SALOON KEEPERS

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

FRANK CRITCHETT

While undoubtedly Charley Koehn would never let a man go dry for want of something with a little more kick than Garlock well water, Frank Critchett was the first man to get a legitimate license to conduct a saloon in Garlock on 1 April, 1896. Frank hailed from Mojave where he was later in the Saloon business.  Frank only lasted in business until September of 1896.  It was reported, at that time, in the Bakersfield Daily Californian, that “Frank Critchett has shaken the dust of Garlock from his hoofs and the last seen of him was on the front seat of the new stage coach in a suit of store clothes — The envy of all beholders. Says “” He going home to stray no more.”” But we expect to find him over in the vicinity of Randsburg, Goler, or St. Elmo inside of a week.”

KAHN & O’BRIAN

The Kern County Board of Supervisors issued a license to conduct a saloon in Garlock to Kahn & O’Brian on 1 April 1896.

SUMMERS & CLOW

In June of 1896 the Kern County Board of Supervisors approved a license for Summers & Clow to engage in the saloon business in Garlock.

LOSASSO & HENRY — CLUB SALOON

William (Billy) A. Losasso and Will Abrahms Henry opened the Club Saloon in Garlock in August of 1896.  Billy Losasso was issued the license on the 1st of July 1896 and by August they had erected a 24 x 36-foot building and opened for business.  Mr. Henry did not last long and sold out his interest to Billy by the end of August of that year.  A lunch counter was added to the business in October of 1896, which served such delicacies as oysters and clams.  Billy Losasso was still in business in Garlock in January of 1898 when he was reported to have been playing the harp at a masquerade ball that was held to benefit the school.

DAVE SCOTT –

Prior to September of 1896 Dave Scott was doing business in Garlock as a saloonkeeper.  In September he sold out to the Mead Bros. and moved to Randsburg.

MEAD BROS.

In September of 1896 the Mead Bros. bought out Dave Scott’s Saloon and started in business in Garlock.

JEROME W. CHENEY

Mr. Cheney was first issued a license to conduct a saloon in Garlock, where he was iin partnership with J. E. Mcginn in January of 1897.  In 1898 he was issued a license for Randsburg, but was back in business in Garlock in June of 1899.

BURTON BROS.

The Burton Bros.  were issued a license to engage in the saloon business in Garlock on 6 March 1897.

L. H. TWEDE –

On 8 March 1897 the Kern County Board of Supervisors approved a license for L. H. Twede to engage in the saloon business in Garlock.

FRANK JONES –

Frank Jones, who had since October of 1896, operated a roadhouse 18 miles from Mojave (around present day Cinco, Ca.) on the Randsburg Road, was issued a license to operate a saloon in Garlock on the 8th of March 1897.

L. BARSON –

Register of Licenses for Kern County (collection of Kern County Museum) shows liquor license issued to L. Barson of Garlock on 2 February 1898.

JOHN MILLER

The Bakersfield Daily Californian reported on 13 January 1898 that a two story concrete building was being built on the corner of Main and Grove St. in Garlock by a Mr. Miller to be used as a mercantile of some kind.

Roberta Starry in her book Gold Gamble states “As a boy, James Nosser, Jr. would watch his father’s wagon slide down the steep grade just outside of Randsburg enroute to the Garlock Mill.  He was not invited to ride along, and within the family circle the town of Garlock was never mentioned.  His father’s sister Sarah had married John Miller, who in 1896 built a pretentious rock building in Garlock to house a bar, a gambling room, and tiny rooms for the girls.  The exterior of the building looked like a bank, and in a way Miller was a banker.  He bought the miner’s gold in his office at the back of the building and then collected what he had paid out as the miner worked his way past the doors of the girls rooms, past the gambling tables, and passed the bar before reaching the outside with what little was left of his gold.”

Whether the newspaper was wrong about the building material or Roberta was wrong about the year it was built, little doubt is left that the old adobe and rock building that sets on the present day highway is the building being described in both these writings.

JAMES E. McGINN

Although Mr. McGinn spent most of his life as a miner, he was in the saloon business at least twice in the local area.  The first time was in Garlock, as a partner of J. W.  Cheney,  where he had been residing since sometime in 1897 and had been active on the Law, Order and Sanitary Committee.  In March of 1899 he was issued a license to conduct a saloon in Garlock.  Later he was in the Saloon Business in Randsburg. (See Randsburg — Saloons)

GEO. MEAD– MILL ST. SALOON

George Mead had a saloon on Mill St. according to the Los Angeles Herald September of 1897 and  was still listed in the saloon business in Garlock in 1898.   Although his was the only listing in the California Gazetteer & Business Directory for that year it is believed that Cheney & McGinn were also conducting a saloon in addition to their restaurant. John Miller also opened in 1898.

This entry was posted in Garlock, Garlock Merchants. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top