MILLS OF JOBURG

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

The story of Mining is of necessity the story of Milling; the process by which gold, silver, tungsten and other valuable metals are separated from worthless rock.  ‘Hard Rock’, ‘Quartz’ Mills provided the needed crushing, pulverizing, wetting, treatment with mercury, cyanide, other chemicals in order to turn ore into bullion. Ore Mills were expensive propositions, usually requiring investments beyond the … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

Johannesburg Reduction and Sampling Works

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"___especially valuable to poor men___"

February 2, 1897: “WORES, the sampling works man of Tucson, Ariz. Left this morning but before going decided to locate his plant at Johannesburg, the company giving him a block ground containing sixteen lots as an inducement.  This will be of much benefit to our camp.  Every man who has a few sacks of ore, not enough for a milling, … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

Red Dog Mill

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"This is where the really cool quote will go, yes siree, right here!"
Red Dog Mill

AUTHOR’S NOTE, (BP 11/2010): Since we have ruins & tailings for only one mill adjoining the township, we assume the Red Dog Mill is the Johannesburg Reduction & Sampling Works by a new name; (as one fades from use as the other ascends). June 1, 1898: “VERY RICH ORE was milled at the Red Dog mill the past week. It … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

Pinmore aka Croesus Mill

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"Squeezing cream out of old "Bessie" was alot easier that squeezing gold out of the ground."
Croseus Mill

July 11, 1897: “THE PINMORE, lying west of the Val Verde was bonded a few days ago for $10,000, but I did not learn to whom.  They have a shaft down about 100 feet in this mine.”  –  Los Angeles Daily Times November 26, 1897:  “ADJOINING THEM on the east is the Pinmore mine owned by the Ashford Mining Company, … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Leave a comment

PHOENIX aka OPERATOR CONSOLIDATED MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
". . .will largely help to bring this district to the front, where it should belong."

July 23, 1904: “IT IS REPORTED THAT THE PHOENIX MILL at Johannesburg has been leased by Mr. Burcham of the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, and that it may be started up early this fall.  It is also stated that five stamps will be added to the five already in place.  The Boiler is and Erie 50 horse-power; the … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

WOOD’S AUTOMATIC DRY CONCENTRATOR MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
". . . will work a revolution in gold mining throughout the country."

    August 2, 1897:  “’Frank Cole, a prominent mining man of this city, has gone to Randsburg, where he will erect a dry concentrator plant of the Wood’s automatic pattern.” – The Herald August 25, 1897:  “All the machinery for the Wood dry concentrator is on the ground here, and the work of getting it in position is proceeding … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

KING SOLOMON MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"This is where the really cool quote will go, yes siree, right here!"

    April 23, 1915: “The King Solomon group of mines, comprising seven claims, were located in 1896 by the three Ashford brothers, Rhoda, Henry, and Harold, and are situated just east of the town, on the main road to Johannesburg.  Having no money of their own to spend in developing the property they took in a Mr. Bull as … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

PARKER MILL

Survey Number: #12345     Owner: Frank Furter     Date of Discovery: December 12, 1889
"___pounding away day and night and giving good satisfaction'

  May 19, 1900: “PARKER has started his own mill and is doing good work.”  –  Randsburg Miner June 19, 1900: “THE LITTLE 3-STAMP MILL of Parker’s is pounding away day and night and giving good satisfaction.  Just now they are at work on a 50 ton lot from the Annex mine for Messrs. Mongomery and Mcginnis.”  –  Randsburg Miner … More >


Posted in Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

Sunbeam Mill

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"This is where the really cool quote will go, yes siree, right here!"

