LITTLE BUTTE MINE

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

Summary:

1962:   THREE PATENTED CLAIMS. Principal shaft inclined 60 degrees NE. and 610 feet deep with about 3,500 feet of drifts on levels spaced at 50-foot intervals. Shorter shafts and manways to the surface east of the main shaft. Principal periods of productivity were between 1897-1902, and during 1905-6. Estimated values of total gold output range from $150,000 to $400,000. Idle since 1923.”  – Mines and Mineral Resources of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

September 15, 1896: “LITTLE BUTTE MINE (quartz) – It is 1 mile N. E. of Randsburg, at 3,400 altitude, and adjoins the Kenyon.  It is a new location.  Surface cuts are being made to trace the vein.  H. C. Ramie et al, of Randsburg, owners.”   — California State Mining Bureau, Thirteenth Report of the State Mineralogist

June 22,1896: “THE LITTLE BUTTE No. 1 shaft is now down about 160 feet and the ore is increasing in value rapidly.  The ledge has widened from tow to four feet in the last twenty-five feet.”  — The Californian

August 15, 1897: “A RANDSBURG STRIKE Rich Ore Is Uncovered in the Little Butte News of another rich strike at Randsburg has reached this city. Gervaise Purcell, engineer for the Little Butte Mining Company, yesterday returned from the camp with the best of reports. He brought a number of average samples from the depth of 280 feet which show $471.90 in gold and something over$3 in silver, though the latter is not counted now in the calculations of the miners there. The pay chute is next to the hanging wall and at the depth mentioned is from fourteen to twenty-four inches wide, with every promise of maintaining its richness. The vein extends for the 1000 feet on the property, as will be demonstrated by a shaft which is now being sunk to cut it at the opposite end from where it is visible.” –The Herald

April 16, 1897:  “NORWALK –Dr. J. W. OAKLEY AND H. C. OAKLEY  went to Randsburg today.” – The Herald

Little Butte Mining and Milling Company Stock Certificate. This certificate is an original but was filled in and never issued in 1968. Note that the Seal on the Certificate is for the Butte Lode Mine. Collection of the Rand Desert Museum

July 11, 1897: “ADJOINING THE KINYON ON THE West Side, and cornering with the Wedge mine, is the Little Butte. It belongs to the Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, the head offices of which are in Los Angeles. The property was purchased last January by E. Lee Allen, manager of the mine and secretary of the company, who incorporated it last April, with a capital of $500,000, divided into shares of the par value of $1 each. Of these shares 400,000 were issued in payment of the property, and the remaining 100,000 are in the treasury of the company, for sale as occasion may require the proceeds from which are to be used for the development of the mine. A new shaft is being sunk and a whim put in, while at the same time, work is being pushed day and night in shaft No. 1, three shifts of men being worked. This latter shaft is now down over two hundred feet, with a 40-foot crosscut at the 135-foot level. The development work has opened up two ledges which enter the end line of the property from the Kinyon mine. The outcroppings of the Butte ledge, which pass through the Wedge and Kinyon mines, continue through the entire length of the Little Butte, and the Kinyon drift is now within about forty feet of the east line of this mine. How the Little Butte was originally located is a little story by itself: here it is; When the rich ledge in the Kinyon mine was uncovered there was a big rush to that part of the field. Uncle Johnnie Reece, an old miner and a bit of a character in his way, took the course of the ledge stepped off and monumented the location, beginning at the west end line of the Kinyon, which was only about one hundred feet from where gold could be seen without a glass, cropping out on the surface. With the accuracy acquired by years of experience Uncle Johnnie followed the course of the vein for 1400 feet. At that distance he was overtaken by a young man named Johnnie Osborn, and two other men, who, having heard of the rich strike in the Kinyon, were running like mad to secure a location. Uncle Johnnie looked at them as they came up and asked them what they wanted. When they told him, he said that they might go ahead and he would stop where he was, saying 1400 of such ground as he was on was good enough even for a Rothschild. Mr. Allen, when he purchased the mine, concluded he might just as well have a little more ground, so on January 9 last, he purchased an interest in the Little Butte Extension, also in the Royal, which follows next in line, and which gave him in all, nearly four thousand feet on the Kinyon ledge. Development work has been done on each piece of property and the course of the ledge clearly demonstrated.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

July 28, 1897:  “RANDSBURG STRIKE — Ore Showing free Gold Found in the Little Butte Mine — RANDSBURG. Cal., July 27. — Secretary. Allen of the Little Butte mine was around yesterday exhibiting several rich pieces of: quartz, which, he declared, came from his * mine. At noon today several mining men were granted permission to inspect the mine. Each and all were surprised; at the character of the ore, and with the width of the ledge. Peter Klinefelter, a practical mining man of Colorado, says: “At the bottom of the 200-foot incline there is a rich body of ore three feet in thickness, showing free gold. The ore is live quartz and the same as that of the Kinyon mine. Little Butte is one of the best strikes made in the camp, and will greatly add to the development work now under way in the many promising prospects. This afternoon a rich body of ore was struck in the western 70-foot level in the Kinyon mine. It will mill $200 to the ton.” – San Francisco Call

