GARLOCK (PIONEER ) MILL

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

January 27, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK, the Tehachapi capitalist, is erecting a ten stamp mill at Cow Wells  (eight miles from the Rand camp), with a capacity of twenty tons per day.”  –  The Bakersfield Californian

February 11, 1896: “EUGENE GARLOCK is rapidly pushing his eight-stamp mill to completion at Cow Wells and will be ready to haul and crush ore by the 20th of this month.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

February 18, 1896: “THE NEW EIGHT STAMP MILL of Eugene T. Garlock, at Eugeneville, near Goler, under the supervisor of Mr. Lovejoy, the contractor, is rapidly being built.  The building proper is 50 x 75, with other additions adjoining.  The concentrator and sulphuret rooms are completed and ready to receive their machinery.  The large battery blocks are all framed and will be placed in the battery pit in a day or two.  The ore bins are about completed and will hold 600 tons.  The stamps weigh 900 pounds each, which is a sufficient weight to do good work, in crushing the rock of that district.  Mr. Garlock informed your correspondent that he expected to have the mill completed by the first of March.  There is not the slightest doubt but what twenty-five more stamps will be added next year, as the Randsburg company alone have enough ore in sight to keep a 100 stamp mill running steadily for the next fifty years.  This is a fact.  With the completion of the mill, Eugeneville will become one of the best mining camps in the State.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

March 13, 1896: “RANDSBURG REVALATIONS:  The great snow storm which began a week ago last Monday somewhat retarded operations, however.  Mr. Garlock found on firing up the engine last week that the timbers were too light to hold it in place, and went over to Tehachapi to haul out heavier ones.  This will necessitate perhaps a fortnight delay, and Messrs. Burcham, Mooer and Singleton have gone to pounding up rich rock in the 180-pound mortar furnished by the “Utica” mine at Angels.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

March 18, 1896: “THE BUTTE MINING COMPANY of Randsburg has a force of 16 men at work and is making great headway toward taking out ore, which is being milled at present at Cow Wells at the Garlock mill.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

April 29, 1896:  “Kuffel, Swarthout & Co,  completed a very satisfactory run at the Garlock’s mill last Sunday.” — The Californian

June 18, 1896:  “THE BUTTE MINING COMPANY of Randsburg has a force of 16 men at work and is making great headway toward taking out ore, which is being milled at present at Cow Wells at the Garlock mill.” – The Californian

June 25, 1896: The Butte mine is down sixty feet, has two feet of ledge and is showing up well. The returns on two runs of ore from this mine at the Garlock mill at Cow Wells.” – The Record Union

June 25, 1896: THE BUTTE MINE is down sixty feet, has two feet of ledge and is showing up well The returns on two runs of ore from this mine at the Garlock mill at Cow Wells.” – The Record Union

July 1, 1896: “RANDSBURG MINING DISTRICT. A clean-up yesterday at the Garlock mill at Cow Wells netted nine and one-half pounds of gold from fourteen tons of ore from the Kenyon mine.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

September 15, 1896: “GARLOCK’S CUSTOM MILL:  It is at Caldwell, 30 miles North of Mojave, at 2420’ altitude, and has 8 stamps of 750 lbs. weight, using No. 9 slot screens.  Only 4 stamps are running about two hours per day, for want of water. Water is obtained from a bored well 200’ deep.  A shaft is being sunk to provide water enough to run the full mill night and day.  Wood is hauled 60 miles from Tehachapi.  U. S. Garlock, of Mojave, owner.”  -  California State Mining Bureau, Thirteenth Report of the State Mineralogist for the two years ending September 15, 1896. (Author’s note:  Caldwell is probably a misunderstanding of the name Cow Wells)

September 05, 1897: “The Garlock eight-stamp mill, E. F. Garlock owner, J. R. Hughes superintendent, is the pioneer and holds its own well with the other.  The capacity is 15 tons every 24 hours. The engine is 25 horsepower, and. the mill is well appointed in every respect. It is now working the Rand Mining company’s Randsburg ores principally.” – The Herald

May 20, 1898: “THE RAND MOUNTAIN:  The ore from the Rand, which is milled at Garlock by the Henry, Garlock, and Visalia mills, averages considerably over $30 to the ton. Plans are now being drawn for a big mill to be part of the Yellow Aster plant.  Thirty stamps will be the first capacity of the mill, and steam power will be used.   It will be arranged to add more stamps up to 100 is that number can be used.  The ore is said to be getting richer with depth.”  -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

March 1899:  “PIONEER MILL….built and owned by E. T. Garlock.  It was built in the early part of 1895, and is an eight-stamp mill and has a capacity of 18 or 20 tons per twenty four hours.  It was by this mill that the that the first ore was milled from the great Yellow Aster mines.  In fact, when it was first built it was kept running might and day, it being the only mill in the district; but even since others have been constructed it has had its share of the trade, and Mr. Garlock gets a grate deal of ore from the Argus and Slate ranges and west of Randsburg.  He is a very enterprising man and generally gives perfect satisfaction to his patrons, and therefore has a large part of the Garlock patronage.

Mr.  Garlock arrived in the Goler district in the early part of 1895 and soon after laid out the town which was named after himself.  In addition to owning and operating the mill he is extensively interested in town property and mines in the several districts near the town.  Socially he is very pleasant, and in business he is always found willing and anxious to accommodate, he therefore has a large circle of friends.  He has great confidence in the mineral resourses of th Rand and thinks its productions are sure to surprise the world.”  – McPherson

January 20, 1901: “THE GARLOCK MILL at Garlock has, according to the Randsburg Miner, been leased by the Exploration Company, which will work it with ores from its mine.” – San Francisco Call

August 30, 1906: “THE GARLOCK QUARTZ MILL, which had been running on tailings for some time, closed down a few days ago.–Tomahawk”  -  Randsburg Miner

December 26, 1907: “ALTHOUGH WE HAVE NO CERTAIN KNOWLEDGE of the fact, we copy from the Californian of Bakersfield the notice of Mr. Garlock’s death and burial at Santa Anna on the 24th inst. “Mr. Garlock has resided in Kern County for the past twenty years and was prominent a farmer at Tehachapi and as a miner on the desert.

“The fact is that he was taken seriously ill with sore eyes at Garlock some six weeks ago and when the Masonic Club at this place discovered his condition the editor of the Miner drove down to Garlock with a team furnished by Mr. Burcham and brought him here to the Yellow Aster Hospital where he was cared for and treated by Dr. Sabichi for five weeks, the club furnishing a night nurse.  On the 12th of this month his troubles increased by a stroke of paralysis and he became unconscious.  On Friday evening the 12th he was sent to his brothers in Los Angeles, Walter Mattingly, a young man from here being sent with him.   And now it appears that he is dead and buried.  It is better so, being blind and helpless, the once strong and active man was source of sympathy to all who knew him.  We feel glad that we were able to help him even a little.” -  Randsburg Miner

This entry was posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top