SANTA ANA, NAPOLEON, AND YUCCA MINES

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

February 20, 1897: “EX-COUNCILMAN F. S. MUNSON OF LOS ANGELES is here looking after his interest in the Santa Ana, Napoleon, and Mercedes, all in the same neighborhood or where the above work has been done.  These are good properties.  A good deal of work has been done on the two former and they have considerable ore sacked on the dump, but so far have milled none.”  –Los Angeles Daily Times

July 11, 1897:  “NAPOLEON AND YUCCA TREE– These two mines together with the Santa Ana and the Mercedes, are the property of the Santa Ana Mining Company, not incorporated, and are also situated in the Stringer district.  They are under the management of F. V. Layton, a man who has found the time to read much concerning mining, while at the same time his knowledge of mines and the best way to work them is of the most practical character. He is at present sinking a shaft on the Napoleon ground, and is now down about seventy feet.  When down 150 he proposed to tunnel away from the Napoleon shaft to the Yucca Tree ground, and work the latter from it.  The ore taken from the Napoleon ground runs from $155 up to $200 a ton, and so far has not averaged below $80.  Up to the present time between $10,000 $12000 have been taken from the Napoleon.  About a month ago the owners of this group bought the Yucca Tree mine from Koehn and O’Brien, but have not done anything on it, their intention being as I have stated, to work it from the Napoleon shaft.  The ore from this latter is crushed at the Cuddeback mill, where in fact, the greater part of the ore from the Stringer district is sent, and which, as all unite in saying, does admirable work.’  – Los Angeles Daily Times

1897: THE NAPOLEON, under the superintendence of Frank Layton, is being developed into a good paying property.  A run of sixteen tons of ore has just been treated at the Cuddeback Lake Mill, which produced $2600.  John Quinn gets everything out of the rock that it contains, evidently.”  –  The Daily Californian

September 11, 1897:  “ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE STRINGER DISTRICT and a short two miles from Randsburg, are situated three mines, called the Napoleon Group, belonging to the Santa Ana Mining Company of which the principal shareholders are; A. S. Munson, F. S. Munson, G. Pridham and F. V. Layton, the latter being the superintendent. A large amount of good solid work has been don on these properties, but chiefly on the Napoleon and Santa Ana.  Two shafts, ninety feet in depth have been sunk on the Napoleon, connected by a 100-foot drift.  The ore has steadily improved as it went down.  One run of ore of sixteen tons from this mine gave returns of $3000, and the mill assays of the ore now being taken show from $172 to $190 to the ton.  With a force of five men they took out $7000 in six weeks.  The large amount of gold taken from this mine and others adjoining it would seem to almost conclusively prove that this Stinger section will prove one of the richest in the whole district.  At present they are working ten men in the Napoleon.

At the Santa Ana the main shaft is down seventy feet and they are still sinking.  There are two other shafts down on this property forth feet deep, and both are in ore which runs about $80 to the tone.  Four men are being worked on this mine, and while ore is being taken out, the principle object in view is the further development of it.

The Yucca Tree adjoins the Napoleon on the West Side.  When Mr. Munson and his associates (there company is not an incorporated one) purchased these three mines, the Yucca tree was being worked under a lease, which does not expire until November 1 next.  On that date they will enter into possesion of it and work it in conjunction with their other two.  The ore being taken from it is said to average well up to that of the Napoleon.”  – Los Angeles  Daily Times

November 4, 1897: “OWNERS OF THE MERCEDES (SIC) NAPOLEON, SANTA ANA, AND YUCCA TREE mines in the Stringer district have incorporated under the name and style of the Napoleon Consolidated Mining Company.  Up to the present time about $24,000 has been taken from these mines.  Of this sum, $3000 has been used for the purchase of the Yucca Tree, all the expenses of development have been met and paid, and a dividend of $1200 has been declared and paid.  The company mills the ore at Cuddeback Lake.  The company has been operating about eleven months.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

November 17, 1897: “ P. S., Munson has disposed of 500,000 shares of stock in the Napoleon Consolidated Mining Company.” – The Los Angeles Herald

December 19, 1897:  “Ex-Councilman F. S. Munson of Los Angeles, one of the owners of the Napoleon group of mines, is here, accompanied by his brother, A. S. Munson.” –The Herald

February 20, 1898: “The Napoleon, over in the Stringer country, three miles north of Randsburg, has produced $40,000 the past year from a shaft not yet down 150 feet, and is not for sale at any price.” – San Francisco Call

