SECTION AK-22

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION AK-23

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION AK-24

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION BK-27

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION BK-27 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1898. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION BK-26

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION BK-26 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1898. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION CK-33

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION CK-34

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION CK-34 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1898. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION CK-35

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION CK-35 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION DK-03

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION DK-03 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION DK-02

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION DK-02 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION DK-01

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION DK-01 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION EK-10

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

      MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION EK-10 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION EK-11

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

  MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION EK-11 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION EK-12

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION EK-12 BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962. GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897. GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged. Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION FK-15

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION FK-14

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SECTION FK-24

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims | Comments Off

SOLDIERS AND THEIR SUPPORT TEAMS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SOLDIERS June 12, 1899: “IN A REPORT FROM THE PHILIPINES Private Allen Kirby of the signal corps is favorably mentioned.  Kirby is a Randsburg boy and has many friends here.  He used to be in Hammond’s store.” –Corona Courier July 13, 1918: “TWO RANDSBURG BOYS ARE MADE CORPORALS –The honor of being the first two Randsburg Boys to receive promotions … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Township | Comments Off

LIBRARY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

February 17, 1917:  “RANDSBURG BRANCH LIBRARY TO REOPEN—The branch of the county free library at Randsburg will be reopened soon, according to the announcement made by Mrs. Julia G. Babcock, County Liberian.  The branch has been closed for some time and will be restocked with a complete assortment of interesting and educational books.  Daniel Gunderson, a well known resident of … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Township | Comments Off

ASSAYERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
A. J. Petter's Home In Randsburg.  Photo courtesy of Mr. Petter's grandson.

ADOLPH J. PETTER— Arriving in camp in September of 1896 Mr. Petter immediately set up his assay shop and went to work.  However in January of 1898 he lost his shop in the fire which burnt most of the business district of Randsburg.  He rebuilt only to be wiped out again in the May 1898 fire.  Mr. Petter was considered … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BAKERIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:
Old Randsburg Bakery Golden Crust Bread Wrapper.  This wrapper was found in one of the ares

JOHN POTTS – SIXTEEN TO ONE BAKERY – LOS ANGELES BAKERY The first bakery in town appears to have been the Los Angeles Bakery, which was run by John Potts in 1896.  By 1898 it appears that the name of his bakery had been changed to the 16 to 1 Bakery.  The Sixteen to One Bakery was listed in McPherson’s History of … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Even the rough and tumble mining camps of the late 1890’s had a demand for barbers.  Randsburg had the unique advantage of having a lady barber, which undoubtedly led to a much better groomed group of miners and muckers than many of the earlier camps.  If the photo below is in fact the barber shop of the lady in question, … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BUCKBOARD (MERTON MINING & MILLING)

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

SUMMARY 1962: SE1/4 sec. 10, T30S, R40E, MDM, southwest end of Stringer district – 2 1/2 miles south-southwest of Randsburg. Three inclined shafts, one vertical shaft, and approximately 2,000 feet of drifts and crosswords at levels spaced at 50-100 feet intervals.  Maximum depth is 450 feet on approximately 30 degrees incline.  Several stopes were developed. Total output reported to be … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines | Comments Off

BEAUTICIANS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Grace Nevins — According to the 1900 Census Grace was a beautician in Randsburg. Florence Mcleon — Miss Mcleon conducted a hairdressing parlor in her residence in 1914.  She offered all the latest in styles and methods and charged 50 Cents.


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BLACKSMITHS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

George P. Brady — — George started in the blacksmith business in Garlock in 1896 and later was in business in Randsburg.  The earliest entry for George Brady that has been found in the account ledger of the Rand Mine Co. on page 13 shows that he was paid $11.20 for blacksmithing services.  In 1904 for a short period of time … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BOARDING, ROOMING, AND LODGING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Boarding houses provided meals to the people who resided in them. Rooming and lodging Houses did not provide meals.  Some of the boarding and lodging houses changed status depending on whom was running them.  Whether a business was called a boarding house, lodging house, rooming house, or a hotel seemed to be more or a whim of the proprietor than … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BOWLING ALLEY

