May 15, 1920: ‘LOS ANGELES HAS BEEN SELECTED as the general place of business for the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company.” – Bakersfield Californian
July 25, 1920: “J. M. DIKEMAN, formerly with the Yellow Aster mine at Randsburg, Calif., is with the Dives Mining company.” –Tombstone Epitaph
May 4, 1921: “THE YELLOW ASTER WILL CLEAN OUT the old Goler Well. It is believed that a sufficient flow of water can be obtained to run 30 or more stamps. – Bakersfield Californian
October 3, 1921: “ON THE STOKES LEASE on the Yellow Aster they picked a rich stringer. At 37 feet they broke into an old stope. The two miners made a cleanup for their share of $1018 for 2 (5+1) days’ work.”
The Yellow Aster keeps dropping 30 stamps on ore from a big screener. The leasers are doing well on this property”—Bakersfield Californian
October 8, 1921:THE YELLOW ASTER IS RUNNING 25 STAMPS on screened ore from the great glory hole; five stamps dropping on the Gunderson and Otterson lease output. “—Bakersfield Californian
December 12, 1921: “DIES AFTER FALL IN YELLOW ASTER—Frank Carmichael in Fall From Scaffolding Is Fatally Hurt.—Frank C. Carmichael, well-known Tehachapi blacksmith, died Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Yellow Aster mine hospital, Randsburg, from injuries received about 9 o’clock in the morning when he fell from a scaffold to the ground, a distance of 35 feet. The veteran smith sustained a fractured skull and compound fractures of both legs. His chest and ribs were also crushed, but he struggled valiantly against death for six hours.
Other workmen were attempting to change a board on the scaffold when a rope slipped, causing the board on which Carmichael was standing to waver. As a result, Carmichael lost his balance and fell to the hard earth 35 feet below, landing on his side. He was then carried to the hospital and medical aid was summoned, but it soon developed that the injuries were fatal.
The deceased conducted a smithy at Tehachapi for years, goinf to the mining country recently. He is survived by a wife and son, living at Randsburg, two brothers, one of which lives in Nevada and the other at Saugus, where the deceased’s mother and sister reside. The body is at the Dixon-Flickinger funeral chapel, today, but will be shipped to Los Angeles tonight for burial Wednesday at 2 p. m.
Coroner L. G. Helm reached a verdict of accidental death at an inquest held on the scene of the fall Saturday night.” – Bakersfield Californian
August 5, 1922:“AT RANDSBURG, Kern County, Calif., active work is going on in thirty-five shafts, according to the U. S. Geological Survey. The Yellow Aster is using diamond drills in prospecting its ground. Twenty stamps of the mill are dropping. There has been excitement over a strike in the Mizpah mine, near Johannesburg.” — Engineering and Mining Journal Press
January 5, 1923: “THE YELLOW ASTOR (SIC) OFFICIALS are to make a special examination of their conditions this week preparatory to resuming operation on a large scale. Their new giant pumping plant is being installed and will be of sufficient capacity to supply the entire camp with ample water.” – Bakersfield Californian
January 25, 1923: “SEE BIG PUMP INSTALLED—Albert Ancker party that came up from Los Angeles to see he big pump lately installed a he Goler wells was Mannie Lowenstein, a resident of Fresno in the eighties. “ Bakersfield California
February 10, 1923: “TWO NICE PACKAGES WERE SHIPPED out by express this week to the San Francisco mint, said to be gold bricks from milling lots of the Louis Kane lease and the McNear and Hard lease on the Yellow Aster domain. Kane’s brick will bring better than $5,000 and the other about $3,200. Four sets of leasers are making good month in and month out” –Bakersfield Californian
May 26, 1923: “GUNDERSON AND HARRINGTON. leasing on the Yellow Aster are in good ground and will soon have another good milling, to be followed by Felix and Gerblich, who now have some 40 tons of high grade milling ore, the Thompson lease has been very fortunate in the blocks and with the present development is confident of bringing another bunch of ore.
