SMITH & MAXON MILL

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

April 30, 1897:  “SOME TIME AGO the Ashford boys and Bull leased the Hector mine of J. F. Kelly, Al Lester and Charles and Frank Adams.  The lease permitted them to sink the shaft fifty feet deeper and drift twenty-five feet each way, and if they encountered good ore on either side, gave them the additional privilege of going 100 feet and up raising at the end to the surface for the purpose of creating an air-shaft.  A second lease gave them substantially the same privilege at another fifty-foot level deeper.  The young men have pushed the work vigorously, and while the ore vein is not very thick, it is very good, and the prospects are that will do very well, both in developing the property for the owners and in pay for the work done.  A few days ago they had four and one-half tons milled at Smith’s mill at Garlock and this morning got a return of forty ounces of bullion worth at least $16 per ounce, or $640 for the four and one-half tons.  This mine is located on the divide between Randsburg and Johannesburg.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

July 11, 1897:  “WHEN MOOERS, on his first trip here in 1895, arrived back in Mojave on his return to Fresno, he made no secret of what he had discovered, but talked about it openly to everyone he knew or met.  While but few reposed much confidence in what he said, there were a couple of boys at Colton named Will and Johnnie Kinyon who heard about it and thought there might be something in Moore’s statements.  They decided to come over and have a look at it anyway.  Loading up a couple of burros with grub and tools, they reached here in the early part of September, 1895, and after some nosing around located the mine which bears their name.  Their father was and still it a butcher in Colton, and it was not very long after the departure of his two sons that he received word from them that they had struck a good thing and which was further indorsed by some of the gold they had horned out from the surface rock.  The mine is jointly owned by the father and the two tons.  On receipt of the news from the boys, the old man came over to have a look at the mine, and it is now well known that it was not an uncommon occurrence for them to horn an average of $12 worth of gold apiece per day, although at that time they kept the facts pretty quiet.  The Kinyon has been from the start and is today one of the best paying mines on the Rand, nor was any money needed at any time, even at its start, for its development other than it yielded.  The first shipment of ore to a mill was made on September 20, 1895 and consisted of 100 sacks, which gave returns of nearly $3000.  Than fact settled right there and then the value of the mine for what that first shipment showed it had continued to show ever since.  There is a story told about those first hundred sacks which goes to show that the showing might have been even much better than it was had they been up to time for delivery.  Their agreement was to deliver 100 sacks of ore at the mill on a certain day.  Word came from the mill to send along the ore as per agreement, but they only had sixty sacks ready.  Without much deliberation they sacked up forty sacks of low grade ore from the dump, so as to make up the required  100 sacks.  If the sixty sacks had been crushed separately the percentage of yield would have been greatly increased.  The mine is under the superintendence of Jim Fraser, who likes to work better than he does to talk.  The tally for last month (June) was shown to me at the mine, and the ore milled yielded an average of $508.90 to the ton.  For the present month up to the 6th inclusive, 214 sacks of ore has been sent to the mill, but the value was not given.  Most of the ore from this mine is crushed at Smith’s mill in Garlock, and the balance at the sampling works at Johannesburg.  The main shaft is down about one hundred and forth feet, and it is generally admitted that the ore which is now being taken out at that level is probably the richest ever taken from a mine in Southern California.  It is useless to talk of what assays of small pieces of the rock show, for while they might show way up into the thousands of dollars per ton, they are never are indication of the average.  That the Kinyon has remarkably rich ore is known and admitted, and I have it on good authority, but at the same time from one who has no interest immediate or remote in the property, that the Kinyons were offered but refused $100,000 in hard cash for the mine.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

September 05, 1897:  “The Maxon five-stamp mill is owned by Dr. Maxon of Oakland, Cal. C. I. Belcher is the superintendent. The capacity is 12 tons daily; the motive power a 25 horsepower gasoline engine. It is a completely equipped and conveniently arranged plant, has a concentrator in connection, and is now working the Rand Company’s ore. ” – The Herald

October 25, 1897:  “THE G. B. IS  NOW DOWN 125 FEET, and is taking out ten tons of $40 rock per day.  The vein runs from two to four feet, and with three shifts working in the shaft and two shifts stoping, things are lively at the camp.  The ore is being milled at the dry concentrator and at Smith & Maxon’s mill at Garlock.” The Bakersfield Californian

October 30, 1897:  “THE G. B. MINE is fast pushing its way to the front rank of paying mines in the Rand district. This claim is opened up by a 100-foot shaft, with drifts, and at present fourteen men are employed. One hundred tons of ore have just been sent to the Smith stamp mill at Garlock, and the dry concentrator of this place (Johannesburg) is at work on another lot.” – The Herald

June 1, 1898:  “LAST SUNDAY, May 22nd, the Rand people shut off the supply of ore to the Henry Mill and also the Hughes Mill, throwing about forty men out of employment. It is rumored that the ore is hereafter to be milled at Barstow.

 The Visalia Mill is still running on Rand ore, but the supply may stop at any time.

 A 30-horse power boiler and engine has been placed in the Moxon Mill, and the 25-horsepower engine has been removed.”  — Mining And Metallurgical Journal

This entry was posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top