    October 7, 1937: “NOTICE OF CONSTABLES SALE OF REAL PROPERTY. No. 31215, IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF KERN. AMERICO RIZZARDINI,  Plaintiff Vs. SUNBEAM MINING COMPANY, a corporation, Defendant Under and by virtue of an execution issued out of the Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the County … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

MINES OF JOBURG – INTRODUCTION

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"Born to Wander, Cursed to Stay and Dig."
King Solomon Tug of War Team

December, 1896: GOLD MINING in the hills surrounding Johannesburg started before the thought of a town was even conceived. Claims such as the Eagle’s Nest, Fairy Prince, Fairy Queen, Hector, King Solomon, Magpie, Miranda, Pinmore, Rocket and Wasp, which made up the Ashford Group of Mines were all discovered in the 1895 –1896 time frame. In addition are the Val … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

Transportation of Johannesburg

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
". . . transportation hub of the Upper Mojave Desert."
Freight team leaving Johannesburg

December, 1897: JOHANNESBURG was the transportation hub of the Upper Mojave Desert from the arrival of the Randsburg Railway in December of 1897 until the inauguration of railway services to the town of Trona in September of 1914.  Freight was hauled to Randsburg from the railhead in Johannesburg and in the early days ore was hauled from Randsburg to Barstow.  … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

JOHANNESBURG TOWNSITE ( SILVER CITY )

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
“Laid out as a proper townsite, in contrast to the higgledy-piggledy building of her next-door neighbor, (a fact she unabashedly called attention to now & then)." - Marcia Wynn, Desert Bonanza
Johannesburg May 1900

January, 1897: “Joburg”, as it is known to the natives, owes its existence to the discovery of gold (and other valuable minerals ) in the hills of the Rand Mining District.  The Johannesburg Milling and Water Co. laid out the town in December of 1896, with the anticipation of the arrival of the Randsburg Railroad, which occurred in December of 1897.  The company … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Township | Comments Off

RANDSBURG CIMA BIMETALLIC COMPANY

Survey Number:      Owner: Randsburg Cima Mining Company     Date of Discovery: 192?

1925: DEVELOPED  by a 1 ½ compartment vertical shaft, 200 feet deep, and apparently entirely in the Rosamond formation.  Water stands in the shaft.  No recent work has been done.  The property, which is owned by the Randsburg Cima Bimetallic Company; is located just east of Johannesburg.  –  Hulin This mine was developed during the “Silver Boom” in the Rand … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

RANDSBURG GOLD MINING, MILLING AND WATER SUPPLY COMPANY / VAL VERDE / PHOENIX, OPERATOR DIVIDE, OPERATER CONSOLIDATED

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

January 14, 1897:“A NEW MINING COMPANY HAS JUST BEEN FORMED and has been incorporated under the Colorado mining law to avoid the responsibility of stockholders.  The capital stock is $1,500,00 divided into shares of $1 each.  The shares are to be put on the market at 12 ½ cents each, not assessable.  The company has organized under the name of … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

KING SOLOMON, (Eagle’s Nest, Fairy Prince, Fairy Queen, Hector, King Solomon, Magpie, Miranda, Rocket, Wasp), aka NORTH RAND SILVER MINING CO., SAN FRANCISCO GOLD, and SHIPSEY MINING & MILLING CO.

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery: 1896?

September 15, 1896: “ASHFORD MINES (QUARTZ) —This group is 1 ½ miles E. of Randsburg at 3,800’ elevation, and comprise the Eagle’s Nest, Fairy Prince, Fairy Queen, Hector, King Solomon, Magpie, Miranda, Pinmore, Rocket and Wasp. The veins are small, 6” to 12” wide, and have a general course of S. E. and N. W. Only surface work is done … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

GOLD BAR, (Gold Bar & Right Hand Bower)

Survey Number:      Owner: April 1,1897     Date of Discovery:

July 11, 1897:  “ON THE GOLD BAR, east of the Alameda they are down about fifty feet on a ledge fifteen feet wide.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times July 25, 1897:  “H. L .HOLLIS AND GEORGE CURTIS have bonded the Gold Bar and Right Hand Bower mines from Thuston and Pardue, the bond to run a year.  These mines are situated … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

ALAMEDA MINE (Alameda & Jolly Girl)

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"Rich Ore Struck In Digging an Outhouse."

