STANFORD GROUP

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

SUMMARY:

Card E. Stibs At Stanford Lease in the late 1950's -Collection of Rand Desert Museum

1962:  LOCATED SW. cor. Sec. 1. T30S, R40E MDM, Stringer district, 1 ¾ miles southeast of Randsburg. Stanford Group—Four patented claims. Mined principally 1898-1916, but some activity 1931-34, 1938-1941, 1946-48 and leased by Carl E. Stibs in 1957 who was working it principally for scheelite with a dry washer.  Principal workings consist of one shaft 425 feet deep and several shafts of undetermined depth; approximately 2000 feet of horizontal workings; moderate volume of stoping mostly at depths above 150 feet.  Several thousand ounces of gold produced before 1916; a few tens of ounces produced since then.”  Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology, County Report 1

Testing on the "Beck" Dry Washer Was Extensively Carried Out By Carl Stibs on His Lease of The Stanford Group in The Late 50's.

CHRONOLOGY:

April 14, 1897:  “RECEIVER MILLER is in charge of the Gold Coin and all work is at a standstill awaiting the result of litigation.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

June 6, 1897:  “DRY WASHERS ARE AT WORK EVERWHERE, eight different parties being counted on less than an acre of ground in one place in the vicinity of the Gold Coin mine in the Stringer district yesterday afternoon.  All are getting some gold, but not many of them making wages or more than wages. This ground has been worked before, and is scarcely dry enough now to work to advantage.

The Gold Coin mine was closed down yesterday by the Receiver, and that property will probably now stand idle until its ownership is decided by courts.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

May 1897:  “THE CALIFORNIA RAND’ Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897.  It was discovered sometime between April of 1895 and December 20, 1895. In March of 1897 it was being leased by Mr. Flannigan, and was located 45 feet.”  — Overland Magazine

May 26, 1900:  “CHARLIE HAMMELL realized from his shipment of 91 tons of screenings from the Stanford mine to the Barstow mill $650, or a little more than $7 per ton.  On this he made a nice profit.”  — Randsburg Miner

November 17, 1900:  “THE GOLD COIN mine was discovered and located by M. T. Mann, one of the owners, in August, 1895.  Work was begun on the mine at a later date and from the workings the first year something like $15,000 was taken.  The main shaft at the present is down over 200 feet.  Drifting was done at the 100-foot level, and at the 150-foot level.  They are drifting with a view of opening up the mine as much as possible, the idea being to block out the ore so as to figure of the erection of a mill.  They have plenty of ore in sight, which has milled about $80.00 to the ton.  The ore taken out the first year averaged $64.00 per ton for the entire millrun of the year.  The property is situated about two miles from Randsburg, and right on the ground about two years ago by drywashers.  The waste dump was screened a short time ago, and the screenings milled from $5 to $11 per ton.  The vein averages 18 inches the entire depth, and the ore has been increasing in value.  It is the intention of the owners to sink another shaft a short distance away to tap the ledge, and when this is done a fair idea will be obtained of just how much ore they will have.  The owners of the property are M. T. Mann, A. A. Nixon, and J. F. Keller.”  –Randsburg Miner

October 3, 1903:  “THE GOLD COIN  mine near Randsburg is in operation.”  — The Mining and Scientific Press

January 1904:  GOLD COIN–Reported to be located in section 1, T30, R40, it is an unpatented claim developed by eight shafts of 50 to 200 feet deep, with 2000 feet of drifts.  It has a 10 stamp mill and is powered by a whim.  It is owned by the Stanford M. & R. Co. of the Bradbury Block in Los Angeles.”  – Aubrey

January 1904:  “ORPHAN BOY- Reported to be located in section 1, T30, R40, is unpatented claim developed by a 135 incline shaft.  Owned by Hammond & Oakley of Randsburg. “– Aubrey

January 1904:  “STANDFORD MINE, locate in section 1, T30, R40, near Johannesburg, developed by 350 foot vertical shaft, and 1500 feet of drift.  Owned by Stanford Mining & Reduction Co. of Los Angeles.  Frank Mann of Johannesburg was Superintendent.”  — Aubrey

March 19, 1904:  “THE STANFORD MINE had a milling last week at the Red Dog Mill.”  — Randsburg Miner

June 1, 1905:  “Pat Byrne and his associates have struck good ore in the Orphan Boy at depth of 400 feet. They deserve it as they have worked long and faithfully for it.  Clyde Kuffel and Al Vandament are associated with him.”  – Randsburg Miner

 August 6, 1908:  “Leasers on the Stanford mine have been striking rich ore of late and a large milling by Jim Witt and a brother has yielded an average of $64 a ton.” – Los Angeles Herald

August 2, 1913: “NOTICE OF NON-RESPONSIBILITY—To Whom It May Concern—We will not be responsible for any labor performed or for any materials furnished on the Stanford Mining & Reduction Co.’s group of mines in the Rand Mining District. — Stanford Mining & Reduction Co.” – Randsburg Miner

1915:  “STANFORD, a prospect adjoining the  Sunshine on the southwest, consists of 75 acres in Sec 11, T 30 S, R. 40 E., in Rand  District, about 4 miles west of Johannesburg, at an elevation of 3800 feet.  Owner Sam Montgomery.  Small vein in   schist.  Free milling ore, high grade.   Workings consist of a shaft 425 feet deep and several thousand feet of drifts and stopes.  Equipment consists of a 12 h.p. gasoline hoist,   a horse whim, cars, shop and dwelling   Worked to a limited extent by lessees.  Small  producer.” – G. Chester Brown.

April 23, 1915:  “Stanford Group-This property is located one and three quarter miles south from Johannesburg, is developed to a depth of 150-ft. with hundreds of feet of drifting and stoping.  Thousands of tons have been milled; ore that went from $15 to $500 per ton, leaving for future operators the bulk of the material mined and ready to shovel into a mill. — Randsburg Miner

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mines. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top