Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:



1962: In 1904  J. S. WARNER  reported to be operating a mine in sec. 36, T29S, R40E, AND SEC. 1, T30S, R40E, MDM, 1 mile south of Randsburg.  No other data available. — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1


August 29, 1903: “A RICH STRINGER has been struck in the Wells Fargo, situated southeast of town.  W. Logan is working it for the owner, Mr. Warner.”  -- The Mining and Scientific Press

June 25, 1904: “THE DEVELOPMENT WORK on the Wells Fargo claim shows a one foot ledge with $10 ore.”  — Randsburg Miner

January 1904: LOCATION REPORTED as sections 36 and 1, T29 and T30, R40.  The Mine is developed by a 60 foot vertical shaft, a 20 foot incline shaft, 200 feet of open cut, 70 feet of tunnel and 30 feet of drift.  It is owned by J. S. Warner of Johannesburg.  – Aubrey

W. H. NO. 1 MINE

1962: FRANK ROYER OF RED MOUNTAIN  reported in 1957 that he was operating a mine of this name in the center of sec. 1, T30S, R40E, 1 ¼ miles southeast of Randsburg.  The shaft was at least 150 feet deep, and there were a few hundred feet of drifts.  Production of a few hundred ounces of gold from ore containing 1 oz. per to was reported to have occurred in 1938-39. -- Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1


ON APRIL 3, 1896, MR. ATKINSON CAME WITH A PARTNER and two burros to Randsburg, Kern County, with the intention of going into the mining business.  They prospered for a few months in what is now the Stringer district.  In this district they first located Poor Man’s mine, which is now operation and on June 30, 1896, located sunshine mine which they developed and which is now in a good state of production.  This mine has a stamp mill on it, and Mr. Atkinson also has a cyanide plant there.  He at present holds four claims having bought the Bully Boy and Rose mines, all now in production.”  --Wallace M. Morgan



April 9, 1904: “MESSERS. SCHMIDT AND QUIGLEY who are operating on the Nine Spot mill six tons this week at the Atkinson Mill.”  -- Randsburg Miner

October 1904: “FOR SALE OR LEASE—Waldemar and Nine Spot quartz claims lying between the Sunshine and Stanford mining claims. Also Vienna quartz claim adjoining Black Hawk. For particulars Vald Schmidt, 321So.Spring St. Los Angeles.”  – Randsburg Miner

April 12, 1906: “VAL SCHMIDT of the Nine Spot, Waldemir, and Vienna Quartz mines has returned from Los Angeles and will look after the above mines.

November 20, 1917: “MR. RADCLIFF has a ball mill and tables treating tungsten ore from his ground, and several leasers of Val Schmidt’s ground are accruing a good scheelite production.” – Bakersfield Californian



May 26, 1900: “COL. FERRIS LEFT for Los Angeles Thursday evening, to be gone a couple of weeks.  He has a force of four men working on the Jenny Lind, which he bought from Goldsmith, and he will work the Jenny Lind and the Philadelphia together.”  -- Randsburg Miner

January 1904: PATENTED MINE. Located in Section 36, T29, R40 near Randsburg, Developed by two incline shafts of 50 and 60 feet, 50 feet of tunnel and 100 feet of drifts.  It is owned by the Butte Lode Mining Co.”  – Aubrey



June 10, 1897: “QUITE A NUMBER OF MINING PROSPECTS have been changing hands recently E. N. Baker, correspondent of the Newspaper Writers Union, and C. E. Ferris, a capitalist of Los Angeles have purchased the Philadelphia, a short wedge-shaped claim adjoining the Butte mine on the east and which undoubtedly a good property.  The consideration was $2000 cash.” — Los Angeles Daily Times

December 29, 1900: “COL, FERRIS of the Philadelphia mine and others in town.  He says he is in luck.  When he came into town yesterday he applied for a room at the Wilson House and was turned away because it is full.”  – Randsburg Miner

June 12, 1897: “BAKER AND FERRIS also have men employed developing the Philadelphia, just east of the Butte, and already have a small but very rich vein or ore.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

May 26, 1900: “COL. FERRIS left for Los Angeles Thursday evening, to be gone a couple of weeks.  He has a force of four men working on the Jenny Lind, which he bought from Goldsmith, and he will work the Jenny Lind and the Philadelphia.”  — Randsburg Miner


1962: LOCATED IN NE ¼ sec. 12, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 2 miles southeast of Randsburg.  Vertical prospect shaft 200 feet deep developed in search for silver-bearing veins in early 1920’s. The amount of production is undetermined. Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1


1962: THE TOGO GROUP IS LOCATED IN THE NE ¼ sec. 12, T30S, R40E, MDM, Stringer district, 2 1/4 miles south of Randsburg.  Patented claims on west side of Vienna mine. Development consists of several shallow excavations. Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1



July 25, 1903: “G. SANDERSONG has a lease on the La Grange claim, in the Stinger District, near Randsburg.”  – The Mining and Scientific Press


March 1899: PATRICK BYRNE A SALOON OWNER in Randsburg was reported in McPherson’s history to be the owner of the Great Western and Redondo mines, which show signs of proving good property.  However, attention to business has so far given him no time to spare to do any great amount of work on them.  — McPherson


March 19, 1904: “PRICE AND NOSSER who are operating on the Stand-By milled 12 tons of ore at the Red Dog mill, Johannesburg, which went $27 to the ton.”  – Los Angeles Mining Review



June 10, 1896: “SAN BERNARDINO BREVITIES—Roscoe Willard and Edgar Harrison came in from the mines in the Rand District last night say the Times-Index.  They expect to return in about 10 days with a five stamp mill and ten horse power engine and push the work on their claims—the Rawhide and Ophir.  They have a four and half foot shaft down about 100 feet and about one hundred tons of ore on the dump, on which they will go to work as soon as the mill is in running order.  In company with Ed Dooley and Jesse Beggs, they own eight claims in the district, and all give promise of good things.  They report about one thousand people at and near Randsburg and Cow Wells, with three stages daily for Mojave, and everything pointing to a prosperous future.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

January 2, 1897: “THE RAWHIDE is about 400 yards distant (from the G. B. in the locality of the Blackhawk) and is owned by Dooly, Biggs, Harrison and Willard.  This is a low grade proposition with a heavy body of ore, easily worked, but not now available, as it only goes something like $10 per ton.  There is a shaft eighty feet in depth and several cross-cuts showing eight feet of ore.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

March 19, 1904: “MESSERS. MONTGOMERY AND McCORMICK are in about 40 feet in the tunnel they are running in the Ophir.  When the tunnel is completed they will have a depth of 250 feet.”  – Los Angeles Mining Review

CUVE (Rand United Mining Company)


Rand United Mining Company Stock Certifcate. Collection of the Rand Desert Museum

October 24, 1923: “The owners of the Cuve claim, now operating the Mizpah Montana shaft, have decided to drift to their claim from the 725 level, the latter depth having just been made, The Cuve people are prepared to thoroughly prospect, develop and advance in search of both gold and silver values.