April 1, 1897:“THOMAS BULL, president of the Ashford Mining Company, has bonded to William McEwan for the sum of $3500 the Alameda and Jolly Girl claims, adjoining the townsite of Johannesburg and extensions of the Val Verde.  The bond runs one year, but McEwen agrees to go to work at once and do a certain amount of work each month … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

HARDTACK MINE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery: 192?

SUMMARY: 1962: “LOCATED SW ¼ sec. 24, T29S, R40E, MDM, Rand district, 1 ¼ miles northwest of Johannesburg. Vertical Shaft 135 feet deep in schist, 350 feet of horizontal workings at depth of 105 feet. No production. Owned in 1925 by Hard Tack Mining Co.” – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology County … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

PINMORE – CROESUS MINE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery: 1896

July 11, 1897: THE PINMORE lying west of the Val Verde was bonded a few days ago for $10,000, but I did not learn to whom.  They have a shaft down about 100 feet in this mine.”  –  Los Angeles Daily Times October 30, 1897:  “A day and night shift have been put to work on the Pinmore, and large quantities … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

J. N. CARROW

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

March 1900:  A receipt in the collection of the Kern County Museum shows J. N. Carrow as engaging in the business of blacksmithing, woodworking, and teaming in March of 1900.  — Kern County Museum March 16, 1901:  Randsburg, March 16. John G. Carrow, a freighter, 45 years of age, fell in front of the wheels of his wagon in Johannesburg … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

GEORGE H. COFFEY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  January, 1897:  GEORGE COFFEY, a native of Texas, by way of Los Angeles, was running two freight teams between Randsburg and Mojave in January of 1897. He appears in the 1898 Great Register of Voters as a freighter in Johannesburg.  George’s freighting business was the mainstay of support for Ballarat, and other points around Death Valley.  He also ran … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

CHARLES B. DOTY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Charles B. Doty, a native of Oregon, was listed in the 1900 Great Register of Voters for Kern County as being in the freighting business in Johannesburg. 2


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

W. C. PARKER

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 In May of 1907 Mr. Parker was reported to be inaugurating a new automobile stage line to Skidoo.  Mr. Parker was a machinist.  His automobile was made by procuring the running gear from an unknown make of automobile he acquired in Los Angeles and installing a 40 horse gasoline engine.  He was an accomplished machinist and was expected to be … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

Rinaldi & Clark

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

The firm of Otto Rinaldi &  W. F. Clark provided both freighting and stage services from Johannesburg to Trona, Ballarat, Harrisburg, and Skidoo.  The firm started in 1910 and operated through 1915. They operated a stage between Johannesburg and Ballarat, and a large number or wagons and freighting outfits which also operated between Johannesburg and Skidoo, a distance of one hundred … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

BEVERLY P. ROBINSON

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

BEVERLY P. ROBINSON The Robinson freight line was established in about 1908 to handle the increase in freighting business between Johannesburg and Skidoo. Mr. Robinson was assisted in this endeavor by his sons Bev and John ages 12 and 10 when they started handling the teams. Bev also worked for the Teagle Bros. delivering supplies to the mining camps in … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

WILKINS & HOFFMAN

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

WILKINS & HOFFMAN  The firm of Wilkins & Hoffman entered into the Auto Stage business in May of 1912.  They maintained a schedule of three round trips to Skidoo from Johannesburg. A one way trip took about 10 hours.  Their business at first consisted of passenger, baggage and light freight; however it was their intention to purchase a Packard Truck … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

LESTER LIVERMORE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Lester was conducting a freighting business out of Johannesburg in 1913.  He was hauling supplies for Skidoo, Ballarat, Borax Lake (Trona), and for Southern Sierras Power Co. 7


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

CHESTER CALLAWAY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 Chester was reported to have been hauling freight out of Johannesburg, with a ten-horse team, to the mines in the Ballarat area in April of 1913.