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

M. H. Bowman — In February of 1904 Mr. Bowman opened a 50-foot bowling alley in the basement of Blake Aubrey’s saloon on Broadway in Randsburg.  It was reported that the alley was well patronized and the Mr. Bowman intended to set aside on night a week for “Ladies Night” so that the ladies could also enjoy the sport


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

THE BREWERIES, BOTTLING AND SODA WORKS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

G. McK Bevan — Randsburg Soda Works Agent for Maier Zobelein Brewery Local lore says that there were two breweries in town.  Actually these businesses were bottling works which were agents for the breweries.  The first of these was George McK Bevan who was located on Staley Ave. from 1896 to 1900. He was the agent for Maier Zobelein Brewery … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

BUTCHERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

George Alexander Baker– George is listed as a baker in the 1896 Great Register of Voters, in 1900 the lure of the Alaskan gold fields called him and he moved to Nome Alaska. 1 James J. Conway — James was shown as a butcher in the 1896 and 1898 Great Register of Voters.  However, in the Randsburg Miner in December … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

Confectioneries ( Candy Makers ) & Ice Cream Parlors

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Thomas Mack — Listed in the 1898 business directory as being in the fruit and confection business in Randsburg. Edith Seebold & Carroll King — In May of 1900 an advertisement for an ice cream parlor appeared in the Randsburg Miner. Mrs. Edith Seebold and Carroll King were selling ice cream, fresh candy, nuts and fruits.  They were located opposite the Post … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

DAIRYMEN

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Lewis Clary Hall — The 1900 Great Register of Voters shows Lewis Hall as a dairyman.  It is not known whether or not he maintained his own herd of cows locally or if the milk was shipped in from Barstow on the train.  In 1904 however, it is documented that a brindle calf was born in the “cowbarn” which caused saloon … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

DANCE HALLS AND OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS OF ILL REPUTE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Roach & Van — Elite Theater In early November of 1896 James Roach of Redondo Beach purchased a lot in Randsburg for a saloon and restaurant, for which he reportedly already had the furnishings.  On the 24th of the month a troop of variety people arrived without their tent, it is thought that this may have been Mr. Van and company.  … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

DRUGGISTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Hempstead’s Drug Store — Hempstead’s Drug Store was located on Broadway Ave., (Burma Road).  It was burnt down in the January 1898 fire in Randsburg and there is no record of it being rebuilt after the fire. 1 J. M. Garrison — Mr. J. M.  Garrison is listed in an 1898 business directory as being in the drugstore business in … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. Q. Hutton — Bank of Randsburg– A bank for Randsburg was a long time coming.  After the aborted attempt of Mr. Fox in Garlock an attempt at forming a bank in Randsburg was reported in Visalia Morning Daily Delta in February of 1897. The Delta reported that an article in the San Francisco Examiner stated that a Mr. F. M. Myers … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

FREIGHT AGENTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Emerson Strong — Randsburg Lumber Co. Mr. Strong was listed in the Randsburg Miner in December of 1896 as a freight agent with offices at the Randsburg Lumber Co.  It does not state what freight company he was an agent for. Wells Fargo & Co. Express– Although Wells Fargo & Co. talked of establishing an office in Randsburg as early … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Transportation | Comments Off

FREIGHTERS, TEAMSTERS, LIVERYMEN & STAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mr. Sumner – The Bakersfield Daily Californian reported in April of 1896 that Mr. Sumner, formerly of Tulare, would be running a stage, every other day, direct between Mojave and Randsburg. A report of a drunken stage driver in the Visalia Morning Daily Delta cannot be directly attributed to this stage line. However, it seems that the Visalia contingency in Randsburg were … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Transportation | Comments Off

FURNITURE MANUFACTURERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mitchel & Goodhart In the 1898 Business Directory Mitchel & Goodhart were listed as being manufacturers of furniture, etc.   The Etc.  during this period of our history usually included casket making.  This was a profession that the Rand Mining District was sorely lacking.  In fact John Mahoney in a letter to his sweetheart Miss Pearl Robinson in January of 1907 … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Hill Brothers– In 1915 the Hill Brothers, of Johannesburg, excavated for a 40 x 50 foot garage across from the Houser Hotel. They stayed in business at this location until sometime in 1917 when they sold out to R.O. Rinaldi.  This is just to the left of the old barbershop complex on Butte Avenue R. O. Rinaldi- Rinaldi’s Garage In November … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