It is strongly rumored that one of the active operators is about to close an agreement with a northern company for use of the latter’s deep shaft.  If this can be accomplished it means much for the north end of the silver belt: and companies following this procedure of prospecting.”—Bakersfield Californian

November 6, 1923: “The Mizpah Montana shaft is down 725 feet, cross cutting towards the Cuve claim for the purpose of a raise.”—Bakersfield Morning Echo

December 17, 1923: “On the 700-foot cross-cut on the Cuve claim, good, favorable formation of silver bearing rock is beginning to show, some 200 feet from the main shaft of the Mizpah Montana.”—Bakersfield Californian

December 28, 1923: “Cross-cutting to the Cuve property is still progressing through the Mizpah Montana shaft from the seventy station.”—Bakersfield Californian

January 28, 1924: “The Cuve people are still cross-cutting using the Mizpah Montana shaft at the seventh.”—Bakersfield Californian

March 1925: THE RAND UNITED MINING COMPANY is working the Cuve group through the shaft of the Mizpah Montana.  The Cuve group consists of the Cuve claim and six claims to the north with are held under option.  – Hulin


March 22, 1898: “ABOUT TWENTY TONS have recently milled at the Cuddeback Lake from the Nancy Hanks, one of the Rand Group, now being worked under a lease”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times


January 1904: “THIS CLAIM is located in section 2. R40.  It was an unpatented claim.  It was developed by a 700 foot crosscut tunnel through Rand Mountain.  It was owned by Consolidated Mines, P. H. McMahon manager.” –Aubrey


January 1904: “UNPATENTED CLAIM located in section 27, T28, R38 near Randsburg.  It was developed by two vertical shafts of 50 and 80 feet.  It was owned by W. S. Brigham of Randsburg.”  — Aubrey


January 1904: LOCATION UNKNOWN although near Randsburg. It reportedly had an 80 foot vertical shaft.  Owners were Wilson and Nixon.  – Aubrey



January 1904: LOCATED in section 2, T30, R40 near Randsburg. Developed by 65 foot vertical shaft, a 40 and 55 foot incline shafts, 100 ft. cut and 150 foot of drifts.  Reportedly had a three stamp mill but as this was owned by the Atkinson Brothers it is assumed that this mill and the one reported and the Sunshine mine are the same.  – Aubrey

June 18, 1904: NOTICE OF NON RESPONSIBILITY filed by T. W. Atkinson as owner for Bully Boy, Hatchet, and Sunshine…  – Randsburg Miner


January 1904: PATENTED MINE located in section 33, T29, R40,  Developed by an 80 foot vertical shaft, 150 cut, and 100 foot of drift.  The owner was C. A. Burcham.  — Aubrey


January 1904: LOCATION other than near Johannesburg not reported.  It is supposedly developed by two 40 foot incline shafts and 80 foot of drifts.  Owner was Griffith Barris of Randsburg.  — Aubrey


January 1904:  LOCATED in section 13, T30, R40 near Randsburg. Developed by two incline shafts of 65 feet each, 20 foot of open cut and 150 foot of drift.  Owned by Larrick & Rankin.  — Aubrey


January 1904: LOCATED in section 33, T29, R40, near Randsburg.  It was developed by a 50 foot vertical shaft, a 40 foot incline shaft and 175 feet of open cut.  It was owned by Wm. Brouchard and Thomson of Randsburg.  – Aubrey


January 1904: LOCATED in section 20, T27, R33 near Randsburg, Developed by a 100 foot vertical shaft, 50 feet of open cut, and 175 feet of tunnel.  Owned by D. S. Shaw & Co. Long Beach, Cal.  –Aubrey


January 15, 1920: “A SMALL TEST MILLING is being made at Phoenix mill, of ore from the Mapes lease, to determine the value of the gold content of the ore, which pan tests indicate to be of shipping grade.”  – Barstow Printer


October 21, 1922: “RANDSBURG- It is reported that the Keystone Divide Mining Co.  and other Tonopah companies have acquired holdings in the Randsburg District.”  -- Engineering and Mining Journal Press


August 2, 1913: “NOTICE OF NON-RESPONSIBILITY—To Whom it May Concern—I will not be responsible for labor or material used in or on the Mars quartz mine, situated in Rand Mining District, Kern County, Cal.—Val Schmidt.”  -- Randsburg Miner


December 6, 1896: “CLASSIFED ADVERTISEMENT SECTION –The Rand Exploration and Mining Company is the latest.  The object is to prospect, locate, develop, and deal in Randsburg gold mines in Kern county and vicinity.  The company is managed by thoroughly competent men, superintended by a practical mining geologist, with a party of experienced prospectors and miners. The enterprise is to be conducted in a scientific manner with the view of making big money for the shareholders.  There are only 50 shares of $100 each; 20 shares are already subscribed for.  Business men of Los Angeles this is to your interest, and we trust to hear of you.  Particulars cheerfully given.  Consult of address MINING ENGINEER, room 48, Natick House, city.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times



February 11, 1896: “MESSRS. KELLY AND DONOV are sinking a six-foot ledge which is close to the side line of the Trilby, and is a fine milling proposition clear across with a stratum on the hanging wall showing $2,250”  — The Californian

February 18, 1896: “MR. CHARLES KOEHN has purchased an interest in the Kelley and Donovan property at Randsburg.”  – The Californian



February 9, 1897: “THE SHAMROCK IS NOW ATTRACTING CONSIDERABLE ATTENTION.  It lies just south of Butte Avenue on the first mound and runs nearly north and south.  It was discovered early in December last by Al Lester and located by him, Nicholson and Lawer, all hard working, young prospectors.  The ledge is a blind one on the surface, there being no outcropping to indicate where it was.  One day Lester was passing over this high point on his way to the post office before it was moved down to its present location, and discovered some small pieces of float.  He then went back and looked for the ledge.  The only indication of its whereabouts was a streak of highly-colored ground.  In digging into this he soon discovered the vein of quartz.  A little of it was rich but for the most part it showed but few traces of gold.  He and his partners sunk a hole as deep as they could throw out by shovel and left it for a month or so after having it recorded.  It showed a well-defined vein or ore at both ends of the shaft, of a foot or more in width.  Sometime later they put a windlass on it and began sinking; the quartz getting richer as they went down.  They now have a shaft some twenty-five feet in depth with a ten-inch vein of very rich ore, and it bids fair to be one of the richest mines in the camp.  The boys were offered $4000 for it a few days ago and refused this.  They sent their first load of ore to the mill this morning.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

March 6, 1897: “SUIT HAS BEEN BROUGHT in the Superior Court of Kern County against A. Lester, G. Tower, and J. J. Nicholson, owners of the Shamrock, situated south of Butte Avenue, by J. L. King and E. Berman.  The plaintiffs claim the property is theirs under the name of the Galveston, and also pray for $1000 damages.  Deputy Constable Voges served notice on the defendants.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

March 12, 1897: “LESTER, TOWN AND NICHOLSON are still at work on the Shamrock, and are down forty feet, with a two-foot vein of good ore at the bottom.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

June 6, 1897: “THE DISPUTE OVER THE OWNERSHIP of the Shamrock, claimed by Al Lester and others, has been settled.  Lester and his partners giving up all claims to the property, upon the payment of a sum of money, the other side withdrawing the suit for damages now pending.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

June 10, 1897: “E. BERMAN, one of the owners of the old Galveston-Shamrock mine, left for his home in Los Angeles yesterday evening.  The dispute over the mine has been entirely settled, and Mr. Berman and J. C. King of the Santa Fe have full possession and will at once go to work developing their property.  There is a shaft forty-five feet in depth.  This will be sunk deeper, and drifts run on each side as soon as they reach the fifty foot level.  Some splendid specimens of ore have been taken from this mine, showing conclusively the presence of the precious metal in paying quantities.  Mr. King is a practical miner, and will be here a portion of his time.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times


February 24, 1897: “DR. SEIBERT AND G.L. CHAMBERLAIN have bought a half interest in the Mary Garrett, a mine lying northwest of here, about two and a half miles.  This mine was discovered by an old sailor and named after the ship he used to sail on.  The ledge is of good width.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times