Otterson and McAnear broke into the old “Shake-“em-up: stopping ground and will be able to keep the Yellow Aster stamps dropping for many days. They now have better than 2000 tons of milling ore waiting their milling days. With the coming of a ball mill to be installed on the Yellow Aster, the Nancy Hanks lease granted to the Belcher Ex., of Nevada, will have several thousand tons of good milling ore to put through.”—Bakersfield Californian
November 26, 1923: “A SHIPMENT OF GOLD BULLION – some $5,000—from the McAnear, Burgoyne and Felix leases on the Yellow Aster holdings, was made this week, it represents less than 30 days work.
The Glenn-Feenan lease is holding its own, in the next mill run it is hoped to make as good a showing for the block of ground as any of the Y. A. leasers are making.”—Bakersfield Californian
November 30, 1923: “FOR THE PURPOSE OF SAFETY and making better working conditions in the glory hole of the Yellow Aster mine, some 500 pounds of 60 per cent giant powder was fired Tuesday afternoon. The blast loosened up an old choked up stope in the old workings. The management has faith in its 80-ton ball mill.”—Bakersfield Californian
December 22, 1923: “SUPERINTENDENT G. W. NICOLSON of the Yellow Aster mine, states that all of the leasers are getting out good ore and that the tonnage in sight will keep their 10 stamps dropping during the month of December and the most of January. All of the five sets of leasers will get and advance on the coming week’s clean-up in good time for their Christmas shopping.
Due to rusty parts in the large Pomona pump lately installed at the Yellow Aster wells, in Goler canyon, the clean-up of the 80-ton ball mill not be made this week”—Bakersfield Californian
January 10, 1924: “PLENTY OF WATER—Randsburg, Jan. 10.—The Yellow Aster has fully cleared its pumps and all reserve tanks are full of water, so that the various companies using this supply will have plenty of water for operations’ from now one.—Bakersfield Californian
January 28, 1924: “FOUR LEASERS AND THE CLEAN-UP from the 25-ton mill operating on the Yellow Aster domain sent out a brick each to the mint that will bring back $8400 or better. So good was the returns or rather the brick of the ball mill that the company has instructed Superintendent G. W. Nicholson to proceed with figures for the installation of a 250-ton plant.”—Bakersfield Californian
February 22, 1924: “PRESIDENT ALBERT ANKER of the Yellow Aster is spending the week looking over the company’s interests. Mr. Anker is very enthusiastic with the ball mill tests made recently. The plans for a 2500 ton ball mill are progressing.”—Bakersfield Californian
March 8, 1924: ‘AT THE PRESENT TIME only three sets of leasers are taking out good milling ore on the Yellow Aster domain. February clean-up returns are reported fair, which as a rule generally means better than the going wages.”—Bakersfield Californian
March, 1925: THE YELLOW ASTER MINE, the oldest mine and one of the three large producers of the Randsburg Quadrangle, lies in the quartz monzonite schist conplex near the top of the Rand Mountains, just south or Randsburg.
The property is owned by the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company whose head office is in Los Angeles. No mining has been done by the company for approximately six years, though some ore has been extracted during this period by leasers. At the time of the writer’s visit in January 1924, six leases were being worked in the mine, two men composing the party working each lease. Leases within the mine are given on the basis of a 50 per cent royalty, the company furnishing tools and air, the leasers furnishing their own powder and loading the ore on cars. — Hulin
April 6, 1925: “NEW MILL PLANNED AT RANDSBURG MINE—Randsburg, April 6.—Construction of the first 250-ton unit of the proposed 500-ton mill is about to be undertaken by the Yellow Aster Mining Company of Los Angeles. The mill will be designed to treat an immense tonnage of low-grade ore, said to range from 5,000,000 top 6,000,000tons, the ten stamp plant is running steadily one ore from leases. The mine is largely worked by the open-cut system, with ore loaded in to cars by steam shovels. The property has paid over $1,500,000 in dividends.”– Bakersfield Californian
April 20, 1925: YELLOW ASTER MILL AT RANDSBURG BURNED—Fire completely destroyed the old mill building and equipment of the famous Yellow Aster Gold Mine. The structure was erected a number of years ago at a cost of $175,000.
