BARBERS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

FLOWER’S BARBER SHOP On 7 June 1922 an advertisement was found for Flower’s Barber Shop in the Rand District News.


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

BOARDING, ROOMING, AND LODGING HOUSES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CHILDS & DANCEY — OSDICK BOARDING HOUSE On 7 June 1922, in the Rand District News, an advertisement for the Osdick Boarding House appeared.  It was located on Hampton Avenue, which is the road that runs directly up to the Kelly Mine from Highway 295 (Nosser Ave.). appeared in the Rand District News. They offered a first class short order … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

GARAGES

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

P. J. OSDICK — OSDICK GARAGE In the Rand District News , on 7 June 1922 , an advertisement appeared in the Rand District News for the Osdick Garage. Pete Osdick havingbeen on the ground floor of this strike evidently made a bit of money and opened a garage.  When the town of Osdick burnt down in 1922 all of … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

ICE CREAM PARLORS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

Hasking & Logan– Osdick Ice Cream Parlor Advertised in the June 7, 1922 edition of the Rand District News, the ice cream parlor was located on Hampton Ave. in Osdick.


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

MERCHANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

J. J. Apple — APPLE’S MARKET When Appel’s Market opened sometime in 1923 or 1924 it featured vegetables, fruits, eggs, butter, cheese, milk, bakery goods, poultry and fish.  After Prohibition was appealed the market also sold whiskey, drugs and notions.  The Appel Market was still doing business in 1950’s. F. B. ADAMS — OSDICK CASH STORE From an advertisement in … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

RESTAURANTS

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

PALACE CAFE The Barstow Printer reported in January of 1920 that Mrs. Jennie White; the hostess of the Palace Cafe married Edwin Halloway and old time resident of Randsburg LEROY & COSTLEY — MOCHA RESTAURANT An advertisement for the Mocha Restaurant was found in the June 7, 1922 edition of the Rand District News. On April 14 1923 a fire … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off

SPEAKEASYS, POOLHALLS, AND OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS OF ILL REPUTE

Survey Number:      Owner:      Date of Discovery:

CASEY’S PLACE — On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News. CRUSE & BAKER — MINER’S POOL HALL On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News. JOHN LEONARD — JACK’S PLACE On 7 June 1922 the following advertisement appeared in the Rand District News HENRY NATHANIEL “TEX’ SMITH — MONKEY … More >


Posted in Red Mountain, Red Mountain Merchants | Comments Off