March 2, 1897: “THE REEDLY MINE, northwest of Randsburg, about two miles, is producing ore worth $40 to $80 per ton.  This mine was bought recently by T. W. Jenkins and has a shaft some fifteen feet or more with a twelve-inch vein or ore.  The owner proposes to sink 200 feet on it if the ledge holds out.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

April 1, 1897: “IN THE REEDLY MINE, Jenkins, owner, some very rich ore has been found, some that will go several thousand dollars per ton.  This mine lies northwest about a mile from town toward the valley.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

October 7, 1899: “FORTY TONS FROM THE REEDLY—The Red Dog mill has just completed a run of forty tons from the Reedly mine which went about $15.00 per ton.  At that rate the Reedly is a good property as the mine is large and it is easily mined.” –Randsburg Miner



GEORGE V. DAVIDSON sold a one-third interest in the Marguerite claim, out in the Stringer district a day of two ago for $1200 cash to D. K. Hudson of Portland.  Davidson retains a third interest and George Kline is the owner of the other third.  Mr. Davidson then bought of Frank Ranzolf a half interest in the Dead Shot mine, lying just north of the Marguerite for $400 cash.  These mines both lie a little south of the Winnie mine, recently purchased with the Yucca Tree by Savage of San Jose.

March 21, 1897: “For Sale –$500—The Dead Shot Quartz mining claim, Randsburg; 20 acres. T. WIESENDANGER, 227 W. Second St.” – The Herald


April 12, 1897: “THE WEATHER is now delightfully warm and pleasant.  Many dry washers are starting. Although the ground is scarcely dry enough yet for good work.  Soon the big dry washers of the Stine Mining and Milling Company at St. Elmo will start, and then the question will be settled as to whether it will be a success or not.” – Los Angeles Daily Times



June 10, 1897: “BAKER AND FERRIS have just completed the purchase of the Whippoorwill claim lying in the edge of town on Rand street, a little way above the post office.  The purchase was made from Mr. McCormack (McCormick) they are on the lookout for other investments as Mr. Baker’s acquaintances with capitalists make it easy for him to induce capital to come here, if the properties make the proper showing.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

Mineral Survey No. 4234, Independence Land District, claim located December 20, 1895, surveyed, January 1904, known as Whip-oor-will, owned by I. N. Inskeep, improvements consisting of 1. Discovery Shatt $50, 2 Shaft $330, 3. Shaft $150, 4. Tunnel $200, located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, of sec. 35.



July 11, 1897: “ABOUT TWO MILES SOUTH of this place lies the famous Stringer district, so called because the ore veins run at right angle to the formations, whereas the rule is that they run with the formation.  It is a peculiar problem, the more so that these stringer veins have showed up remarkably rich.  The district is on the north side of the desert, separated from this place by a range of hills, from the top of which can be seen the famous Fremont Peak, named after Gen. Fremont and beyond which is the old Mormon Road from Death Valley.

The Magganetta (pronounced Madge-Anneta) is located in the heart of the stringer district with its gold bearing veins running in all directions any paying mines on all sides of it.  It was originally located by Cook and Hammond of this place, who, after a time leased it to other parties.  It was during the period of that lease that W. A. Perry of Los Angeles made a trip through the stringer district, and was so impressed with the location of the Magganetta that he decided then and there to acquire it if it was to be had at any reasonable figure.  He induced some parties here and others at Los Angeles to join him in the purchase of it, found out what it could be bought for, and bought it.  The property was incorporated under the name Magganetta Gold Mining Company, and capitalized at $500,000, divided into 500,000 shares of a par value of $1 each.  Mr. Perry being elected Secretary of the company and manager of the mine. There has been a good deal of prospect work done on the claim, and the yield from the ore which has been taken out is considered very satisfactory.  One thing noticeable in this mine is that the walls are more distinct than in many other mines, and that the talc between the walls is of the best in the whole district.  These walls, and especially the large quantity of talc, would indicate a strong ledge running to a great depth.  About a month ago work on the mine was stopped, but only for a short time and under new management work is being pushed energetically.  As I have stated above, these stringer veins present a peculiar problem to the miner not familiar with them, the generally accepted theory being that they are feeders to the main ore chambers below.  One thing is certain; it is that the ore from this section has made a fine showing, a run of twenty tons having yielded over $3800, being nearly $200 a ton.  With perhaps the exception  of the Wedge and Kinyon mines, the seven claims immediately surrounding the Magganetta have averaged the richest ore from the Rand District, the seven being the Bully Boy, Yucca Tree, Winnie, Napoleon, Santa Ana, Merced and Marvel.  Here are some figures of returns from some of these mines which I have obtained:  Eight tons of ore from the Marvel gave $764.20 of free milling; seven tons from the Bully Boy gave $1150 and forty-one tons from the Merced milled $5348.  These results are sufficient to justify the belief that this extraordinary district will produce some wonderful surprises.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

August 18, 1897: “A Fine Assay W. A. Perry, secretary of the Magganetta Gold Mining Company, on his return to Los Angeles from Randsburg a few days, ago, brought with him a lot of ore taken from the face of a drift being run on the Magganetta mine. This ore, 30 pounds, he had sampled and assayed yesterday and the returns were far greater than expected, the assay showing the ore to run $1439.25 to the top. The property is showing up nicely as the work proceeds, and promises to be one of the best mines in the Stringer district.” –The Herald

September 11, 1897: “THIS MINE LIES in the Stringer district about two miles south of Randsburg.  The property is incorporated under the name of the Magganetta Gold Mining Co., with a capital of $500,000 divided into 500,000 shares of the par value of $1 each. At the time of the formation of the company 125,000 shares were placed in the treasury. To be sold in lots from time to time, to provide the necessary means for opening up and developing the property.  Some of these shares have been sold and with the proceeds work at the mine is vigoursely being pushed forward.  The main shaft, or shaft No. 1 as they call it, is now down 148 feet.  Shaft No. 2 is down thirty feet.  From this shaft a 90 foot drift has been run in an easterly direction, from which some small quantities of rich ore have been taken out.  The ledge has been traced by trenches two hundred and fifty feet to the east, and shows rich ore nearly the entire length.  The work done so far has not been with the object to take ore out, but to establish the ledge and the ore chutes.  The company is now sinking a third shaft on the top of the hill, and from what they already know they are satisfied that they are going to get good results, there being every indication of there being a large body of ore in the hill where this third shaft is now being put down.  One thing noticeable in the property is the well-defined character of the wall, and the talc that lies between them is of very high quality.  These conditions indicate a strong ledge, running to a great depth.  It was one of the first claims located in the Stringer district and is now surrounded on all side by others which, where worked to any extent, have all shown themselves to be fine properties.  Among these latter nearest to the Magganetta are the Merced, Santa Ana, Yucca Tree, Napoleon, Winnie, Bullyboy and Marvel.  All of these mines are taking out pay ore and in several of them the ore is very rich.