July 31, 1897: “The Little Butte has struck a three-foot vein of rich ore at a depth of 275 feet from the surface.  Gold is visible in nearly every piece taken out.  Considering the depth at which this ore was struck, it is one of the most important events in the history of the camp.  The Little Butte mines lies just west of and adjoining the Kinyon, and is evidently the same vein and a continuation westward of the Butte, Wedge, and Kinyon.  It was located in April 1896, by John Reese, J. A. Roy, and Kelly who bonded it to Smith & Senter for six months.  The latter sank a shaft on it to a depth of 100 feet, and they gave it up.  It prospected a little from the start, but very little.  In no place was the ore of sufficient value to save.  One peculiarity was that the head wall always showed up well defined and smooth.  The ore body, or vein, sometimes ran down to six inches in thickness, varying to four of five feet, but the head wall was always the same.  It was considered valuable only because of its proximity to the other good paying mines to the east of it, and now for anything that came out of it. The mine lay idle from October 1896, to February 1897, when Mr. Allen bought it and organized a company to develop it.  The present company began working it in April, and has continued ever since.  The first 100 feet goes down at an angle of 45 degrees, or less.  Then the vein flattens out and from there to the point where the pay ore was struck, it is 30 degrees, and in some places less.  But at about 270 feet, it suddenly straightens up to 45 or 50 degrees, and there the strike was made. The Times correspondent, in company with Mr. Harper of Harper & Reynolds Co. of Los Angeles, Mr. Klinefelter, superintendent of the J. I. C. and Excelsior mines, and one or two other gentlemen, on the invitation of Mr. Allen, superintendent and manager, visited the mine Tuesday noon, and made a personal examination.  The face of the ore body is fully three feet, running clear across the shaft, and shows good ore throughout.  Every shot put in show it up in better shape, and magnificent specimens or ore, with gold sparkling all over them, have been taken out since Monday morning, when the first shot developed the pay ore. The Little Butte Mining and Milling Company is organized with a capital of $500,000, with W. J. Clark of Ontario, Cal., president; H. C. Oakley also of Ontario, vice-president; the Broadway Bank of Los Angeles, treasurer, and J. Lee Allen, secretary and superintendent, Randsburg.  The company also has an office at Toronto, Can. With several Canadian directors. There are two shafts on the mine, the one where the strike was made and another at the northwest end of the mine, fifty feet in depth, prospecting a little.  This morning work was begun on the erection of an ore house and other needed improvements at the mine.  The company has other properties; included in the corporation, but the principal work up to the present time has been on the Little Butte. ”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

Although an Original Copy These By Laws of the Little Butte Mining and Mlling Co. are unsinged. The Are However Dated April 1897. Collection of the Rand Desert Museum

August 2, 1897: “Forty-three dollar rock is being extracted from the bottom of the 285 foot shaft on the Little Butte No. 1 mine.” – The Herald

August 09, 1897: “MINERS AT RANDSBURGBOUND TO STRIKE PAY  QUARTZ OR TEA LEAVES – Little Butte Proprietors Rewarded for Their Faith and Outlay— JOHANNESBURG, Cal., Aug. I.—Your correspondent visited the Little and through the courtesy of its manager, Mr. Allen, was allowed to inspect it. The Little Butte is not more than three blocks from the main street of Randsburg and is an extension of the rich Kinyon mine. It was a theory of its owners that the ledge of the Kinyon ran through this claim and that by sinking and drifting it could be found. Acting on this theory, a force of men was put to work and a ledge was found with a clearly defined hanging wall. A shaft was sunk on it for 275 feet without an ounce of gold being taken out. On the 130 foot level a drift was run for forty feet, but without result. When down 275 feet a rich body of ore was encountered between four and five feet wide, with .a pay streak a foot wide. The pay streak is immediately under the hanging wall, is a mixture of gray porphyry and rose-colored quartz and is heavily impregnated with cube iron. Through it large and small particles of virgin gold are easily distinguished. The quartz of the pay streak is very hard, striking fire with almost every stroke of the pick and growing richer toward the left of the shaft. The foot wall has not been found yet and it is probable the ledge will grow wider until it is uncovered. The Wedge is the deepest mine in the district and the Little Butte ranks second, being clown over 280 feet. A large and substantial ore house is being built and as soon as completed three shifts of men will be put at work. At present the mine is working two shifts and the ore is hoisted by horsepower, but in a short time a gasoline hoist will be put in. It took “the courage of one’s convictions” to sink almost 300 feet on a ledge, which in some places was not over six inches wide-, and dire disaster was often prophesied; but now, since the management has made a success, there are plenty to cry “I told you so.”” – The Herald

August 06, 1897: “ONTARIO, Aug. s.—(Regular Correspondence.) Messrs. Clark and Oakley are receiving the congratulations of their friends on the rich strike in the Little Butte claim at Randsburg. The Little Butte is- said to have the vein the entire length of its full claim of 1500 feet, and is said to be by far the most important strike yet made in the camp.” – The Herald

August 15, 1897: “A RANDSBURG STRIKE – Rich Ore Is Uncovered in the Little Butte.  News of another rich strike at Randsburg has reached this city. Gervaise Purcell, engineer for the Little Butte Mining Company, yesterday returned from the camp with the best of reports. He brought a number of average samples from the depth of 280 feet which show $471.90 in gold and something over$3 in silver, though the latter is not counted now in the calculations of the miners there. The pay chute is next to the hanging wall and at the depth mentioned is from fourteen to twenty-four inches wide, with every promise of maintaining its richness. The vein extends for the 1000 feet of the property, as will be demonstrated by a shaft which is now being sunk to cut it at the opposite end from where it is visible.” – The Herald

