PINMORE – CROESUS MINE

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery: 1896

Crowsus Mining Co. Mill, ca 1900 - Kern County Museum Collection

July 11, 1897: THE PINMORE lying west of the Val Verde was bonded a few days ago for $10,000, but I did not learn to whom.  They have a shaft down about 100 feet in this mine.”  -  Los Angeles Daily Times

October 30, 1897:  “A day and night shift have been put to work on the Pinmore, and large quantities of ore are being taken out. A 1-foot lodge of $12 ore has been encountered in the breast of the tunnel, and the owners, Mr. Bull and the Ashford Bros., have made arrangements with the Henry stamp mill of Garlock whereby its ten stamps will be kept pounding on the Pinmore ore. – The Herald

November 22, 1897: “The mines immediately around Johannesburg are producing 100 tons of ore daily. The Pinmore mine is shipping forty tons of the 100 produced.” – The Herald

November 26, 1897:  “ADJOINING THEM ON THE EAST is the Pinmore mine owned by the Ashford Mining Company, which is working day and night shifts, and operating on a fine body of ore.  Further to the east, 1000 feet from the property and on the same ledge, is the Alameda, a producer, with rich ore and a large quantity of low-grade ore.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

December 06, 1897: “The Pinmore is now taking out twenty-five tons of ore per day and milling it at Garlock, says the Randsburg Miner. The first milling ran something over $8 per ton, and the second over $15, showing that the values in the ore are increasing very rapidly. The Pinmore has an immense body of ore and will soon be classed as one of the leading mines of the district.” – The Herald

December 6, 1897: “THE PINMORE, near Johannesburg, is sending out ore sufficient to keep two mills running and many others doing something.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

December 18, 1897: “WORK ON THE PINMORE which has been carried on extensively for some time has been suspended.  The same is true for the G. B.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

December 19, 1897:  “The writer recently went through the Plnmore mine. In this district and found that the aggregate development work in tunnels, inclines, etc., is over 750 feet. Twenty tons of ore running from $16 to $20 per ton is being taken out daily, which is being shipped daily to the Huntington mill, Garlock, which the owners of the mine, Messrs. Ashford Bros. & Bull, have leased.”—The Herald

December 19, 1897:  “GARLOCK. Dec. 16.—(Regular Correspondence.) The mills are running nearly full time and the outlook for the future was never better. The Huntington mill is running entirely on ore from the Pinmore, Ashford Bros. & Bull’s promising mine In the Johannesburg district.”—The Herald

December 19, 1897:  “A WEEK AGO parties in Johannesburg discovered water indications in the town.  The owners of the Pinmore Mine  are prospecting for water within a half-mile of the mine, and so confident of success is Manager Bull, that he has already purchased a ten-stamp mill, which he hopes to operate at the Pinmore mine with water developed near-by.” -  The Los Angeles Daily Times

January 09, 1898: “The rumor that the Pinmore mine had shut down last week was totally without foundation; the mine is running as usual, and taking out lots of good ore,  which is being milled at Garlock, one mill being kept constantly at work and part of the time two mills are running on Pinmore ore.—Randsburg Miner.” – The Herald

March 30, 1898: “Work was commenced on the Pinmore today, and it is the intention of its managers to take out a large quantity of ore for immediate milling. This can be easily accomplished, as there are thousands of tons of ore in sight.” – The Herald

May 09, 1898: “The stamps at the Johannesburg reduction works are dropping now on Wedge and Burcham No. 1 ore. As soon, as this run is completed they will handle ore from the Pinmore and Golden Sheaf mines.”– The Herald

November 18, 1899:  “PINMORE SOLD ==Mr. J. J. Miller has sold the Pinmore mine near Johannesburg, to Ballarat parties.  The purchase price could not be learned, nor the terms, but enough was discovered to know that it is a sure enough sale, the purchasers having made a liberal cash payment and secured the balance.

The purchasers are R. F. Harrison, W. W. Godsmark, Fred Hisom, M. Sharidan, all of Ballarat, and W. J. Colson of Johannesburg, and they are in possession.  They have bought the Visalia 10-stamp mill at Garlock and will move it up, erect it at the mine and fit it with the latest gold saving apparatus.  They have also contracted for water and will begin taking out ore at once.