The head offices of the company are in Los Angeles:  the directors are;  W. F. Pardee, president; E. A. Beardslee, vice-president; E. W. McGee; H. R. French; Thomas F. Barnes, Frank A. Ball; W. A. Perry, secretary and manager; The Farmer and Merchants’ Bank of Los Angeles is treasurer.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

November 08, 1897: “The market on the exchange the past week has been quite active. Pacific Consolidated, with heavy sales, has held its own remarkably well. An advance in this stock is looked for within the next few days, the reports coming in from the mine being excellent. Wedge closed strong last week at 3 cents bid. This stock is selling at less than its value. It is confidently expected that the stock will sell for 5 cents within the next two weeks. Magganetta continues to hold strong at about 3 cents.” –The Herald

January 09, 1898: “MINING NOTES – Work on the Magganetta mine is steadily going on. From last reports the new shaft is down 90 feet, and the superintendent writes that he will strike the pay chute within a few feet.—Mining News.” — The Herald

March 22, 1898: “THE MAGGANETTA has had a small run at the Randsburg mill which went $130 to the ton.  Other ore equally rich is being taken out.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

April 9, 1898: “Two lots of ore from leases on the Maganctta mine were run this week. A two-ton lot clean- up about $200, a four ton lot: $450.” – The Herald

October 27, 1898: “IN THE MAGGANETTA work has been resumed in the east drift of shaft No. 2, at a depth of eighty feet.  They have about seven inches of good ore.  Connection has been made between shafts Nos. 2 and 3, by which through ventilation has been secured.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

October 29, 1898:  “REPORTS FROM RANDSBURG are that work in the Stringer district is again assuming its old-time active look.  During the late hot period work in many of the mines was shut down, but the late cool weather has brought the miners back to camp, and work is starting up again.  In the Magganetta work has been resumed in the east drift of shaft No. 2, at a depth of eighty feet.  They have about seven inches of good ore.  Connection has been made between shafts Nos. 2 and 3, by which through ventilation has been secured.” –Corona Courier



July 11, 1897: “TO THE EAST OF THE BIG RAND MOUNTAIN, which lies to the south of this town, are the five mines belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company.  They are the Twin Brothers, Lillian V., Bald Eagle, Coloratha No. 1, and Coloratha No. 2.  The five cover an area of about 60 acres.  The properties are incorporated and capitalized at $1,000,000 in one million shares, of which 200,000 have been placed in the treasury of the company for sale, the proceeds to be applied exclusively to development work.  The management of the group is under J. W. Rogers of the Wedge mine.  Work has begun on the Twin Brothers a few days ago, and the indications are reported as being of the best.  Work is also being done of Coloratha No. 1, or Coloratha Wedge, as it is sometimes called. They began sinking on this mine about three week ago, and are now down over forty feet.  The location of the Rand Mountain claims is considered one of the best in the camp, as they lie contiguous to the Big Rand, which many miners assert will prove when they get through litigating over it and get to work on it, the richest piece of ground in all of the district.  Certain it is that these five claims belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company are in strong hands, and work on them will be energetically pushed ahead.”   — Los Angeles Daily Times

September 11, 1897:  “THIS PROPERTY COMPRISES five claims belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company of Los Angeles.  They are the Coloratha Wedge No. 1, Coloratha Wedge No. 2, the Twin Brothers, Lillian B. and the Bald Eagle.  They lie in a bunch to the east of the Big Rand Mountain, and a short distance south of Randsburg.  The five claims cover an area of about sixty acres, and their location is conceded to be one of the best in this camp.  The company is incorporated with a capital of $1,500,000 divided into 1,000,000 shares of which 200,000 were at the time of the formation of the company placed in the treasury, to be sold in lots from time to time, as the directors might determine, the proceeds from such sales as they are made being applied to the development of the properties.  The directors and officers are Dr. C. T. Pepper, president; F. A. Salisbury, vice-president; S. H. Ellis, secretary; E. L. Allen, and Edwin T. Earl.

The Rand Mountain Mining Company acquired their claims by purchase, and have absolute deeds for the same.  It is organized under the laws of Arizona.  There is not therefore, any individual liability, nor is the stock assessable.

Work was begun on these mines about the first of last July, and at the present time they have a shaft down in the Coloratha Wedge No. 1, 165 feet, and are deepening at the rate of from three to four feet a day.  They intend to keep on sinking down to a depth of at least 250 feet.  The quartz they are now working in horns a little, but they are not devoting any attention to it, now will they until they reach the depth they are now going for.  During last month some prospecting underground was done; a crosscut about thirty feet being run and a drift made of about twenty feet.  The work in this mine is being done in a thoroughly systematic manner, in a way that large mining propositions are usually worked, and as there is a good surplus in the treasury to continue development work, they are confident of reaching before long the ore body they are now sinking for.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times



July 25, 1897: “THE SKOOKUM MINE adjoining the Hard Cash, west of town some five miles is taking out some very rich ore now and has a very heavy ledge.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

September 11, 1897: “THIS GROUP OF MINES, consisting of the Yorkshire Lass, Skookum, Superior, and Spokane, belong to Harry F. Parker and W. B. McConnell of Randsburg.  The Yorkshire Lass adjoins the Hard Cash mine to the west of town.  The ledge in this mine is fully thirty feet wide, the ore from which averages $10 per ton, and is free milling.  A double compartment shaft is being put down on the ledge.  A double compartment shaft is also being put down in the Skookum, and is already down fifty feet on a ledge of ore from seven to nine feet wide.  At the bottom of this shaft they have run a drift into the hill about sixty feet, and are now working in ten-foot ore, taking out enough of it to keep two ten-stamp mills at Garlock supplied.  The ore is hoisted in a car to the bin, from which it is run down a chute to the wagons.  The owners of these mines have purchased the McKinnon Mill at Garlock, which has a capacity of twenty-five tons a day, and are keeping it continuously running on their own ore.  At the present time they are employing twenty-five men at the mine and mill.

They expect to soon begin sinking another shaft, in which they will go down 100 feet.  The prospects for a great mine on this property could not be better, for when it is considered that ore enough to keep two ten-stamp mill working is being taken out in ordinary development work, there are the best of reasons, combined with all the indications for believing this property will, when fully developed, yield very large returns, and prove a veritable bonanza to its owners.  The ore is low grade, milling from $7 to $10 per ton and about the same value in the tailings, which can be reclaimed by the cyanide process, which the owners intend to do.

These mine are located about three and a half miles west of Randsburg, and sic and a half miles southeast of Garlock, and lie between the Minnehaha and the Petaluma mines, and are in the same mineral zone as that in which the Big Rand is situated.”  -- Los Angeles Daily times

October 04, 1897: “Articles of incorporation under the laws of Arizona were filed at Phoenix last week by McCornell, Parker, Harper and others on the Yorkshire Lass.” –The Herald

October 11, 1897: “A 25-HORSE POWER GASOLINE ENGINE is soon to be put in on the hoist at the Little Butte, and it is said that one of equal size will go in at the Skookum. LOS ANGELES DAILY TIMES, October 11, 1897.

January 30, 1900: “C. A. Small has deeded to William Bouchard of Randsburg a one-sixth interest in the Skookum and Yorkshire Lass mines, in the Rand district, for $500.” -- Los Angeles Herald


January 1904: LOCATED in section 33, T29, R40. Near Randsburg.  Developed by 110 feet of incline shaft, 50 feet of open cut, and 80 feet of tunnel and 150 feet of drift.  Owner was Wm. Bouchard & Hansen.  — Aubrey



July 11, 1897: “W. CONWAY, formerly of Louisville, Kentucky, owns three claims in the Stringer district.  They are the Lucky Star, Pyramid, and the March.  They are situated just north of the Magganetta and west of the Winnie.  Some ore from the Lucky Star is reported to have milled as high as $130 to the ton.  Mr. Conway intends pushing development work on his properties as, from the mill tests made, he is satisfied that they will yield him good returns.”  – Los Angeles Daily News

September 11, 1897: “ABOUT TWO AND ONE-HALF MILES SOUTH of Randsburg, in what is locally known as the “Stringer District”, is the group of claims belonging to the Lucky Star Mining Company.  They are the Lucky Star, Pyramid Wedge and March Wedge.  Adjoining them on the east side are such well known mines the Winnie, Yucca Tree, Napoleon, the output of gold from which during the first year of their development exceeded $50,000.  These Lucky Star claims were acquired by purchase last month.  On the Lucky Star there is a shaft down fifteen feet at the initial monument, another at east center end line about eighteen feet deep, from which two tons of ore were taken which, when milled, averaged $125 to the ton, also a shaft 20 feet from the east line, twenty-eight feet deep, with a forty foot tunnel out from it.  No work has been done on either of the other claims beyond some trenching.

