SECTION DK-01

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

SECTION DK-01

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION DK-01

BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962.

GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897.

GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged.

Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using up the most real estate.

For the purposes of organizing the mountain of information, we’ve created the Claims Category as a repository for the zillions of locations which ‘didn’t pan out’ or whose economic ore had played out before 1925.

Particularly in the beginning, many properties came under the classification of ‘Paper Claims’, held on the merest hint of color, or merely by virtue of their proximity to known producers and nuisance value .  Indeed, parcels barely large enough for an out-house produced fabulous wealth, but they were the exception, and are dumped here.

Mark Twain defined a Mine as “a hole in the ground owned by a liar.”  Where the holes are deep enough we’ve probably given it a feature article at: Randsburg>Mines.

Sorry if the organization seems confusing, kindly volunteer at the front desk to devise and implement improvements.  – WJW

1900 QUARTZ MINE

Mineral Survey No. 4313, Independence Land District, claim located January 1, 1900 surveyed, July 1904, known as 1900 Quartz Mine, owned by A. J. Graham, improvements consisting of 1. Discovery Pit $200, 2. Open Cut $75, 3. Shaft $30, 4. Shaft $60, 5. Shaft $60, 6. Shaft $75, 7. Shaft $50, 8. Open Cut $40, 9. Shaft $40, 10. Open Cut $30, 11. Open Cut $75, 12. Shaft $75, 13. Side Hill Cut $45., located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, of sec. 36.  HUHHHHHH?

BIG DIKE ( BIG DYKE )

1962;  THE LOCATION OF THE MINE IS  NW ¼ NW1/4 sec. 1, T.30S, R.40E., M.D.M. Rand district, half a mile south of the east end of Randsburg, about 100 yards west of the paved road in Fiddlers Gulch.  Ownership in 1962 was J. D. O’Shea estate, Benko brothers, Portage, Pennsylvania, and Mrs. M. O. Miller, Los Angeles (1958)

The total output of gold from the Big Dike mine is probably several thousand ounces, valued at about $200,000.  Most of the gold was produced between 1929 and 1950.  The average gold content of about 10,000 tons of ore was slightly less than half an ounce per ton.  The gold averages about 930 fine.  Some production of ore from the Big Dike mine may have been credited to the Yellow Aster Mining Company’s production during its operation of the mine sometime before the mid-1930s. .´ — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

GOOD LUCK

1962: REPORTED TO BE LOCATED in sec. 1, T30S, R40E, MDM, vicinity of Randsburg. Developed by 105 ft. vertical shaft and 30 foot cut, with 30 feet of drifts.  It was owned by J. R. Parker in 1904. .´ — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

GREY EAGLE

August 23, 1897:  “MR. R. HUNTER of Los Angeles has been here since last Sunday, looking after his mining interests.  Hunter and A. L. Stewart, a capitalist, of Los Angeles, own the Grey Eagle group of mines on the edge of Randsburg.  Hunter and Prof. Inskeet of the Los Angeles Business College own the west extension of the Hard Cash mine, which prospects some.  When the weather becomes a little cooler they propose to get some men to work developing this mine.  Mr. Stewart has recently bonded the Bully Boy mine out in the Stringer district and is sinking a fifty-foot shaft.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

September 26. 1898:  “PRESIDENT A. T. STEWART of the Hard Cash Company, accompanied by J. T. Hampton, was here today to make arrangements for the erecting of a dry concentrating plant on that property.  The Hard Cash has a heavy vein of ore, and under proper management should be a paying proposition.  They left tonight for Los Angeles, and Mr. Stewart will return next week, when work on the new plant will begin.  The conflicting interests between the Hard Cash and the Skookum have been settled by agreement, the Hard Cash having bought out the overlapping portion of the Skookum.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times

May 4, 1901:  “THE YELLOW POPPY AND GREY EAGLE have two shafts down 106 and 160 feet.  The vein is 12 feet wide and said to average $4 a ton.”  – Mining and Scientific Press

