SCHOOL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “There are fifty children of school age in the district and the town has a substantial frame schoolhouse 20×36.” — The Herald October 04, 1897:  “The first term of public school in Garlock will open Monday, with Miss F. M. Doss as teacher.” – The  Herald October 18, 1897:  “The enrollment at the public school has become … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Township | Comments Off

GARLOCK (PIONEER ) MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 27, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK, the Tehachapi capitalist, is erecting a ten stamp mill at Cow Wells  (eight miles from the Rand camp), with a capacity of twenty tons per day.”  –  The Bakersfield Californian February 11, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK is rapidly pushing his eight-stamp mill to completion at Cow Wells and will be ready to haul and crush ore … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

BENSON BROS. CHILI MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 27, 1896:  “BENSON BROS. have a Chili mill also at the same place (Garlock), with a capacity of two tons per day.” –  The Bakersfield Californian February 11, 1896:  “Benson Bros. “Chili” mill began to grind up ore Monday morning.” — The Californian


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

VISALIA MILL ( RAND MILL )

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “The Visalia Mining and Milling Company has important mining interests in the Radamacher district, which ore  now being worked at the mill. D. N. Coflin is the superintendent. It has ten stamps, capacity 20 tons daily; has a concentrator in connection and is complete in all its appointments. It is now working Rand, Harney-Webb (Hard Cash) and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SMITH & MAXON MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

April 30, 1897:  “SOME TIME AGO the Ashford boys and Bull leased the Hector mine of J. F. Kelly, Al Lester and Charles and Frank Adams.  The lease permitted them to sink the shaft fifty feet deeper and drift twenty-five feet each way, and if they encountered good ore on either side, gave them the additional privilege of going 100 … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HENRY AND WHIPPLE MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 12, 1896; “THE 20 STAMP MILL belonging to Henry and Whipple will be in operation in Garlock by the 20th of the month.” – The Bakersfield Californian August 2, 1897: “THE HENRY TEN STAMP MILL at Garlock Is running on ore from the Skookum mine, which will average $75 per ton.” – The Herald September 05, 1897: “E. E. Henry, … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

OAKLAND CO.’S MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 1, 1897:  “FIVE  STAMPS MORE have been put in the Oakland Co.’s mill, and they are now at work.”  —  Mining And Metallurgical Journal


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HUGHES MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

June 1, 1898:  “LAST SUNDAY, May 22nd, the Rand people shut off the supply of ore to the Henry Mill and also the Hughes Mill, throwing about forty men out of employment. It is rumored that the ore is hereafter to be milled at Barstow. The Visalia Mill is still running on Rand ore, but the supply may stop at … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

L. E. PORTER CO. MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “THE ELECTRO-CHEMICAL PROCESS – Before closing this article the writer would call attention to the valuable improvements in machinery and processes for treating all kinds of ore made by  L. E. Porter of Los Angeles, which processes are now controlled by the Porter Gold and Silver Extraction company of Los Angeles, a corporation recently organized and having … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HALL MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

August 15, 1899:  “THE HALL CYANIDE PLANT is about the only active institution in Garlock at the present time.  Almost everybody has gone for a summer vacation to mountains or coast.”  — Mining And Metallurgical Journal


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

TREMAIN STAMP MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 5, 1896:  “The new Tremain stamp mill out at Garlock started up on Wednesday.” — The Californian October 8, 1896:  “Edward McKiernan, son of J. M. McKiernan of the Tremain steam stamp mill, has gone back to Porterville to attend school.” — The Californian September 11, 1897: ” This group of mines, consisting of the Yorkshire Lass, Skookum, Superior, and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

KELLY MILL –Garlock

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 September 05, 1897:  “John Kelly has a two-stamp mill, capacity five tons per day.” – The Herald MENTIONED IN PAUL HUBBARD’S BOOK Garlock Memories.  Again possible one of the other mills bought out by someone with the name of Kelley.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

POMONA MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

October 18, 1897: “GARLOCK – The additional five stamps for the Pomona mill are expected daily, and they will be put  in place as soon as they arrive, increasing the capacity of this mill to ten stamps. Other needed improvements will also be added to the mill.”– The Herald October 18, 1897: “A. PADISEU OF OALAND has arrived in Garlock to … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HUNTINGTON MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

August 23, 1897: “MR. D. G. WEBB OF THE HARD CASH MINES, about 5 miles west of town returned yesterday from a business trip to Los Angeles. C. A. Harney, the other partner in the same group of mines, has been quite ill for some days, but is now improving. Webb and Harney have made up their minds to erect … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SPANGLER MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

March 28, 1898:  “MR. JOHN SKINNER from Spanglor district reports much work being done there. He says the Spangler boys are taking out all the rich ore they can handle in their two stamp mill in Garlock, and that all the ore in and about Garden station is refractory, but can be concentrated. It carries a certain amount of free gold.—California … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SHOWERS AND DOWNING

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 12, 1896:  “A two stamp mill for Showers and Downing was taken to Garlock this week.” — The Californian