The company was organized under the laws of Arizona, with a capital stock of $1,000,000 divided into a like number of shares at a par value of $1 each, and fully paid up and non-assessable.  They have placed 350,000 of the shares in the treasury of the company, to be sold in such quantities and at such times as the board of directors may determine the proceeds of the sales to be exclusively devoted to the development of the properties.  The directors are C. W. Conway, president; E. A. Forrester, vice-president; W. E. Howard, secretary; E. A. Miller and J. J. King, The First National Bank of Los Angeles is treasurer.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times



August 23, 1897: “MR. R. HUNTER of Los Angeles has been here since last Sunday, looking after his mining interests.  Hunter and A. L. Stewart, a capitalist, of Los Angeles, own the Grey Eagle group of mines on the edge of Randsburg.  Hunter and Prof. Inskeet of the Los Angeles Business College own the west extension of the Hard Cash mine, which prospects some.  When the weather becomes a little cooler they propose to get some men to work developing this mine.  Mr. Stewart has recently bonded the Bully Boy mine out in the Stringer district and is sinking a fifty-foot shaft.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

September 26. 1898: “PRESIDENT A. T. STEWART of the Hard Cash Company, accompanied by J. T. Hampton, was here today to make arrangements for the erecting of a dry concentrating plant on that property.  The Hard Cash has a heavy vein of ore, and under proper management should be a paying proposition.  They left tonight for Los Angeles, and Mr. Stewart will return next week, when work on the new plant will begin.  The conflicting interests between the Hard Cash and the Skookum have been settled by agreement, the Hard Cash having bought out the overlapping portion of the Skookum.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

May 4, 1901: “THE YELLOW POPPY AND GREY EAGLE have two shafts down 106 and 160 feet.  The vein is 12 feet wide and said to average $4 a ton.”  – Mining and Scientific Press



September 11, 1897: “THIS PROPERTY is two and one-half miles southwest of Randsburg, on the far side of the Big Rand Mountain, and in a district from which big things are expected.  It was located about one year ago by Ed Hammond, and is now owned by him, Claude Bohannon and Max Skinner.  A shaft has been put down, and a tunnel run from which they are now taking out ore.  They have 200 sacks ready for the mill, and 200 more on the dump, with about 200 tons in sight.  The vein runs from five feet to seven feet in width, and the ore averages from $15 to $25 per ton.  A mill run of 100 sacks taken from the top of the ground yielded $9 to the ton.

It is the intention of the owners to increase their force of men at work on the mine, as they are confident when they have passed through the development stage they will encounter a large body of very rich ore, and that it will pay them to go to additional expense now that they may reach it the quicker.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

December 18, 1897: “A RICH STRIKE has been made in the Tip Top mine, about three and a half miles west of town, owned by Ed Hammond, Skinner, and Claude Bohannon.  This mine is in the same neighborhood and adjoins the Skookum, Banner, Hard Cash, and others.  The shaft is down sixty feet and for nearly that entire distance it prospected a little, with a strong vein of ore, but within a day or two some very rich quartz, about two feet in thickness, has been encountered.  It horns big, and shows about $75 per ton.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

December 19, 1897:  “A new lead was found In the Tip Top mine this week—a large body of ore and a 2-foot vein, showing ore running ? per ton. Two men took out twelve stacks of ore the first day.” –The Herald

April 28, 1900: “FORFITURE NOTICE FILED by S. P. Creasinger and John Langley against Max M. Skinner, Frank Bohannon and brother on 27February, 1900. “  – Randsburg Miner

January 23, 1904: “MESSERS. PRICE AND NOSSER who are developing the old Tip Top claim have struck a 3-ft vein of rich ore.  The property lies 2 ½ miles west of town, beyond the Teresa Gold Mining Company’s property.”  -- Randsburg Miner


April 9, 1897: “ON APRIL 2 MESSERS. BOGART AND MORTON found a ledge four feet in diameter within six miles of Randsburg, which assays $178 per ton.  It is free milling and is easily traceable on the surface.  Probably the reason it was not discovered long ago is that it is a little beyond the average day’s walk out and back from Randsburg.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times



April 9, 1897: “ON APRIL 2 MESSERS. BOGART AND MORTON found a ledge four feet in diameter within six miles of Randsburg, which assays $178 per ton.  It is free milling and is easily traceable on the surface.  Probably the reason it was not discovered long ago is that it is a little beyond the average day’s walk out and back from Randsburg.  Not far from this ledge H. D. Morton and Dr. Brown of Los Angeles have a group of four mines, the Noonday, Comstock, Midnight and Mayflower.  These are all large veins and assay well.  The Noonday is as much as twenty feet across.  A shaft twenty feet deep has been sunk, ore from the bottom of which assays $47 per ton. These mines have all been located since March 1.  Mr. Morton located them and gave Dr. Brown a half-interest to help develop them.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

September 26, 1898: “THE MAYFLOWER, a mine just in the west edge of town, has struck a very rich vein of gold ore at fifty-five feet, the rock being literally plastered with gold. This property was discovered and located by Burke and McLaughlin, but is now owned by W. H. Brown and Delemeter.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times


April 9, 1897: “THE PETALUMA MINE, although scarcely heard of yet, will, from present indications make its way into the gossip of the camp before much more work is done on it.  Having heard of it in a quiet way the discoverers having endeavored up to the present time to keep it dark, and not desiring to write about it without more definite information, a visit was made to it by your correspondent today.  The mine is situated about six miles west of Randsburg on the north slope of the hill facing Garlock, and is far up on the mountain side.  It is a vein of very soft quartz, requiring no blasting up to the present depth, twenty feet, and is seven feet in width.  The richest part of the vein of ore is on the hanging wall, and is a brown color.  In almost any piece picked up gold is visible.  Pieces broken off by hand today showed gold on every side.  That brown portion of the ledge, running from six to twelve inches, the proprietors are carefully sacking, intending to send it to the Selby Smelting Works at San Francisco.  The balance of the ledge is very different in color and more compact, or harder.  In color it is a bluish, slaty looking stuff, but carries gold clear across the entire width.  An assay from some of the poorest rock, in which no gold was visible, showed $24 while some of the brown rock will run up into the thousands.  The formation is very loose.  Work has been temporarily suspended after sacking a number of tons or rich ore, and the proprietors have spent the last week building a road up to the mine.  The hill is very steep and the road has cost thus far several hundred dollars.  This was necessary in order to get up timbers to use in the mine, as considerable risk has already been run in working under the loose overhanging head wall.  From present indication the vein pitches into the wall at an angel of 75 deg.  The mine is owned by J. W. Doss, A. B. Doss, his nephew and E. F. King all of Petaluma.  J. W. Doss is an old miner.  He discovered the Petaluma mine February 1.  He and the others had been in Randsburg some time, and had been tramping back and forth without finding anything.  One day Doss Sr. was out with a man named Davis.  Davis did not seem to want him to go with him so Doss struck off alone and accidentally run onto this ledge, showing a little above the surface.  He struck off a piece about three pounds in weight, and there was gold visible all over it.  He did not stand on his head or do any other very foolish thing, but he does admit having talked to himself a bit, congratulating on his luck, etc.  He covered it over carefully, took his bearings and struck out for Randsburg, as it was late in the evening.  Next morning bright and early he and the two others were on their way to the spot.  They dug a little and erected their monuments, then made the location of the Petaluma No. 2; the Two Rock on the south, the Jersey on the west, the Golden Eagle on the east and the King Sales north of the Petaluma.  All these have been prospected a little, and all show traces of gold.  The piece of rock broken off first Mr. Doss has preserved very carefully, and it is a fine specimen.  He says he will have it put in a glass case and preserved.  These men have been offered $10,000 for their group of mines, but at present time they are not for sale, now will they bond or lease.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times