MASTER KEY GROUP

1962: LOCATED IN THE  N ½ sec. 1, T30S, R40E, MDM, of the  Rand district  1 mile southeast of Randsburg, Developed by 4 shafts,  Two shafts are 25 feet deep, two are 50 feet deep.  A drift 60 feet in length connects the two 50-foot shafts.  Production reported to be $4,000 or $5,000 in gold .” – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

MONARCH RAND ( MONARCH TUNGSTEN GOLD MINING CO. )

SUMMARY:

1962: “THE MONARCH RAND GROUP  is located in SE1/4 sec, 1, T30S, R40E, MDM.  It is approximately 60 acres of Patented land. Development consists of vertical shafts from 200 to 600 feet deep with about 500 feet of drifts appended at several levels.  Deep shafts were developed in search for silver ore.  Few hundred ounces of gold  and undetermined amount of  scheelite were produced in 1930’s and early 1940’s from placer material.”  – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.

CHRONOLOGY:

October 8, 1925:  Mineral Survey No.5851, Visalia Land District, Surveyed October 8, 1925, known as Monarch Rand, Monarch Rand No. 1, Monarch Rand No. 2 and Overland, owned by Monarch Rand Mining Company, improvements consisting of 5 shafts, 1 shaft, and drifts, 1 incline, 1 incline and drifts, 1 cut and 1 cut and incline, valued at $24,739.  Patented August 24, 1927

August 15, 1924:  “MONARCH RAND MINES REPORTED TO START SOON. Funds from the last assessment are reported as coming in fast and freely and that it is expected in a very short time, sufficient will be in the treasury to pay up, and then to begin the work a new and push  it vigorously.

The Monarch Rand Company has 1500 acres of ground and when developed this will make money for all concerned is the view or mining men who know the property.

The entire Rand district is anxious to see this company make good and it has at its head some very capable men who are certain at some time to make a success of this big property.

There are many men whom the company owes accrued wages who will also be pleased to hear of the new move to improve, for they have sadly needed their accumulated and unpaid earnings, which are now promised to be paid soon.

May the Monarch Rand “come back” stronger, better and more virile than ever!

News of the greatest importance is contained in the fact that early this week the directors of the Monarch Rand Mining Company held a meeting in Tulare and took up the matters of the mining development falling to their lot, and voted to levy an assessment of 12 per cent on the stock and go on with the work of making their property into a big mine.

Directors and stockholders were present from Visalia, Tulare, Lindsay, and that vicinity, and they met with S. O. Waker, one of the large holders and decided to levy this assessment, pay their indebtedness of last spring, and commence work as soon as the money had been raised and the debts of the company liquidated.”  — Randsburg Times

March 1925: “THE ORIGINAL WORKINGS of the Monarch Rand Mining Company were approximately 1600 feet southeast of the Baltic Shaft.  The Monarch Rand-Shaft, now known as the Monarch No. 1, is a 1 ½ compartment vertical shaft, now 450 feet deep.  It is planned to sing to 700 feet.  Stations have been cut at 118, 168, and 218 feet.  One vein, 3 ½ feet thick, has been found in this shaft which was said to assay $48.00 chiefly in gold.  This vein which lies on the hanging wall of a quartz latite dike was cut off on top, bottom and both ends by faults.  100 tons of ore were taken from the No. 1 shaft.

The Monarch Rand Mining Company have recently acquired the Baltic claim, including the old mine and mill, and also the property formerly known as the Ben Hur Extension.

It is understood that a working agreement has been reached whereby the Monarch-Rand property will be explored by a crosscut driven from the 300-foot level of the Garford Lease Shaft.”  — Hulin

OLD BALDY PROSPECT

1962: THIS PROSPECT WAS LOCATED IN NW ¼ sec. 1. T30S, R40E, MDM, of the Rand district, 1 ¼ miles southeast of Randsburg.  It has a vertical shaft of undetermined depth.  There was probably no production when it was worked in the 1930’s.  – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.

PLACER GOLD MINING CO.

