BALTIC MINE

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:
". . . From the moment (we bought the Baltic) on, the family was ever on the precarious but stimulating brink of riches or bankruptcy, though in true miner-fashion we totally disregarded the unpleasant possibilities of financial disaster, and kept our eyes on the brighter side of the picture. One more stroke of the pick, one more round of powder, down another foot or two. Who knew?" - Marcia Rittenhouse Wynn

Baltic Stamp Battery, in the Yard of the Rand Desert Museum. Donated by the owners in 1958. The heart of the milling process, five 800-1000 pound 'stamps', or pestles, were raised and dropped ___ times a minute, pulverizing ore to powder before passing over mercury covered copper plates which trapped the gold particles by amalgamation. The ensuing racket from tens of these units running 24-7 became the heartbeat and music of prosperity to the camps. Citizens were awakened in dead of night whenever a mill ceased its rhythmic pounding, 'the silence deafening'. - William J. Warren © 2008

SUMMARY:

GOLD was discovered at the Baltic mine site in January 1896 by William and Wilson Logan.  It was mined by lessees until 1901.  The Baltic Co. operated the mine from 1901 until 1920.  The Rand Mining and Milling Co. acquired the mine in 1921 and operated it until 1923.  The Monarch Rand Mining Co. owned the mine in 1924; Albert Ancker was the owner in 1933.  The mine probably yielded at least $50,000 in gold.  A moderate amount of scheelite, which was discovered shortly before World War 1, also has been produced.  The most productive gold-mining period was from 1896 until 1912; minor production, was obtained during the years, 1920-22, 1933, 1935, 1938, and 1940.  A 10 stamp mill was operated for many years on the Baltic property.  A large part of the mill tailing has been remilled.  Part of the Mill was set up at the Randsburg Museum in 1958. — MINES AND MINERALS OF KERN COUNTY CALIFORNIA, CALIFORNIA DIVISION OF MINES AND GEOLOGY COUNTY REPORT 1, PAGE 95

1990s: The Baltic property was re-opened by the Glamis Gold Corporation who worked out the whole ore body by open pit, heap leaching methods.

CHRONOLOGY:

January, 1896: “GOLD was discovered at the Baltic mine site in January 1896 by William and Wilson Logan.” – CDMG – Kern County Report

March 1899: “CHAS. A. KOEHN — He is also owner and is working the Baltic mine in the Stringer district, which is at present producing some very rich ore.”  – McPherson

BALTIC MINE, STRINGER DISTRICT. Both the Baltic and the Lamont claims were reopened in the 1990s by Glamis Gold, Ltd., who worked out the whole of the ore bodies by open pit, heap leaching methods. A composite of maps from: USGS, 1967, Troxel & Morton, 1962. -- William J. Warren © 2011

October 7, 1899: “THE BALTIC PEOPLE are drifting in ore on the eighty=five foot level, also sinking in ore at another part of the claim, they are down fifty feet in this working.” –Randsburg Miner

1900 (+or-): MARCIA WYNN: “It was through Grandfather’s efforts that we acquired our first mining claims. Billy Logan, an old miner, owned the property. It was but little developed at the time, with only a few holes in the ground, and a cabin or two. Billy was doing a little celebrating one night and upon being approached by an alert business man, agreed to sell the promising ground he held in the Stringer District. The price agreed upon was, Logan felt, upon sober reflection the next morning, too low. He was sorry, in fact, that he’d ever agreed to sell the claims at all. He went to Grandfather’s law office and told him the sad circumstances, promising Grandfather that if he could get the claims back he would give him a third interest in the property in lieu of cash fees. Grandfather took the matter up, got back the claims for Logan and launched the family upon mining. Later on the family bought out the remaining interests, Logan having sold his share in the meantime to others. We paid about six thousand dollars, I believe, for one of the thirds, and probably a comparable amount for the remaining slice.” - Desert Bonanza

