SECTION EK-10

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:
 
 
 

SECTION EK-10

MINING CLAIMS OF SECTION EK-10

BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962.

GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897.

GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged.

Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using up the most real estate.

For the purposes of organizing the mountain of information, we’ve created the Claims Category as a repository for the zillions of locations which ‘didn’t pan out’ or whose economic ore had played out before 1925.

Particularly in the beginning, many properties came under the classification of ‘Paper Claims’, held on the merest hint of color, or merely by virtue of their proximity to known producers and nuisance value .  Indeed, parcels barely large enough for an out-house produced fabulous wealth, but they were the exception, and are dumped here.

Mark Twain defined a Mine as “a hole in the ground owned by a liar.”  Where the holes are deep enough we’ve probably given it a feature article at: Randsburg>Mines.

Sorry if the organization seems confusing, kindly volunteer at the front desk to devise and implement improvements.  – WJW

CULBERT (JOSPHINE, T.G. GROUP)

 

1962: LOCATED at NE corner of sec. 10, T30S, R40E, MDM, Rand District, 1 ¾ miles southwest of Randsburg in center of small valley south of Government Peak.  Fifteen claims.  Principal workings are several hundred feet of drifts extended on several levels from an inclined shaft of at least 400 feet deep. Some near surface stopes near shaft and several other shafts of undetermined depth.  Several adits and narrow surface stopes to southwest of main vein. Mine was an early discovery in the Rand district but production was probably not greater than several hundred ounces of gold.  Most of the ore mined 1901-1905, 1910-15, and 1929-38.  Other periods of small production; most recent was 1951. .´ — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

 

JOSEPHINE

October 31, 1897:  “The Josephine adjoins Burcham No. 2; has open cuts and 20-foot and 75-foot Shafts; ledge one and a half feet wide; average milling of ore $22.80.  Just milled first lot of three tons. ” – The Herald

February 6, 1904: “THE RED DOG MILL began milling ore this week from the Josephine. Howe, Gunderson, and Porter are working the property.”  — Randsburg Miner

1915:  “Josephine T. G. Group consists of 70 acres in the Rand district, 2 miles southeast of Randsburg, and adjoining the Yellow Aster mine on the southwest.  Owner J. P. Howe, of Randsburg.   Elevation 4000 feet.  Deposit consists of quartz fissures in schist.  Workings consist of several shafts from 20 to 150 feet deep, 400-foot crosscut, and a number of open cuts.   Ore is free milling and shipped to Red Dog custom mill. Total operating cost, including milling about $20 per ton.  Equipment consists of 8 h. p. gasoline hoist, skids, buckets, cars, and tools.  Three men employed.  Production to date $11,500.” – G. Chester Brown

GUNDERSON GROUP ( KING GEORGE, MINNESOTA )

1962: LOCATED at the approximate center of N ½ NW ¼ section 10, T30S, R40E, MDM, 2 miles southwest of Randsburg, at west end of small valley south of Government Peak.  Five claims.  Mine workings consist of 2 main inclined shafts on southwest part of vein and other shafts farther northeast.  Also a 44 foot west driven drift adit, with winze at west end of drift, lies between the two main shafts.  Winze connects with drifts of undetermined extent between shafts.  Depth of shafts undetermined but 3 shafts were at least 100 feet deep in 1916.  Probable total output a few hundred ounces of gold mined mostly in 1919-1920 and 1945-1948.  Other intermittent mining occurred between 1905 and 1940.  — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

1915:  “MINNESOTA GROUP, formerly known as King George.    A small producer of the Rand mining district, in Sec.  35, T. 29 S., R. 40 E., M. D. M., about 3 miles south of Randsburg, at an elevation of 4000 feet.  Owner D. Gunderson.  Holdings consist of 50 acres located in 1896.  Small vein in schist.  Ore runs $68 per ton in free gold.  Workings consist of three shafts, each 100 feet deep and short drifts.  Mine equipment consists of horse-whim, car and dwelling.  Ore reduced at Red Dog custom mill.  Three men are employed.  Produced $10.000 to date.  Adjoins Josephine Group, on the east.” – G. Chester Brown.

 

UP TO DATE

 

1962:   IN 1904 A Mr. C. C. BOWLES reported that he had a mine by this name located in sec. 10, T30S, R40E, MDM, southwest of Randsburg.  The mine was developed by a 10 foot vertical shaft, , 10-foot and 15-foot inclined shafts and a 50-foot open cut. — Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

January 1904: Ditto above development data, Owned by C. C. Bowles.  — Aubrey

 

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top