December 20, 1896: “M. R. CRAIG AND G. L. CHAMBERLAIN both of Los Angeles, are here, and will open a miners’ and brokers’ office as soon as they can secure a building.  Mr. Chamberlain was all through the Cripple Creek boom, and has had years of experience.  He has only been here a few days, but is favorably impressed with the camp, and expressed the opinion that it has a great future.  He is accompanied by his wife.” -- Los Angeles Daily Times


March 14, 1897: “THERE HAS BEEN A GOOD DEAL OF EXCITEMENT over to the southwest, about eight miles from here, and many locations have been made.  One assay from the Santa Barbara mine, in the new camp, ran as high as $100 per ton, and this of course starts many to prospecting.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times


Mineral Survey No. 5347, Independence Land District, claim located June 19, 20, 1917, known as Alphonse and Aksarben, owned by James Montgomery, improvements consist of 6 shafts, 3 incline shafts, 4 drifts,1 cross cut, 2 slopes and 1 open cut, valued at $8095. Located S. W. ¼ sec. 30, T29S, R41 E, M.D.M.


Mineral Survey No. 3474, Independence Land District, claim located May 12th, 1897, known as New York Quartz Mine, owned by S. J. Montgomery, improvements consist of two shafts and two open cuts. Locate at T.29 S-R.40E. MDM section 35


Mineral Survey No. 6192, Independence Land District, claim surveyed August 30, 1936, known as Pandora, White Cloud, and White Cloud Fraction Lodes, owned by Willard W. Krom, improvements consisting of 5 shafts and l tunnel, valued at $6,640, located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, southeast ¼ of sec. 26.


Mineral Survey No. 5097, Independence Land District, Claim Amended June 24, 1897, known as Shingle Lode, owned by Elizabeth N. Pepper, Sarah Pepper Hurtt and Elizabeth Duress, improvements, consisting of 5 shafts, and 1cut, valued at $3520, Located T 29 S., R. 40 E., MDM


Mineral Survey No. 4313, Independence Land District, claim located January 1, 1900 surveyed, July 1904, known as 1900 Quartz Mine, owned by A. J. Graham, improvements consisting of 1. Discovery Pit $200, 2. Open Cut $75, 3. Shaft $30, 4. Shaft $60, 5. Shaft $60, 6. Shaft $75, 7. Shaft $50, 8. Open Cut $40, 9. Shaft $40, 10. Open Cut $30, 11. Open Cut $75, 12. Shaft $75, 13. Side Hill Cut $45. located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, of sec. 36.


August 4, 1900: “J. R. PARKER has purchased from J. C. Cornelius  a one-third interest in the Double-Ought and Violet Fraction mines, located about a mile east of the Gold Coin, in the Stringer district.  The properties were formerly known as the Pine Wedge, and Republican.”  -- Randsburg Miner


January 8, 1898: “SAN BERNARDINO Jan 4 (Regular Correspondent) Articles of Incorporation of the Lone Star Mining Company were filed.  The purposes named are to acquire by purchase and operate the Lone Star and Yankee Doodle Mines in the Rand District.  Ontario is names as the principle place of business.  The capital stock is $1,000,000, consisting of 1,000,000, $1 shares all of which have been subscribed.”  – The Saturday Times and Weekly Mirror


April 28, 1900: “Notice of Forfeiture filed by J. W. Kelly against E. T. Garlock and Jas. Willhouse stating “You are hereby notified that I have expended during the 1899, one hundred dollars in labor and improvements on the Little Lilly Quartz Mine, located in the Rand Mining district, County of Kern, State of California, which location certificate is found of record in the Kern County Records at Bakersfield, in volume 11, page 396,.  The Little Lilly was located January 3, 1898, and filed for record March 2nd, 1896, in order to hold such claim under the provisions of section 2324 of the revised statues of the United States and the amendments thereto approved Jan. 22, 1880, concerning the annual labor upon mining claims, being the amount required to hold said lode for the period ending December 31, 1889.  And if within ninety (90) days form the personal service of this notice, or within ninety days after the publication thereof you fail or refuse to contribute your portion of such expenditure as co-0wner your interest in the said claim will become the property of the subscriber, your co0owner, who has acquired the same by purchase and deed, and who has made the required expenditure by the terms of sail section.   Dated this 7th day of April, 1900.”  — Randsburg Miner


October 15, 1904: “A MINERAL LOCATION has been filed in the recorders’ office by Chas. Lindeman Jr. and J. C Robb for the Big Daisy Mine, Rand District.”  — Randsburg Miner



February 6, 1904: “THE RED DOG MILL began milling ore this week from the Josephine. Howe, Gunderson, and Porter are working the property.”  – Randsburg Miner

March 5, 1924: “Bob Gunderson, owner of the Minnesota group of claims, and Emil and Fred T. Culbert, owners of the Josephine group, have agreed to work together and bring in a good gold producing property.  They have a gas hoist in, plenty of steel, and powder, besides the grub and everything that a bunch of hard rocks require to go ahead.

Gunderson, in prospecting this particular part of the Minnesota holdings, one of the oldest in the “stringer” portion of the Rand gold zone, put down the prospect shafts within a distance of 100 feet, all showing the vein two feet in place.  In doing this work he milled $2800.

The Culbert brothers have a well proved property.  One of their developments shows a wall that cannot be equaled in the entire district with ore that would pay if a mill was on the ground.  They believe it will improve with development.

There are many shallow shafts and adits on both the groups, that have made handsome returns, but like the early-day mining, when they hit the sulphides or breaks they tried another promising site.

Without any question, a geologist that is interested in his calling would find this particular part of the gold fields a study for many days.  Adits, generally called, and known as tunnels on a hillside, have produced many thousands of dollars.  When the pickings quit, it was decided to run a long tunnel.  Under the best pay a 300-foot tunnel brought no results.  A 150-run-in as a crosscut, found ore but not in place.  Float can be found on any part of the hill.

Hundreds of claims in the “stringer” show shallow workings that have paid and paid good but no developing followed after the ore ceased.  It is hoped that in the joining of interests and hitting the drills will bring the results of the trio’s good judgment.”—Bakersfield Californian


THIS GROUP OF CLAIM lies near White Camp and has been located by Thos. McCarthy and Chas. Taylor. Work is now being done on the claims.