July 14, 1900: “WYNN BOYS, milling 20 tons at Parker’ — Randsburg Miner

November 17, 1900: “ The Baltic was one of the first properties opened up and work commenced on in the Stringer District.  Considerable ore has been milled, but the property has really only been prospected.  The main shaft is down about 120 feet, and considerable drifting has been done.  The property has been worked steadily for the past three years, and in the neighborhood of $40,000 has been taken out and milled.  The dump has averaged about $5.00 per ton, and while the property is considered a big low-grade proposition, yet they have mined and milled ore that has averaged $100 a ton.  The ore being taken from the mine at present averages about $12.00 per ton.Recently a two-thirds interest in this property was purchased by Messers. Stephen V. Childs, Frank Griffith and Frank S. Hicks, of the Johannesburg Reduction Works.  The other one-third interest is owned by C. H. Wynn & Sons.  They are now running five stamps steadily from the dump.This is all being done for the purpose of testing all the ore being taken from the mine.  The property is situated about two miles from Randsburg.”  — Randsburg Miner

December 15, 1900: “$750 FROM 28 tons of ore from Baltic.”  – Randsburg Miner

November 15, 1902: “BALTIC MINING COMPANY—At this mine, at Randsburg, C. H. Wynne superintendent, the new 10 stamp mill is running.”  — Engineering and Mining Journal

1902(?): MARCIA WYNN: “The year I was born the family built a sturdy, high-towering, ten-stamp mill, which cost in the neighborhood of twenty thousand. Later on there was a well-equipped, modern cyanide plant. In the meantime the mill, small blacksmith shop, several small cabins, and the comparatively large, three-room cabin of my grandparents, composed the buildings on the mine.

There was quite a party held by the family upon completion of the mill, and as Father and my uncle wished to have another celebration for the men who’d been building the mill, my uncle drove into town with horse and buggy and bought a couple of kegs of beer and a number of boxes of cigars, for the occasion. Coming out from Randsburg he arrived mst behind the little spur of a hill that hid the road from the mine when the mill man decided to test out the new whistle, having just gotten up steam for the first time. He gave the mill whistle a good loud workout, which so startled the approaching horse that he ran away before my uncle had a chance to recover from his own surprise. There was a little gully and another steep rise in the road, which the horse took with his heels flying, and my uncle hanging on to the seat of the wildly careening wagon for dear life. The kegs of beer went jouncing out, only to christen the roadway, and cigars flew in all directions. It was said the men picked their smokes out of the sage for a week afterwards.

This tall mill of ours played a dominant role in our lives when we children were growing up. Before I was old enough to understand what mining really meant, I thought an old witch lived there, but was intrigued rather than frightened. Later it was to provide us with amusement, offering untold resources for our games when it was shut down for brief periods. The “song of the mill” was a nightly lullaby when the mill was running two and three shifts.

My sister and I, together with three girl cousins, spent much of our earlier childhood there on the Baltic. On one side was the G. B. property and on the other side the Gold Coin. Most of our games and playthings (except numerous dolls) were closely associated with mining. We played store, using the seeds and pods of various bushes, bottled and labeled as tea, coffee, etc., and various colored rocks ground to fine powder in iron mortars to represent flour, spices and other items. When the mill would temporarily shut down we played on the engine room floor with amalgam scraped from the long copper plates. We added more quicksilver and put the amalgam into squares of chamois skin, just the way we’d seen the menfolk do, then we’d twist the chamois until the bright, quivering globules of quicksilver oozed through the pores of the chamois and rolled about on the floor. These elusive globules we tried to recover, amid much laughter and scrambling, only to send them rolling off again in all directions. The hard little balls of amalgam left in the chamois were almost pure gold.

Another pastime (until we were caught at it) was to jump up and down on the tremendously long belt that ran along one wall of our engine room, when the mill was shut down. It ran from a comparatively small pulley wheel at one end of the room to an immense wheel at the other end. Down toward the larger wheel we could jump up and down on the lower loop of the foot-wide belt and spring up in the air as high as we could go and still keep our balance, and our heads would never touch the upper loop of the belt.”  - Desert Bonanza

June 27, 1903: “KERN COUNTY—All the employees of the Yellow Aster M. & M. Co., near Randsburg, numbering over 200 are out on a strike because of a demand by the union for 60 cents a day increase in wages.  The mills have been cleaned up and the mules sent to pasture.  The St. Elmo group of the Johannesburg G. M. Co. has shut down and Manager Ericson has gone to New York.  The Butte Con. M. Co. men are out, as also those on the Baltic mine.  The Santa Ana is paying the 50 cents increase asked.”  — Mining and Scientific Press