August 16, 1897: “THE STRIKE ON THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE not only holds out, but improves with each day’s work. Three shifts are now at work and the sound of the pick and drill are constantly heard. A new ore house 24×36 feet, has been erected connecting with the shaft house, making the buildings L-shaped, with a front of 52 feet, all put up in a substantial manner. A contract has been let to sink shaft No. 2 at the West End of the ledge, fifty feet deeper. It is now fifty feet and at a depth of 100 feet the whim now used at shaft No. 1 will be removed and put on No. 2, and a gasoline hoist put at shaft No. 1, which it is proposed to sink to a depth of 400 feet before any drifting is done.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

August 22, 1898:  “GOLD HILL DISTRICT MINES THAT SAVE RANDSBURG EXISTENCE, The Little Butte Shows the Benefit of Sinking Deep After the Rich Ore RANDSBURG, Aug. 19.—T0 the mines situated on Gold hill this district practically owes its start In life. The news soon spread of the rich ore being taken out of the Butte, Klnyon and Wedge mines and hundreds flocked to the camp. Since then other mines have come to the front, and have added to the fame of the district. One of these, the Little Butte, lies on Gold hill and adjoins the Kinyon and Wedge mines. Unlike Its sister mines, nothing was found near the surface. A small vein or seam, in places hardly thicker than one’s hand, was found down to the depth of 280 feet before the long looked for gold was found. To fully appreciate the courage lt took to go that depth before finding ore it must be remembered that at that time the belief was commonly held that there would never be such a thing as deep mining in this district; that all veins pinched out before reaching 100 feet, or soon after. About one year ago a three-foot vein of rich ore was uncovered at the 280-foot level in the Little Butte; this lasted for quite a distance, then pinched out and for several feet dead work was the order of the day, when again a good body of ore came in. One year ago the mine was opened up by a 280-foot shaft, and the ore and waste were lifted by means of a whim. Now the main shaft is 500 feet deep with drifts at the 480, 378, 321 and 280 foot levels, the longest drift being 150 feet in length. A 26–horse power gasoline engine and hoist has replaced the old whim and the ore is brought up in a car holding half a ton, over a track laid with steel rails. An engine room, assay office and ore house have been built, and since the beginning of the year a two-stamp mill has been erected on the] property. At the 280-foot level 100 feet of stoping ground has been blocked out and several men are now at work in the western drift at that level, taking out high-grade ore. The ledge la about three feet wide, and with some sorting the ore could be made to reach $300 per ton. As the ore Is high grade anyway, and is run through the company’s own mill, the sorting would hardly pay. Homo very fine specimens have been taken from this drift, and it is an easy matter to find ore showing free gold. On Tuesday of this week the men working in the western drift at the 321-foot level  uncovered  a two-foot ledge of good ore about thirty feet from the main shaft,. At the STB-foot level a drift has been run in both directions. In the eastern drift, about thirty feet from the main shaft, a large body of ore of a new character was found. This ore is hard, of a bluish color, and besides carrying some free gold, abounds in sulphurets. At the 480-foot level this same rock was encountered in the eastern drift about eighteen feet from the main shaft, and runs into the main shaft between the 400 and 500 foot levels, the vein at that depth being seven feet wide. There will be stoping ground 100 feet In depth between the 480 and 378 foot levels, with the width yet to be determined by drifting. A test mill run of four tons of rock taken from the 480-foot level showed 118 in free gold, $2 In tailings per ton and $104 per ton for the sulphurets. The latter were concentrated 40 to 1. From the character of the rock at the 600-foot level It is thought that water will be found before many hundred feet have been passed. If this should prove to be so the future of the camp will be assured. Enough ore is in sight to keep live stamp mills running and it is probable that the company will add three more stamps before long. There is talk of erecting a concentrating plant.” – The Herald

August 25, 1897: “Mr.  Purcell, engineer for the Little Butte Company, made a critical examination of the mine the past week. Samples of the ore were sent to Los Angeles and assayed from $50 to $470. On Thursday, at a depth of 300 feet, a perfect wall was encountered. The width between the walls is Aye feet and is filled with ore. The pay streak varies from twelve to twenty-four inches and the balance is good ore which will run from $20 up. Superintendent Allen has put a force of men at work sinking a shaft on the west end of the ledge. They will sink to a depth of 800 feet and then drift east 1500 feet, to make connection with shaft No. 1. This will give them plenty of air and some good stoping ground. ” – The Herald

August 29, 1897: “The ledge at the Little Butte is from three to live feet wide and is as rich as ever.” – The Herald

October 11, 1897: “Shaft No. 2 of the Little Butte Is down 150 feet, and this week James Smith and Clark Buckley took a contract to sink 100 feet more. ” – The Herald

October 11, 1897: “A 25-HORSE POWER GASOLINE ENGINE is soon to be put in on the hoist at the Little Butte, and it is said that one of equal size will go in at the Skookum.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

October 16, 1897: The Little Butte at Randsburg is soon to have a power hoist, a twenty-horsepower gasoline engine, with other necessary machinery, having been ordered. The engine will be located at No. 1 shaft and the hoist at No. 2 shaft will be operated by the same engine. No. 2 shaft is now down 150 feet, where the ledge was cut in the early part of the week.  It is three feet thick at the point, and prospects and assays much better than in No. 1 shaft at the same depth. It is the intention of Manager Allen to establish a level at this point and drift both ways on the vein. In fact, drifting towards No. 1 shaft has already commenced. The work of sinking will be prosecuted at the same time.” The Herald