January 6, 1904: “C.K. SMITH has taken a lease on the Phantom.”  – Randsburg Miner


January 9, 1904:  “MR. A. T. STEWART of the War Eagle reports that he is sinking a 100-ft. shaft on the Little Emma in hopes of catching the continuation of the Butte Lode ledge.”  -- Randsburg Miner


January 2, 1904: “IT WAS ANNOUNCED that active development work on the Teresa would start in the near future.”  – Randsburg Miner


June 9, 1900: “AL LESTER HAS COMPLETED the job of sinking the shaft on the Irene mine 50 feet deeper, and he and Louie Woodward will on Monday begin work on the Belle, near the Pinmore, and will take out 50 tons and mill it at the Kinyon Mill.”  -- Randsburg Miner


June 16, 1898: “RANDSBURG, JUNE 14—(Regular Correspondence)  Augustus Warfield, the old gentleman who was blown up here last week and died after his removal to Bakersfield, was the victim of the first serious accident in this camp.  He was working out west of town in the Stratton mine, near the Hard Cash, and Skookum claims, and he suffered terribly before death came to his relief.  Both hands and one eye were blown off, besides one lake being broken, and other injuries.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times


June 13, 1911: “THE GOLD DOLLAR MINE is being worked by C. Osdick and E. T. Oakley.  They are sinking now and have gone down about 60 feet.  They are milling ten tons of ore this week at the Tip Top Mill.”—Bakersfield Morning Echo


June 13, 1911: “THE PLACER MINES, owned by the Stringer Gravel Company, have been under option to a company of northern capitalists for some time.  This property belongs to a local company consisting of Messers. Kuffle, Blue, Byrne, and Nosser.  It consists of 320 acres in the wash about half way to Atolia.  Much work has been done on it in the last two years and good values demonstrated both in gold and tungsten.  The ground was carefully examined by an expert with a view to working it by dredging, but owing to the difficulty of separating the tungsten and the cost of power, he reported adversely.”—Bakersfield Morning Echo


March 20, 1912: “SHARP SAFE CRACKERS AT WORK (By United Press Leased Wire.) SAN BERNARDINO, Cal., Mar. 20.—News of a desperate revolver battle in which two bandits who attempted to loot the Central Lode Mining company’s offices at Owl Springs of bullion valued at  $20,000, were fatally – wounded and Watchman Henry Preston was shot through the shoulder, was brought here today. The bandits are H. Langley, known as “Slim,” and Bert Lane, desert teamsters. Each man is reported to have been shot twice through the chest. Owl Springs is an isolated camp in the Randsburg mining district. Officers of the company, Including President! James R. Buckley and Treasurer Charles P. Phillips had just arrived at Owl Springs to superintend the shipment of the bullion to Randsburg.  Preston surprised the men working over the safe where the treasure was stored and opened fire. He will recover.” – The Tacoma Times



January 30, 1900: “John E. Bailey has sold to J. R. Price et al his one-fourth interest in the Combination mine, Rand district.” – Los Angeles Herald

August 6, 1923: “TURN FROM SILVER TO MINE FOR GOLD—Randsburg District Now Excited Over Showing in New Mine – Randsburg, Calif. Aug. 16.—Indicating that mining investors are turning from silver to gold is revealed in this district by the number of sales of gold properties within the last fortnight.  One of the most important transactions recorded here for several weeks was announced today by J. N. Reynolds in the purchase of the Capitola and Combination claims from A. L. Anderson.  This property is situated in the gold belt and les directly between the Sunshine and Blackhawk, both famous producers of the yellow metal, and is surrounded by other mines that have contributed their share to the world’s gold supply.  While the consideration which was cash was not announced, it is understood to be well in five figures.

Reynolds announced that work would be started on the property at once and ore bodies that are now exposed would be opened to a greater depth and the ore treated at the Black Hawk mill which is nearby.  At present there are approximately 50 tons of milling ore on the dump that averages according to assays, $40 a ton.” –Bakersfield Californian


January 30, 1900: “The Wasp mine, owned by Ashford Brothers, is under a bonded lease to Frank Rose et al. In one shaft the leasees have struck ore two feet wide, and in another shaft the ore is 10 inches wide.” – Los Angeles Herald


April 25, 1897: “D. W. Hasson and W. E. Jones of this place (Santa Ana) have contracted for two tunnels on shafts to be put in on their Randsburg mining claims.” – The Herald


March 20, 1897: “ACROSS THE RIVER – Notes of Personal Interest Prom the East Side- Mr. Whipple of Pasadena Avenue is home again after a six months’ absence at his mine near Randsburg.” – The Herald


April 23, 1897: “Harry Yarnell, brother of M. A. Yarnell of this city (San Diego), is in from the Randsburg mining district. He will return in a few days to proceed with the development of claims he has located in that vicinity. “– The Herald


June 29, 1917: “CLAIMS WOMAN BROKE PROMISE TO MARRY—Claiming that in April he conveyed a two-thirds interest in the Treasurer mine in the Randsburg district to Mrs. Winifred E. Nelson of Los Angeles on her promise to marry him, M. H. Elliot has brought suit in San Bernardino to recover the interest, alleging that Mrs. Nelson has refused to marry him, and refuses to return the deed or the profits of the mine.” – Bakersfield Californian


October 3, 1921: “The Pacific Mining and Milling Company sent out a $1500 brick, the result of a 20-day run from the old Kinyon dump.” – Bakersfield Californian



June 29, 1908: “Messrs. Laydon and Griffin, owners of the Gold Coin and Stanford properties, left last evening for Los Angeles, where it is understood they went to purchase machinery and air drills for their property.” –The Herald

December 22, 1923: EDSON ABEL IS ABOUT READY to start the 40-ton ball mill on the old Gold Coin dumps.  In the early days of gold mining in and around Randsburg, much good ore under $40 was thrown over the dump.  Overhead costs left but little for the mine owner under that figure.”—Bakersfield Californian


October 13, 1923: DREDGING OPERATIONS, a project being handled under the direction of M. Norden in the flat west of Randsburg, have been started and while it is too early yet to tell just how successful the plan may be, due to the fact that no cleanup has yet been made, the greatest confidence exists among local mining men that a large per cent of the gold known to exist in the sands of that locality will be recovered.”—Bakersfield Californian


January 15, 1924: “FILE LOCATION NOTICE ON TWO RAND CLAIMS—T. M. Smith, E. B. Roberson and E. Phillips have filed with the county the discovery of the Wild Rose and Tiger Lilly mining claims.  The claims are located three miles east of the King Solomon holdings and four miles north of the Joe Walker mine.  The claims were staked on December 29, 1923.—Bakersfield Californian


January 28, 1924:  “Ed Holtz is finding good prospects on one of his claims between the Black Hawk and the Contact.”—Bakersfield Californian

Bonanza Consolidated placer claim No. 2, Marietta Consolidated placer claim No. 3, Bonanza Consolidated No. 1 and the Marietta Consolidated No. 2.

January 29, 1924: “A. L. Cram headed a party of prospectors who staked out a number of claims in the Rand District.  Associated with him are George Schwartz, George A. and William Bethune, D. J. Holohan and J. R. Burns and they have individually and collectively filed on four claims in the Rand District.  These new locations are designated as the Bonanza Consolidated placer claim No. 2, Marietta Consolidated placer claim No. 3, Bonanza Consolidated No. 1 and the Marietta Consolidated No. 2.  All claims were filed on in the names of the above people, who recorded same with County Recorder Charles Shomate.’—Bakersfield Californian


February 7, 1924: “Pearl Cripps, C. C. Warner and H. B. Griffis of Mojave have filed notices of the location of the Horse Shoe, Black Crown, Birthday, and Amber mining claims in the Randsburg District.  All four claims were staked on January 30 of this year and are in the immediate vicinity of producing properties.  Other claims staked in the Rand district include the Sunset numbers 1 and 2, located by Dennis J. Hohohan; Loco Fraction Lode mining claim, by the Silver Bell Mining Company, and the Sote Lode, located by the Treasure Hill Mining Company of Santa Barbara.”—Bakersfield Californian

ECLIPSE (Dixie Rand Company)

February 27, 1924: “DIXIE RAND WILL START OPERATIONS—Randsburg, Feb. 7.—A new scene of activity in the old “stringer” field will soon be under way when the Dixie Rand Company starts development on its Eclipse claim, which joins the Winnie on the west.  Several hundred feet of surface work has been done.  There is a shallow shaft, 65 feet deep, from which $15,000 in gold ore was extracted.  F. W. Leite is president.  S. L. Pearce, engineer, is in charge.”—Bakersfield Californian


February 28, 1924: “William H. Swift, Randsburg, performed $100 worth of labor on Gold Seal mine in Randsburg district, July, 1923 to July 1924.”– Bakersfield Californian


January 21, 1918: “Location Notices –Fred C. Fricke and Joel L. Skiles –Apex, Rand District.” –Bakersfield Californian.


