Author Archives: Bart Parker

THEATERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

KIRK THEATER — The Bakersfield Californian reported in May of 1915 that the first public meeting to be held in Atolia was held at the Kirk Theater to decide to take the necessary steps to make Atolia an incorporated city. The theatre not only served as the local movie house but also as the social gathering spot for the town.  … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

SPEAKEASYS (BLINDPIGS)

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

EDITOR’S NOTE–What Hollywood has led us to  belive is that illegal bars selling liquor were called  “Speakeasy’s”  and the individuals doing this were “Bootleggers” this may have been  the case iin other parts of the country but  here on west coast these establishment were known as “Blindpigs” and those involved  in the budsiness were “Blindpiggers>” J.B.P The station book for … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MISS F C. HOFFMAN – ATOLIA RESTAURANT The Atolia Restaurant was located on Main St. in Atolia.  It had two dining rooms, It advertised prompt and courteous service and featured music during meals. BONTON RESTAURANT The Randsburg Miner reported in September of 1915 that the Bonton Restaurant held an opening day dance and supper which was well attended by both … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

POOLHALLS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

S. J. CAMPBELL — The Randsburg Miner reported in July of 1912 that a person by the name of Campbell had started a pool hall in Atolia. Glenn St. Peters — Tungsten Pool Hall The Golden State Miner reported in November of 1917 that Glenn St. Peters was adding a barber shop to his pool hall.  The 1920 business directory … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

S. J. HARMLING — TUNGSTEN REVIEW The Tungsten Review was a supplementary paper to the Randsburg Miner, which dealt with the activities of Atolia.  S. J. Harmling purchased it in June of 1916 along with the Randsburg Miner. (See Section 1, Randsburg Newspapers for a more complete history of the publishers and editors who were in charge of this paper.) … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

C. A. McEWAN It has been reported to the author, by Mr. Ron Lerch of Sacramento, Ca. that he has located the name of a Mr. C. A. McEwan, who was listed in one of the business directories is Ron’s collection, as being a grocer in Atolia in 1908. CARL L. DUNNELL – ILLINGWORTH & DUNNELL -MINERS SUPPLY STORE. Carl … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

ICE CREAM PARLORS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MRS. R. VAN DYCY March 15, 1916: “Atolia’s new ice cream parlor was thrown open Thursday night with a big dance.  Randsburg music furnished the accompaniment for a large number of dancers.—Bakersfield Californian Mrs. Van Dycy (Dyke) was in business in July of 1918.   Her advertisement was one of those that appeared in a pamphlet type newspaper put out by the … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

HOTELS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CHARLES SHARAR Charles and his wife are known to have been residing in Atolia in 1912.  A Photo of the Hotel has been attributed to the period of the First World War 1916 to 1918. MRS. ERICKSON—MRS. I. W. HENDRICKSON– SOUTHERN HOTEL The Southern Hotel which was located on Rice Avenue near Second St. in the residential area of Atolia … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES AND AUTO STAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

GENE CARLTON — The Bakersfield Californian reported in May of 1916 that Gene Carlton had sold his cafe in Atolia to Mr. and Mrs. Al Burke and was now engaged in the automobile business with a garage and machine shop. ED CARY Ed Cary established a garage in Atolia in the spring of 1916 during the boom caused by World … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

DRUGGISTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

OSCAR GLANVILLE April 12, 1916:  “Granville’s drug store is about finished and is nearly ready for business.”  –Bakersfield Californian Oscar Glanville who was also in business in Randsburg and later in Mojave had a drug store in Atolia in May of 1917. A. A. TRUE — ATOLIA’S DRUG STORE Mr. True was in business in July of 1918.   His advertisement … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

BOARDING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

ATOLIA MINING & MILLING CO. In March of 1912 Mr. J. H. Burdick of Johannesburg was reported to have left there to go to Atolia run the company boarding house. MR. & MRS. F. C. HOFFMAN In September of 1915 the Randsburg Miner reported that the Hoffman’s were opening a new boarding house in Atolia and that board and meals … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