August 29, 1903: “THE BALTIC MINE, in Stringer, is developing into one of the good properties of the camp.  At the time of the strike twelve men were employed in the mine and mill (ten stamps).  Some good ore was being taken out.  C. H. Wynn is superintendent.”  — Mining and Scientific Press

BALTIC MINE, Mill & Cabins, Water Tanks Behind Placer Workings, view NW(?), about 1905-10. A dozen men interrupt their work for the photo, a big deal in the era. They work several teams of mules and/or horses, dragging 'Fresno' scrapers, excavating in hot pursuit of Tungsten ore, at a guess. Presence of a Trommel (rotary screen contraption, for breaking up the alluvial gravels), sluce boxes & piping seem to prove a water supply. Above the rim of the open pit, at middle left, appears to be a Clean Up Area with two or three guys, a barrel, equipment for panning, assaying, concentrating the values caught in the main boxes. (Tungsten was a 'worthless' nuisance which clogged the riffles of the earlier drywashers who worked the same ground for gold, from 1896 on.) Possibly they are re-working the same gravels, once the true price of scheellite was known, water available for economical processing. - Wynn Family Collection

October 3, 1903:  “THE BALTIC MINE in the Stringer District near Randsburg has resumed work.”  — Mining and Scientific Press

January 1904:  REPORTED TO HAVE TWELVE SHAFT ranging from 25 to 225 feet in depth, with a total of 1000 feet in shafts, with 1300 feet of drifts.  It had a 10 stamp mill powered by steam.  The mine is managed by C. H. Wynn.  — Aubrey

July 2, 1904: “WYNN AND SON have opened a new ledge of ore in the Baltic which shows greater increased values as they god deeper on it.”  — Randsburg Miner

July 23, 1904: “THE BALTIC MINING COMPANY has a 10 stamp mill on its own claim, one mile east of Randsburg.  Mr. C. H. Wynn is the superintendent, and with his two sons, one of whom has charge of the mine, the other of the mill, owns the controlling interest in the property.  Some Indianapolis people are interested with these gentlemen, but they will be bought out soon, and a number of improvements will then be made at the plant.  The present equipment consists of ten stamps, a 60 horse-power return tubular boiler and a 40 horse-power engine.  Ten to fifteen men are employed.  There are 4,000 tons of tailing on the dump will be cyanided.  A 40-ton cyanide plant will probably be added in the future. (As published in last week’s Miner, the Baltic property has passed into the hands of Mr. Wynn and his two sons, they having bought out the interests of their Eastern partners—Ed.)    — Randsburg Miner

1905: MARCIA WYNN: “In 1905 the camp’s gold production was maintaining a fair size town, but there was competition, plenty of it. This came from Nevada’s desert. The sagebrush telegraph buzzed with an insistence that could not be denied; it tapped out the message of riches to be found in Tonopah, the great silver camp, and its near, and slightly younger—but very much giddier neighbor — Goldfield, whose gold was pouring forth in a dazzling cascade. In fact Goldfield’s riches were flowing so freely as to cause an international financial expert or two to publicly wonder if her production might not result in the demonetization of gold. Some experts went into detail describing the fearful consequences of such an event. This was all grist for Goldfield’s stock “mill,” which was merrily grinding out shares to be sold on her dizzy exchange, an exchange that enjoyed two shifts a day and world-wide publicity.

“LADIES - DAY - MONTEZUMA - CLUB - GOLDFIELD, NEV. “ 1905 +or- - A. Allen Photo - Pioneer Studio. The cream of society at the height of the excitement . Wynn family patriarch Harmon Rittenhouse Wynn, from his memoirs: "Mother had a millinery shop which supplied the fair sex of the town and surrounding country, with those most marvelous contraptions that women call hats. I was too young to remember what the hats looked like in those days, but “marvelous” is not strong enough to describe the present day headgear. One year they wear them high and terrible, the next year, or more likely, in six months they are down to almost nothing and what there is is tilted over one eye. Another one will be stuck up straight in front and nothing behind. Then again they are wearing them draped with mosquito netting. This netting usually has an assortment of large black dots. Some of the near sighted sisters have been known to rush to the family doctor, knowing that dancing black dots are a bad sign.” - An Average American: Memoirs of Harmon Rittenhouse Wynn

Tonopah and Goldfield were on the lips of mining men and capitalists everywhere, and stocks bearing these magic names were sold to thousands of investors across the country who wouldn’t know gold or silver ore from scheelite. Much of the stock sold brought more experience than dividends. I’m personally collecting these old stock certificates for papering a study sometime. They make excellent wall paper, besides being interesting and nostalgic reminders to mining folk of the last great, rip-roaring mining camps of the west.

