MINNEHAHA

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

Summary:

The Minnehaha Has the Distinction of Being the Only Mine In the Rand District That has Stayed in the Possesion of the Family of One of The Original Owners. -- Troxel & Morton

1962: LOCATION – Sec. 3, T30S, R40E. MDM, Rand District, 1.1/4 miles southwest of Randsburg on the North flank of Government Peak.  Ownership 1957: Miss Rose Maginnis, and estates of ____Hansen and J. T. O’Leary own six patented claims (Minnehaha, Sunshine, Rustler, San Diego, Augnes, and Skyscraper, and two unpatented claims (Esparanza and Best Bet).

The Minnehaha mine has been worked entirely by lessees, and had been intermittently active since its discovery in July 1895.  Its principal periods of activity are 1895-1923, and 1931-41.  Estimated production through 1925 was $100,000.  Some of the ore contained as much as $120 in gold per ton.  Most of the ore was milled in the Red Dog and Windy mills near Johannesburg.

The west workings consist of two short west-driven crosscut adits, a few tens of feet of drifts, and short underhand stopes.

The central workings consists of two principal shafts on the westernmost vein in the area, and four or five other shafts.  The deepest shaft extends to 300 feet.  The others are from 50 to 150 feet deep.  Short crosscut and drift adits were also driven in the central area.  The underground workings in this area probably aggregate several hundred feet of workings.

The northeast workings consist mostly of a southwest driven drift adit above and below which several stopes extent.  A vertical shaft of undetermined depth was sunk northeast of the drift-adit portal to intersect the vein in the vicinity of the mine access road.  –Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology County Report

Chronology:

January 18, 1896; “MESSRS. KELLY AND MONTGOMERY melted up a button which they dry washed out of the O’Leary and McGinnis claim last week which weighed $135.”  – Californian

April 1, 1897:  “THE MINNEHAHA, one and a half miles southwest, owned by McGinnis, Hanson, and O’Leary, is showing up well.  They are sinking a double compartment shaft, and have a vein of ore running from two to four feet, which mills $60 per ton.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

May 1897: THE CALIFORNIAN RAND  Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897.  It was discovered in August of 1895.  The owners were E. B. Mcginnis, H. B. Hausen, and J. T. O’ Leary.”  – Overland Magazine

July 11, 1897: “IF EVER THERE WAS A CLAIM in this world which presented phenomenal features it is the Minnehaha.  How the name it bears happened to be selected for this mine I did not hear, but it was indeed, most happily chosen, for it may be said to be a mass of laughing Ledges running parallel to each other in a southeasterly and northwesterly direction.  The property lies to the west of the Big Rand Mountain, and contains five well defined ledges, all of which have been uncovered nearly their entire length.  The Minnehaha is owned chiefly by the same parties who own the Wedge and Rand properties.  They only acquired it a few weeks ago, but they lost no time in putting on force of men to find out what there was in it.  They are working it day and night, running three shifts of eight hours each.  They have started their shaft near the top of the hill on which the mine is located, and between the third and fourth ledges, and will go down seventy-five feet.  They are at the same time running a tunnel from the south side to tap the shaft.  By this they will cross-cut the three ledges on the south side, and then continue the tunnel through the hill out its north side, a distance altogether of about 400 feet or more.  Good things are expected of the Minnehaha, and if surface indications are any criteria as to what is below, this mine will show up immensely rich for it is converged on every side with great chunks of float ore which would pay to crush, and in some of which free gold is plainly visible.”  Los Angeles Daily Times

July 25, 1897: “WORK ON  THE MINNEHAHA was again resumed today under a new management.  This time it is C. E. Ferris and George M. Rigdon who own one half the bond, and who put up the $3000 paid the owners on Monday last, together with Hubbell, Pauly and Reed, who took the bond for $15,000 on the property in the first place.  Work will be vigorously pushed , and from every indication the mine, or series of mines,  as it seems to be, are very rich, and it is pretty clear that long before six months expire, the date at which the balance of the purchase money must be paid, many times this amount with be taken out.  Maginnis, O’Leary, and Hanson are the original owners, and they have now been paid $3000.” — Los Angeles Daily Times

