BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962.
GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897.
GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged.
Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using up the most real estate.
For the purposes of organizing the mountain of information, we’ve created the Claims Category as a repository for the zillions of locations which ‘didn’t pan out’ or whose economic ore had played out before 1925.
Particularly in the beginning, many properties came under the classification of ‘Paper Claims’, held on the merest hint of color, or merely by virtue of their proximity to known producers and nuisance value . Indeed, parcels barely large enough for an out-house produced fabulous wealth, but they were the exception, and are dumped here.
Mark Twain defined a Mine as “a hole in the ground owned by a liar.” Where the holes are deep enough we’ve probably given it a feature article at: Randsburg>Mines.
Sorry if the organization seems confusing, kindly volunteer at the front desk to devise and implement improvements. – WJW
March, 1925: “THE BULLY BOY PROPERTY, composing 7 claims totaling 110 acres, is located nearly two miles due south of Randsburg. The property is operated by the United Mines Company, Inc. The property is developed by four shafts and over 2,000 feet of old underground openings, most of which are inaccessible. Of the shafts, two are old and inaccessible, one has recently been deepened to 100 feet, and the 4th vertical, is now down 70 feet and still sinking.
Most of the work on the property has been done on a narrow vein which, though narrow, varied considerably in thickness and is said to have carried good values. Much of the upper part of this vein was stoped years ago. The vein strikes N. 65 degrees E., dipping 53 degrees N.
The claims held by the United Mines Company are credited with a past production of about $120,000 in gold. – Hulin
January 20, 1897: “JUST WEST OF THE MATTIE lays the Bully Boy, owned by Coulters and Atkinson. This is an exceptionally rich but small vein, and they have taken out between three and five thousand dollars, some of the ore running as high as $200 per ton.” – Los Angeles Times
January 24, 1897: “A PARTY CONSISTING OF G. W. Chrisman, Leon Cerf, James Daly, and E. E. S. Hall of Ventura, G. L. Chamberlain, Mr. Forbes and the writer (C. J. McDivitt) of Randsburg, started out southwest yesterday to see the mines. The first one visited, was the Mattie, Mr. Wilkinson the owner and three men were at work and had quite a pile of sacks on the dump. Next the Bully Boy was visited, but no one was at work, and no information could be obtained.” – Los Angeles Times
January 28, 1897: “A RICH STRIKE was made today on the Bully Boy, out toward the Stringer country, and about one and a half miles from town. This mine has always shown wonderfully rich ore, but a very small vein. In one place it had apparently pinched out, but in sinking deeper a vein of high grade ore of several feet in thickness was reached.” – Los Angeles Times
August 23, 1897: “MR R. HUNTER of Los Angeles has been here since last Sunday, looking after his mining interests. Hunter and A. L. Stewart, a capitalist, of Los Angeles, own the Grey Eagle group of mines on the edge of Randsburg. Hunter and Prof. Inskeet of the Los Angeles Business College own the west extension of the Hard Cash mine, which prospects some. When the weather becomes a little cooler they propose to get some men to work developing this mine. Mr. Stewart has recently bonded the Bully Boy mine out in the Stringer district and is sinking a fifty-foot shaft.” — Los Angeles Daily Times
June 14, 1898: “Ore from the Bully Boy mine is being run at the Eureka, mill.” – The Herald
June 18, 1904: “NOTICE OF NON RESPONSIBILITYN filed by T. W. Atkinson as owner for Bully Boy, Hatchet, and Sunshine mines. – Randsburg Miner
1904: “LOCATED in section 2, T30, R40, near Randsburg. It was an unpatented claim, developed by three incline shafts of 75 to 190 feet deep, 50 feet of tunnel and 700 feet of drifts. It was owned by T. W. Atkinson, and J. F. Pitt of Randsburg.” — Aubrey