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

WATER

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “WATER SUPPLY — Garlock has an excellent water supply, comprising about sixty wells, ranging in depth from twenty to fifty feet; also eight bored wells each from 110 to 210 feet. It is affirmed by expert water men  who have carefully investigated the subject that artesian water abounds at a depth of from 300 to 400 feet. … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Township | Comments Off

MILLS OF GARLOCK– INTRODUCTION

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “The pride of Garlock is its mills, of which there are six, also two cyanide works and two sample mills. The aggregate capacity of the mills is 76 tons daily, the total tonnage 2250 tons per month and the average of ore milled is $76 per ton. At least three-fourths of the ore from Randsburg district is … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

EARLY HISTORY OF GARLOCK (COW WELLS)

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

In the best tradition of the “Old Timers” Cow Wells, later to become known as Garlock, was the camping ground for Mesquite Springs, thereby leaving free access to the springs for wild life. It is thought to have been used first by Mexican horse thieves who were stealing horses in the settlements around San Fernando and driving them to the mission … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Township | Comments Off

PARKER AND McCONNELL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “Parker & McConnell, successors to McKernan & Sons, have a five-foot Huntington mill, capacity twenty tons per day and are working ores from Garlock district. ” – The Herald


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

GARLOCK CYANIDE WORKS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “THE GARLOCK CYANIDE WORKS is a completely equipped plant of 12 tons capacity daily. F. E. Carpenter is the manager, who, in conversation with the  writer, stated that although running on tailings from the Garlock mills since May 1st, the company is preparing to handle base ores from all parts of the Mojave desert, including the promising … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SMITH AND COLLINS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897: “Smith & Collins also have a cyanide works, with a capacity of from six to eight tons a day.” – The Herald November 23, 1897:  “The Garlock and Smith mills at Garlock are pounding away this week on G. B. ore. On Wednesday another rich strike was made at that mine, the ore running in the neighborhood … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

RED ROCK AND ADJACENT AREAS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “In the celebrated Red Rock district placer mining was conducted very extensively and. profitably for many years, the nuggets ranging from $50 to $700 in value. Although quartz mining has largely superseded, placer mining, there are still from 40 to 50 men engaged in the latter pursuit, by dry washer process. Parties are also sinking a shaft … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mines | Comments Off

EL PASO MOUNTAINS, BLACK MOUNTAIN, AND RADEMACHER HILLS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 15, 1897:  In the Rademacher district there is much activity in mining. Forty-seven camps have been established. Considerable work is being done on Dr. Echafer’s mine, and also on the Rademacher, Louis Riggs’, McKinney Brothers’ and the O’Connor and Rutherford properties. A couple of arrastras are being run in that district. At present most of the ore is being … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mines, Uncategorized | Comments Off

SEARLES STATION, SUMMIT DIGGINGS AND SPANGLER DISTRICT

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SEARLES STATION February 16, 1923:  Jim Witt has brought in samples of lead-silver ore that they discovered north of Garden Station.  He states that they located four clams, that there’s lots of it there on the surface.” – Bakersfield Californian SUMMIT DIGGINGS February 05, 1894: “SUMMIT – Summit camp is east from Goler, and from there also good reports come. … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mines | Comments Off

MARRIAGES, BIRTHS AND DEATHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

DEATHS April 29, 1897:  “A MINER MURDERED – THE SLAYER KILLS HIMSELF IMMEDIATELY – JOHANNESBURG, CAL., (Regular Correspondence.) On Friday a terrible tragedy occurred five miles north of Garlock, which resulted in the death of Ben and John Higglns, who, with another brother, William, were living In a tent and engaged in mining in the vicinity. A Mr. Campbell, of … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Township, Uncategorized | Comments Off

BLACKSMITHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

O. E. Avery O. E. Avery was listed in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Blacksmith in Garlock. F. W. Carlisle Mr. Carlisle was listed in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Blacksmith in Garlock. GEORGE P. BRADY –BRADY & STACK In April of 1896 Mr. George P. Brady and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BAKERIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

R. T. SIMPSON Mr. Simpson was listed as running a bakery business in Garlock in 1898.  In addition a R. H. Simpson was listed as being in the Cigar and Tobacco business.  It is assumed that these two were probably related and most likely conducted their businesses out of the same location.  In the September 5, 1897 Los Angeles Herald … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BUTCHERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. D. FRY — FRY BROS. While no specific mention has been found that states that the Fry Bros., were conducting a butcher business in Garlock they did have a feed yard and corral on Post Office Avenue.  When they moved to Randsburg they are identified as butchers and as running a meat market. J. SPENCER In November of 1896 … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

DRUGS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

DR. W. H. WRIGHT — Dr. Wright was listed as one of two doctors in the drug business in Garlock in both 1897 and 1898, however by 1902 he not only had no competition as a physician and druggist, he had few patients as he was listed as the only business in town J. S. MITCHELL The Los Angleles Herald … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