March 7, 1898: “THE NAPOLEON, in the Stringer district, is down 160 feet with $100 ore at the bottom.  The company has never milled ore from that mine that went less than $100 to the ton.”  -- Los Angeles Daily Times

March 22, 1898:  “FROM THE NAPOLEON, owned by Pridham, Munson and Lacy, twenty five tons have just been hauled to the Eureka mill.  This ore is very rich, and will not run less than $100 per ton and may go much better.  This mine is down 160 feet deep and no ore has ever yet been milled from it that did not go over $100.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

April 4, 1898: “A RUN OF TWENTY THREE TONS of ore from the Napoleon mine cleaned up a little more than $160 per ton.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

May 27, 1898:  “THE STRINGER DISTRICT is now proving the richest part of the Rand Mining District, and no portion of it has produced better that the Napoleon, owned by Pridham, Munsons & Layton.  The main shaft is now down 170 feet, with richer rock at the bottom than ever.  In the whole distance the shaft has paid $70 per foot.  The ore is the most absolutely free milling ore in the district.” – Los Angeles Daily Times

June 14, 1898:  “At the Ophir mill the Santa Ana has just had a clean-up, resulting in a $140 brick from two and one-half tons of ore. The same mill has just had a mill run of 100 tons from Burcham No. 1 and are at work on another 50-ton lot from the same mine.” – The Herald

July 24, 1898: A little run of 3225 pounds of ore from the Yucca Tree mine just treated at the Willard mill at Cuddeback lake cleaned up $432. This figures up $205 per ton, and is good enough for any camp to be proud of. — Randsburg Miner. ” – The Record Union

September 23, 1898:  “THE EUREKA MILL at Randsburg crushed four tons of ore from La Crosse mine in the Stringer district last week which went over $150 per ton.  That mill also crushed tons of ore from the Napoleon, which averaged $100 per ton.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

December 9, 1899:  “A SMALL RUN OF RICH ORE from the Napoleon mine was recently made.  There were nine tons, which went over $100 to the ton.” –Corona Courier

1900: “THE NAPOLEON MINE may properly be classed as one of the leading, if not the principal mine of the Stringer district.  About three years ago the Napoleon Consolidated Mining Company was formed, which acquired by purchase the group of mines known as the Napoleon group, consisting of the Napoleon, Santa Ana, Yucca Tree and Mercedes

The principal amount of work has been done on three of these, namely Napoleon, Yucca Tree, and Santa Ana.

They have been worked to the depth of 120 feet on the Yucca Tree, and 100 feet on the Santa Ana.

Work is being confined by the company at present to the Napoleon and the main shaft is down 165 feet. .”  — Randsburg Miner

May 19, 1900: NOTICE OF FORFEITURE filed by John W. Foren against Archie Cruse upon the Santa Ana Lode mine  – Randsburg Miner

September 8, 1900:  “THE BOONE LEASE on the Santa Ana is turning out a surprisingly large amount of high grade ore. Nine men are employed.”—Randsburg Miner

September 8, 1900: “THE NAPOLEON MINE owners are planing to sink their main shaft to a great depth in order to explore thoroughly their territory, on which the Santa Ana Claim forms a very important part.”  – Randsburg Miner

September 15, 1900: “THE CLEAN UP OF BOONE & RICKETTS from the Santa Ana mine milled at the Red Dog mill went nearly $50 per ton.

George Sanderson had twelvet tons of ore from the Santa Ana milled at the Red Dog mill which averaged the same as that of Boone & Ricketts.”  — Randsburg Miner

October 27, 1900:  “SANTA ANA has 40 tons of ore at the Red Dog Mill to be milled.”  — Randsburg Miner

August 10, 1902:  “THE RED DOG MILL has just finished a milling of twenty-five tons from the Santa Ana which went $80 to the ton.  There are now no leases in either the Santa Ana or Napoleon, the Napoleon Consolidated Mining Company which owns these properties doing the work themselves.” –Corona Courier

October 10, 1903: “A company has been incorporated having for its purpose the’ opening of the Santa Ana lead at Randsburg.” – San Francisco Call

March 09, 1913: “A small milling of 6 3-4 tons from the Yucca Tree, situated in the stringer district west of Randsburg, yielded a gold brick of $225. Thomas Churcher has been leasing for several years on  this property, owned by the Stanford Mining and Reduction company of Los Angeles.—Randsburg Miner.” – San Francisco Call