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

RANDSBURG RAILWAY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
"Johannesburg Holds Big party on arria of rairoad."

      1897:  Merry Christmas to the Rand Mining District.  On December 22, 1897 the first engine arrived at the Johannesburg, Ca. Depot on the new rail bed of the Randsburg Railway.  Although not officially opened until January of 1898 the railroad took exactly one year from the first mention of it in the Bakersfield Daily Californian on December 22, 1896 … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Transportation | Comments Off

WINDY MILL

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

April 23, 1925: “THE WINDY MINE, operated for the past few years, under lease, by Pat and Charles Fahey, will be worked on a larger scale as soon as modern methods can be installed. Charles Fahey secured a five-year lease a few days ago and work of erecting a mill will begin very soon.  The first work of extraction of … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mills | Comments Off

SUNBEAM MINE, (Lost River Fraction, Side Winder Extension, Barstow, Volcanic, Side Winder, Wolverine Claims)

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  October 7, 1937: “NOTICE OF CONSTABLES SALE OF REAL PROPERTY. No. 31215, IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF KERN. AMERICO RIZZARDINI,  Plaintiff Vs. SUNBEAM MINING COMPANY, a corporation, Defendant Under and by virtue of an execution issued out of the Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the County of … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

BLACK CLOUD PLACER MINE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
". . .is far superior than the old sleepy mule tied to a pole. '

  August 25, 1932:“ WORKS BETTER THAN MISSOURI MULE TYPE.  Randsburg Aug. 25—Many personal visits are being made to the Frank Feldman lease, on the Pinmore mine, Johannesburg, for the purpose of seeing the gold saving arasta built and installed at the mouth of the working shaft.  As the milling charges on ore through local custom mill is $6 the … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines | Comments Off

ASSAYERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  CHARLES R. WORES — JOHANNESBURG SAMPLING WORKS An advertisement appeared in the Randsburg Miner newspaper in May of 1898 for the above business.  Mr. Wores provided not only assay services but would also purchase ore at a discounted price based on the assay reults.  Thjis was a much needed service for the small miner to get ready cash to continue to develop his … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Francis Ford Hatfield — Mr. Hatfield listed his occupation as a Barber when he registered to vote in Johannesburg in 1898.


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

BLACKSMITHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

GEORGE BRADY Mr. Brady started out in Garlock and  is listed in the 1902 business directory as a blacksmith in Johannesburg. By 1904 he was in partner ship with the Houser Bros. in Randsburg in the Blacksmithing business. 2 S. F. LIDY Mr. Lidy pursued his occupation as blacksmith in Johannesburg from 1900 until October of 1905 when he sold out … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

BOARDING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. H. Burdick J. H. Burdick ran a boarding house in Johannesburg prior to March of 1912 when he sold out to Mrs. All and moved to Atolia to take charge of the company boarding house.  1  Mrs. A. All — Mrs. All bought out the interests of J. H. Burdick in a boarding house in Johannesburg in March of … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

DANCE HALLS and OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS OF ILL REPUTE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 L. L. Brennan — Monte Carlo Dance Hall In June of 1897 L. L. Brennan was issued a liquor license for Johannesburg.  It was reported that in October of 1897 That the Monte Carlo Dance Hall, in Johannesburg, was being remodeled and decorated.  Private boxes were being added.  Then local newspaper said that the young ladies engaged for the opening … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

R. T. F. Smith — Bank of Johannesburg The First Bank of Johannesburg was located in the building in which the Foursquare Church now resides. It was not the first bank for the Rand Mining District, as reported in the local newspaper at the time of its anticipated opening in late October of 1922, however it was the first and … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 L. W. Livengood & Noble  Mr. Livingood who appears to have been in the blacksmithing trade in Johannesburg as early as 1913, was listed in the 1920 business directory as conducting a garage business in Johannesburg. 1 L. W. Livengood & Christiernsen  By 1917 the partnership of Livengood and Noble and been dissolved and Christiernsen and joined the firm.  Hill … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

HOTELS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
“A tempest in a teapot, and a toy teapot at that."