October 17, 1897: “The Little Butte Company has established a level at the depth of 385 feet, and is now drifting both ways in a vein of good ore. The 25-horse power gasoline hoisting engine will be in position within the next two weeks.” – The Herald

October 18, 1897:  “IN THE LITTLE BUTTE, the manager Allen reports that, while drifting on the seven-foot ledge at the 380 foot level of shaft No. 1 they struck a vein about two feet in width of the richest ore that has yet been taken out.  Specimens of is show free gold in abundance.”  – The Daily Californian

October 18, 1897:A ledge carrying very rich rock was struck in the Little Butte one day this week. The find was made in a drift on the 350 foot level about 20 feet from the main shaft. The ledge is from 18 inches to 2 feet wide and shows an abundance of free gold. A 25 horse-power gasoline hoist is expected’ to arrive at the mine sometime next week.” – The Herald

October 22, 1897: “WORK ON THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE in Randsburg is being pushed night and day, and the main shaft is down 300 feet with drifts to the east. Ore taken from a drift on the east side about twenty feet above the bottom of the shaft, was assayed Sunday morning by A. J. Petter, and although showing nothing in the pan or hornspoon, it went by assay $731.20. It is a gray, close grained rock, and heretofore has been considered worthless, It is base and shows no free gold until brought to a fire test.” — Los Angeles Daily Times

October 25, 1897: “In the Little Butte Manager Allen reports that while drifting on the seven foot ledge at the 380 foot level of shaft No. 1 they struck a vein about two feetin width of the richest ore that has yet been taken out. Specimens of it show free gold in abundance.” — The Herald

October 31, 1897:  “THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE -This adjoins the Kinyon on the north and is a valuable mining properly. After making an appointment with Mr. E. Lee Allen, the manager, to go through the mine, several attempts were made by the writer to meet him at the mine for that purpose, but unsuccessfully. The main shaft is down 385 feet, and drifting is in progress thence, both ways, in a vein of good ore. At the 280-foot level of the above shaft a 2-foot vein of the richest ore taken out was struck a few days ago.” – The Herald

November 23, 1897:  “EDMUND BRYDEN of the Little Butte mine and Miss Belle Canawan of Ontario were married at that place November 17. The groom has built and furnished a cottage on Johannesburg avenue and the happy couple are expected to arrive and take possession today. ” – The Herald

November 23, 1897:  “R. ADDISON of Los Angeles has been in the district the past week putting in place the engine and pump of the Johannesburg company’s new well: also the hoisting plant at the Little Butte. ” – The Herald

December 6, 1897:  “THE NEW TWENTY-FIVE HORSE-POWER ENGINE of the Little Butte is in place and operation.  It is being enclosed in a house today.  Not withstanding the fact that the Wedge, Kinyon, Butte and Rand mines are the oldest being worked in the district, yet not one of them has put an engine to hoist with and the Wedge will be the second to use steam to hoist with.  The Little Butte on that group is the first.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

December 23, 1897: “THE NEW ENGINE AND HOIST at the Wedge mine is now completed and in successful operation.  The one on the Little Butte, just west, will also be completed as soon as some necessary work of shantying the shaft shall be finished. .”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

January 03, 1898: “The Little Butte has started up, after making many improvements, and is now running three shifts, and the big engine is running about twenty-three hours and sixty minutes a day. Things look and sound decidedly lively over Gold Hill. — Randsburg Miner.” – The Herald

February 7, 1898:  “K. LEO ALLEN, superintendent of the Little Butte mine, left Sunday for Los Angeles. It is his intention to extend his trip to the east, and perhaps to Europe. During his absence his place will be filled by W. J. Clark of Ontario, who is one of the directors of the Little Butte company.” – The Herald

February 20, 1898:  “THE LITTLE BUTTE is down over 400 feet, and is making regular shipments of rich ore of a sulphide character. ”  –San Francisco Call

March 30, 1898: “The new shaft for the Little Butte engine has arrived and been put In place and a force of men are busily engaged In taking out ore. The Toronto, Canada, directors are expected to arrive at the mine early in April.” – The Herald

April 9, 1898: “At tho bottom of the main shaft of the Little Butte $43 rock is being taken out in large quantities. A rich pay streak. assaying in the thousands, runs through every level. This pay streak is narrow, but it will help materially to swell the profits
from the mine.” – The Herald

April 17, 1898: RANDSBURG MINES, RANDSBURO, April 15. — Mondayevening the directors of the Little Butte Mining and Milling Company arrived to visit the mine. Tuesday was spent in inspecting the property, and on Wednesday morning ground was broken for the erection of a two-stamp mill. The machinery has been ordered {or the mill, and is expected to arrive some time the coming week. company has a twenty-five horse power gasoline engine now in place for hoisting purposes, and this will furnish, all the power needed for both the mill and hoisting. This will reduce the cost of milling to such an extent that the company will be able to handle profitably a large quantity of low-grade ore which could not be sent to a custom mill. At the annual meeting, held on the 5th inst. in Los Angeles, the company was reorganized and the following officers and directors were elected: H. C. Oakley, president; P. E.Doolittle, vice-president; W. J. Clark, secretary and manager; B. N. Clark.  Warren Gilellen, I. C. Wood and J. W. Oakley, directors. E. Lee Allen, manager for the past year, has sold all his stock to Dr. P. E.Doolittle. Mr. Allen still holds his interest in the Little Butte extension and the Monkey Wrench mines. The companies representing the three have subscribed for one hundred horse power, to be furnished by the Kern-Rand company as soon as its plant is in operation.”  – The Herald