Origin of the fire is unknown as the plant had not been in use for several years. Dynamite was used yesterday to prevent the flames reaching the main stamp mill. – Bakersfield Californian
August 24, 1925: “NANCY HANKS LEASE—On the return of Martin Errecart from Piute Mountain, to resume work on his lease on the Nancy Hanks and the Rose M., he found that someone had carried off all his hoisting equipment. Mr. Errecart is now on a quiet hunt after the “borrowed” stuff.” – Bakersfield Californian
Some 20 years ago he was in charge of the Queen Esther gold mine in the Mojave district and afterwards with the Western Metals Company in Los Angeles until his arrival at Randsurg.
He will leave his family in Los Angeles, and start from there on July 15, sailing from New York City July 25.
T. J. Fitzgerald, well known Tonopah mining superintendent, will take his place.”—Bakersfield Californian
October 12, 1925: “RANDSBURG MINE RECOVERS FROM DAMAGE IN FLOOD—Recovering from the disastrous cloudburst in August last, which seriously damaged its water system, the Yellow Aster Mining Company at Randsburg has settled down to regular routine work, and reports that its ten stamp mill is again in commission.
The company, of which Alfred Ancker of Los Angeles is president, expects soon to begin building the first 250-ton unit of its proposed 500-ton milling plant and anticipates the inauguration of greatly increased mining and milling activity after the new mill is placed in regular service.
The ore for the plant will be furnished by the great “Glory Hole” on the company’s property, where the caving system will be employed in mining operations.
T. M. Fitzgerald, superintendent, reports that one of the leasing sets mined 57 tons of high-grade during August, which milled $52.50 per ton in gold.”—Bakersfield Californian
August 15, 1927: “YELLOW ASTER AGAIN OPERATING LOW GRADE—With its modernized ten-stamp mill in regular commission, treating 80 tons daily, of low-grade ore running from $2.50 to $8 per ton in its gold content, the Yellow Aster Mining Company is again on an active productive basis, on its own account, after a long period of practical inactivity. In comparison, however, the company has been only taking a “breathing spell after 30 years of high pressure operation, during which it posted quite a number of big dividends.
With the rehabilitated milling plant in active service it is anticipated a recovery of from 85 to 90 per cent of the assay value of the ore treated will be made on the plates, the remaining values being saved in the concentrates. This recovery, it is stated, will return a handsome profit, as mining and milling costs have been reduced to a minimum, while years of continued operating are assured, as engineers estimate from five to six million tons of low-grade ore are available for mill treatment.
In commenting upon the starting up of the mill Albert Ancker, president of the company, states that if it is found that the present mill operation is entirely satisfactory, the capacity of the plant will be raised to 500 tons daily by the addition of other 10-stamp units, recalling prewar days when a 100-stamp mill was in successful operation and when the mill feed was quarried from the mountain side.”—Bakersfield Californian
March 30, 1929: “THE MINING JOURNAL The Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, W. F. Allen, Jr., general manager, Box 341, Randsburg, California, plans the installation of an additional 20 stamps. This company is producing and already has a plant of 30 stamps, using amalgamation plates and the tailings are retreated using Wilfley tables. The leaching plant has a capacity to treat 200 tons of ore daily. An average of 43 men are engaged in present work. Albert Ancker of Los Angeles is president of the Yellow Aster.”—Engineering and Mining Journal
June 30, 1929: “SPLENDID RECORD AT YELLOW ASTER IN TAILING TREATMENT — For the last 12 months Carwyniac Incorporated of Los Angeles, George H. Wyman, Jr., manager and consulting engineer, has been successfully engaged in the treatment of old mill tailings at the famous Yellow Aster mine at Randsburg, Kern county, California. It is consigning a gold brick to the United States mint every 10 days.
