George Alexander Baker–
George is listed as a baker in the 1896 Great Register of Voters, in 1900 the lure of the Alaskan gold fields called him and he moved to Nome Alaska. 1
James J. Conway –
James was shown as a butcher in the 1896 and 1898 Great Register of Voters. However, in the Randsburg Miner in December of 1896 he is listed as proprietor of the Boston Bakery. 2
J. D. Fry – Fry Bros. Meat Market
The Fry Bros. started out in business in the desert at Garlock where they were engaged in the feed lot and corral business on Post office Ave. By December of 1896 they had moved to Randsburg an opened a meat market. In 1898 this market is listed in a business directory as Fry & White. It is not known whether one of the brothers dropped out of the business or not. Neither brother is listed in the 1900 census.
Fry & White –
The firm of fry & White is listed in the 1898 business directory as a meat market.
William Brosker –
Mr. Brosker is shown in the 1898 Great Register of Voters as a butcher in Randsburg.
L. S. Varney — The Bon Ton Market
L. S. Varney was running a butcher shop in Randsburg in 1898. He most likely started in business in 1897 as the earliest reference to his dates to February, 10th, 1898 which is a bill from Cudahy Packing Co. of Los Angeles sent to the Bank of Randsburg for collection. Mr. Varney was burnt out in the May 6th, 1898 fire. In 1899 he is listed as being in the freight business and in 1900 as a miner. Mr. Varney maintained his mining interest after he moved to Los Angeles and returned occasionally to check up on them. He was involved with C. G. Illingworth in supplying some of the combatants in the fights over the Searles Lake potash claims in the period between 1910 and 1920.
Wm. Wallace Clarke –Dewey Market
Mr. Clarke is said to have started in business in January of 1897. He soon established a large and well-patronized butcher shop, which was the result of his “accommodating ways and prices that were fair”. Mr. Clarke was married and his wife and him were regular entertainers and were considered to be among the more popular citizens of Randsburg at the time. The Dewey Market was still run by Mr. Clarke in 1899, however, there is no listing for him in the 1900 Census.
Rinaldi, Charles, Issac, Julian, Otto, and Robert — Rinaldi Bros. Meat Market
The Rinaldi Bros. are probably the most remembered of the old time merchants. Not only were there business interests diverse, consisting of running a meat market and general merchandise store, the brewery/bottling business previously mentioned, a stage/freight line, mining interests, and also their own ranches located in the Kelso Valley a long Kelso Creek, and to the west of Rademacher siding. In addition their last market location was a landmark of many years. It was located in the old Post office and Wells Fargo Office on the corner of Butte Ave. and Broadway (Burma). This building was finally torn down in the last few years as it was made of adobe and had
Otto Rinaldi purchased a butcher shop in Randsburg in 1902 and put his brother, while he continued to look after his business interests in the San Fernando and Newhall areas. The Rinaldi family was well known and connected in the San Fernando area where their father Charles Robert Rinaldi has been a stock raiser from the 1850’s until he sold his ranch to the city of Los Angeles for use as a reservoir for the Owens River Water Project. The Rinaldi Brothers mother was Francisca Valdez, a native of Los Angeles and a member of a prominent old Spanish family of that city. There is a Rinaldi street in the Valley to this day.
Issac and Julian (Julius) appear to have been the first to arrive as they registered to vote in 1902.
In 1903 the Rinaldi’s lost their building in a fire that destroyed most the business district of Randsburg. This did not deter them and they continued in the meat market business and in 1904 purchased the the Home Supply Co. and Lloyd & Heydlouff’s Wholesale business as distributors for the Maier Zobeling Brewery ;of Los Angeles. It was about this time in late 1903 of early 1904 that Otto disposed of his other business interests in the San Fernando area and moved to Randsburg to take charge of his business in this area. In 1908 the Board of Supervisors issued a retail liquor license to Otto Rinaldi to conduct a saloon in Randsburg. Records indicate that this business was continued in until 1916, in 1912 he is shown as the agent for Maier Brewing of Los Angeles. This business was most likely located on Staley Ave. in the old Heydlouff building which was burnt down in 1916.
Otto Rinaldi was appointed by the Governors’ Office to fill the term of County Supervisor upon the death of Wm. H. Houser in September of 1912. The Randsburg Miner reported at the time that “…it is a matter of much satisfaction that the office was given to a Randsburg man. Mr. Rinaldi is one of the well known business men of this district being interested in the stage and freighting line to Skidoo, dealer in coal, wood, lumber, distillate, meat and general supplies. He is one of the stockholders in the Amber Oil Company and has mining interests in this district.”
Charles Rinaldi was in and out of town between 1910 and 1918. In 1912 it was reported that him and Julius had sold a meat market in San Fernando. Shortly thereafter he married Rose Higuera the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Higuera of San Fernando and moved to Randsburg. In May of 1913 Rose was horribly burnt by an accident with an oil stove and died 4 days later. Her husband and a four-month-old daughter survived her.
In 1916 all the Rinaldi’s including Robert and excluding Issac were shown as being either butchers or merchants in Randsburg, by 1920 only Otto was shown as still being in town. Otto came to an unfortunate end when he tangled with the Southern Pacific Railway at the bottom of the hill.
Joseph H. Fowler –
Joseph was listed in the 1924 Great Register of Voters as a Butcher in the town of Randsburg.