April 18, 1898: Little Butte –The Little Butte Is taking out some fine ore now. They have $45 rock in the bottom of the shaft, and there is a rich pay streak which is found on every level, that assays way up, going into the thousands in many instances. Of course this is a narrow streak, but it will bring the general average up very high. Again we say, the Little Butte is all right.—Randsburg Miner”  The Herald

April 25, 1898: “THE LATEST FROM RANDSBURG – RANDSBURG, April 23.—Work on the excavation for the stamp mill at the Little Butte mine is being pushed rapidly. The machinery has been ordered and will soon be here.” – The Herald

April 29, 1898: “AT THE RECENT ANNUAL MEETING of the Little Butte Mining Company in Los Angeles, the company was completely reorganized, and some important changes were made. E. Lee Allen has sold his entire interest to Dr. P. E. Doolittle of Toronto, who became vice-president and a director. The offices of the Company now are as follows: H. C. Oakley, president: Dr. P. E. Doolittle, vice president; W. J. Clark, secretary and general manager; The remaining directors are B. N. Clark, Warren Gillelen, J. C. Wood, and J. W. Oakley. The Randsburg Miner says it is the intention of the company to push the work of sinking the mine, and also to make changes that will redound to the good of the company. A two-stamp mill is to be erected at once, and this will soon be followed by a larger mill. .” – Los Angeles Daily Times

May 09, 1898: “Charles Eaton, a millwright who had charge of the building of the Johannesburg Reduction Works, has been engaged to take charge of the erection of the Little Butte mill and is already on the ground. Part of the framework is in place and before many weeks the stamps will be dropping on ore from the mine.”– The Herald

May 15, 1898: “W. J. Clark, manager of the Little Butte, returned Wednesday from a short visit to Ontario, and brought his family with him. – The Herald

May 27, 1898:  “THE NEW MILL OF THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE Is Now in Successful Operation – RANDSBURG, May 25. — H. C. Oakley of Ontario, president of the Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, spent the early part of the week at the mine. Tuesday afternoon the stamps of the new mill dropped for the first time. The machinery is all in place and working in good shape, but there are a few minor matters to see to before the stamps will commence dropping steadily on Little Butte ore. This mine has a large quantity of low grade ore on the dumps and a great deal in sight in the mine, which can be worked in their mill at a good profit. The stamps weigh 1000 pounds each and will drop 100 times in a minute. The mill is furnished with triple batteries. It is thought that when in good running order ore going $1 per ton can be milled with a small profit. Whether this be so or not, they will be able to handle very low grade ore, for the engine already in use at the mine for hoisting purposes will furnish the power for the stamps, and the engineers and assayer already at work in the mine can do the added work of the mill. The high grade rock will be sent away, as it will tax the capacity of the two stamps to handle the low grade ore already in sight at present. This is the first mine in the district to erect a mill on their property, but before many months pass others will have followed their example.” – The Herald

June 16, 1898: “The two-stamp mill recently erected by the Little Butte company commenced running in good earnest the latter part of the week. It is the intention of the management to keep the stamps dropping on ore that is being taken out and keep that in the ore house for a time when they may need a reserve supply to keep the mill running. On the evening of the first day’s run there was $300 of the yellow metal on the plates. ” – The Herald

June 25, 1898: MR. ALLEN WILL RETURN—There is no better evidence of the true value of a camp than the return of the old timers, after having invested in other places.  Mr. E. Lee Allen, after an absence of about four months, we learn upon good authority,  is about to return and begin development work on some new properties, and his past record in the camp is a guarantee that whatever he takes hold of will possess merit and be developed into a paying mine.  For a year and a half Mr. Allen has been one of our most active, energetic and untiring citizens, and has made some of the largest mining transactions ever made in the camp.

Through energy, foresight and good judgment Mr. Allen has accumulated a fortune, yet he is of the opinion that the camp has not yet given up its richest treasures.  In our last conversation with the gentleman, some weeks ago, he expressed the opinion that the best of the mineral deposits of the Rand and surrounding districts had not yet been uncovered and said at that time, that he would return here later and take the matter of development up again, and we have no doubt as to his ability to produce even better results than he has in the past.

While Mr. Allen has been better known in his connection with the Little Butte mine, yet he has other interests here and in adjoining districts that are known to be very valuable, and we understand it is the development of these that he returns to look after.

Mr. Allen has never been connected with worthless, wildcat enterprises, and we are glad to learn that he is coming back to take up development work again, for it means much to the camp and its future to have these large enterprises in the hands of men who are above the petty attempts so often undertaken, to make a mine where there is nothing to warrant it.  Mr. Allen home, and rejoice that he is again to be with us.  Randsburg Miner

