HOTELS AND BOARDING HOUSES

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

MRS ARCHIE (MARY) MARTIN –

Mrs. Martin’s Hotel/Boarding House was the site of the 1896 Fourth of July celebration in Garlock.  Over one hundred people attended it from Randsburg, Goler, and Koehn Springs in addition to those from Garlock.  Prior to running a boarding house Mrs. Martin had a restaurant in Garlock.   Mrs. Martin was raised in San Bernardino.  Her hotel was located on Post Office Avenue and was still listed in the business directory for 1898.

ANDREW JACKSON DOTY

A native of Illinois, Mr. Doty came to Garlock in 1896 and went into the Hotel/Boarding House business.  In October of that year it was reported that he had purchased Frank Crichton’s Saloon and had lumber on the ground to expand his Boarding House.  The Doty family moved on to Randsburg and in 1900 A. J. Doty was the Justice of Peace in that town in addition to being listed as a Hotel keeper.

By 1905 they moved to Porterville where Mrs. Doty passed away in January of that year.  Two daughters in Johannesburg, Mrs. J. T. Curry and Mrs. L. H. Phillips survived her.

ZACHARY TAYLOR LILLARD

Sometime prior to 1898 Mr. Lillard opened a hotel on Main Street in Garlock. It is not known how long he remained in Garlock, but by 1904 he had relocated to Randsburg and was managing the Houser Hotel

FRED BODEN—ST. ELMO

Listed in the September 5, 1897 edition of the Los Angeles Herald as the proprietor of the St. Elmo Hotel in Garlock.

Mrs. Mary James

Listed in the September 5, 1897 edition of the Los Angeles Herald as the proprietor of a boarding house in Garlock.

Mrs. Alice Moore

Listed in the September 5, 1897 edition of the Los Angeles Herald as the proprietor of a boarding house in Garlock.

This entry was posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top