The company is operating a 250-ton daily capacity cyanide leaching plant of modern design, handling auriferous tailings of an assay value of less than $1 per ton, a total cost, including all overhead, of 20 cents a ton. The capacity of the plant is being increased to 300 tons daily, at 7 which time the company expects to be able to reduce costs to 17 cents per ton, making a notable record in the economic handling of old mill tailings.
It is estimated that there are in excess of 3,000,000 tons of accumulated mill tailings at the Yellow Aster mine, which are being handled by a combination of drag and slack line scrapers. The fiowsheet and equipment were designed by Mr. Wyman, who states that similar plants will be installed shortly in a number of places in the southwest for the handling of old mill tailings of low grade.
The Yellow Aster Mining Company, with millions in gold production to its credit, is increasing the capacity of its ore reduction plant from 20 to 50 stamps. Forty have received their finishing touches and are now in regular commission.”—Engineering and Mining Journal
January 15, 1930: “Improvements planned by the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, 602 Transportation Building, Los Angeles, California, A. Ancker, president, for the ensuing year; include a gasoline one-yard shovel, and the installation of a cyanide milling plant. About 4,000 tons of ore, assaying $2.50 to $8 per ton in gold, are being treated monthly in the stamp mill, with a recovery of 90 percent of millhead assays. Engineers estimate there are 6,000,000 tons of ore in sight. W. F. Allen, Jr., Box 341, Randsburg, California, is general manager of the company.”—The Mining Journal
February 17, 1930: “INCREASE MINE MILL FROM 5 TO 50 STAMPS—Mojave, Feb. 17.—Credit for increasing from a lonely 5-stamp mill, all that was left of a one-time 100-stamp mill, to a battery of 50 stamps, goes to W. F. Allen, superintendent in charge of the Yellow Aster Mining Company. When every dollar earned had man ways to spread, the going had to be figured on. Oft times royalties from the leasers had to carry on the upkeep or much dead work. When the second unit of five stamps, a much needed addition, was installed, Superintendent Allen expressed himself that if was the starter for a 50-stamp mill, and with the warmest cooperation of President Albert Ancker, the expression holds good.
With many new additions to the mill, there will be but a small per cent of gold, if any, that will reach the tailings ponds. At present, leasers are handling 300 tons of the tailings every day, from a pond started 33 years ago. With eight sets of leasers and 20 employees the old hill has the appearance of prosperity.
The blacksmith shop has a snappy appearance. Just an instance of how one part of the “making of the grade” had to be accomplished for a long drawn out period, an old Cadillac engine was used in hauling the ore and waste from the workings. Nowadays two Plymouth engines move along easily and noiselessly.
The output handled for the mill by the company is 80 per cent from the Glory Hole and 20 per cent from the mine stopes. Leasers’ ore runs many dollars to a ton.”—Bakersfield Californian
December 15, 1930: “The Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, W. F. Allen, Jr., General Manager, Box 341, Randsburg, California, is installing a double-drum hoist, for a two-compartment shaft, to be sunk 200 feet below the old workings. The company has a payroll of 20, and 30 lessees are making good.”– The Mining Journal
December 16, 1930: DROPPING OF 50 STAMPS ON THE GOLD PRODUCT from the Yellow Aster Mining Company’s workings has begun with 10 stamps on leasers ores, on a two-shift basis. The milling plant is fully equipped, concentration and cyanide, the process saving 98 per cent. There is no other metal contact in the Randsburg gold ore, the product is free milling.
Albert Ancker, president of the Yellow Aster Mining Company, spent two days visiting both the property and the people in general. It has been some years since the hill has looked so good to him. All branches of the large plant are fitted to carry on. Very little of the equipment that was in use three years ago is now in use. From 10 “poor” stamps to the present 50 and from an old made-over Cad for a locomotive, they have two powerful Plymouth engines that haul long strings of ore from the glory hole and various shafts and underground workings. A blacksmith show, and a smith that can handle any kind of work, old or new, is installed.
Sinking of the double compartment shaft to a depth of 200 feet under the old workings has been started. The finding of ore in the shaft or on the bottom of the new depth will be of interest to every owner of a mining claims or group of claims, so much so that deep mines will follow.