May, 1897: “THE CALIFORNIA RAND; Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897. It was discovered May 6, 1896. Shaft was down 60 feet. Owners were listed as W. W. Green, A. M. Mugler, F. D. Stevens, and R. E. Stevens. – Overland Magazine
May 1897: “CALIFORNIA RAND” Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897. It was discovered February 26, 1896. Shaft was 60 ft. Owners listed John Gilmore, Chris Matson, and Chas. Koehn.” – Overland Magazine
January 1904: LOCATED in section 11, T30, R40 near Randsburg. Developed by 150-foot vertical shaft, 1000 feet of open cut and 500 feet of drift. Owned by F. B. Layton of Los Angeles.” — Aubrey
DEAD SHOT QUARTZ CLAIM
March 21, 1897: “FOR SALE –$500—The Dead Shot Quartz mining claim, Randsburg; 20 acres. T. WIESENDANGER, 227 W. Second St. ” – The Herald
GOLD CROWN ( GOLD KING )
1962: “LOCATED at NW ¼ sec. 12, NE ¼ sec. 11, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 2 miles south of Randsburg. Three patented claims. Stringers are developed by shafts to a depth of at least 100 feet, and numerous open cuts. Talc or soapstone is exposed in open cuts. Undetermined production of gold and scheelite.” — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1
1915: “Gold Crown Consolidated, formerly known as Gold King Group, consisting of 46 acres, patented, is located in Secs. 11 and 12, T. 30 S., R. 40 E., M. D. M., 2 ½ miles south of Johannesburg in the Stringer mining district, at an elevation of 4000 feet. Owner H. W. Mauby, of Randsburg. Several veins from 5 to 20 feet wide in schist. Worked by means of shallow shafts and open cuts. Ore treated at Red Dog custom mill. Cost of hauling and milling is $5.50 per ton. Net profit per ton $20. Two men employed. Small producer.” – G. Chester Brown
1962: THE LA CROSSE WAS LOCATED AT NE ¼ sec. 11, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 1 ¾ miles southeast of Randsburg, southeast slope of Rand Mountain. – One claim. It was developed by several shafts from 20 to about 100 feet deep and about 400 feet of drifts. Its output was several hundred ounces of gold in 1909 from ore that contained about 3 ¼ ounces of gold per ton with minor production in 1937. — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1
December 26, 1897: “Fred L. Johnson, with the help of one man, took out eight tons of ore in two weeks from the La Crosse mine. Returns from the milling showed 40 ounces of gold, which brought him over $800, or a little over $100 per ton. This mine is located in the Stringer district” — The Herald
March 22, 1898: “JOHNSON AND A PARTNER have ten tons from the La Crosse now being hauled to the Eureka mill. This ore is exceptionally rich, and may run $200 or more. Free gold is visible in much of it.” Los Angeles Daily Times
September 23, 1898: “THE EUREKA MILL at Randsburg crushed four tons of ore from La Crosse mine in the Stringer district last week which went over $150 per ton. That mill also crushed tons of ore from the Napoleon, which averaged $100 per ton.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
July 11, 1903: “JENSON & HOFFMAN are working on the LaCrosse claim, adjoining the Sunshine mine, near Randsburg, say the Minor. They have sunk a shaft 130 feet and are crosscutting.” – The Mining and Scientific Press
August 29, 1903: “WIGGINS & SHORT are taking $90 ore out of the La Crosse claim.” — The Mining and Scientific Press
May 21, 1904: “T. W. HOFFMAN informs us that he has relinquished his lease on the La Crosse.” — Randsburg Miner
June 18, 1904: “NOTICE OF NON RESPONSIBILITY filed by H. P. Jensen as owner, for expenses of La Crosse.” — Randsburg Miner
January 1904: MINE IS LOCATED in section 2, T30, R40 near Randsburg. In 1904 it was an unpatented claim developed by three vertical shafts of 60 to 140 feet, two incline shafts of 80 and 85 feet, 200 feet of open cut and 400 feet of drift. It was owned by Jensen and Jewett of Randsburg.” Aubrey
January 23, 1904: MESSERS PETRAY, HOFFMAN AND FORD are doing development work on the LaCrosse. They are sinking a 70-ft. winze.” — Randsburg Miner
August 2, 1913: “NOTICE OF NON-RESPONSIBILITY—To Whom it May Concern—I will not be responsible for labor or material used in or on the Lacrosse quartz mine, situated in Rand Mining District, Kern County, Cal. Sept 18, ’07. O. B. Stanton” – Randsburg Miner