FINANCAL INSTITUTIONS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

G. W. FOX — “THE DESERT BANK” In January of 1897 the Daily Morning Delta newspaper from Visalisa reported that “Garlock has a bank.” In April of 1897 the Kern County Board of Supervisors made a demand upon Mr. Fry that he pay a license for keeping a Banking House.  Mr. Fry responded that the name of his institution was … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

FREIGHTERS, TEAMSTERS, LIVERYMEN & STAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SUMNER & GUERIN–MOJAVE AND RANDSBURG STAGE The Bakersfield Daily Californian reported in April of 1896 that Pete Guerin had established a new stage line to the mines in Randsburg, and that he would make his headquarters in Garlock. By May of 1896 Pete had established a partnership with a Mr. Sumner of Mojave and formed the Mojave and Randsburg Stage … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Transportation | Comments Off

HOTELS AND BOARDING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MRS ARCHIE (MARY) MARTIN — Mrs. Martin’s Hotel/Boarding House was the site of the 1896 Fourth of July celebration in Garlock.  Over one hundred people attended it from Randsburg, Goler, and Koehn Springs in addition to those from Garlock.  Prior to running a boarding house Mrs. Martin had a restaurant in Garlock.   Mrs. Martin was raised in San Bernardino.  Her … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

LAUNDRIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

JUAN BASURTO — Juan was shown in the 1900 Census as a laundry man in Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

LUMBER YARDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SAN PEDRO LUMBER CO. The San Pedro Lumber Co. listed themselves as being in business in Garlock in 1898. MOORE & SMITH — TEHACHAPI MILLING & TRADING CO. The Tehachapi Milling & Trading Co. had a lumberyard in Garlock in 1898. In 1897 Paul Ostrom was listed as manager in an article in the September 5 edition of the Los … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CHARLES KOEHN Charley Koehn probably had the first store in Garlock.  His headquarters was Koehn Springs where he had homesteaded in the early 1890’s.  Charley provided supplies to the camp in Goler as well as the camp at Summit Diggings by Wagon before the strike was made in Randsburg. 1 G. McKINNON Contemporary with Charley Koehn was G. McKinnon who … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS AND NEWSTANDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SCHMIDT BROS. — GARLOCK NEWS This listing appears in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory.  It is not clear whether this was a newspaper or newsstand.  The Schmidt Bros. however are listed as proprietors rather than publishers which leads the author to believe that it was a newsstand.  The possibility of a Garlock newspaper however cannot be ruled … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

PHOTOGRAPHERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

A. FAY Mr. Fay is listed in the 1898 California Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a Photographer is Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MRS.  MARTIN — A reporter for The Daily Californian out of Bakersfield made a trip to the Rand Mining District in May of 1896.  While in Garlock he ate at an establishment ran by a Mrs. Martin.  In his article he states that “Mrs. Martin keeps a restaurant here where she furnishes meals at modest prices which are simply out … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

SALOON KEEPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

FRANK CRITCHETT While undoubtedly Charley Koehn would never let a man go dry for want of something with a little more kick than Garlock well water, Frank Critchett was the first man to get a legitimate license to conduct a saloon in Garlock on 1 April, 1896. Frank hailed from Mojave where he was later in the Saloon business.  Frank … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

SHOEMAKERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

HOFFMAN BROS. Boots, shoes, and harness were the business of the Hoffman Bros. who were located in Garlock in 1898. 


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

UTIILITY COMPANIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

POSTAL TELEGRAPH OFFICE In February of 1898 a Postal Telegraph office was established in Garlock with a phone to Randsburg.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. LYSER Listed in the September 5, 1897 edition of the Los Angeles Herald as the proprietor of a Barber shop in Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

HARNESS SHOP

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

L. E. HOFFMAN Listed in the September 5, 1897 edition of the Los Angeles Herald as the proprietor of a Harness shop in Garlock.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

ASSAYER

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

O. E. Avery O. E. Avery was listed in the 1898 California State Gazetteer & Business Directory as being a assayer in Garlock. F. W. Carlisle Los Angeles Herald repirted in their September 5 edition that” F. W. Carlyle, formerly of Los An geles, has a very complete establishment, where ores, bullion and minerals are assayed and analyzed. He givesspecial attention … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants | Comments Off

POSTOFFICE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

ESTABLISHED                                                 APRIL 10, 1896                                                       DISCONTINUED           … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Township | Comments Off

Summit Diggings

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

February 05, 1894: “SUMMIT – Summit camp is east from Goler, and from there also good reports come. A miner named Van Slyke is working there; he has two or three partners working with him. A person who was at the camp recently says when he was there Mr. Van Slyke was absent, having gone after supplies, and to sell … More >


Posted in Garlock Mines, Summit Diggings | Comments Off

GOLER MINING ACTIVITY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 02, 1893: “THE GOLER MINING CAMP. Mr. J. W. Abell, formerly a resident of Perris, but now a prospector of the new Goler Mining district, some thirty miles northeast of Mojave, brought with him a handsome assortment of nuggets from his camp. Mr. Abell says there are now about fifty miners in the camp engaged in placer and quartz … More >


Posted in Garlock, Goler Mines | Comments Off