VISALIA MILL ( RAND MILL )

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

September 05, 1897:  “The Visalia Mining and Milling Company has important mining interests in the Radamacher district, which ore  now being worked at the mill. D. N. Coflin is the superintendent. It has ten stamps, capacity 20 tons daily; has a concentrator in connection and is complete in all its appointments. It is now working Rand, Harney-Webb (Hard Cash) and Radamacher ores. ” – The Herald

Visalia Mining and Milling Co. Letterhead 1898. An unfortunate example of improper storage. This item was put on display in the museum where it was exposed to lighting that caused the ink to fade. Collection of The Rand Desert Museum

September 27, 1897: “IT IS  REPORTED THAT all the stamp mills at Garlock were started up September 21st, and that the managers of the Rand Mines company purchased the Visalia Milling company’s mill and now to run night and day, milling their own ore.” – The Herald

October 04, 1897: “Superintendent Coplin of the Visalia Company is sinking a new fourteen-inch well at the Rand mill.” – The Herald

December 6 1897: “THE RAND COMPANY are now employing sixty-five men and paying off every ten days so that the money goes at once into circulation.  They have leased the Visalia Mill at Garlock and are running it day and night.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times.

December 06, 1897: “THE 10 STAMP MILL located at Garlock, belonging to the Rand group of mines, is again running full capacity day and night.” – The Herald

January 20, 1897: “THE VISALIA MINING & MILLING COMPANY’S mill at Garlock was put to operation today (1-15-97), and on February 1st mills aggregating fifty five stamps will be running and by summer we will have a fully equipped camp.” -  The Bakersfield Californian

October 18,  1897:  “GARLOCK  — Professor Marchand. late of Los Angeles, who has charge of the Rand mill at this place, has a veritable assay and chemist shop fitted up at the Rand office, which is a valuable adjunct to the mill.” The Herald

November 4, 1897: “THE RAND MINES are seven in number, Rand, Olympus, Trilby, Yellow Aster, Nancy Hanks, California, and Big Horse.  The principal ones so far developed are the Rand, Olympus, Trilby, and Yellow Aster.  Nearly all the work has been done on these four and a force of men is now working on each.  The men who own these mines have not worked together always harmoniously, but their differences have not stopped work, and they now have fifty-one men on the pay roll.  It is understood that a settlement of their difficulties was about accomplished last week, which included the purchase of Mr. Reddy’s interest by the other partners, but at the last minute some unforeseen difficulties arose which for a time at least will delay the settlement.

“The Rand group is doubtless the richest deposit of mineral in this camp and also the most extensive.  A great deal of money has been expended in developing the mines, making roads, building chutes, laying car tracks, and in the purchase of cars, buckets, and mining machinery.  All this and much more besides has been taken from the mines.  At the present they are shipping about twenty four tones per day to Garlock, and keep both the Visalia, and Henry mills running constantly.  If everything else in the district was to fall, there is plenty of material in the Rand Group and Rand Hill to makes good town of Randsburg.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

December 6,1897: “THE RAND COMPANY are now employing sixty-five men and paying off every ten days so that the money goes at once into circulation.  They have leased the Visalia Mill at Garlock and are running it day and night.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

December 06, 1897: “THE 10 STAMP MILL located at Garlock, belonging to the Rand group of mines, is again running full capacity day and night.” – The Herald

March 15, 1898: “A WELL IS BEING PUT DOWN at the Visalia mill in Garlock.”  --  Mining And Metallurgical Journal

May 20, 1898: “THE RAND MOUNTAIN: The ore from the Rand, which is milled at Garlock by the Henry, Garlock, and Visalia mills, averages considerably over $30 to the ton. Plans are now being drawn for a big mill to be part of the Yellow Aster plant.  Thirty stamps will be the first capacity of the mill, and steam power will be used.   It will be arranged to add more stamps up to 100 is that number can be used.  The ore is said to be getting richer with depth.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

June 1, 1898: “LAST SUNDAY, May 22nd, the Rand people shut off the supply of ore to the Henry Mill and also the Hughes Mill, throwing about forty men out of employment. It is rumored that the ore is hereafter to be milled at Barstow.

The Visalia Mill is still running on Rand ore, but the supply may stop at any time.

A 30-horse power boiler and engine has been placed in the Moxon Mill, and the 25-horsepower engine has been removed.”  — Mining And Metallurgical Journal

June 14, 1898: ONLY FIVE STAMPS are running on the Visalia mill in Garlock on account of the shortness of water supply, thus only twelve tons of Rand ore is milled dally there now.” – The Herald

June 26, 1898: “THE (Y.A.M.M.) COMPANY.S  scales have been removed from Garlock and are being put in on Rand Mountain.” – San Francisco Call

June 27, 1898: “THE YELLOW ASTER MINING COMPANY has closed the Visalia mill at Garlock and entirely suspended operations there.  For the present all the ore is going to the new mill at Barstow.  What they are milling now is averaging much higher than ever before, and they are getting some exceptionally rich ore from Trilby No. 2.  Fine specimens of this ore now on view at General Manager Singleton’s office are literally plastered all over with free gold, and in one day recently a few men took out above $3000. They have put in a new twenty-ton wagon scale, and everything is weighed as it is shipped, and weighed again when it reaches Barstow.  A watchman accompanies each car of ore from the time it leaves here until it is placed in charge of Mr. Cooper at Barstow.  The last milling at Garlock went $128 per ton, but the rock now being milled goes about $85 per ton.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

July 02, 1898: “MINES AND MINERS -RANDSBURG, June 21—The Yellow Aster Company has shut down the Visalia mill at Garlock, after a clean-up of sixty-five tons of ore, which ran over $100 to the ton. During the past ten days the company has had seventy tons, of ore run at the Johannesburg mill, which averaged $15 per ton. The company is now shipping dally to the Barstow mill approximately 2 carloads of ore, or about fifty tons, enough to keep twenty-five or thirty stamps running all the time. The ore is shipped loose in the car, and is of such value that it is necessary to send a watchman with it from Johannesburg to turn it over to the mill authorities.” – The Herald

This entry was posted in Garlock, Garlock Mills. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top