THE BAKERIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

BILLSON — When the second townsite of Atolia was being founded in 1915 it was reported in the Randsburg Miner that a man by the name of Billson was opening a bakery. P. HIJOS June 2, 1917: “FOR SALE OR LEASE –Bakery, Atolia, Cal., Brick oven, good trade, no bakery within five miles.  For more information write P. Hijos, Atolia, … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

THE BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MEADE’S BARBER SHOP— According to an advertisement appearing in The Atolia News, in 1916, Meade’s Barber Shop was located adjacent to the Atolia Restaurant which was on Main. St. 1 E. C. McINTYRE In the Atolian News of February25, 1919 it was reported that an alarm of fire had awoken the whole camp on the 2nd of January and that … More >


Posted in Atolia, Atolia Merchants | Comments Off

UTIILITY COMPANIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

POSTAL TELEGRAPH OFFICE In February of 1898 a Postal Telegraph office was established in Garlock with a phone to Randsburg.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

SHOEMAKERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

HOFFMAN BROS. Boots, shoes, and harness were the business of the Hoffman Bros. who were located in Garlock in 1898. 


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

SALOON KEEPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

FRANK CRITCHETT While undoubtedly Charley Koehn would never let a man go dry for want of something with a little more kick than Garlock well water, Frank Critchett was the first man to get a legitimate license to conduct a saloon in Garlock on 1 April, 1896. Frank hailed from Mojave where he was later in the Saloon business.  Frank … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MRS.  MARTIN — A reporter for The Daily Californian out of Bakersfield made a trip to the Rand Mining District in May of 1896.  While in Garlock he ate at an establishment ran by a Mrs. Martin.  In his article he states that “Mrs. Martin keeps a restaurant here where she furnishes meals at modest prices which are simply out … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

PHOTOGRAPHERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

A. FAY Mr. Fay is listed in the 1898 California Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Photographer is Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS AND NEWSTANDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SCHMIDT BROS. — GARLOCK NEWS This listing appears in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory.  It is not clear whether this was a newspaper or newsstand.  The Schmidt Bros. however are listed as proprietors rather than publishers which leads the author to believe that it was a newsstand.  The possibility of a Garlock newspaper however cannot be ruled … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CHARLES KOEHN Charley Koehn probably had the first store in Garlock.  His headquarters was Koehn Springs where he had homesteaded in the early 1890’s.  Charley provided supplies to the camp in Goler as well as the camp at Summit Diggings by Wagon before the strike was made in Randsburg. 1 G. McKINNON Contemporary with Charley Koehn was G. McKinnon who … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

LUMBER YARDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SAN PEDRO LUMBER CO. The San Pedro Lumber Co. listed themselves as being in business in Garlock in 1898. MOORE & SMITH — TEHACHAPI MILLING & TRADING CO. The Tehachapi Milling & Trading Co. had a lumberyard in Garlock in 1898. In 1897 Paul Ostrom was listed as manager in an article in the September 5 edition of the Los … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

LAUNDRIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

JUAN BASURTO — Juan was shown in the 1900 Census as a laundry man in Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

HOTELS AND BOARDING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MRS ARCHIE (MARY) MARTIN — Mrs. Martin’s Hotel/Boarding House was the site of the 1896 Fourth of July celebration in Garlock.  Over one hundred people attended it from Randsburg, Goler, and Koehn Springs in addition to those from Garlock.  Prior to running a boarding house Mrs. Martin had a restaurant in Garlock.   Mrs. Martin was raised in San Bernardino.  Her … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

FREIGHTERS, TEAMSTERS, LIVERYMEN & STAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SUMNER & GUERIN–MOJAVE AND RANDSBURG STAGE The Bakersfield Daily Californian reported in April of 1896 that Pete Guerin had established a new stage line to the mines in Randsburg, and that he would make his headquarters in Garlock. By May of 1896 Pete had established a partnership with a Mr. Sumner of Mojave and formed the Mojave and Randsburg Stage … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Transportation | Comments Off

FINANCAL INSTITUTIONS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

G. W. FOX — “THE DESERT BANK” In January of 1897 the Daily Morning Delta newspaper from Visalisa reported that “Garlock has a bank.” In April of 1897 the Kern County Board of Supervisors made a demand upon Mr. Fry that he pay a license for keeping a Banking House.  Mr. Fry responded that the name of his institution was … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

