GOLD BAR, (Gold Bar & Right Hand Bower)

Survey number:      Owner: April 1,1897     Date of discovery:

Gold Bar Mine, View SE, Red Mountain Behind, ca 1897. Note the Superintendent studying the obligatory drawing; the assembly instructions? - McPherson

July 11, 1897:  “ON THE GOLD BAR, east of the Alameda they are down about fifty feet on a ledge fifteen feet wide.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

July 25, 1897:  “H. L .HOLLIS AND GEORGE CURTIS have bonded the Gold Bar and Right Hand Bower mines from Thuston and Pardue, the bond to run a year.  These mines are situated just east of the Alameda beyond Johannesburg.  A force of men was put to work this morning and development work will be pushed.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

Gold Bar Mine, Then & Now, 1898-2011 - William J. Warren © 2011

August 2, 1897: “Perdue and Thurston of Johannesburg have given H. L. Hollls, a Chicago mining engineer, and G. H. Curtiss, a bond on the Gold Bar and Right Hand Bower mines located adjoining the Alameda mine In Johannesburg. There is a sixty-foot shaft on the property, which shows up a large body of ore of moderate value. They have put several men at work and will push development work as fast as possible.” – The Herald

August 21, 1897:  “MESSRS CURTISS AND HOLLIS who have bonded the Gold Bar, just south of the Alameda, have struck a good body of ore at a depth of twenty feet, and have put on double shift of men.”  —  Los Angeles Daily Times

September 11, 1897:“THIS PROPERTY is about one quarter of a mile east of Johannesburg, and adjoins the Alameda mine.  It was located April, 1, 1897 by Pardee and Thuston, and on July 15 following was bonded by H. L. Hollis, mining engineer of Chicago, and G. H. Curtis, vice-president of the Johannesburg Milling and Water Company.  Two shafts have been put down on this mine, one eighty feet and the other fifty feet.  In both of them the ore shows improvement as it goes down,  On drift of thirty feet has been run at the forth foot level.  The work that is being done is with the view of developing the mine so that the ore that is being taken out is not being milled, although it would yield a moderate profit to do so.  If results prove satisfactory it is the intention of Messrs. Hollis and Curtis to erect a mill to crush their own ore.  They have plenty of water within easy reach of the mine.  Five men are at present being worked, one shift in each shaft.  In addition to the Golden Bar, Messrs. Hollis and Cuttis, have also bonded the Right Hand Bower and the Gold Standard claims, but up to the present time they have confined their development work primarily to the Golden Bar.”   -  The Bakersfield Californian

November 17, 1897:  “G. M. Rose has secured the Bowers mine in the Rand district from J. E. Faber and William Shaw.” – The Herald

November 17, 1897;  ‘ The new ten-stamp mill at Johannesburg is nearly ready for operating.  The machinery is all in nearly all in place and the building is nearing completion. A batch or ore from the Gold Bar mine, just East of the Alameda, and now under bond by Postmaster Curtiss and others of Johannesburg will be the first run through.

November 23, 1897:  “THE GOLD BAR, owned by George B. Curtis and H. E. Hollls, has one of the prettiest ledges to be seen in the district. This mine is opened up by 120-foot shaft and three drifts. In one of these drifts a four-foot ledge of $25 rock was uncovered. The distance between the foot and hanging wall Is six feet, a scam making a clear line of demarcation between the two feet of waste and the four feet of ore. ” – The Herald

December 06, 1897: “The Gold Bar, owned by George B. Curtis and H. L. Hollis, has one of the prettiest ledges to be seen in the district. This mine is opened up by a 120-foot shaft and three drifts. In one of these shafts a four-foot ledge of $25 rock was uncovered. The distance between the foot and hanging wall is six feet, a seam making a clear line of demarcation between the two feet of waste and the four feet of ore.” – The Herald

December 07, 1897: “THE JOHANNESBURG REDUCTION WORKS expect to start their ten stamp mill today for continuous business.  They have erected a plant which is as good as any on the coast for the size.   It will make its first run on 100-ton lot of ore from the Golden Bar mine.’ - The Bakersfield Californian

December 19, 1897:  “The stamp mill of the Johannesburg Milling and Reduction Company is now running on ore from the Golden Bar mine, and it is doing excellent work. The mill is the most complete one on the desert, and with the showing it has already made, there is no doubt that it has entered upon a steady and successful run.” – The Herald

March 1898:  “To the north of the town of Randsburg one mile, butting up against the town site and near the Main street of the town of Johannesburg, is the Gold Bar Mine, owned by Messrs. John Perdue and L. F. Thurston.  The gold bar joins the famous Alameda mine on the east, and has the same system of veins as the big Val Verde and Ruby group, the letter of which is just now turning out such large quantities of paying ore.

Messrs. Perdue and Thurston are the original locator’s of the Gold Bar, having monumented her claim April 10, 1897.

Shafts to the depth of 40 and 130 feet respectively have been sunk on a vein of very large size, which drifts have been run off, blocking our a large amount of ore.

A cut of the mine is herewith presented, showing the new gasoline hoist in operation on the deepest shaft.  Much of the ore is high grade, but the owners base their hopes on the immense bodies of low-grade ore which they are developing.

Besides the Gold Bar, Mr. Perdue is the owner of other good properties, notably the Alpha, northeast of the town, which is producing some very rich ore.

Messrs. Perdue and Thurston are among the pioneer residents of Johannesburg, are leading citizens and have interests in various enterprises.  They are known to be expert judges of ore, and their long residence in the district has given them an opportunity of becoming thoroughly familiar with that which is known to be carrying gold.  It is a known fact that certain kinds of ore carries gold either from the surface down or is sure to lead to a vein that does, while the same kind of rock in most all other mining districts has always proved of no value whatever.  This particular characteristic of the district has been the cause of many good mines, believing that the ore would not hold out as depth was attained, and was surprised to see such rock either carry gold or lead to a vein…” -  McPherson

December 9, 1899:  “T. D. VAN DEVORT AND M. STEWART have taken a lease on the Gold Bar mine and have twenty tons of ore ready to mill.” –Corona Courier

December 22, 1923:  “SOME GOOD MILLING ore from the Gold Bar is being run through the Oakland Mill, after which a milling will be made for one of the leasers on the Little Butte.”—Bakersfield Californian

January 28, 1924:  “The Gold Bar trio is doing the regular milling, twice a month.”—Bakersfield Californian

February 13, 1924: “RANDSBURG, Feb. 13.—Parties to a deal for the Gold Bar Mine, located a mile north of Randsburg, have left for Los Angeles to make and sign the papers.  During the past year, the property has been opened up.  The development shows a good free milling grade of gold-bearing ore.  A small Oakland mill gave returns sufficient to pay three men better than top wages.  It is understood that the new owners will make extensive developments on the property.  Thirty-five thousand is the price reported, not including the small mill.”—Bakersfield Californian

February 27, 1924: “The Gold Bar, one mile north of Randsburg, is employing 10 men.  As developments continue, they will increase their pay roll.”—Bakersfield Californian

This entry was posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top