New discoveries of gold, silver and copper broke out like a rash all over the Nevada deserts. In breath-taking succession there was Klondike, Gold Mountain, Bullfrog, Rhyolite, Beatty and a dozen and more others. They were the satellites of Tonopah and Goldfield.

Added to these were the state’s older districts, which rallied from moribundity with the vitalizing stimuli of the strikes. Prospectors on foot, with burro pack train, in buggy and stage, deserted other fields for the deserts of Nevada during the next several years. Men who hadn’t glimpsed each other’s faces since Leadville or Cripple Creek, Idaho’s Coeur d’ Alene, and a score of other bonanzas, met in the sage of Nevada’s desert, slapped old friends on the back and called each other by first name. Tonopah! Goldfield! Everyone agreed there’d never be anything like them again. The mere mention of these camps was enough to set a mining man’s pulse racing.

The lost Gunsight! Jim Butler’s Mizpah in Tonopah must be the lost mine!

As a natural consequence of this dehiscence of Nevada’s treasure chests, there was a general exodus of miners from the Rand camps to the Nevada sage. Grandfather was one who heard the siren call. He planned on selling the Baltic mine and settling for a slice of Nevada. We still had a shirt to lose in mining, and there would be the opportunities of a city — everyone was “dead sure” Goldfield would be a great teeming city in the sage. So Grandfather departed with Grandmother for one of the greatest boom towns that ever rose out of the west.

There were others who felt the same way. Many miners walked off from perfectly good properties in their haste to reach the Nevada strikes. Many came tramping back in months or a year or so. Not that there wasn’t plenty of gold and silver in Nevada, but the good ground was either all taken up or they’d lost what they’d made there. One can lose money very fast in mining. A miners’ strike tied up Goldfield’s mines for a time, and this caused many to leave.

In time, we, too, went back to the Baltic, when the Big Deal there didn’t go through.” - Desert Bonanza

August 20, 1905: “The Baltic mine, near Randsburg, Kern County, has been sold to an Eastern syndicate.” – San Francisco Call

August 16, 1906: “C. H. WYNN of the Baltic was in town Wednesday.”  — Randsburg Miner

June 10, 1907: “A big lawsuit is promised over the ownership of the Baltic quartz mine, near Randsburg, so says the Bakersfield Californian. The mine, which has been valued at $50,000, Is owned by Charles H. Wynn.” – Los Angeles Herald

March 25, 1911: “NOTICE OF NON- RESONSIBILITY  –To all whom it may concern:  We will not be responsible for labor or material used on the Baltic Lode Mining Claim situated in the Rand Mining District, said claim being under lease and option to us. C. J. and E. E. Teagle

July 23, 1911: “BALTIC TO RESUME—Judge Wynn, owner of the Baltic mine, arrived from the east where he has been successful in obtaining capital for further development of the Baltic mine. Additional machinery will be installed and a force of men put to work to take out the ore body which has already been blocked out. This mine has been a good producer in the past and with careful management should be put on a well-paying basis.” – San Francisco Call

PLACER GOLD COMPANY DREDGE/CONTRAPTION AT THE BALTIC MINE. Hard to fathom how plant was to be moved; if floated in the usual way in a lake made for the purpose, where is the barge? - RDM Collection

August 21, 1912: “PLACER GOLD MINING COMPANY — An entirely new plant of much larger capacity has been installed by the Placer Gold Mining Company on the Baltic grounds, one of the 15 claims owned by this company. Operations have been started at once.