January 16, 1904: “TELLURIDE ORES are reported to have been found in La Crosse mine near Randsburg.” – San Francisco Call
July 09, 1911: BRYMER GROUP– tons of ore from the Magganeta mine were milled this
week at the Tip Top mill. The average recovery amounted to $126 per ton. The Magganeta is one of the Brymer group of claims and is situated in the Stringer district west of the Winnie mine.—Randsburg Miner. ” – San Francisco Call
July 30, 1911: “THE MANNANETTA is one of the Braymer Group of claims and is situated in the Stringer district west of the Winne mine. The property is owned and operated by T.B. Peterson and A. F. Dedjrick.” – San Francisco Call
MARGUERITE CLAIM / DEAD SHOT
Date: “GEORGE V. DAVIDSON sold a one-third interest in the Marguerite claim, out in the Stringer district a day of two ago for $1200 cash to D. K. Hudson of Portland. Davidson retains a third interest and George Kline is the owner of the other third. Mr. Davidson then bought of Frank Ranzolf a half interest in the Dead Shot mine, lying just north of the Marguerite for $400 cash. These mines both lie a little south of the Winnie mine, recently purchased with the Yucca Tree by Savage of San Jose.” Source
MARVEL GOLD MINING AND MILLING COMPANY
November 11, 1897: “THE MARVEL GOLD MINING AND MILLING COMPANY has been incorporated under the laws of Colorado; capital stock $500,000, at a par value of $1, fully paid and non-assessable. The property of the company is located in the Stringer district, Randsburg, in the immediate neighborhood of several well-known and producing mines. The directors are W. H. Faust of Los Angeles. Angus Matheeon of Randsburg, R. S. Dyas of Los Angeles.” – The Herald
1962: LOCATED IN SE ¼ sec. 11, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 2 miles south of Randsburg. One patented claim. The principal mining was in 1905-1908, 1910, -1912, and 1933- 1936. Total gold output is several hundred ounces from ore that averaged ½ to 2/3 ounces per ton. Tungsten output undetermined but probably a few hundred units. The mine was developed by 10 shafts on the south part of claim to maximum depth of at least 300 feet and a few thousand feet of horizontal workings. Stopes extend to surface along large part of the stringers. There are lesser workings on north part of claim. It has been mined by several lessees and small mining companies. – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Divisions of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.
January 20, 1897: “LOCATED JUST BELOW THE Winnie, with rich stringers of the riches quartz running in many directions. Several leasers are at work and doing well. At every shaft many tons of ore are sacked, waiting to be milled. This is perhaps as rich as any section around Randsburg, but the veins of ore are small and particularly adapted to be worked by men of small means. Most of the leasers give one-fourth net to the owners, which as all mining men know, is a high rental.” — Los Angeles Times
January 24, 1897: “A PARTY CONSISTING OF G. W. Chrisman, Leon Cerf, James Daly, and E. E. S. Hall of Ventura, G. L. Chamberlain, Mr. Forbes and the writer (C. J. McDivitt) of Randsburg, started out southwest yesterday to see the mines. The first one visited, was the Mattie, Mr. Wilkinson the owner and three men were at work and had quite a pile of sacks on the dump. Next the Bully Boy was visited, but no one was at work, and no information could be obtained. Just over the hill the Yucca Tree was passed. Here a great deal of work has been done and much rich ore has been taken out. It is now owned by Koehn and O’Brien and has a shaft down a hundred feet. It is not now being worked on account of some legal troubles which are in process of adjustment.
A little beyond is the Winnie Mine, one of the best in the district. This mine is also owned by Koehn and O’Brien, and here we found Mr. O’Brien superintending operations. There is a shaft seventy feet deep on this mine and they are now drifting both ways. The ore at the bottom goes $70 per ton while one place higher up in the shaft four tons of ore were taken out which milled $300. Mr. O’Brien offered any of the party the privilege of going down into the mine and examining it if they wished.