Leasers on the Yellow Aster are E. and M. Engiquez, Smith and McKenzie, Garrehy and O’Conner, Williams and Costello, Cone and Burgoyne, Thompson and Otteson, Greathouse and Howell, Natta and Tasso, Odall and Devlan, Evans and Ford and Garrehy and Zilkey.”–Bakersfield Californian
December 30, 1930: “WITH THE YELLOW ASTER SINKING a double-compartment shaft 200 feet below the old workings, with the hills now being prospected by seekers after leases, and the strikes of rich ores found since October 20 of $1 a pound, a six inch streak in the Bender and better than 5 feet of $25 milling ore, and two sensational finds on the Agnes and the Yellow Aster, all within six weeks, there is a bright future.”–Bakersfield Californian
July 15, 1930: “The Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, W. F. Allen, Jr., P. 0. Box 841, Randsburg, California, is installing a cone dry classifier, that is to be used with a Dorr thickener, on mill tailings. The May report, stated that 27 men were employed in mine and mill for the company, and 19 sets of lessees were working. Owing to the increase in the number of lessees, since that time, additional stamps will be needed for their ore, thus cutting down milling on company account.”—The Mining Journal
August 30, 1930: “The Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company, Albert Ancker, President, 840 Citizens National Bank, Los Angeles, California, has 48 lessees working on its property, near Randsburg. A crew of 20 men is operating the 30-stamp mill, on three shifts, on both company ore and ore from the leases. Frank Feldman and Oliver Phillips, Lessees, produced the best milling ore this month. It ran better than $40 per ton, and came from the Shake ‘Em Up Stope.”—The Mining Journal
January 15, 1931: “Fifty stamps of the Yellow Aster Mining Company’s well equipped mill are dropping, 10 stamps on lessees’ ores, and 40 on company ore. As the gold product carries only free milling gold, the recovery is high. The plant is operated three shifts a day. The equipping of the 200-foot two-compartment shaft has been started. Two experienced miners are carefully extracting ore from the 20-inch high-grade strike on the south side of the glory hole, 250 feet above the working level of the plant. W. F. Allen, Jr., Box 341, Randsburg, California, is General Manager.”—The Mining Journal
February 15, 1931: “A 50-foot headframe has been completed, and ore is being hoisted from the old workings, of the Yellow Aster Mine, in the Randsburg District, in California. The shaft has two compartments, according to General Manager W. F. Allen, Jr. An agreement for a reduction in wages was entered into between the management and its 30 employees, to continue three months from February 1. Workers drawing $6 a day have been reduced to $5; the $5.50 men have been reduced to $4.50 and the workers who were paid $5.00 a day have been cut to $4.”—The Mining Journal
February 20, 1931: “LONG BEACH CAPITALISTS are now having an examination made on the Baltic mine and mill, also the Buckboard mine, two pioneer gold producers among the record mines of the California Rand district. Both claims, 2 miles apart are owned and controlled by the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company. “—Bakersfield Californian
September 28, 1932: “THE YELLOW ASTER MINE AND MILL continues operations in the same manner. Twenty leasers are doing well. The 50 stamps are being worked on a three-shift basis of eight hour each. Ten of the stamps are dropping on leasers’ ore. Thirty miners and mill workers are on the pay roll.”—Bakersfield Californian
December 29, 1932: “INSTANT DEATH MET BY CAVE-IN VICTEMS, CORONER DISCLOSES—Bodies of Raynard Rasmussen; 59, and Venton Drennan, 64, miners who were buried yesterday beneath tons of rock when one side of the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company’s “glory hole” at Randsburg caved in, were recovered before sundown last night, after 100 men had spent hours digging and drilling for them.
The two miners, Coroner N. C. Houze reported upon his return from Randsburg, died instantly when an overhanging wall of the “glory hole” collapsed and sent 1500 tons of rock tumbling to the bottom of the gigantic excavation.