July 20, 1898: “Civil Engineer Gervaise Purcell came down from Randsburg on Monday with the news that Little Butte had struck eighty dollar sulphuret ore at a depth of 400 feet. This has caused a renewal of activity among the other properties, and orders have been given to the superintendents of several mines to sink their shafts deep. Mr. Purcell is an engineer of varied accomplishments. He was one of the first to go to Japan, and was in the service of that country for many years, having in charge the construction of the railways for the government. He is one of the few men in the city who can use the Japanese tongue as well as his own language. Subsequently he became a rancher in the San Gabriel valley, but with the depreciation in the wine trade his vineyard became unsatisfactory, and he resumed the practice of his profession in this city. The owners of the Little Butte had secured an inspection from a noted eastern expert, who had advised them that he thought there was nothing in the property. Some of them, however, induced Purcell to go over the location. Purcell advised them to go ahead, telling them that at about the present depth he thought they would strike just what they have. Matters in the mining way at this camp had been for some time depressed, but this news has already brought about a revival of activity in all lines. It is thought probable that all the mines there will add increased value by going deep. This principle in mining in southern California was first tried with boldness by Henry Gage at his Acton mine, and resulted In things more substantial than a gubernatorial boom.” – The Herald

July 24, 1898: “On The shaft of the gasoline engine at the Little Butte mine broke a few days ago, and the mine has been closed down until a new one can be made and put in place. It is expected that work will be resumed about the 10th of August. This is the second time this year that the same accident has happened, and it is due to the watchfulness of the engineer, George Reynolds, that there was no damage done to machinery or building beyond the breaking of the shaft. The ledge in the drift at the 450-foot level is four feet wide.” – The Herald

July 26, 1898: “The most important find in the camp so far has been the new strike of sulphurets ore in the Little Butte, at a depth of 500 feet. The ore body shows a five-foot vein of dark, close-grained, bluish-looking quartz, and mills about $15 free gold, with the sulphurets worth about fss per ton. More than anything else it shows the permanency of the ledges as for the pitch of that ore chute the same vein passes under the Kinyon and Wedge, only at a greater depth.  The Little Butte people are feeling mighty good over their prospects and  employees take renewed courage.—Randsburg Miner.” – The Herald

Sept 10, 1898: “Messrs. Wood. Oakley and Doollttle, directors of the Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, arrived in camp Wednesday evening, and after thoroughly inspecting the mine, left for home Friday evening. They expressed themselves as very much pleased with the work done since they were last here. These gentlemen are also interested in the Little Butte Extension, and were accompanied by another director of that mine. It was decided to commence work on that mine at once. A lease was also let to Percy McMahon of the Wedge to sink 100 feet and drift 100 feet each way.” – The Herald

JULY 18, 1898: “THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE struck a good body of rich ore at a depth of 500 feet a few days ago. The ore is close-grained and hard, with a bluish cast, and the ledge is five feet wide and getting wider in the drift. This is the deepest strike from the surface in the camp, and the nearness to the Kinyon and Wedge mines makes it almost certain that the same ledge runs across both. It is not entirely free-milling but about $15 per son is free and the sulpherets are worth nearly $100 per ton. Mining men say it is the most important find so far made in the range.  The engine at the Little Butte works gave out yesterday and work will be suspended both at the mill and in the mine until a new shaft can go in to replace the broken one. It is a precisely similar break to the two at the mill in Johannesburg, where, in each case, the wheel and part of the shaft flew out through the side of the building, the Little Butte engineer being fortunate enough to notice the crack before it went to pieces. .” – Los Angeles Daily Times

February 13, 1898: “W. J. CLARK of Ontario arrived here on Tuesday and will have charge of Little Butte affairs during the absence of Superintendent Allen In the east.” – The Herald

August 10, 1898: “THE NEW SHAFT, to replace the one recently broken at the Little Butte, is daily expected. As soon as it arrives work will begin at both the mine and the mill. ” – The Herald

September 02, 1898: “MINES AND MINERS The Rand District – RANDSBURG, Aug. 27.—New strikes seem to be the order of the day in the Rand mining district. The early part of this week another find was made in the Little Butte mine. Men have been working for some time, stoping in the western drift at the 380-foot level, and have been taking out good ore. In one of their daily tours through the mine Manager Clark and Foreman Meade took occasion to examine more closely the footwall in this drift, and to their surprise they found a rich body of ore fourteen Inches wide in the bottom of the drift, about fifty feet from the shaft. The ore extends clear across the drift and lay under the track of the car. In a six-days run of ore through their two-stamp mill they cleaned up $1,100 in bullion. Another shaft about 200 feet to the east is being sunk, and when the 280-foot level is reached a drift will be run to connect with the eastern drift from the main shaft at that level.” – The Herald

September 2, 1898: “LAST WEEK THE CLEAN UP at the Little Butte mine from a six-day run was $1100. The ore on the foot wall at the 380 foot level is from twelve to fourteen inches wide.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

September 18, 1898:  “The ground has been cleared and work commenced sinking shaft No. 8 on the Little Butte. The shaft! will be four and a half by eight feet in the clear, and will be made a double compartment working shaft. At a depth of 285 feet it will be connected by a drift with a drift at that level from shaft No. L During the month of August their two stamp mill cleaned up over $3500, working only about half the month, owing to the repairing of the engine. The Little Butte Company cleared $1800 over and above expenses during August. — The Herald

September 18, 1898: “H. C. OAKLEY AND DR. DOOLITTLE, directors of the Little Butte, arrived last evening. It is probable that during this visit some decision will be arrived at regarding the addition to the milling plant. The two-stamp mill is entirely inadequate to handle the ore now being taken out, and a ten-stamp mill is being talked of. The basic character of the rock in the lower levels will require some treatment besides that of the stamp mill. At the bottom of the main shaft, 530 feet, the ore body is six feet wide and the foot wall has not yet been found. — The Herald

September 26, 1898: “THE LITTLE BUTTE people begin today a 100-ton shipment to Barstow.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

