have at the present time____ore in the bin. During the summer work on the mine paused for a time, but active operations are to begin again, and at once.
On the treasure mine there has not been much work done accept to open up and expose about three hundred feet of the ledge which assays high. Both properties are well equipped with assay outfit, buildings, and furnaces, so that all ores can be tested at the mines without waste of time or expense of hauling.
OPHIR SILVER MINE
July 24, 1898: “Mrs. M. L. Ferguson has established a permanent camp at the Ophlr silver mine across the valley and will proceed at once to develop the property and find out the true value of it.—Randsburg Miner.” – The Record Union
February 21, 1898: “RADEMACHER DISTRICT- Mr. J. W. Duval gives good reports of affairs in Rademacher camp, where big mines of high-grade ore are the rule. He tells us that the Rademacher or Baron mine is turning out some very fine rock; they are down 150 feet with some drifts and crosscuts that show good results, and have about 50 tons of ore on the dump that will average $100 to the ton. On the Badger, owned by Duval Bros, and some Loa Angeles parties, there is a shaft down seventy-five feet, with a drift fifty feet, and they are taking out ore that assays from $85 to $689 per ton. This ore is in bunches in the vein matter, which is from three to six feet between the walls, and is accompanied by about two feet of red talc, which is so tough that it has to be chiseled out. They expect to get a good thing in this property when they get down deeper on it.” – The Herald
September 05, 1897: In the same section McKenna Brothers have one good mine in course of development, and are taking out high grade ore.” — The Herald
December 19, 1897: “McKinney Bros. & Sprouse have given a one-fifth interest in their mine to a Mr. Hoogstraat for 400 feet of development work, and on this deal a shaft 100 feet deep has been sunk in ore, and a well is now being sunk, in which they expect to strike water in about forty feet. It is said that a mill will be built on this property during the coming year. The vein has an average width of fourteen feet, and is considered a pretty good stringer.” – The Herald ( Reserchers Note: The McKinney Bros. were located in the Rademacher area. Their brother Jim Mckinney was a noted outlaw about which several books have been written, Shotguns on Sunday being one of them. Several posses came through the are looking for him.)
SEARLES MINING AND MILLING COMPANY
December 17, 1911: “BONNER AND DEXTER PURCHASED — The Searles Mining and Milling company, a California corporation, composed of Los Angeles men, has purchased the Bonner and Dexter mine from Otis Rutherford of Big Pine. The property is situated in the Radamacher district of Kern county, about 11 miles north of the Yellow Aster mine at Randsburg. The company will at once begin the improvement of the property and expects to have a mill working in the near future. —Randsburg Miner.
September 05, 1897: Near Willow Springs, in the same section, a Mr. Moore is developing a promising gold vein in shafts and tunnel.” — The Herald
MOUNTAIN CREST MINE
September 05, 1897: Higher up, near the summit of El Paso mountain, is the Mountain Crest mine, owned by Alfred James of Los Angeles. The shaft and tunnel show gold-bearing ore principally, but some chloride of silver.” — The Herald
C. F. HUNNINGTON MINE
April 29, 1897: “F. A. Huntington, of Oakland, a wealthy mill builder and contractor, has been investigating the water supply in the Rademacher district and contemplates erecting a mill in that vicinity. Ore from the Gold Bug and other mines in theRademacher district shows a plentiful sprinkling of gold and developing operations are being rapidly pushed.” – The Herald
May 04, 1913: “ The Nugget Mountain Gold Mining Company; which recently acquired extensive mining property near Nugget mountain, 15 miles northwest of Randsburg, has filed Articles of Incorporation. The directors are R. Huntington, W. Mcßride and E. M. Ward, all of Randsburg. The capital stock Is $1,000,000. Development work is planned for the near future. Randsburg Miner” –San Francisco Call
September 05, 1897: North of the Rademacher mines is the C. F. Huntington (manufacturer of the well known mill) group. A tunnel 150 feet on the main ledge shows rich free milling ore, and he is now sinking a shaft to the fifty-foot level and has opened a rich body of ore. He contemplates the early erection of a mill.” – The Herald
C. H. BELCHER GROUP
September 05, 1897: North of the above group (C. F. Hunnington) is the C. H. Belcher group, with a shaft thirty feet on the main ledge. He has struck a rich body of base ore, and assays show $54, $142 and $176 per ton.” — The Herald
W. T. GRANT & F. C. DESCENT
October 25, 1897: “W. T. Grant and F. C. Descent have just had a five ton sample of ore milled from Red Fox and White Wolf mines three miles northeast of Garden station. The ore milled a fraction over $50 to the ton. ´– The Herald
HEALD COAL FIELDS AND CLAY BEDS
September 05, 1897: “As will be seen or. the map, this mine is located five miles northwest of Garlock. It was located by Mr. F. H. Heald, formerly of Elsinore, who is well acquainted with coal and clays, and since sold to a Cripple Creek. Col., company for $30,000. The coal is bituminous and is an excellent quality of steam coal, and is now being used successfully at Garlock in the mills. With this coal is a most excellent quality of fire clay.” – The Herald
McCONNELL, PARKER, PRATT, HATOLDSON, AND FLANAGAN