January 1904: “NAPOELEON–Developed by 200 foot vertical shaft, 1000 foot of open cut, and 1000 feet of drift.  Owner F. V. Layton of Los Angeles.  — Aubrey

January 1904: SANTA ANA – Developed by 190 foot incline shaft, 100 feet of open cut, and 1000 feet of drifts.  Owner F. V. Layton of Los Angeles.  – Aubrey

June 17, 1907: “This week Wilhite & Jefford had a milling of  $1500 worth of tungsten ore from the Santa Ana mine in the Stringer District.”  — Randsburg Miner

November 29, 1902: “NAPOLEON CONSOLIDATED MINING COMPANY—From the Santa Ana, one of the mines belonging to the company in the Stringer District of Randsburg, a good clean-up has been made of 27 tons yielding $132 per ton.  F. V. Layton is superintendent.”  – The Engineering and Mining Journal.

July 4, 1903:  “THE MINERS’ STRIKE at Randsburg, has not yet been settled, and many people are daily leaving the camp.  The Napoleon Consolidated has shut down and discharged its men.”  – The Engineering and Mining Journal

July 30, 1911: “SPIKE BOISON, lessee of the Santa Ana mine, has sunk the Sanderson shaft from the 100 foot level to a depth of 225 feet and drifts are being run east and west on the rich ledge.  A strong vein has been developed, the pay streak averaging from four to ten inches in width nine tons of ore from the Santa Ana mine were milled this week at the Tip Top mill. The average recovery amounted to $126 per ton.” – San Francisco Call

March 19, 1911: “ORE FROM SANTA ANA—W. H. Bolson and Roy Baker milled 17 tons of ore from the Santa Ana mine at the Red Dog mill this week. The ore gave an average recovery of about $70 per ton. A brick weighing about $1,200 was cleaned up. The Santa Ana is one of the properties of the Stanford Mining and Reduction Company, and is situated in the Stringer district.” – San Francisco Call

December 26, 1911: “THE FOUR ACES MINING COMPANY is taking out about fifteen tons per day from the Santa Ana.  The ore averages $30 per ton and a large quantity is in sight.” –Bakersfield Morning Echo

August 2, 1913: “NOTICE OF NON-RESPONSIBILITY—To Whom It May Concern— We will not be responsible for any labor performed or for any materials furnished on the Santa Ana group of mines in the Rand Mining District.— Santa Ana Gold Mines Co” .”  — Randsburg Miner (Ditto 7-4-14)

April 15, 1916:–Among recent lucky strikes near Atolia is that of Harry Swarthout, a well known pioneer in the Stringer district,  Kern County.  Swarthout has a lease on the Napoleon claim, owned by the Red Dog Company and for five days has taken out an average of $400 per day and still has a large amount of ground to be worked.  His lease has five months more to run.  Swarthout is well remembered in the early days when he hauled water in Randsburg from Goler.”– Bakersfield Californian

RANDSBURG MINER – RANDSBURG COMMERATION NUMBER 4-23-15

1915:  “SANTA ANA GOLD MINES, formerly known as Napoleon Consolidated, a producer, consists of   40 acres in  Sec. 11, T. 30 S., R. 40 E., M. D. M. about 2 ½ miles southwest of Randsburg, in the   Stringer district, at an elevation  of 4000 feet.   Owner, Santa Ana Gold Mines Company, of Los Angeles; F. Layton, president; J.  Montgomery, secretary.  Small vein   in schist, high-grade   ore, free milling.  Workings consist of several shafts from 40 to 300 feet deep.  Equipment consists of15 h. p. Fairbanks-Morse gas engine, cars, and shop.  Distillate used as fuel, costing 20 cents per gallon.    Ore is shipped to Red Dog custom mill.  Property worked from 1896 to 1903 by the company, but since that time by lessees.  A production of $400,000 is claimed.” – G. Chester Brown

May 15, 1925: “CLYDE GATTNER AND GEORGE COWSERT, local hard rock miners have secured a lease on the Napoleon property, situated between the Sunshine and Capitola activities.  In the early days of the so called “Stringer” field, the Napoleon was one of the good producers of virgin gold, but like all of the past producers, when the fault was encountered, there was no reserve fund or ways and means to continue further prospecting or develo

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top