This company will be one of the first to use electric power. About 45 to 60 horsepower will be required to operate the plant. Water for sluicing purposes is furnished both by the Randsburg Water Company, and the Santa Fe railroad. The pipe-line of the Sunshine mine has been connected with and it is through this pipe-line that the water hauled in tank cars is pumped from the Santa Fe depot in Johannesburg.” – Randsburg Miner

BALTIC MINE - "RIDING THE MILL SKIP, Eda and Beulah Fairchild standing in rear; Frank Matthews seated in front; Harmon Wynn standing." -- Wynn Collection

1914: “IN 1896 CHARLES H. WYNN came to Randsburg and here he has made his home almost continuously since, engaged in the practice of law, and with his sons Harmon and Wilbur, he is also interested in mining.  A native of New York State, Charles H. Wynn was born in Genesee County, April 23, 1848.  Left an orphan when a child, he was taken to Danville, Ill., to make his home with relatives, and there he attended school.  On April 1, 1862, when he was less than fourteen years old, he enlisted in the Union Army, becoming a private in Company I, Thirty Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and in the battle of Stone River he was severely wounded.  At the same time he was also taken prisoner, but was afterward recaptured and returned to his regiment, thereafter taking part in several other battles and at the expiration of his term he received his honorable discharge.

Upon returning home from the war, Mr. Wynn settled at Dixon, Ill. Where he attended school, and then entered the State University at Ann Arbor, Mich., where he took his law course.  In 1870 he began the practice of law, following this up to the time he came to Randsburg, Cal, in August of 1896.  Upon arriving he first established a stage line between Mojave and Randsburg, which was first class in every detail.  As above stated he is interested in mining with his sons, owning the Baltic stamp mill and cyanide plant.  It is worthy of note that the first tungsten discovered in California was taken from the Baltic mine, and this was the first shipment of tungsten ore from this state.”  – Morgan

1915: “Baltic, a producer, in  the Rand district, is located  in Sec. 1, T 20 S., R. 40 E., M. D. M., 1 ½ miles southeast of Johannesburg.  Holdings consist of 40 acres (patented), owned by the  Baltic Mining Company, of Randsburg; C. H. Wynn, president; H. R. Wynn, secretary  and manager.  Deposit consists of many small   veins in a sheer  zone of schistose quartz from 100 to 300 feet wide.  Country rock is rhyolite and porphyry.  Ore is free milling.  Workings consist of two incline shafts each 250 feet deep, levels, topes and 150 feet crosscut.  Steam hoist is 20 h. p.  Owners claim an ore reserve of 200,000 tons, assaying $2.50 per ton.  Reduction equipment consists of 10-stamp Llewellyn mill, Blaker crusher (8” x 10”), and 50 ton cyanide plant.  Electric power used.  Twenty men are employed.  Adjoining mines are: G. B. on north, Gold Coin on south, Placer Gold Company on east and Bismarck on west.” – G. Chester Brown

DRYWASHING AT THE BALTIC MINE - Jean Miller Collection

April 19, 1915: “PLACER OPERATIONS—Clyde Kuffel and Fred Messer are now working on the Baltic placer ground, near Buys and Truman.  A new jig has been built similar to the one now in operation, and after the gold and tungsten has been concentrated the gold will be amalgamated by a further process.  The machine and two men can handle six tons per day.”—Bakersfield Californian

October 27, 1915: “W. B. WILSON is still operating the St. Elmo and has leased the Wynn custom mill, which is kept busy on his property.  The ore averages about $17 free gold and $13 per ton is recovered by cyanide process after milling.”—Bakersfield Californian

April 12, 1916:  “Gus Cody, leaser on the Baltic property in the Stringer district, has taken out 1200 pounds of high grade gravel in two weeks.  The Baltic property was sold at public auction in Bakersfield several months ago for $50,000 after a decree of the Kern Courts” –Bakersfield Californian

June 20, 1916:  “L. A. MEN PURCHASE MINING PROPERTY AT ATOLIA FOR $100,000 – Low Grade and High Grade Both in Demand at Tungsten Camp.   Atolia, Cal., June 26 – In a deal involving over $100,000 the Baltic mine and mill, and the Buckboard mines in the Stringer district, lying between this place and Randsburg were sold Saturday to a syndicate of Los Angeles people, headed by A. O. Hunsaker, L. H. Harrod and J. C. Woodmancy by Messrs. Anker, of the Yellow Aster and Sweeney owners of the Baltic, and Mrs. Burcham and Anker owners of the biggest interests in the famous Yellow Aster gold mine.

The combine includes the Baltic mill and mine and the Buckboard mines, totaling about 150 acres of valuable ground and is located near the Yellow Aster and the Consolidated Mines Company another noted local dividend payer.