Recovery of the bodies was affected speedily because Bill Taylor, a prospector, witnessed the slide and directed the excavation work which finally resulted in discovery of the crushed remains of the men several feet below the surface of the “glory hole” bottom after the wall had collapsed.
Taylor narrowly escaped the same fate. The wall of rock missed him less than 10 feet on its downward journey.
HUGE EXCAVATION—The “glory hole” is a giant excavation which has been an attraction in the Randsburg district since 1895, when the Yellow Aster was discovered and is big enough “to hold any building in Bakersfield,” as one citizen explained. From it ore has been taken that brought millions to those who operated it.
The overhanging wall of the “glory hole” has been considered sound. Whenever miners blast near such a wall, they generally placed pebbles in a crevice before shooting begins, and afterward inspect the pebbles. If the pebbles have been crushed or moved or loosened from their position the blasters know that the “ground is working” and take necessary precautions to prevent collapse of the wall. The overhanging wall of the Yellow Aster glory hole has never offered any indication of having “moved” and it was considered safe, but there is little doubt but that the blasting in the district during the past 37 years, aided by action of the elements, finally brought about its collapse and the death of the two men who were working at its bottom.
BODIES CRUSHED—The wall fell in about 11 a. m. yesterday. Every able-bodied man in the district dropped his work and rushed to the rescue. There was little hope that either of them would be found alive. When the body of Rasmussen was finally sighted, it was found to be wedges underneath a rock “about the size of a room.” Hours of digging drilling and other work was required before the body could be pulled from underneath the rock. Rasmussen’s body was crushed so badly it was hardly recognizable. The body of Drennan was not so badly crushed but he too had died instantly investigators believed.
The jury assembled by Coroner Houze returned a verdict of “accidental death.”
VICTIMS PARTNERS—Many miners, who have sought the illusive glittering gold in the Randsburg district during the past 40 years, have suffered similar fates, but none of the tragedies has been as spectacular, residents of the region declared.
Drennan and Rasmussen were partners in a lease they had obtained from the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company which gave them the privilege of operating in the “glory hole.” They were not employees of the concern itself but sent their recovered ore to the milling plant’s stamp mill for crushing.
The body of Rasmussen was brought to the Flickinger chapel in Bakersfield. He leaves a widow in resident of Randsburg. He came to California about 10 years ago and had worked at Randsburg for about two months. Funeral rites will be conducted at Randsburg on Saturday at 2:30 p. m. in the general assemblage church there. The body will be interred in the cemetery there.
The body of Drennan was taken to Los Angeles, where surviving relatives reside.”—Bakersfield Californian
May 9, 1933: “ANGLO AMERICAN COMPANY ACQUIRES YELLOW ASTER MINE – Announcement has been made of the sale of the Yellow Aster mine at Randsburg to the Anglo American Mining Corporation. The mine has been the property of the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company and is one of the best known properties in America.
The announcement in San Francisco of the sale of the mine to the Anglo-American Mining Corporation was confirmed in Los Angeles today by Albert Ankers, president of the Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company.
Important financial groups in New York, London, and Paris and on the Pacific Coast are represented in the purchasing company which has contracted for the Yellow Astor on an option calling for a price of $500,000. A substantial cash payment, Mr. Ankers said, was made under the option which requires the buyers to undertake certain development work and install plant improvements.
The Yellow Aster mine is one of the oldest mines in the Randsburg district, having been in continuous operation since 1896, with the exception of 1918, and its total production to date is estimated to have been $10,000,000. Dividends of approximately $8.000.000 have been paid.
The Yellow Aster mine was discovered in 1895, and mining started from that date. The property comprises 47 patented claims, totaling 796 acres. Prominent engineers, who, have examined the property recently have given various estimates as to the available tonnage; F. B. Wenks in his report of 1922, estimated tonnage above the Rand level to be approximately 10,000,000 tons; H. C. Humes in his report of December 1931, estimated the grand total of available ore as 11,450,000 tons.