HOTELS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Henderson & Roach– St. Elmo Hotel (Crawford House) John Crawford came to Randsburg during the summer of 1896. He was a Kern County Deputy Sheriff and came with Cy Droilluard and was a partner in the St. Elmo Mine located near present day Atolia.  John built a saloon and hotel in Randsburg but could not manage both so he sold out the … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

LUMBER YARDS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Cruse Bros. Archie Cruse of Bishop, who was the father of Mrs. J. H. Underhill of Mojave, and his brother George, started a feed and lumberyard in Randsburg in October of 1896.  On October 31 of 1896 the account books of the Rand Mine show that the Cruse Bros. were paid $15.34 for lumber.  Prior to this time the mine had been … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Charles A. Koehn– Koehn’s Store In January of 1896 the Bakersfield Daily Californian, reported the following: “There have been about 150 locations made in the district, and at a meeting to elect a recorder, there were thirty five miners present.  The district is called the Rand District.  There are five wooden buildings including stables, corral, saloon and about thirty tents.  … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

NEWSPAPERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

George W. Glover — Randsburg Miner George Glover who had came from South Pasadena started the first newspaper in Randsburg, the Randsburg Miner.  The first edition was published on the 12th of December 1896.  Mr. Glover ran the paper until 1898 when he sold out to Frank P. McDivitt.  Mr. Glover returned to Pasadena and later relocated to Oceanside, Cal. … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

POOL HALLS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Louis Wagner — Broadway Hall The Broadway Hall is believed to have been Louis Wagner’s original place of business in Randsburg.  In July of 1897 Louis was issued a saloon license and opened the first billiard parlor in Randsburg.  The January 1898 fire was stopped at Wagner’s Saloon, it is not clear if this was the last building burnt or … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

PSYCHICS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Leontine Miller In 1913 Randsburg had the distinction of having a psychic, medium and palmist in residence.  Maintaining an office across the street from the Houser Hotel, she offered advice on business deals, mining laws and litigation, location of ore bodies and would even diagnose your physical ailments.  Cures for rheumatism and nervous troubles were offered.  


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mrs. Alfred — In December of 1896 Mrs. Minnie Alfred operated a restaurant in Randsburg; in January of 1897 she built another building adjoining her restaurant which was 24 x 40 with sleeping rooms in the back.  According the Randsburg Miner the restaurant was located on Butte Ave.  Minnie was still listed as being in business in the 1898-business directory. … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SALOONS & BARS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Starkey & Richards The first saloon in Randsburg appears to have been the Starkey & Richards Saloon.  Ed Starkey was a saloonkeeper from Mojave and Charles Richards was a popular young man from Los Angeles County.  They opened the saloon sometime in 1895 and ran it until their deaths.  Ed Starkey died of natural causes in December of 1896 at … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SHOEMAKERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Rufus W. Osbourne Except for a brief absence of nine months during 1905, Mr. Osbourne was in business in Randsburg from 1900 to 1910.  During his nine-month absence he had been to Coos Bay Oregon and back to Goldfield, but decided that there was no better place than Randsburg.  Mr. Osbourne was a native of Massachusetts, and was 68 years of … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

SKATING RINKS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Mrs. Everett Randsburg’s first skating rink was opened in December of 1896.  It was a building 40′ by 60′ in size.  On Christmas of that year the festivities were kicked off with a Ball at the skating rink.  There were forty couples present with attendants from Garlock as well as Randsburg. It is not known for sure that Mrs. Everett … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

TAXIDERMIST

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Wm. Howley An advertisement in the May 15, 1915 Randsburg Miner, showed that Wm. Howley was conducting a taxidermist business in the building formerly occupied by Pete’s Restaurant.  Randsburg seems like an unlikely place for a taxidermist, however the below photo shows that occasionally there was some available business.


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants | Comments Off

UTILITIES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

UTILITIES Squaw Spring Water Co. The Squaw Springs Water Co. was formed to provide water to Randsburg and Johannesburg.  A receipt in the collection of the Kern County Museum showing a date of 1 January 1899 proves that they were in business in 1898. 1 Add information from McPherson’s                                                             Postal Telegraph Co. The Postal Telegraph Co.  operated in Randsburg prior … More >


Posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Township | Comments Off