J. D. FRY — FRY BROS.
While no specific mention has been found that states that the Fry Bros., were conducting a butcher business in Garlock they did have a feed yard and corral on Post Office Avenue. When they moved to Randsburg they are identified as butchers and as running a meat market.
In November of 1896 it was reported in the Bakersfield Daily Californian, From the Desert–notes of progress from the thriving town of Garlock. that Mr. J. Spencer, the towns butcher, was joined by his wife from Antelope Valley. It is possible that Mr. Spencer is the butcher who opened his shop in August of 1896 in the tent formerly occupied by the Club Saloon.
WILLIAM T. DOTY
The 1898 Great Register of Voters for Kern County shows Mr. Doty as Butcher. However it is apparent that he was residing in Garlock prior to this as the Bakersfield Daily Californian reported on 13, January of 1898 that “Our Popular townsman, Mr. Will Doty has opened a meat market on Main Street off Lilliard’s Hotel. It is a pleasure to buy tough beefsteak, when sold by a gentleman.”
Charles Yeager was engaged in the business of running a meat market in Garlock in 1897 and 1898.