MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION DK-02
BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962.
GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897.
GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged.
Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using up the most real estate.
For the purposes of organizing the mountain of information, we’ve created the Claims Category as a repository for the zillions of locations which ‘didn’t pan out’ or whose economic ore had played out before 1925.
Particularly in the beginning, many properties came under the classification of ‘Paper Claims’, held on the merest hint of color, or merely by virtue of their proximity to known producers and nuisance value . Indeed, parcels barely large enough for an out-house produced fabulous wealth, but they were the exception, and are dumped here.
Mark Twain defined a Mine as “a hole in the ground owned by a liar.” Where the holes are deep enough we’ve probably given it a feature article at: Randsburg>Mines.
Sorry if the organization seems confusing, kindly volunteer at the front desk to devise and implement improvements. – WJW
January 1904: “THIS CLAIM IS Located in section 2, T30, R40, it was an unpatented claim. It was developed by a 700 foot crosscut tunnel through Rand Mountain. It was owned by Consolidated Mines, P. H. McMahon manager.” – Aubrey
BURCHAM # 1
April 16, 1898: “GLENNIE AND HARRIS have taken up a lease on a portion of Burcham #1, and have already discovered a good twenty inch ledge that promises to pay them handsomely. The ledge horns well the entire length and on the foot wall there is a pay streak three inches wide that runs from $300 to $500 per ton.” — Daily Californian
June 1898: MILLING CHARGES for Ore from the Burcham #1 Claim, this was apparently leased to Fisher and Griggs in 1898. The lease did not however appear to be a paying proposition as their return on 62 Tons was only $39.00. – Collection of Rand Desert Museum
January 1904: LOCATED in section 2, T30, R40 near Randsburg. Developed by 65 foot vertical shaft, a 40 and 55 foot incline shafts, 100 ft. cut and 150 foot of drifts. Reportedly had a three stamp mill but as this was owned by the Atkinson Brothers it is assumed that this mill and the one reported and the Sunshine mine are the same. – Aubrey
June 18, 1904: NOTICE OF NON RESPONSIBILITY filed by T. W. Atkinson as owner for Bully Boy, Hatchet, and Sunshine.. – Randsburg Miner
HERCULES ( MINERS DREAM )
1962: LOCATED AT THE NE corner, sec. 2, T30S, R40E, MDM, in Fiddlers Gulch, ½ mile southeast of Randsburg Post Office. – Principal veins mined through two shafts about 300 feet apart which are connected with several hundred feet of drifts and stopes on vertical vein. It was mined mostly in 1930’s by lessees. . — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1
MABLE S. / MABEL S.
July 11, 1903: “L. D. DAVES AND J. J. NOSSER have a lease on the Mabel S. mine, near Randsburg. They have a 14 inch ledge which assays $30. They are sinking on the ledge. The claim adjoins the Yellow Aster on the west.” — The Mining and Scientific Press
January, 1904: THE MABLE S. is a patented mine, developed by 70 foot vertical shaft and 150 foot cut. It is owned by C. Asher of Randsburg.” – Aubrey
March 22, 1898: “ABOUT TWENTY TONS have recently milled at the Cuddeback Lake from the Nancy Hanks, one of the Rand Group, now being worked under a lease” – Los Angeles Daily Times
ROSE M. CLAIM
1962: LOCATED IN THE SW ¼ sec. 2, T30S, R40E, MDM of the Rand district. It is a fractional claim south of Nancy Hawks claim. It has a shallow vertical shaft. . – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1