March 19, 1904: Price and Nosser who are operating on the Stand-By milled 12 tons of ore at the Red Dog mill, Johannesburg, which went $27 to the ton.” –Los Angeles Mining Review



1962: LOCATED -SW1/4NW1/4 sec. 15, T30S, R40E, MDM, Rand District, 4 1/4 miles southwest of Randsburg, on southeast slope of Rand Mts.  Eighty acres of patented lands and 6 unpatented claims.  Developed by 110-foot vertical shafts and two 70 foot shafts on western part of south vein, 30 foot vertical shaft about 50 feet to east of main shaft, and an east-driven 50-foor drift adit  about 200 feet farther east.  Other short drifts and shallow pits on both veins.  Production undetermined.” –MINES AND MINERALS OF KERN COUNTY CALIFORNIA, CALIFORNIA DIVISION OF MINES AND GEOLOGY COUNTY REPORT 1


June 2, 1922: “RANDSBURG BOOM LOOMS AT MINES—Another new venture to augment the boom in Randsburg will be actively under way next week when the South Rand Mines Company, an organization composed of prominent San Joaquin valley residents will commence the sinking of a shaft on the property of that company along the “Big Dike” in Section Sixteen, southwest of the Kelly Mines.

Officials of the company and their engineers have been engaged for several weeks in making a thorough examination of the property and according to E. L. Burton, a former Colorado mining man who head the new company, some excellent silver assays have been recently obtained.

The favorable appearance of the structure of Section Sixteen has been commented upon many times by geologists and engineers inspecting the Randsburg camp, and the exploration work to be done on the South Rand mines property will be watched with great interests by mining men.”—Bakersfield Californian

South Rand Mines Company Stock Certificate (Copy)

June 22, 1922: “E. L. Burton of Bakersfield, the president of the South Rand Company, is in town. (Randsburg) He added a fine specimen of the ore from the South Rand to the collection in the chamber of commerce.” –Bakersfield Californian

March 8, 1923: “South Rand mining people going to Randsburg, Sunday March 11.  Every person that holds interest to South Rand property should be there and bring a friend.  Follow signs via Sunshine mine.” –Bakersfield Californian

March 10, 1923: “Repeat of March 8 advertisement

March 31, 1923: NOTICE OF STOCKHOLDERS MEETING OF SOUTH RAND MINES CO. – Notice is hereby given that the annual meeting of the stockholders of the South Rand Mines Company, a corporation, will be held in the office of said organization in room 22, Old Fish building, Bakersfield. California, on April 23, 1923 at the hour of 7:30 o’clock p.m. of that day for the purpose of electing a Board of Directors and to transact any other business coming before the meeting.

By order of the Board of Directors of said corporation.

Dated this 31st day of March, 1923

E. L. Burton

President of Said Corporation

W. R. Mongerson

Secretary of said Corporation” –Bakersfield Californian

April 4, 1923: NOTICE OF STOCKHOLDERS MEETING OF SOUTH RAND MINES CO.” --Bakersfield Californian

April 11, 1923: NOTICE OF STOCKHOLDERS MEETING OF SOUTH RAND MINES CO.”  –“Bakersfield Californian

April 11, 1923: “E. BURTON, President of the South Rand Mining company, paid his property a visit Sunday.”—Bakersfield Californian

April 21, 1923: “I. E. PORTER AND ELMER CONDLEY are on the board of directors of the South Rand Mining Company.”—Bakersfield Californian


April 4, 1924: “NOTICE OF STOCKHOLDERS MEETING OF SOUTH RAND MINES” –Bakersfield Californian

April 9, 1924: “NOTICE OF STOCKHOLDERS MEETING OF SOUTH RAND MINES” --Bakersfield Californian



NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that at a meeting of the directors of the SOUTH RAND MINES COMPANY held on the 4th day of April 1924, an assessment of one Half Cents per share was levied upon the subscribed capital.”  Bakersfield Californian

MARCH 1925: “The South Rand Mining Company holds 100 acres of ground about a mile north of the Silverton holdings.  There are three shallow shafts on the property.  A new shaft was started July 1, 1923, but after reaching a depth of 90 feet work was suspended.” --Hulin


NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that at a meeting of the directors of the SOUTH RAND MINES COMPANY held on the 7th day of November 1924, an assessment of one Half Cent per share was levied upon the subscribed capital stock of the corporation, payable before the 29th day of December, 1924, at Window 1 or 2 of the Security Trust Company, Bakersfield, California.  Any stock upon which this assessment shall remain unpaid on the 29th day of December, 1924, will be delinquent and advertised for sale at public auction, and unless payment is made before, will be sold on the 15th day of January, 1925, to pay the delinquent assessment, together with costs of advertising and expenses of sale.

C. J. Planz

Secretary of South Rand Mines Company, Bakersfield, California

Dec. 3-10-17-24-31.”—Bakersfield Californian


April 25, 1898:  “J. Donovan recently gave a bond on a quarter interest in the Golden Sheaf to Messrs. McKenzie & Long for $500. At the time the bond was given the ledge was narrow and the ore low grade, but since more development work has been done the ledge has become wider and the ore high grade. ” – The Herald

June 25, 1898: “The Golden Sheaf Mining Company. Principal place of business,  San Jose.— C. H. Fuller, J. D. Mackenzie, Charles Wehner and Jas.W. Rea of San Jose, and R. C. Long of Randsburg. – The Record Union


December 19, 1897: “F. B. Place has bonded the Alpha mine, an extension of the G. B., to Messrs. Justus & Pardone for a period of nine months. The amount involved is $1200, and Place is to receive 15 per cent of all the ore taken out in that time.” The Herald


November 08, 1897: “The company is about to place its stock on the market. It owns 320 acres of good placer ground and is working the same. It is considered a good purchase at 1 cent per share.” –The Herald


December 19, 1897:  “Prof. Louis Claverte of Casa de Rosas, Los Angeles, arrived here Sunday, and on Monday put a small force of men at work developing his Ezperansa mine.” – The Herald


October 7, 1899: “MONTE CHRISTO CLAIM in Fiddler’s Gulch,Warning –All parties are hereby warned against doing any work on the “Monte Christo” claim, or purchasing any interest in the Orpheus claim, pretending the same to be a relocation of the “Monte Christo” claim.  The owners of the “Monte Christo” claim have always complied with the law in regard to annual assessments and proper location.


Discoverer and one of original locators.

Randsburg Miner


April 19, 1916: $2, ooo was taken out of a hole with the first shot by Curless & Faver after they had taken over a lease on Atkinson property near the Merced line in the Stringer district.” –Bakersfield Californian


recently purchased the Illingworth and Colburn will be available for leasing in a few days and many leasers are looking for a chance at the claims which are considered valuable.  A lease nearby is producing about 25 pounds of high grade ore a day.Bakersfield Californian

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top