October 03, 1898:  “In the Little Butte they are down nearly 560 feet, and so far as known there is nine feet of $20 ore. The shaft is six feet wide and is going down on the hanging wall; but though prospected for several times, the foot wall has not been broken into. The company’s two-stamp mill was unable to handle all the ore extracted last week, and the surplus was sent to the Johannesburg mill. The output from the two-stamp mill last week was over $700, more than enough to pay the expenses of running the mine and mill. A dividend was declared by the company last month, and one for September will also probably be declared. ” – The Herald

October 03, 1898:  “The Big Butte and Kinyon are employing their regular forces and taking out some good ore, but the strictest reticence is maintained regarding the amount and its value. The Wedge, Big Butte, G. B., Little Butte and several other claims are shipping their low-grade dumps to the Barstow mill. The rate is $2.50 per ton for hauling and milling—offered by the Barstow company is an inviting rate, and will be taken advantage of by many owners of low-grade properties should the company continue to give satisfaction. Up to the present time no fault has been found with their work and the results have been very pleasing.” –The Herald

October 03, 1898:  “Painfully Injured John Bradley was painfully injured Monday by an explosion in the Little Butte mine. He touched off a blast in one of the slopes and while proceeding to climb out of the way the ladder which he was on broke loose from its fastenings and dropped him to the ground, and before he could get out of harm’s way the shot went off, filling his scalp, face and neck with small pieces of rock and badly bruising his right arm.” –The Herald

November 21, 1898:  “The Little Butte is working $15 ore on the 530-foot level.”  — The Sun

March 1899: “ADJOINING THE KINYON MINE  on the west lies the Little Butte.  This property was purchased by E. Lee Allen, in January 1897, from the original locators.  He immediately incorporated a company under the name of The Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, with the following officers: J. W. Clark, president; H. C. Oakley, Vice President; E. Lee Allen, secretary and manager; Broadway Bank, Treasurer.  While there had never been anything found on the claim up to that time, Mr. Allen was of the opinion that the outcroppings of the Butte, Kinyon, and Wedge mines, which seemed to run through this property, must carry tons of the rich ore that those mines were producing.  The new company immediately put men to work and at 130 feet they struck the anticipated and long-looked-for ledge, showing good foot and hanging walls, the ledge varying in width from eighteen inches to two feet.
It was the opinion of most everyone that Mr. Allen was throwing his money away, but the development of the mine has proven that he knew what he was doing.  The mine began to produce as depth continued; however, the work done thereon was moderate for several months, but as the vein continued to improve, they put up a mill on the mine and began work on a large scale.

At the present time the officers of the company are: H. C. Oakley, president; Dr. P. E. Doolittle, vice president; W. J. Clark, secretary; Broadway Bank, treasurer; and H. B. Meade, superintendent, under whose able management the mine is now being operated.

The main shaft goes down on an incline of 45 degrees.  No drifting was done until a depth of 284 feet was made, at which point they drifted to the west 48 feet and found the good ore continued.  At this point some stoping was done and considerable money taken out, the ledge averaging about five feet.  At 321 feet a drift was made 160 feet to the east, and toward the Kinyon mine, with which it connected.  At this point some stoping was done, and the ore was found even richer than above.  To fully prospect the ledge they also drifted 34 feet to the west and found the good ore continued.At the 378-foot point, a level or drift was run, east 105 feet, In doing this they found the largest body of ore they had yet come in contact with.  From this they raised to the level above; they also run a short drift to the west, and found the good ore still continued.

It stands to the credit of this company that they have done much systematic development work and it is probable one of the best-developed properties in the district.  By this is meant its levels are run at proper intervals; its shafts are as near straight as they can be made, and yet adhere some to the tip of the vein, and until recently, while they had taken out some considerable high-grade ore, there has been no contiguous body of it, and they have been working to open up the main vein.  This they ran into at the 480-foot level, and are now working in as handsome a body of sulphide as has yet been exposed in the camp, some of it running up into the hundreds, but with $20 to $25 rock on a vein fifteen to twenty feet wide, there need be no question as to the future of the Little Butte property.

At this time they have the main shaft down 520 feet, and the body of ore above described still holds out about the same.  At the 520 foot level they are now drifting both east and west and taking out a vast amount of ore with which they keep their own mill going night and day, and furnish a large quantity to the Eureka Mill, located near them, and the Red Dog mill at Johannesburg.  The mill has been kept running on their own ore since its completion, and has proved very satisfactory.

It is a two stamp Llewellyn mill, built in Los Angeles at the Llewellyn Iron Works, and from present indication man be pronounced a decided success.  The stamps are of 1000 pound weight each, the battery have triple discharge; the motive power is furnished by the twenty-five horse power gasoline engine that has heretofore been use solely of hoisting purposes, and this gives ample power to run the stamps, the ore crusher and the hoisting machinery at the present depth.  It will thus be plainly demonstrated that while the stamps are heavy and the mill in every way up to the requirements of heavy work, it is still a very light running-piece of machinery.  When all is running along at the regulation speed, the stamps make about 100 drops per minute, their fall of course being regulated by the character of the ore being treated.
The company is now thinking very strongly of adding a cyanide plant to it.  Their active work has been not only financially beneficial to themselves, but the great depth attained and the finding of sulphide ore proves that the mines of the district “go down.”