Just below lies the Merced with stringer of the richest quartz running in many directions. Upon this property several leasers are at work and all doing well. At every shaft many tons of ore are sacked, waiting to be milled. This is perhaps as rich as any section around Randsburg, but the veins of ore are small and particularly adapted to being worked by men of small means. Most of the leasers give one-fourth net to the owners, which, as all mining men know is a high rental. _ _ _ “– Los Angeles Times
May 1897: “THE CALIFORNIA RAND; Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897. It was discovered May 6, 1896. Shaft was down 60 feet. Owners were listed as W. W. Green, A. M. Mugler, F. D. Stevens, and R. E. Stevens. – Overland Magazine
September 11, 1897: “THIS MINE IS ANOTHER OF THE GOOD PROPERTIES in the Stringer district. It lies a little to the east of the Magganetta, adjoins the Yucca Tree, the Santa Ana, and the Winnie, cornering on its sidelines. It is owned by J. W. Scott, C. B. Scott, and H. W. Chase of Los Angeles, who purchase the property on the first of last March. Two shafts have been sunk on it, both of which at the present time are down about one hundred feet, these shafts are separated from each other 128 feet, but are connected by a tunnel at the 50 foot level. Another tunnel to connect them is being run on the 100 foot level. No crosscutting has been done. The ore in this mine has averaged about the same all the way down, and has all been rich enough to work. It has been averaging from $30 to $40 a ton, although a sample lot of ten tons went as high as $140 to the ton. J. N. Scott, who, besides being one of the owners, is also superintendent of the mine, is working two shifts a day, employing ten men. The property is well equipped, having a hoisting whim, and all the other necessary outfit for advantageous working, The ore is sent to the Cuddebach Lake Mill and the concentrates are shipped. Up to the first of the present month the value of the gold taken from this mine was $8438” — Los Angeles Daily Times
April 15, 1898: “THE MILL(Eureka) is now running on a forty-ton lot from the Merced. This is low grade ore and is not expected to go above $40 per ton.” — Los Angeles Daily Times
April 16, 1898: THE MERCED MINE has just had a run of forty-one tons of second grade ore reduced at the Eureka mill, which cleaned up $1,250.” — Californian
March 22, 1898: “MR. SCOTT OF THE MERCED in the Stringer district is having forty-four tons worked at the Eureka mill in Randsburg. This ore will run about $70 to the ton. ” — Los Angeles Daily Times
May 27, 1898: “THE STRINGER DISTRICT is now proving the richest part of the Rand Mining District, and no portion of it has produced better that the Napoleon, owned by Pridham, Munsons & Layton. The main shaft is now down 170 feet, with richer rock at the bottom than ever. In the whole distance the shaft has paid $70 per foot. The ore is the most absolutely free milling ore in the district Times.
The Merced in the same district, and only a short distance to the southwest, has an almost equally good record, and it is again being worked. The best miners in the district give it as their opinion that somewhere in the Stringer district will yet be struck the best and richest mine yet discovered. The whole surface is seamed and crossed with small veins of rich quartz, carrying coarse gold, and there are undoubtedly offshoots from some larger vein as yet undiscovered. .” — Los Angeles Daily.
October 3, 1903: “THE MERCED MINE, near Randsburg, has been incorporated, and R. L. Owens of Saticoy, Ventura County, is president. The company will sink a shaft to open the Santa Ana Lead.” – The Mining and Scientific Press.
May 1904: LOCATED in section 2, T30, R40, near Randsburg. The mine is developed by an 80-foot vertical shaft, two inclines shafts of 180 and 185 feet, 100 feet of open cut, and 500 feet of drifts. It is owned by Merced Gold Mining Co. of Randsburg, R. W. McCloud superintendent. – Aubrey
January 2, 1904: “THE SHAFT OF THE MERCED has been sunk to a depth of 83 feet, and we are informed that Superintendent McCloud has received instructions to sink it to a depth of 150 ft.” — Randsburg Miner
March 26, 1904: “MR OWNES president of the Merced Mining Company spent several days in camp this week inspecting his company’s property. Mr. Owens is well pleased with the prospects. He returned to his home in Saticoy Thursday.” -- Randsburg Miner
April 9, 1904: “MERCED MINING COMPANY will mill next week at the Atkinson Mill. ” -- Randsburg Miner
May 14, 1904: “BARNEY OSDICK has taken a contract to sink 20 feet in the deep shaft of the Merced G. M. company’s property in the stringer district.” -- Randsburg Miner
June 25, 1904: “THE MERCED MINING CO., operating in the stringer district, has let a contract to sink an additional 80 feet in their main shaft, it at present being down 180 feet.” -- Randsburg Miner
June 27, 1907: “BARNEY OSTICK (Osdick) has just had a milling from the Merced mine of $800 worth of Tungsten.” -- Randsburg Miner
April 23, 1915: “MERCED PROPERTY -Near the Sunshine, has acres of dumps showing considerable underground workings. It has been a steady customer of the Red Dog custom mill at Johannesburg, hauling the high grade and leaving that of lesser value on the dumps. One of the mines that could contribute hundreds of thousands of tons of low grade ore for a modern custom or individual mill. ” – Randsburg Miner
PEARL WEDGE ( VICTORY WEDGE )
1962: LOCATED IN NE ¼ sec. 11, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 2 miles south of Randsburg. A small fraction between Merced and Santa Ana claims. There are three shafts to depths of 250 feet and probably a few hundred feet of drifts on several levels. The total output t of the mine was a few hundred ounces of gold in 1909-1910 and 1936-37. The amount of tungsten output is undetermined. . – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.
