GARLOCK (PIONEER ) MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 27, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK, the Tehachapi capitalist, is erecting a ten stamp mill at Cow Wells  (eight miles from the Rand camp), with a capacity of twenty tons per day.”  –  The Bakersfield Californian February 11, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK is rapidly pushing his eight-stamp mill to completion at Cow Wells and will be ready to haul and crush ore … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

BENSON BROS. CHILI MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 27, 1896:  “BENSON BROS. have a Chili mill also at the same place (Garlock), with a capacity of two tons per day.” –  The Bakersfield Californian February 11, 1896:  “Benson Bros. “Chili” mill began to grind up ore Monday morning.” — The Californian


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

VISALIA MILL ( RAND MILL )

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “The Visalia Mining and Milling Company has important mining interests in the Radamacher district, which ore  now being worked at the mill. D. N. Coflin is the superintendent. It has ten stamps, capacity 20 tons daily; has a concentrator in connection and is complete in all its appointments. It is now working Rand, Harney-Webb (Hard Cash) and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SMITH & MAXON MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

April 30, 1897:  “SOME TIME AGO the Ashford boys and Bull leased the Hector mine of J. F. Kelly, Al Lester and Charles and Frank Adams.  The lease permitted them to sink the shaft fifty feet deeper and drift twenty-five feet each way, and if they encountered good ore on either side, gave them the additional privilege of going 100 … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HENRY AND WHIPPLE MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 12, 1896; “THE 20 STAMP MILL belonging to Henry and Whipple will be in operation in Garlock by the 20th of the month.” – The Bakersfield Californian August 2, 1897: “THE HENRY TEN STAMP MILL at Garlock Is running on ore from the Skookum mine, which will average $75 per ton.” – The Herald September 05, 1897: “E. E. Henry, … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

OAKLAND CO.’S MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 1, 1897:  “FIVE  STAMPS MORE have been put in the Oakland Co.’s mill, and they are now at work.”  —  Mining And Metallurgical Journal


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HUGHES MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

June 1, 1898:  “LAST SUNDAY, May 22nd, the Rand people shut off the supply of ore to the Henry Mill and also the Hughes Mill, throwing about forty men out of employment. It is rumored that the ore is hereafter to be milled at Barstow. The Visalia Mill is still running on Rand ore, but the supply may stop at … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

L. E. PORTER CO. MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “THE ELECTRO-CHEMICAL PROCESS – Before closing this article the writer would call attention to the valuable improvements in machinery and processes for treating all kinds of ore made by  L. E. Porter of Los Angeles, which processes are now controlled by the Porter Gold and Silver Extraction company of Los Angeles, a corporation recently organized and having … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HALL MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

August 15, 1899:  “THE HALL CYANIDE PLANT is about the only active institution in Garlock at the present time.  Almost everybody has gone for a summer vacation to mountains or coast.”  — Mining And Metallurgical Journal


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

TREMAIN STAMP MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 5, 1896:  “The new Tremain stamp mill out at Garlock started up on Wednesday.” — The Californian October 8, 1896:  “Edward McKiernan, son of J. M. McKiernan of the Tremain steam stamp mill, has gone back to Porterville to attend school.” — The Californian September 11, 1897: ” This group of mines, consisting of the Yorkshire Lass, Skookum, Superior, and … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

KELLY MILL –Garlock

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 September 05, 1897:  “John Kelly has a two-stamp mill, capacity five tons per day.” – The Herald MENTIONED IN PAUL HUBBARD’S BOOK Garlock Memories.  Again possible one of the other mills bought out by someone with the name of Kelley.


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

POMONA MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

October 18, 1897: “GARLOCK – The additional five stamps for the Pomona mill are expected daily, and they will be put  in place as soon as they arrive, increasing the capacity of this mill to ten stamps. Other needed improvements will also be added to the mill.”– The Herald October 18, 1897: “A. PADISEU OF OALAND has arrived in Garlock to … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

HUNTINGTON MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

August 23, 1897: “MR. D. G. WEBB OF THE HARD CASH MINES, about 5 miles west of town returned yesterday from a business trip to Los Angeles. C. A. Harney, the other partner in the same group of mines, has been quite ill for some days, but is now improving. Webb and Harney have made up their minds to erect … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SPANGLER MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

March 28, 1898:  “MR. JOHN SKINNER from Spanglor district reports much work being done there. He says the Spangler boys are taking out all the rich ore they can handle in their two stamp mill in Garlock, and that all the ore in and about Garden station is refractory, but can be concentrated. It carries a certain amount of free gold.—California … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SHOWERS AND DOWNING

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

December 12, 1896:  “A two stamp mill for Showers and Downing was taken to Garlock this week.” — The Californian


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

MILLS OF GARLOCK– INTRODUCTION

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “The pride of Garlock is its mills, of which there are six, also two cyanide works and two sample mills. The aggregate capacity of the mills is 76 tons daily, the total tonnage 2250 tons per month and the average of ore milled is $76 per ton. At least three-fourths of the ore from Randsburg district is … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

PARKER AND McCONNELL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “Parker & McConnell, successors to McKernan & Sons, have a five-foot Huntington mill, capacity twenty tons per day and are working ores from Garlock district. ” – The Herald


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

GARLOCK CYANIDE WORKS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “THE GARLOCK CYANIDE WORKS is a completely equipped plant of 12 tons capacity daily. F. E. Carpenter is the manager, who, in conversation with the  writer, stated that although running on tailings from the Garlock mills since May 1st, the company is preparing to handle base ores from all parts of the Mojave desert, including the promising … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off

SMITH AND COLLINS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

September 05, 1897: “Smith & Collins also have a cyanide works, with a capacity of from six to eight tons a day.” – The Herald November 23, 1897:  “The Garlock and Smith mills at Garlock are pounding away this week on G. B. ore. On Wednesday another rich strike was made at that mine, the ore running in the neighborhood … More >


Posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills | Comments Off