BOARDING, ROOMING, AND LODGING HOUSES

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

Boarding houses provided meals to the people who resided in them. Rooming and lodging Houses did not provide meals.  Some of the boarding and lodging houses changed status depending on whom was running them.  Whether a business was called a boarding house, lodging house, rooming house, or a hotel seemed to be more or a whim of the proprietor than an actual distinction of services except for meals.  Some other services were provided by some of the ladies who listed their profession as boarding house keepers.

Mrs. Thomas Kerns — Miners Home / Hotel Rand

Mrs. Kerns, formerly Mrs. Freeman, moved her boarding house over from Goler in April of 1896, and most likely was the first boarding house in the camp. The boarding house was called the “Miners Home”.   By September of that same year she had built on a twelve-room addition and was calling her place of business the Hotel Rand.  Mrs. Kerns enjoyed a fine reputation for her meals and her housekeeping and stayed in business in Randsburg until May of 1897 when she moved to Tehachapi.

C. J. Genshlen — Randsburg Boarding House / Hollenbeck Hotel

In November of 1896 Mr. Genshlen of Los Angeles in partnership with E. Hannah of Lancaster  purchased the Randsburg Boarding House, it is unknown who they purchased it from.  By December of that same year they had changed the name to the Hollenbeck Hotel.

Mrs. T. M. Harrington – “Harrington House” and Russ House

Mrs. Harrington came to Randsburg in the fall of 1896 and is credited with building the Russ House.  In an 1899 listing of Leading Business Firms of Randsburg under lodging houses there is listed both the Russ and the Harrington, the Harrington House was listed in the accounts of the Jan 20, 1898 fire that destroyed Randsburg.  The Harrington House set at the junction of Rand and Broadway on the North-West corner.   Whether Mrs. Harrington actually built the Russ House or later acquired it is not really clear.  However, at the time of her death in January of 1906 she owned the Russ House.  Mrs.

Harrington was a widow and was 60 years of age when she passed.  She was survived by two daughters; a Mrs. C. A. Dunby of Copperopolis , Cal. and Mrs. H. A. Morgan of Wilcox Arizona.

O. K. Lodging House

The Daily Californian, reported in its Randsburg Notes section, that ” A most enjoyable dance was held in the O. K. Lodging House…” this was in December of 1896.  No other mention of this lodging house or who owned it during this period has been located. It appears from the photo below that it was located on upper Butte Ave.

Sarah T. Burton

The 1900 Census shows Sarah Burton, a native of Virginia, as a lodging housekeeper.  Mrs. Burton was a 63-year-old widow.  Her son David V. and five other men resided at her lodging house.

Anna B. Chipman

Mrs. Chipman, a native of New York, was a 60-year-old widow who ran a boarding house in Randsburg in 1900.  She had eleven boarders.

J. P. Cummins

Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Cummins opened a boarding house on Butte Ave. in September of 1900.

Margaret M. Dee According to the 1900 census Mrs. Dee had a boarding house.  If she did then she did not reside in it as their are no boarders listed at the location where she was residing.  Living with her was her daughter Maude Williams, a 19-year-old daughter, who as Mrs. Dee was a native of England. Annie and Harold Dee  ages, 12 and 11 respectively were shown as being away at school.

Louisa Ray

Louisa was the wife of John Ray a carpenter, in the 1900 census Mrs. Ray listed her occupation a lodging housekeeper.  The census showed that in addition to her husband she had two sons and one boarder living in her residence at the time of the census.

Hannah Shangler

Hannah, during the 1900 census, declared her occupation to be a Boarding House Keeper.  She is shown however as residing by her self in her residence. She was a 26-year-old single woman.

Mrs. Kane

In 1904 a Mrs. Kane was reported to have sold her boarding house to Mrs. Rockhold. Mrs. Kane and her two children then left town.   One of those children must have been Grover Kane as according to Roberta Starry in her book Gold Gamble. “Grover Kane, whose father came to the yellow aster as a miner in the rush of ‘97 and whose mother ran a boarding house at the junction of Rand and Broadway, told of the high grading by the men that boarded at their place.”

“….  I was just a kid at the time and had more money to spend than I knew what to do with.  Mother would put and extra piece of pie in a boarder’s lunch pail, and when he brought it in at night the handle would hardly hold the pail up, it was that heavy.  I’d relieve them of the bucket before they went into the dining room for dinner and dump the contents into a box out back.  We got a share, and probably the rest went to pay the fellow’s board bill, which was $25 a month.” This practice was prevalent in the early mining towns and let too many arrests. In Randsburg it was reported that in 1898 the mine was loosing as much as $2,500 per month which would be equivalent to approximately $50,000 per month at today’s values.  The Daily Californian reported in April of 1898 that “George Calladine and Oliver Lefevre and his wife were arrested today, charged with stealing ore from the yellow aster mining company.  Warrants are out for three other parties, but two of them, Jim Adams and another man, skipped out last night, taking over $600 with them.” Wives of their miners trading gold dust in at the local stores aroused the Yellow Aster suspicions.