August 29, 1903: “THE PEARL WEDGE, owned by Balschweid & Pierce although not very large is quite rich. Ore taken from it runs $100 to the ton. There are a number of men at work on it.” The Mining and Scientific Press
September 26, 1903: “PEARL WEDGE—Ore from this mine at Randsburg has yielded returns of $91 per ton.” — Engineering and Mining Journal
January 1904: “THE PEARL WEDGE was developed by 225 foot incline shaft and 145 feet of drift. It is owned by Balsh, Weid, & Pierce of Randsburg. – Aubrey
January 16, 1904: “THE PEARL WEDGE milled 6 tons of ore at the Atkinson mill last week.” — Randsburg Miner
April 1904: “THE PEARL WEDGE is milling 26 tons this week at Snow’s Mill.’ — Randsburg Miner
May 14, 1904: “RICH ORE IN PEARL WEDGE.–Messrs. Balschweid and Pierce cleaned up $1400 from 20 tons of ore at Snow Mill this week. They are taking out good ore.” — Randsburg Miner
February 06, 1910: “AT THE PEARL WEDGE MINE a six inch seam of high grade ore has been exposed on the 100 foot level. This strike was made under peculiar circumstances. The Pearl Wedge and the Merced mines adjoin, the former being a fractional claim about 50 feet wide, and is situated between the Santa Ana, Winnie and Merced mines. In drifting toward the Pearl Wedge boundaries this remarkably rich vein was encountered by the Merced Company. The management of the latter mine immediately had a survey made of the underground workings, which disclosed the fact that this rich vein is nine feet beyond its boundaries and on the Pearl Wedge property. The value of the ore has not been determined, but the quartz is thickly mottled with coarse particles of native gold. — Randsburg Miner.” – San Francisco Call
August 21, 1910: “THE PEARL WEDGE, a fractional claim adjoining the Merced, Santa Ana and Napoleon mines, produced $3,500. Randsburg Miner.” – San Francisco Call
January 22, 1911: “PEARL WEDGE — From point of acreage this is one of the’ smallest mines in camp. As its name; indicates, the property is wedge shaped piece of ground, a fractional claim laying between the Merced ‘mine and other valuable land. The mine is owned by C. J. Illlngworth and associates. The Pearl Wedge has yielded exceedingly rich ore in the past. During 1910, $8,723 was produced. The property owners have had the mine since July 1. 1909, and have taken out; nearly $14,500. The cost of, mining this ore was $7,744, showing a net profit of $6,684. The tailings from the ore were cyanided and produced about $5 per ton, which was sufficient to defray the milling, charges on the ore. Considering the size of the property this record is remarkable. The mine has been worked out to its boundaries to a depth of 200 feet and future production will require development at a greater depth. ” – San Francisco Call
July 23, 1911: “PEARL WEDGE— hundred and forty dollars was the amount recovered from eight tons of ore recently milled from the Pearl Wedge. A drift is being driven west from the shaft to intersect the rich Merced ore shoot at a depth. Randsburg Miner.” – San Francisco Call
1914: “HE (Carlos Grant Illingworth) also owns the Pearl Wedge mine.” — Wallace
April 9, 1904: “MESSERS. SCHMIDT AND QUIGLEY who are operating on the Nine Spot mill six tons this week at the Atkinson Mill.” — Randsburg Miner
October 1904: “FOR SALE OR LEASE—Waldemar and Nine Spot quartz claims lying between the Sunshine and Stanford mining claims. Also Vienna quartz claim adjoining Black Hawk. For particulars Vald Schmidt, 321So.Spring St. Los Angeles.” – Randsburg Miner
April 12, 1906: “VAL SCHMIDT of the Nine Spot, Waldemir, and Vienna Quartz mines has returned from Los Angeles and will look after the above mines.