July 22, 1897: “Quite a good deal has been said and written about coal discoveries in the desert, though but little credence was placed in their extent or character, as it was thought they were but small, in significant stringers and the coal of but a poor quality. Recently, however, W. B. McConnell, H. T. Parker, F. A. Pratt, J. A. Hatoldson and James Flanagan returned from the coal fields, which are located about twelve miles- from Randsburg, bringing with them samples of the coal, which is as fine as any indigenous to or ever introduced on the Pacific coast. They have become possessed of nine claims of 160 acres each, two of which they have bonded for $15,000. On the latter two claims, two veins, eighteen to twenty-four inches, have been uncovered, and they are increasing in width as they are being run in on. They have put a number of men at work, and are extracting two tons of coal a day to the man. Much of the coal is making its way to Randsburg and Garlock, and it finds a ready sale.” – The Herald
September 05, 1897: “This is situated on the east side of Black mountain, and is a famous old placer camp. A number of miners are dry washing there at the present time. At this point is the Heald coal mine, which is now being operated, and the coal is giving satisfaction in the mill, at Garlock. There are also valuable copper mines in the district, and there is abundance of wood and water for milling and camping purposes. ” – The Herald
THE CAVIL GOLD MINING AND MILLING PROPERTY
September 05, 1897: “The above company has a group of seven gold quartz claims in the Colorado camp, each 1500 by 600 feet. Most of the work has been done on the Heald or Discovery claim, which is a vast mass of ledges. This mine, properly opened, should be one of the best paying properties in the whole region, with plenty of cheap fuel and water within one-quarter of a mile of its dump. This group of mines was discovered two years ago and about eight tons of very rich float was found, but the main ledge was never discovered until a few days ago, as it was covered with drift and decomposed quartz. The ledge, where uncovered, is twelve feet wide and assays from $200 to $8OO per ton. The company is capitalized at $1,000,000, and shares are for sale at the Los Angeles mining and Stock Exchange. Judging from present prospects, the stock will be worth more than par within one year. The seven claims owned by this company were acquired from Mr. F. H. Heald of Garlock, Kern County, Cal., by quit claim deed, cash being paid for them. The Heald gold mine and the Gila Monster gold mine were located by Mr. Heald himself, while the others, the Cripple Creek, the Great Hesper, the Old Dominion, the Redding gold mine and the Mutual gold mine, were purchased by him and by him sold to this company, together with the two locations he himself made. The title of all these properties is perfectly clear and is now vested in the Cavil Gold Mining and Milling company. ” – The Herald
September 19, 1897: “The Cavil Gold Mining Company contemplates erecting a bucket tramway line to carry the ore to Garlock, a distance of 16.000 feet.” – The Herald
September 19, 1897: “James Smith has bonded his claim, near Garlock, to San Francisco parties for $50,000.” – The Herald
MAMMOTH COPPER MINE
September 19, 1897: “The Mammoth copper mine, near the coalmine, has probably been sold to San Francisco parties for $15,000.” – The Herald
October 1, 1896: “The Walkover mine opposite Garlock shipped six tons of ore Thursday to the reduction works at Shelby.” – The Californian
October 31, 1896: “W. P Watson & Co. owners of the Walkover group of mines near Garlock, will put a force of men to work about the 15th. They have some valuable property, which they intend to improve. They have also purchased a 40 stamp mill which they expect to have running by Christmas.” – The Californian
LEE COPPER MINE
October 18, 1897: “H. Lee has several men at work or the Copper mine, situated about three miles northeast of Garlock. The ore runs high in both gold and copper.” – The Herald
ORIOLE & ATLAS
November 22, 1897: “H. J. Noyes of Los Angeles and his brother have two good claims two miles north and east respectively from Garlock. The Oriole has a three-foot ledge on ore, which is base. The highest assays have been about $50 to the ton, the average $15. The other claim, Atlas, is not yet developed.” – The Herald
GARLOCK MINING BUREAU
October 7, 1897: “Garlock Mining Bureau. Principal place of business, Garlock, Kern County. Directors —J. E. McGinn, W. G. Ross, G. W. Pox, R. W. McGrew, Charles Orpin, all of Garlock. Capital stock, $50,000; subscribed stock, $14,000.Garlock Mining Bureau. Principal place of business, Garlock, Kern County. Directors —J. E. McGinn, W. G. Ross, G. W. Pox, R. W. McGrew, Charles Orpin, all of Garlock. Capital stock, $50,000; subscribed stock, $14,000.” – Record Union
November 22, 1897: “The Garlock mining bureau has been incorporated to work, buy or sell mines, do assessment work for interest in claims or on contract, etc. The company is incorporated under the laws of this state. The following are the officers of the company: Chas. Orpin, president; R. W. McGrew, vice president; O. W. Fox, secretary: J. E. McGinn, treasurer. There has been a branch office established in Randsburg and C. W. Fox, the secretary has charge of the branch.” – The Herald
J. D. SNYDER
October 18, 1897: “J. D. Snyder of Los Angeles is doing considerable work on his group of claims at Mesquite Springs, about two miles south of Garlock, and reports prospects as improving.” – The Herald
M. PAGE MINOR
October 18, 1897: “M. Page Minor of Arizona was in, Garlock several days this week, looking after his mining interest in this vicinity.” The Herald
FLETCHER & BALCH
January 21, 1899: “RANDSBURG MINER: Fletcher and Balch, who are sinking on the Little Nugget over beyond Garlock in Defiance district, brought in fifteen sacks of ore one day this week and had it run at the Eureka mill, just for a sample. It was worth at the rate of $60 per ton. They are down 40 feet and have two feet of such ore. This is the first time either of them has been in town since they went out to work, more than two months ago.” –Corona Courier
January 8, 1917: “MINING CLAIM FILED –H. E. Osburn – Red Group claims 1 to 6, about 4 ½ miles from Garlock, Black Mountain District.
January 8, 1917: “MINING CLAIM FILED —C. N. Reed and T. A. Weaver – Divide claim, Black Mountain District.” – Bakersfield Californian