September 11, 1897: “THIS PROPERTY LIES ON THE WEST of the Big Rand Mountain, and contains a number of well-defined ledges, crossing it in a northwesterly and southwesterly direction.  An incline is now down about ninety feet on a vein which has a uniform width of from three to four feet, and which has prospected well from the surface.  About ten days ago a streak or ore was uncovered which proved very rich, and from what work has been done on the incline since then it is believed it is believed that the streak is a portion of a permanent ledge; which will widen out as it goes down.  The mine is about two and one-half miles southwest of Randsburg, in the direction of Garlock, and is under the management of F. L. Ransdall.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

September 27, 1897: “The Minnehaha mine, in the same neighborhood, made a shipment of ore this week to Cuddyback Lake. Returns from the mill run have not yet been, received, but they will probably be large, as very rich rock has been encountered.” – The Herald

October 18, 1897:The Minnehaha has just had a mill run of a sample lot of ore which ran over $100 per ton. They have a large mill run nearly ready for shipment.” – The Herald

The Minnehaha Mine Pictured to the Right As It Appeared in 1897 is One Of the Few Mines, If Not The Only One to Remain In the Family (McGinnis) Of the Original Finder . Los Angeles Herald, October 31, 1897

October 31, 1897: “THE MINNEHAHA, This promising mine is situated 2 1/2 miles east by south of Randsburg, and was formerly owned by Messrs, McGinnis, O’Leary and Hansen. It was bonded last August by Messrs. C. E. Ferris and G. M. Rigden of Los Angeles for $15,000, of which $3500 was paid cash down. The ore is free-milling gold and mill tests show it to run over $100 to the ton. An incline shaft goes down 100 feet; thence drifting is being done, following the ledge on both sides 15 feet and 10 in the northeast and southwest. The ledge at this point is uniformly three feet wide, but five ledges have been opened up on different parts of the claim, all showing free gold. There is an immense body of ore in sight. There are two tunnels also on the claim, each 25×10 feet in length, and ore chutes are being worked on the surface, these having been discovered at 85 feet depth in the incline shaft and been traced thence to the surface. One thousand dollars were taken from these ore chutes alone. ” – The Herald

November 22, 1897: “A good strike was made in the northeast drift on the 100-foot level of the Minnehaha at Randsburg the other day. When a fine three-foot vein of rich ore was encountered that is now being sacked for shipment.” – The Herald

November 22, 1897: “A number of Los Angeles men have recently invested considerable money in this district in mining properties, and among them Edward Everson, the well-known artist, who has purchased one thirtieth interest In the Minnehaha mine for $500 also one-quarter Interest each in the Jessie and Night, Shadeclaims. Mr. Everson is very conservative, and made over a month’s careful investigation before becoming interested in the district, which is complimentary to Randsburg.” – The Herald

November 27, 1897: “F. L. RANDSALL, superintendent of the Minnehaha mine, Randsburg, is in the city for a few days.” – The Herald

January 28, 1898: The Minnehaha mine bond has reverted to the original owners, Messrs. Maginnis. Leary & Hansen, much to the gratification of the owners, being a very promising property. ” – The Herald

January 31, 1898: “The Minnehaha mine at Randsburg is in litigation. According to a complaint filed a few days ago, C. E. Ferris had bonded the property for $15,000, had made one payment, and spent $4000 in development work, and when the final payments were offered the owners refused to give a deed. The mine belongs to E. B. Maginis, H. P. Hansen and T. J. O’Leary.” – The Herald

March 1899: “THIS PROMISING MINE is owned by three of the early pioneers of the Rand district, having been located by Messrs. R. B. Maginnis, Jerry O’Leary and H. G. Hanson. It is two and one half miles west by south of the town of Randsburg on the direct line or strike of the present large produceA Large amount of work has been performed, which shows up and immense body of ore.

Shaft No. 1, as shown on the outline map of the western portion of the district, is down 150 feet.  At this depth drifts have been run east and west in good ore the entire distance, the width of the vein being about four feet.  The average value of the ore is about $20.00 per ton. Mill test of assorted ore, however, have produced as high as $100 to the ton.

In July, 1897, the claim was sold to Messrs. Ferris and Rigdon of Los Angeles for the sum of $15,000, a first payment of $3,000 being made.  Owing to financial difficulties the other payments were forfeited and the property reverted back to the original owners, who have since been working it successfully.