According to those interested the Baltic mill is to be remodeled and improved with the latest machinery and arranged for net reduction of both tungsten and gold; 30,000 tons of ore are ready for milling.” – The Bakersfield Californian

November 20, 1917: “THE BALTIC MNE and mill are under lease to R. Nichois and I. Van Ingen.” — Bakersfield Californian

November 20, 1917: “THE GROUND BELOW the Baltic is being worked for scheelite.” — Bakersfield Californian

May 4, 1921: “Mechanics are restoring much of the material in the old Baltic mill, one of the best mills brought into the Rand district.  During years of idleness the heavy timbers decayed.  The management believes, however, that all will be in readiness  on or before May 15.  On May 17, the leasers on the Buckboard will turn over the mine to the Baltic-Buckboard management.” – Bakersfield Californian

October 3, 1921: “The Baltic mill is dropping ten stamps on ore from the Buckboard.” – Bakersfield Californian

October 8, 1921: “The Baltic mill is dropping ten stamps steadily on ore from the Buckboard.” – Bakersfield Californian

June 14, 1922: “THE BALTIC NOW FULLY EQUIPPED with one of the best plants for mining in the district have put the finishing touches to their equipment and will be hard after the ore from now on.  This prospect has one of the best surface showings in the Rand District.  A fine strong quartz ledge outcrops along their property which upon sampling at the surface returned as high as 5 to 9 ounces in silver.  The shaft is being started near this outcrop with a view of getting down and then cross cutting and drifting on the ore preparatory to blocking out and stopeing when the ore is found and developed.”  –  The Rand District News

Rand Mining and Milling Company Stock Certificate. Collection of the Rand Desert Museum

August 19, 1922: “THE OLD BALTIC PROPERTY, with adjoining territory amounting in all to 200 acres, was recently taken over by the Rand Mining & Milling Co., which has equipped it with necessary electrical machinery.  The shaft is now down to a depth of 265 ft., and a station has been cut on the 200 foot level.  The Baltic was formerly a free milling gold property, most of the ore from which was mined close to the surface.”   — Engineering and Mining Journal-Press

February 16, 1923:  “DIAMOND DRILLERS WILL SINK HOLE – Famous Old Claim Will Be Given Thorough Exploration –by Jo P. Carroll — Randsburg. Feb. 16.—In the excitement days when gold brought the first rush in and the “stringer “ part of the district was proving a wonder both in quartz and placer many efforts were made to lese of bond the Home Lode claim now under operation by the Rand Mining and Milling Company, financed mostly by Taft Capital.  This claim in all of the three stampeded, gold, tungsten and silver was considered the choicest.  When the “Baltic” secured them they were commended for their good judgment.  Last summer they cut into an eight foot vein it was the opinion that with further development they would get into a good body of ore; they decided to cut a station at the five hundred eighty and drift out.  After making one hundred eighty five feet they have decided to consider the plan of contracting with the diamond drill people.” – Bakersfield Californian

October 4, 1923: “NOTABLE STRIKE—One of the most notable strikes in the history of the district was announced last week by an official of Keller Brothers of Bakersfield when it was stated that a large body of high grade milling ore, averaging $25 a ton had been cut at a depth of 162 feet.  Negotiations were at once completed for the purchase of the Baltic Mill, and Baltic and Blue Bird claims.  A force of men were then put to work on the Blue Bird property where extensive work had already been done, and the work of stopping down the ore was started.  This ore will be handled through the Baltic mill which is now being prepared to receive it.  The initial capacity will be 30 tons daily but this output will be increased as necessary machinery can be placed.”—Bakersfield Californian

March 1925: “THE BALTIC PROPERTY, owned by the Rand Mining and Milling Company, is located approximately one and one-half miles southwest of Randsburg, in the old Stringer District.  The property is developed by a shaft, inclined at a low angle to the north, which reached a depth of 162 feet.  Two veins were worked, one of which is said to strike east and the other north.  Some good ore was removed between the bottom of the shaft and the surface, but none was found below a depth of 162 feet.  The property has not been worked for many years.  It is equipped with a 10 stamp mill.