SUMMARY:

1962: A COMPANY THAT RECOVERED PLACER GOLD  and sheelite from alluvial material in vicinity of Baltic mine.  Dry placer method of recovery utilized 1898-1913, slucing methods used about 1916.  Production probably attributed to claims from which material was removed. – Mines and  Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

CHRONOLOGY:

August 11, 1912:  “J. R. METCALF of Los Angeles, secretary of the Placer Gold Mining Company, is In Randsburg – to superintend the completion of the concentrator, which has been installed on the company’s placer grounds near the Baltic. These placer mines with extensive gravel beds, rich in both gold and tungsten, have been acquired by this corporation from Sidney Coburn. Colonel E. Dunham, proprietor of the King Edward hotel in Los Angeles, Is the president of the Placer Gold Mining Company, and E. Coppock, another Los Angeles capitalist, vice president. Much material and additional machinery has been hauled to the grounds and it is reported that the plant will be ready for a run in a few days.”  — San Francisco Call

August 24, 1912: “AN ENTIRELY NEW PLANT of much larger capacity has been installed by the Placer Gold Mining Company on the Baltic grounds, one of the 18 claims owned by this company.  Operations have been started at once.

This company will be one of the first to use electric power. About 45 to 60 horsepower will be required to operate the plant.  Water for sluicing purposed is furnished both by the Randsburg Water Company and the Santa Fe railroad.  The pipeline of the Sunshine Mine has been connected with, and it is through this pipe-line that the water hauled in tank cars is pumped from the Santa Fe depot in Johannesburg.”  -- Randsburg Miner

January 12, 1913:  “THE PLANT OF THE PLACER GOLD COMP;ANY has been enlarged considerably during the last month and equipped with many time and labor .saving devices. Preparations are finished for continuous- operations, the results of which are being watched with interest by many owners of similar placer properties in this district.”  – San Francisco Call

RATTLESNAKE

1962:  THE RATTLESNAKE was reported to be in the Rand district , about 1 mile south of Johannesburg in 1910, somewhere in the vicinity of Wade H. group.   – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.

RED BIRD MINE

1962: THE RED BIRD IS LOCATED IN THE SE ¼, T30S, R40E, MDM, 1 ¾ miles southeast of Randsburg in the Stringer district, adjoining the south boundary of the Baltic.  It is developed by 135 foot vertical shaft at east end of claim and 500-foot inclined shaft 500 feet to the west. Shafts are connected by drift at 135-foot level.  Small amount of scheelite has been recovered from placer material and sorted material from dump at vertical shaft.  Several tens of ounces of gold were produced in 1930’s. .   – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1.

WELLS FARGO ( OLD MOJAVE) POSSIBLY  OLDER NAME FOR BIG DYKE????

SUMMARY:

1962: IN 1904  J. S. WARNER  reported to be operating a mine in sec. 36, T29S, R40E, AND SEC. 1, T30S, R40E, MDM, 1 mile south of Randsburg.  No other data available. — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

CHRONOLOGY:

August 29, 1903: “A RICH STRINGER has been struck in the Wells Fargo, situated southeast of town.  W. Logan is working it for the owner, Mr. Warner.”  — The Mining and Scientific Press

June 25, 1904: “THE DEVELOPMENT WORK on the Wells Fargo claim shows a one foot ledge with $10 ore.” — Randsburg Miner

January 1904: LOCATION REPORTED as sections 36 and 1, T29 and T30, R40.  The Mine is developed by a 60 foot vertical shaft, a 20 foot incline shaft, 200 feet of open cut, 70 feet of tunnel and 30 feet of drift.  It is owned by J. S. Warner of Johannesburg.  — Aubrey

W. H. NO. 1 MINE

1962: FRANK ROYER OF RED MOUNTAIN  reported in 1957 that he was operating a mine of this name in the center of sec. 1, T30S, R40E, 1 ¼ miles southeast of Randsburg.  The shaft was at least 150 feet deep, and there were a few hundred feet of drifts.  Production of a few hundred ounces of gold from ore containing 1 oz per to was reported to have occurred in 1938-39. Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top