VAL VERDE HOTEL The Los Angeles Herald reported that among the businesses of Johannesburg were The Val Verde hotel and Phillips’ restaurant which are commodious buildings, also the Miners’ home. MINER’S HOME The Miner’s Home mentioned above is assumed to have been a hotel of sorts.  It’s existance was confirmed in the October 31, 1897 Los Angeles Herald. H. W. Squires … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

LAUNDRIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mrs. Jennie Frydendell Jennie was listed in the 1900 Census as being a laundress in Johannesburg.


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

LUMBER MEN

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Tehachapi Lumber and Milling Company January 28, 1898: “The Tehachapi Lumber and Milling and Lumber Company is also erecting a building, and will make Johannesburg their headquarters for the Rand District.” – The Herald    Alexander N. Farris — Desert Lumber Company Mr. Farris was the agent for the Desert Lumber Company in Johannesburg in 1898.  However, by June of … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Arthur Woods — Commission House Mr. Woods was a commission and forwarding agent and dealt in hay, feed, potatoes flour and other staples.  Mr. Wood served as President of the Johannesburg Improvement Club until he sold his store in March of 1899. 1 Huston & Arnold August 29, 1897:  “J. S. Huston of Cripple Creek arrived In Johannesburg a week … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

 Charles Fuller Gates — The California Rand                 January 31, 1898:  “The California Rand, a weekly paper to be published at Johannesburg, will make its debut into the newspaper world next week, under the guidance of Chas. Fuller Gates, a bicyclist well known in Los Angeles. Mr. Gates is a young man of push, drives a trenchant and diversified pen, … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

POOLHALLS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  Schwartz & Heller — Jo-Burg Bar This advertisement, which appeared in the 7 June 1922 edition of the Rand District News, raises questions that have now been answered.  Where was the new Hotel?  It was on the south west corner of Buluwago and St. Elmo. Is this the bar that the fixtures from Tex Rickard’s famous saloon, the Northern in Goldfield … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

A. K. Cambell —      The Rand District news reported in June of 1922 that ” A. K. Campbell, a restaurant Man of experience said to himself, there are going to be a lot of hungry people around Johannesburg.  That new hotel won’t feed them all, so I’m going to set up right across the street from the front door.  He did, and … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

SODA FOUNTAINS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Lewis Huff — 1900;  WHILE THE LOCATION of the soda fountain is unknown, and it is not clear whether Lewis was the owner or just an employee, he did list his occupation in the 1900 Census as a soda dispenser.


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off

POSTOFFICE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

March 14, 1897: “The new post office at Johannesburg will be opened tomorrow (March 12), at the hotel Saturday  Mr. Curtis’s commission as postmaster arrived a few days ago, and the mail will be the same service as Randsburg, coming here first and continuing on to Johannesburg and will be daily.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times March 18, 1897: “The … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Township | Comments Off

CHURCHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

August 25, 1897:  “A union Sunday school was established in Johannesburg last Sunday and is being well attended.” – The Herald October 22, 1897  “A Sunday school is held in the hotel parlor each Sunday forenoon.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times January 3, 1898:  H. P. Case of Los Angeles, the Congregational Sunday school organizer for Southern California, arrived here Saturday … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Township | Comments Off

SALOON KEEPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

LLOYD B. (JACK) HARRISON– ALAMEDA SALOON The infamous Jack Harrison was one of the earliest settlers in the Rand Mining District.  Jack came here purportedly from the Oil fields of the San Joaquin valley, where he had been running a saloon, in late 1895.  According to Geo. W. McPherson in his History of the Rand Mining District, Jack opened one … More >


Posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants | Comments Off