The Pinmore is a heavy body of low grade ore and is considered a valuable property.  The Ashford boys and Bull, formerly took out a quantity of ore from the Pinmore and milled it at Garlock.” –Randsburg Miner

May 19, 1900: “THE MILL ON THE PINMORE mine is now running steadily on their own ore.”  -  Randsburg Miner

September 8, 1900: “THE PINMORE MINE and mill are running steadily as usual.  This gives promise of being one of the best mines in the district.” -  Randsburg Miner

December 8, 1900:“H. D. COLSON has been made manager of the Pinmore mine and mill.  Mr. Godsmark having to spend much of his time in the future in the Panamint country.” -  Randsburg Miner

May 4, 1901:  “THE CROESUS COMPANY at Randsburg operating the Pinmore mine, is expecting to put in a cyanide plant of forty to fifty tons’ capacity within sixty days.  They have a dump of tailings to commence work on, roughly estimated at from 7000 to 9000 tons.” –Corona Courier

May 11, 1901: “The Croesus company at Randsburg, operating the Pinmore mine, is expecting to put in a cyanide plant of forty to fifty tons’ capacity within sixty days. They have a dump of tailings to commence work on, roughly estimated at from 7000 to 9000 tons. The recent milling of the Butte mine at the Red Dog mill, Randsburg, resulted in four handsome gold bricks, valued at $10,300, the product of 75 tons of ore — an average of $136 per ton.” – Imperial Press

October 17, 1903: “THE PINMORE MINE and mill at Johannesburg are in operation, under lease to W. F. Ernst & Nelson, on a royalty basis.” –  Mining and Scientific Press

November 7, 1903: “THE PINMORE 5-STAMP MILL at Johannesburg was destroyed by fire on the 31st.  The fire is thought to have been of incendiary origin.  The property was owned by the Croesus M. Co.  and was leased to W. F. Earnst and A. C. Nelwon who were operating it.” -  Mining and Scientific Press

November 14, 1903: “PINMORE —This mill, at Johannesburg, owned by the Croesus Mining  Co. and leased to Earnestness & Nelson, burned last week.”  -  Engineering and Mining Journal

January 2, 1904:  “THE PINMORE MILL at Johannesburg which was destroyed by fire on Oct. 31, has been rebuilt and is again pounding away on ore from the Pinmore.  W. F. Ernst and S. A. C. Nelson are the lessees.”    -  Randsburg Miner

January 16, 1904:“THE PINMORE MILL has been busy milling the Pinmore ore since the holidays.” -  Randsburg Miner

July 23, 1904:“MESSRS, NELSON AND EARNST, who had a two years’ lease on the Pinmore mill at Johannesburg, allowed it to expire on July 1.  Mr. Nelson will probably go to the Furnace Creek country to investigate the recent strikes reported made in that district.  Mr. Earnst has properties of his own, which he will probably develop or place on the market.  The Pinmore mill is located about a mile northwest of Johannesburg, and is owned by Mr. H. J. Colson, of Santa Monica.  The mill and entire plant was destroyed by fire last October, but was immediately rebuilt by the lessers, and equipped with a battery of ten stamps, built in San Francisco; a 50-horse-power boiler from Baker Iron Works, Los Angeles, and a 35-horse-power Atlas engine and cyanide tank.” -  Randsburg Miner

January 1904: “DEVELOPMENT CONSISTED OF  a 300 foot incline shaft, 300 foot of tunnel and 3000 feet of drifts.  A 10 stamp mill powered by steam was reported to be on site in 1904.  The owner was Croesus M. Co.” –   Aubrey

June 29, 1908: “THE PINMORE MINE, one of the foremost producers in , this district some years ago, is again to resume, J. J. O’Connor and associates having taken a long term lease on the mine and mill.” – The Herald

January 12, 1914:  “JOHANNESBURG, JAN. 12.—Osdick and (M)liller, who are leasing the Pinmore mine report a strike of a large body of ore.  Forty tons have been hauled to the Phoenix mill and 20 tons more are on the dump.  The ore averages about $20 per ton.” –Bakersfield Californian

January 20, 1914:  “BARNEY OSDICK AND HIS PARTNER MILLER, leasers of the Pinmore mine, have found the vein of rich ore about 24o feet from the old shaft.  The values run about $20 to the ton.  Osdick plans to erect a 50 ton cyanide plant.  At present the Pinmore ore is being hauled to the Phoenix mill which is now run by an electric motor.” –Bakersfield Morning Echo

April 6, 1914:  “HENRY MILLER has opened up a body of extra good ore on his Pinmore lease.  He has about 50 tons of ore blocked out and two more men have been engaged to take it out. The ore runs $50 to the ton, with prospects of making a good value.” –Bakersfield Morning Echo

1915:  “PINMORE, prospect, formerly known as Croesus, consists of 40 acres, in Sec. 26, T. 29 S., R.  40 E., M. D. M., in Rand district, about 1 mile south of Johannesburg.  Owned by Los Angeles Company.  Small veins in schist.  Equipment consists of 15 h .p. West Coast gas engine, skip and cars.  The 10-stamp mill destroyed by fire.  Company paid $5,000 in dividends in two years. Idle.” – G. Chester Brown

1964:“LOCATED,SE ¼ sec. 25, T29S, R40E, MDM, Rand district, half a mile north of Johannesburg.  A few thousand ounces of gold recovered  1897-1899, 1902-1903, and 1932-1938.  Developed by 2 incline shafts to 300 feet and 300-foot crosscut adit.  Horizontal workings probably exceed 2,000 feet.” - Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology County Report 1

This entry was posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top