Following the silver discovery in 1919, a new shaft was sunk approximately 600 feet northwest of the old shaft, on a continuation of the vein being worked on the K. C. N. Lode Claim.  This shaft (1 ½ compartment) is inclined to the south at an angle of 65 degrees and is 610 feet deep as measured on the incline.  Levels were cut at 300 and 580 feet.  The 300-foot level crosscut 95 feet to the south, intersecting the vein at 55 feet; 230 feet of drifts were run along the vein.  On the 580-foot level, crosscuts were run 112 feet to the south and 96 feet to the north, but the vein was not found.  No commercial ore was found and the property was closed down in July, 1923.  The Monarch Rand Mining Company has since acquired the Baltic Claim.”  – Hulin

December 15, 1930: “E. W. Callahan of Los Angeles, California, has taken a bond and lease on the Baltic Mine and Mill, and the Buckboard, two old-time producers in the “stringer” gold fields of the Rand District. The Baltic Plant is connected with water and power service, and the mill has given a good recovery on the ore. It is only a mile from camp. Callahan is bringing in a concentrator that was tried out in Nevada, for the treatment of the Buckboard ore, and will use Diesel power, and pipe water in from the Yellow Aster system. The owners of both properties have interests in the Yellow Aster.”—The Mining Journal

January 15, 1931: “E. W. Callahan of Los Angeles, California, is awaiting the arrival of a carload of machinery from Arizona, at his Baltic and Buckboard properties, at Randsburg. Actual work will be started as soon as this machinery arrives.”—The Mining Journal

January 30, 1931: “E. W. Callahan, of Los Angeles, California, mine operator, expects to begin active work at his Baltic and Buckboard leases, at Randsburg, January 10. The 10-stamp mill at the Baltic will be reconditioned, and deeper development prosecuted in both mines. The Baltic incline shaft is 600 feet deep. Water and power service are available, and the mine is close to a paved county highway. The Buckboard Shaft has been sunk 400 feet vertically, and, in the bottom, Callahan has located a four-foot ledge of sulphide ore, that will return about $30 a ton.”—The Mining Journal

BALTIC MINE, THEN (1920s) & NOW, (2012), VIEW NORTH. The angle of view on the mill is about right, though it was located closer to the 2012 camera position. Part of the mismatch in horizons is because of the heap-leach pads created between 1986-2003 as the pit was dug. Mercifully, the power towers didn’t move, and provided the basis for this guesstimation at scale & position. The steel post in the left foreground served as a base for a transit and/or laser scanner, the better to measure & direct the excavation. The shape of the hole was determined by a computer model of the ore body informed by extensive core sampling. Profitable ore was left in the western (left) wall through the reluctance of the power company to shift its’ towers or right-of-way. © William James Warren

BALTIC MINE, VIEW NORTH, 1920s(?) - Wynn Family Collection

January 30, 1932: “TWO MINES WILL STAGE COMEBACK –Baltic, White Properties at Randsburg Taken Up by New Corporation—Two of the oldest gold-producing mines in this district will be revived, it was learned here today, with the report that the Erin Go Braugh Corporation of Las Vegas plans to operate a regular custom mill service to fill a long-needed service for the small mine owners and gold-leasers.

Erin Go Braugh will operate the Baltic and White mines, under management of C. E. Adair, who has started rehabilitation of the Baltic’s 10 stamp mill. In its day this mill was considered the leading gold saver.

Foundation for a 100-ton ball mill, and electric amalgamator and cyanidation plant, has been completed adjoining the mill plant on the south.

Active work on both mines soon will be under way; The White mine is located approximately five miles from the Baltic which will offer the district two new pay rolls.  M. G. Waggoner is president of the new corporation.” – Bakersfield Californian

BALTIC MINE PIT, PANORAMA, VIEW NORTH, 2012 Photo taken from about where the mill was located, now in thin air. © William James Warren 2012

ANALOG/PLASTIC MODEL OF AN COPPER ORE BODY IN CHINA, C. 1980. View looking down. The Red denotes economic ore, the black lines define the shape of the hole. This sort of analysis would have been applied at the baltic. © William James Warren

1990s: The Baltic property was re-opened by the Glamis Gold Corporation who worked out the whole ore body by open pit, heap leaching methods.

“Glamis Gold Ltd. was a Reno, Nevada based gold producer with operations in the Americas. In 2006 they expected to produce 620,000 ounces of gold at a total cash cost of US$190 per ounce. They remained 100% unhedged.

On 31 August 2006, Goldcorp acquired Glamis Gold for $8.6 billion USD, creating one of the world’s largest gold mining companies with combined assets of $21.3 billion USD [1]. The takeover was completed in November 2006.”  - Wikipedia

Watch this page for photos & additional articles

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top