DRUGS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

DR. W. H. WRIGHT — Dr. Wright was listed as one of two doctors in the drug business in Garlock in both 1897 and 1898, however by 1902 he not only had no competition as a physician and druggist, he had few patients as he was listed as the only business in town J. S. MITCHELL The Los Angleles Herald … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BUTCHERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. D. FRY — FRY BROS. While no specific mention has been found that states that the Fry Bros., were conducting a butcher business in Garlock they did have a feed yard and corral on Post Office Avenue.  When they moved to Randsburg they are identified as butchers and as running a meat market. J. SPENCER In November of 1896 … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BAKERIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

R. T. SIMPSON Mr. Simpson was listed as running a bakery business in Garlock in 1898.  In addition a R. H. Simpson was listed as being in the Cigar and Tobacco business.  It is assumed that these two were probably related and most likely conducted their businesses out of the same location.  In the September 5, 1897 Los Angeles Herald … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BLACKSMITHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

O. E. Avery O. E. Avery was listed in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Blacksmith in Garlock. F. W. Carlisle Mr. Carlisle was listed in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Blacksmith in Garlock. GEORGE P. BRADY –BRADY & STACK In April of 1896 Mr. George P. Brady and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

SPEAKEASYS, POOLHALLS, AND OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS OF ILL REPUTE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CASEY’S PLACE — On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News. CRUSE & BAKER — MINER’S POOL HALL On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News. JOHN LEONARD — JACK’S PLACE On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News HENRY NATHANIEL “TEX’ SMITH — MONKEY … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

PALACE CAFE The Barstow Printer reported in January of 1920 that Mrs. Jennie White; the hostess of the Palace Cafe married Edwin Halloway and old time resident of Randsburg LEROY & COSTLEY — MOCHA RESTAURANT An advertisement for the Mocha Restaurant was found in the June 7, 1922 edition of the Rand District News. On April 14 1923 a fire … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. J. Apple — APPLE’S MARKET When Appel’s Market opened sometime in 1923 or 1924 it featured vegetables, fruits, eggs, butter, cheese, milk, bakery goods, poultry and fish.  After Prohibition was appealed the market also sold whiskey, drugs and notions.  The Appel Market was still doing business in 1950’s. F. B. ADAMS — OSDICK CASH STORE From an advertisement in … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

ICE CREAM PARLORS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Hasking & Logan– Osdick Ice Cream Parlor Advertised in the June 7, 1922 edition of the Rand District News, the ice cream parlor was located on Hampton Ave. in Osdick.


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

P. J. OSDICK — OSDICK GARAGE In the Rand District News , on 7 June 1922 , an advertisement appeared in the Rand District News for the Osdick Garage. Pete Osdick havingbeen on the ground floor of this strike evidently made a bit of money and opened a garage.  When the town of Osdick burnt down in 1922 all of … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

BOARDING, ROOMING, AND LODGING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CHILDS & DANCEY — OSDICK BOARDING HOUSE On 7 June 1922, in the Rand District News, an advertisement for the Osdick Boarding House appeared.  It was located on Hampton Avenue, which is the road that runs directly up to the Kelly Mine from Highway 295 (Nosser Ave.). appeared in the Rand District News. They offered a first class short order … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

FLOWER’S BARBER SHOP On 7 June 1922 an advertisement was found for Flower’s Barber Shop in the Rand District News.


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

UTILITIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

UTILITIES Squaw Spring Water Co. The Squaw Springs Water Co. was formed to provide water to Randsburg and Johannesburg.  A receipt in the collection of the Kern County Museum showing a date of 1 January 1899 proves that they were in business in 1898. 1 Add information from McPherson’s                                                             Postal Telegraph Co. The Postal Telegraph Co.  operated in Randsburg prior … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Township | Comments Off

TAXIDERMIST

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Wm. Howley An advertisement in the May 15, 1915 Randsburg Miner, showed that Wm. Howley was conducting a taxidermist business in the building formerly occupied by Pete’s Restaurant.  Randsburg seems like an unlikely place for a taxidermist, however the below photo shows that occasionally there was some available business.