At a recent milling by the Red Dog mill at Johannesburg, twenty tons netted the handsome profit of $40 per ton.

The owners of this property, being men of moderate means, have not been able to put up the necessary machinery for the purpose of working the mine on a large scale, but as the development work already accomplished warrants the erection of a suitable plant, for the economical handling of the ore, and as the property is already on a paying basis, it is expected that the Minnehaha will soon be thoroughly equipped.

Besides the valuable property Messrs. Maginnis, Hanson, and O’Leary are the owners of other good mines, among them being the Rustler and San Diego, owned by O’Leary and Maginnis, and the War Eagle owned by Mr. Hanson. They are jointly interested in the Defender, Sky Scraper, Civil Standard, Little Bonanza, and Paymaster.”  – McPherson

January 30, 1900:  “The Minnehaha owners have struck a good ledge of ore, and will have it milled at Johannesburg.” – Los Angeles Herald

April 28, 1900: “NOTICE OF FORFEITURE, filed by J. W. Kelly against E. T. Garlock and Jas Willhouse  stating “ You are hereby notified that I have expended during the 1899, one hundred dollars in labor and improvements on the Minnietta, Mine, located January 3, 1898 in the Rand Mining district, County of Kern, State of California, record in the Kern County Records at Bakersfield, in order to hlod such claim under the provisions of section 2324 of the revised statues of the United States and the amendments thereto approved Jan. 22, 1880, concerning the annual labor upon mining claims , being the amount required to hold said lode for the period ending December 31, 1889.  And if within ninety (90) days form the personal service of this notice, or withing ninety days after the publication thereof you fail or refuse to contribute your portion of such expenditure as co-0wner your interest in the said claim will become the property of the subscriber, your co-oowner, who has acquired the same by purchase and deed, and who has made the required expenditure by the terms of sail secction.   Dated this 7th day of April, 1900.”  – Randsburg Miner

August 15, 1902: “MINNIHAHA—Eight men are running a tunnel on this mine at Randsburg.”  — The Engineering and Mining Journal

October 3, 1903: “N. JOHNSON AND P. JENSEN have a lease on the Minnehaha mine and have begun work.”  — The Mining and Scientific Press

January 1904: MINNEHAHA–Owned by S. B. Gregory.  – Aubrey

March 5, 1904: “JERRY O’LEARY, one of the owners of the Minnehaha, exhibited a very rich specimen this week taken from the Minnehaha lead.  A conservative estimate makes it a $60,000 specimen.  The lead from which the specimen was taken is about a foot wide and averages about $60.  The owners of the property are Messrs. O’Leary,  Maginnis and Hansen.”  – Randsburg Miner

April 9, 1904: “MESSERS. JENSEN, JOHNSON, AND KANE are leasing on the Minnehaha.”  — Randsburg Miner

April 16, 1904: “MESSERS. JOHNBSON AND PATTERSONMessrs. had a mill run this week at Snow’s mill.”  — Randsburg Miner

March 22, 1906:  “GEO. AND HARRY SWARTHOUT AND B.B. SUMMMERS are taking some rich ore out of the Minnehaha and expect to have a milling soon.  The Minnehaha lies just west of the Yellow Aster mines and some of the richest ore ever taken out in the camp came from this mine.”  — Randsburg Miner

1915; “MINNEHAHA, a small producer of the Rand District, consists of 80 acres in Sec. 2. T. 29 S., R. 40 E. M. D. M, about 3 miles west of Johannesburg, at an elevation of 3800 feet.  Owners, E. B. Maginnis et. al., of Randsburg.  Small vein, high grade ore, milling $100 per ton.  Workings consist of four tunnels, each 400 feet long, and four shafts each 100 deep.  Ore reduced in Red Dog custom mill.  Three men employed.  Production to date $35,000.” – G. Chester Brown

January 25, 1923: Pierce and Allen are hauling a milling bunch of ore from the Minnehaha to the Black Hawk mill.” Bakersfield Californian

February 10, 1923: ‘Leasers from the Minnhaha had a small milling at the Black Hawk.” – Bakersfield Californian

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top