SIX PARALLEL VEINS — For a great man years historical records of operation, show that mining was confined to high-grade ore following the numerous veins down to the 500-foot level. However in later years the policy was changed and operations were confined to the glory-hole method in the upper part of the mine as no hoisting or development work was required and operations could be maintained at extremely low cost. Low-grade ore occurs in a triangular block of quartz monzonite and, as far as developed, is 300 feet wide by 1000 feet long, bounded by three faults. Six parallel veins in the area have been developed and worked. High grade ore bodies occur along vertical fissures and fracture zones underlying the faults and carry up to $25 to $35 a ton. Five million tons of the low-grade ore in sight have been estimated at $3.50 per ton. In the past year, 250,000 tons were blocked out underground, above the 300-foot level, which averages $3.60 per ton and which when sorted, will bring the mill heads of that block to approximately $5 a ton; and a new ore body, 6-feet to 13 feet wide along the north fault is said to carry ore yielding $5.50 a ton.
HIGH GRADE VALUES – In recent months a shaft has been sunk below the former workings in the high-grade portion of the mine where ore in the past has run as high as $14 a ton, and the result of this work indicates that the high-grade values will continue downward and a large tonnage of high-grade ore will be available in addition to the enormous low-grade deposits. It is the present intention of the company to first put in a pilot mill of some 240 tons and 540 tons daily capacity, and to follow this with an 1800-ton mill. Operations and developments of this property will be in charge of the chief engineer, A. W. Frold of the Anglo American Mining Corporation.
The purchase of the Yellow Aster mine promises to become one of the most profitable holdings of the Anglo American Mining Corporation, which now embraces the following properties: The Carson Hill, the Yellow Aster and the Bishop Creek gold mines, the latter being one of the largest quicksilver producers in America, and negotiations have been practically completed for the purchase of the Mayflower mine in the Grass Valley district.
OPPERATE OTHER PROPERTIES – The Yellow Aster purchases follows closely the entry of the Anglo American mining interests in the Carson Hill mine at Melones, Calaveras County, California, where John A. Burgess, widely known mining engineer, has already taken charge of operations. According to plans of Anglo American Mining Corporation, the present mill of the Carson Hill is to be increased from its capacity of approximately 400 tons per day to 1500 tons per day, as rapidly as circumstances permit. The Carson Hill mining group is one of the largest of the Mother Lode gold mines with a total record of production of $30,000,000.
The Anglo American Mining Corporation has combined the interests of important financial groups in New York, London, Paris, and the Pacific Coast, and their activities will stimulate the tremendous possibilities of California’s gold mining properties, when properly financed and under competent engineering guidance. The board of directors of Anglo American Mining Corporation includes; the Marquis Eric de Belleville and Baron E. L. de Benseler of Paris; A. W. Fellows, R. R. Bannon and H. B. Fumbana of London; W. L. Brown, Theodore Gross and S. Grosshard of New York; Ralph Arnold of Los Angeles and H. W. Klipstein and associates of San Francisco.” — Bakersfield Californian
September 26, 1933: “YELLOW ASTER TO BE DEVELOPED BY PARISIAN BARONS—Randsburg, Sept. 26.—Erection of a large mill at the Yellow Aster mine, where the Anglo American Mining Corporation, holding an option to purchase the once prolific producer, is doing extensive sampling and exploration work, is predicted should findings be up to expectations.
The corporation is reported to be adequately financed for proper development of the holdings. Associated with Sol Crossboard, president, in the enterprise are Baron de Hansisur and Marquis de Belleville, both of Paris, and other financiers of London and New York, it is asserted. A. W. Frollis is manager of the corporation.”—Bakersfield California
October 16, 1933: “ANGLO-AMERICAN OPERATIONS TO BEGIN ON YELLOW ASTER—Randsburg, Oct. 16.—The Anglo-American Mining Company, new owner of the famed Yellow Aster mine, today took over active management of the property which is said to have produced more than $10,000,000 in gold since its discovery in 1895. Planning to construct a new mill with 500-ton capacity and to completely rehabilitate the old mine workings, the new operators are expected to double the present staff of workers within the next week, increasing the number of men employed there from 150 to 300.