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SKATING RINKS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mrs. Everett Randsburg’s first skating rink was opened in December of 1896.  It was a building 40′ by 60′ in size.  On Christmas of that year the festivities were kicked off with a Ball at the skating rink.  There were forty couples present with attendants from Garlock as well as Randsburg. It is not known for sure that Mrs. Everett … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SHOEMAKERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Rufus W. Osbourne Except for a brief absence of nine months during 1905, Mr. Osbourne was in business in Randsburg from 1900 to 1910.  During his nine-month absence he had been to Coos Bay Oregon and back to Goldfield, but decided that there was no better place than Randsburg.  Mr. Osbourne was a native of Massachusetts, and was 68 years of … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SALOONS & BARS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Starkey & Richards The first saloon in Randsburg appears to have been the Starkey & Richards Saloon.  Ed Starkey was a saloonkeeper from Mojave and Charles Richards was a popular young man from Los Angeles County.  They opened the saloon sometime in 1895 and ran it until their deaths.  Ed Starkey died of natural causes in December of 1896 at … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mrs. Alfred — In December of 1896 Mrs. Minnie Alfred operated a restaurant in Randsburg; in January of 1897 she built another building adjoining her restaurant which was 24 x 40 with sleeping rooms in the back.  According the Randsburg Miner the restaurant was located on Butte Ave.  Minnie was still listed as being in business in the 1898-business directory. … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

PSYCHICS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Leontine Miller In 1913 Randsburg had the distinction of having a psychic, medium and palmist in residence.  Maintaining an office across the street from the Houser Hotel, she offered advice on business deals, mining laws and litigation, location of ore bodies and would even diagnose your physical ailments.  Cures for rheumatism and nervous troubles were offered.  


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

POOL HALLS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Louis Wagner — Broadway Hall The Broadway Hall is believed to have been Louis Wagner’s original place of business in Randsburg.  In July of 1897 Louis was issued a saloon license and opened the first billiard parlor in Randsburg.  The January 1898 fire was stopped at Wagner’s Saloon, it is not clear if this was the last building burnt or … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

George W. Glover — Randsburg Miner George Glover who had came from South Pasadena started the first newspaper in Randsburg, the Randsburg Miner.  The first edition was published on the 12th of December 1896.  Mr. Glover ran the paper until 1898 when he sold out to Frank P. McDivitt.  Mr. Glover returned to Pasadena and later relocated to Oceanside, Cal. … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Charles A. Koehn– Koehn’s Store In January of 1896 the Bakersfield Daily Californian, reported the following: “There have been about 150 locations made in the district, and at a meeting to elect a recorder, there were thirty five miners present.  The district is called the Rand District.  There are five wooden buildings including stables, corral, saloon and about thirty tents.  … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

LUMBER YARDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Cruse Bros. Archie Cruse of Bishop, who was the father of Mrs. J. H. Underhill of Mojave, and his brother George, started a feed and lumberyard in Randsburg in October of 1896.  On October 31 of 1896 the account books of the Rand Mine show that the Cruse Bros. were paid $15.34 for lumber.  Prior to this time the mine had been … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

HOTELS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Henderson & Roach– St. Elmo Hotel (Crawford House) John Crawford came to Randsburg during the summer of 1896. He was a Kern County Deputy Sheriff and came with Cy Droilluard and was a partner in the St. Elmo Mine located near present day Atolia.  John built a saloon and hotel in Randsburg but could not manage both so he sold out the … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Hill Brothers– In 1915 the Hill Brothers, of Johannesburg, excavated for a 40 x 50 foot garage across from the Houser Hotel. They stayed in business at this location until sometime in 1917 when they sold out to R.O. Rinaldi.  This is just to the left of the old barbershop complex on Butte Avenue R. O. Rinaldi- Rinaldi’s Garage In November … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

FURNITURE MANUFACTURERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mitchel & Goodhart In the 1898 Business Directory Mitchel & Goodhart were listed as being manufacturers of furniture, etc.   The Etc.  during this period of our history usually included casket making.  This was a profession that the Rand Mining District was sorely lacking.  In fact John Mahoney in a letter to his sweetheart Miss Pearl Robinson in January of 1907 … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off