Little Butte Extension Mining Company Stock Certificate. Although seperatly incorporated it was owned by the same owners as the Little Butte. Collection of the Rand Desert Museum

The company also own the several claims adjoining them on the north and west, known as the Little Butte Extension, Monkey Wrench, and Independence Group; and as the vein croppings are shown on them all, there is no doubt the same ledge on which they have made such great discoveries in the Little Butte continues in them.”  — McPherson

March 3, 1899: “THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE is taking out some exceptionally rich ore now and the outlook for that company is decidedly better than for sometime past.  They now have paying ore in nearly all their levels.”  – The Daily Californian

January 16, 1900: “LITTLE BUTTE STARTS UP.  Rare Good News for the People of Randsburg.  Randsburg, Jan. 14.—The familiar sound I of the Little Butte engines is again heard on the hill. The mine has been shut down for several months, owing to a disagreement amongst the stockholders. About two weeks ago Dr. Doolittle of Toronto, Canada, came to Randsburg and nTa3e a thorough investigation into the state of affairs. He then went to Los Angles and conferred with the stockholders, with the result that he started up the mine. The doctor is to have control for three months, during which time he is to spend several thousand dollars in making a thorough examination of the mine. If at the end of three months the doctor reports favorably upon the mine, the old company will be reorganized, new capital invested, and the mine will be worked steadily. The mine is patented, and nearly all the stock is owned in Canada. It is located on the same belt as the Kinyon, Wedge and Butte, and there is little doubt but that the mine contains good ore. There are already several shafts, “drifts, etc., and a mill upon the mine.” – Los Angeles Herald

January 30, 1900:  “Dr. P. E. Doolittle, who is managing the Little Butte, has returned, via Los Angeles and Nelson, B. C., to Toronto, Canada. He is expected back in a month, when rumor has it that a much larger force will be put to work on the mine.” – Los Angeles Herald

May 26, 1900: “A BAR OF GOLD weighing 63 ½ ounces, worth $16 per ounce, amounting to $1016, was shown us yesterday evening by Superintendent McMahon, taken from 24 tons of ore from the Little Butte, and average of $42.25 per ton.  Mr. McMahon thinks the prospect good to make amine of the Little Butte yet.  The bar was milled at the Red Dog mill and the ore was taken from west of the shaft and about 200 feet below the surface.”  — Randsburg Miner

December 8, 1900: “THE CYANIDE PLANT at the Black Hawk mine is to be moved up to the Little Butte mine and the tailings worked up.”  — Randsburg Miner

January 1904: 235 vertical shaft, 50 and 586 foot incline shafts, 2500 feet of drifts.  Two stamp mill powered by a gasoline engine.  Owned by Consolidated Mines Co. – Aubrey

May 4, 1905: :TAYLOR AND GIONDONI are taking some good ore out of the Little Butte.”  — Randsburg Miner

March 1, 1906: “CHAS. TAYLOR AND HENRY GIONDONI have leased the 600 feet of the east end of the Little Butte mine to Jan. 1, 1907, including the machinery shaft and buildings.  – Randsburg Miner

1915:  “LITTLE BUTTE, consists of 60 acres in the Rand District in Sec. 35, T. 29 S., R. 40 E.., M. D. M. about1 mile west of Johannesburg, at an elevation of 3500 feet. Owners, Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, of Los Angeles; C. W. Clark, president; Dr. J. W.  Oakley, secretary, R. F. Dickenson, superintendent.  Vein 4 feet wide, free milling, diorite footwall and porphyry hanging.  Workings consist of a shaft 610 feet deep and 3500 feet of drifts.   Equipment consists of 25 h. p. gasoline hoist, skip,   cars and 2-stamp mill.  Distillate, costing 20 cents per gallon, used for fuel.  Ore shipped to Red Dog custom mill.  Worked since 1907 by lessees.   A production record of $150,000 is claimed.” – G. Chester Brown

October 13, 1923: “RICH STRINGER VEIN IS FOUND—Just about 300 yards north of Butte Avenue, the Hallford brothers E. and A., local prospectors, picked up a rich stringer vein at the grass roots on the Little Butte mining company’s ground, west of the main shaft and workings of that company.  No time was lost in seeking and securing a lease for a term of 12 months, with a very liberal allotment of ground, 600 by 600 feet.  Late Wednesday afternoon the boys opened up a nice five-inch seam of iron stained vein matter intermixed with gold bearing quartz that they are now sacking; pannings from either the fines or quartz return coarse, bright and clean virgin gold, the kind that shows no flower character but heavy, solid, coarse metal that always can be counted on as bringing $18 per ounce from the U. S. mint.”—Bakersfield Californian

February 19, 1924: “Superintendent and Mrs. B. D. Beverstock of the Little Butte mine are taking in the Fourteenth Annual Orange show at San Bernardino.”—Bakersfield California

Little Butte Mine Circa 1922. Looking West With El Paso Mountains in Back Ground. Photo From Southern Sierra Power Co. Report, Courtesy of Betty Hadley

March 1925:  “THE LITTLE BUTTE MINE, owned by the Little Butte Mining and Milling Company, is located across the gulch just north or Randsburg.  The property is developed by a single compartment incline shaft 600 feet deep, as measured on the incline, and by 1800 feet of drifts, distributed among nine levels.” – Southern Sierra Power Company Report

August 24, 1925:  “Little Butte Lease—Frank Bacon and his partner are doing some good shooting on their Little Butte lease.  As this is good ground, and round may bring in the bacon.” – Bakersfield Californian

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top