Mrs. Rockhold

Mrs. Rockhold purchased her boarding house in 1904 from Mrs. Kane.  In conjunction with the boarding house Mrs. Rockhold ran a millenary shop.  She was still conducting this business in 1907. However, in 1912 she was listed as a housewife.

Charles P. (Pat) Fahey — Rand Lodging House

Pat Fahey was doing business as a lodging housekeeper as early as 1905 and was in this business until 1915 when he sold his lodging house to O. Ottison.  .  Pat was no new comer to the mining towns of the area, having owned the Mono Brewery in which was located in Bodie, Cal. in Bodie”   1880.

Edith B. McGinn

Mrs. McGinn ran a boarding house out in the Stringer District in 1905.  Mrs. McGinn was the wife of J. E. McGinn. The McGinns were early pioneers of the camp and Mr. McGinn had been a saloon man until 1904 when he sold out and went mining.  When her husband had to leave to find work Mrs. McGinn stayed behind in Randsburg where she raised her daughters Bessie McGinn  and Margaret McGinn  while running a boarding house or playing piano in a fraternal hall.  In 1912 their house was completely destroyed by a fire that started from a kettle that was left on the stove while Edith took a nap.  They lost not only their house but also all of their possessions.  Supervisor Rinaldi circulated among the citizens and quickly raised $150 in their relief.  A benefit ball was held the following Friday evening and the proceeds were also donated to the McGinn’s.

Virginia V. Cordova

In the 1910 Census Virginia a 20-year-old widow listed her occupation as a boarding house keeper.  She had one boarder who was a 30 year old gold miner.

W. B. Dodson

The 1910 census shows the Dodson boarding house on Butte Ave. as being near the Houser Hotel.  The residents were all miners from Montenegro.  There was no boarding house keeper listed as residing at this location.  The only Dodson listed in the 1910 Census was Wilkes B. Dodson who listed his occupation as a miner.  It is possible that Wilkes was the owner of the boarding house even though the Randsburg Miner reported in August of 1912 that L. P Christensen had purchased the Boarding house conducted by H. B Dodson.  It is assumed that the H. is a typo and should have been a W.

Louis Peter Christensen

L. P. Christensen purchased the Dodson boarding house on Butte Ave. in Randsburg from H. (W). B. Dodson in August of 1912. . In December of 1915 it was reported in the Randsburg Miner that Victor Lypps has purchased the Maginnis Hotel from E. B. Maginnis for L. P. Christensen.

E. B Maginnis — Maginnis House

E. B Maginnis came to Randsburg as a young man in 1896.  His name appears among the first entries (August 20, 1896) of payments by the Rand Mining Co. for services rendered such as recording.  He was well thought of and was appointed the first Justice of the Peace of the camp in October of 1896, a position he held for most of the period cover by this book.  In addition he is listed in 1912 through 1915 as running a boarding house called the Maginnis House on Butte Ave.  This building was located across from the present Charlie’s Ore House antique shop where the Wind Chime shop is presently located.

Bernard Maginnis

Bernard Maginnis was the father of E. B. Maginnis and was listed as a landlord in the 1900 census. He later moved to San Diego..

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Green — The Rand Lodging House

In June of 1913 the Greens leased the Rand Lodging House, which they completely over hauled and equipped with electric lights.  The rooms were said to be large and airy and lodgers were provided with every convenience.

Laura and Nellie Miles

The 1914 Great Register of Voters for Kern County shows Laura and Nellie Miles as boarding house keepers.  Laura Miles is known to have located to Los Angeles when she left Randsburg.

Mrs. R. Howard –Miles House

In 1915 an advertisement appeared in the local newspaper for the new Miles House ran by Mrs. Howard who specialized in home cooking.

L. Nicholson – O. K. Boarding House

In November of 1915 Mr. Nicholson sold the O.K. Boarding House to Mrs. J. W. Martin.

Mrs. J. W. Martin – O. K. Boarding House

Mrs. J. W. Martin purchased the O. K. Boarding House in 1915.

Miss Hattie J. Woods

Miss Woods was listed in the 1918 Great Register of Voters as running a boarding house in Randsburg.

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Merchants. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top