Following is a statement of the company’s plans for development of the great mine, as authorized by Henry Klipstein, director of the purchasing company:
GLORY HOLE METHODS –“The mine has been worked principally by glory hole methods, which left a gaping crater, from the contour of which myriad veins radiate into virgin territory.
“The Anglo-American Company secured a lease and option on the property April 29, 1933. Since that time A. W. Frolli, chief engineer for the company, has been conduction extensive metallurgical tests and examinations of the ore body, with the results that the new equipment has been purchased for the mine and mill. This material should be on the ground and ready for installation by the fifteenth of this month.
“The management has systematically outlined a step-by-step program of development and steps designed to lead to profitable operation of the Yellow Aster mine as a low-grade producer that will feed between 1000, to 2000 tons of ore per day to a new modern mill which will be the last word in efficiency and economy.
TO REPAIR MILL – “The present stamp mill which has been running on approximately 100 tons of ore per day will be repaired and reconditioned, with new parts installed where necessary. Flotation and cyanidation will be added, so that its full capacity of 250 tons per day may be utilized in making exhaustive ore tests on a big scale. It is planned to have this pilot mill in operation by the first part of December.
“The purpose of repairing and remodeling the plant is to use it for determining as nearly as possible the exact gold content in every part of the deposit. This will be accomplished by running drifts and crosscuts, together with raises, from the glory hole and underground workings. Ore from these places as well as from various old workings will be put through the mill, and accurate assays will be kept to determine and keep a close check on values.
“In the course of these preliminary operations details regarding costs will be worked out and comprehensive tests will be made on a big scale will be worked out and comprehensive tests will be made on a big scale to determine the correct milling method to be employed in obtaining the high recovery at the lowest possible operating cost. The data will serve as a guide in the erection of the larger and permanent plant.
PLAN HUGE OUTPUT—The underground workings of the Yellow Aster extend 320 feet below the present bottom of the open glory hole. A winze was sunk recently to a depth of 40 feet from the lowest level and sulphide ore assaying $8.05 a ton was encountered. If this sulphide ore continues according to the geologists, it will bear out the contention of several experts that since the hanging wall and footwall are dipping towards each other, they may at a little greater depth form a fissure vein where values could be concentrated in the smaller area producing high-grade ore.
“It is estimated that the total cost of mining and milling upward of 1,000 tons per day will amount to $1 a ton. The metallurgical problem is simple, as the gold is mostly free and the ore is decomposed granite and quartz, easy to extract. Flotation machines will be used to obtain a concentrate from the plate tailings and the concentrates will then be cyanided, according to present plans.
“The tonnage that can be considered blocked out at the present time is variously estimated by examining engineers at from 6,000,000 to 12,000,000 tons of oxidized ore.””—Bakersfield Californian
January 10, 1940: “ DOCUMENTS RECORDED AT HALL OF RECORDS “ANGLO AMERICAN MINING CORPORATION LTD. Quitclaims to Yellow Aster Mining and Milling Company all rights in option dated April 29, 1933, etc., covering various pantented and unpatented mines in Kern and San Bernardino counties, comprising the Yellow Aster Mining Properties.”—Bakersfield Californian
1980s:THE MINE WAS RE-OPENED by the Glamis Gold, Ltd. Corporation who worked out the whole ore body by open pit, heap leaching methods. Both the Baltic and Lamont properties, in the Stringer District directly to the South, were included. The average gold content of the ore processed was .002 ounces to the ton (?).
“GLAMIS GOLD, LTD. was a Reno, Nevada based gold producer with operations in the Americas. In 2006 they expected to produce 620,000 ounces of gold at a total cash cost of US$190 per ounce. They remained 100% unhedged.
August 31, 2006:Goldcorp acquired Glamis Gold for $8.6 billion USD, creating one of the world’s largest gold mining companies with combined assets of $21.3 billion USD . The takeover was completed in November 2006.” - Wikipedia