PRIDHAM & QUINN EUREKA MILL (KINYON MILL AND SNOW MILL)

Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

The Men in the Lower Left of This Photo are Preparing the Foundation for the Eureka Mill. The Little Butte Mine Is In the Background. -- Photo Courtesy of Greg Bock

January 28, 1898: “It is stated on good authority that capitalists have decided to build a good mill on the Kenyon hill within the next thirty days.” – The Herald

February 5, 1898: “A NEW STAMP MILL is to be erected on Fiddler’s Gulch on part of the ground belonging to the Kinyon mine.  The parties are now in Los Angeles negotiating for the plant and it is an assured thing.” — The Saturday Times and Weekly Mirror

February 07, 1898: “RANDSRI’RG, Feb. 6.—(Regular Correspondence.) Work has commenced on the excavation for the new stamp mill to be erected at once near the foot of Kinyon’s hill. A road has been graded to lead up from Fiddler’s gulch to the mill site, and in the course of a few weeks the stamps of the first mill In Randsburg will be dropping upon ore. The projectors of the enterprise are Messrs. Qulnn and Priidham. Mr. Quinn’s reputation while connected with the Cuddeback lake mill is sufficient to insure the public that the enterprise will be a success so far as he can make it.” – The Herald

February 12, 1898: “WORKMAN BEGAN A WEEK AGO on the foundation for the new mill at Messrs. Pridham & Quinn.  The mill machinery, all but the engine, and an order for that has been given to a Los Angeles firm, is on the ground and the work of building is ready to begin.  A 10,000 gallon redwood tank is contracted for, to be placed in the top of the hill to hold the water supply for the mill, and in a little time the dropping of the first stamp in Randsburg will be heard.” — The Saturday Times and Weekly Mirror

Eureka Mill Was the First Mill Built in Randsburg, It was built by Pridham & Quinn. -- Collection of Kern County Museum

March 7, 1898:THE NEW STAMP MILL of Pridham and Quinn is now complete the engine up in place, plenty of rich ore on the platform, and the stamps ready to drop.  It will begin work tomorrow.”  Los Angeles Daily Times

March 21, 1898: “The New Mill it sounds good to hear the continual thump of the stamps over at the new mill on Fiddler’s gulch, says the Randsburg Miner. It is the beginning of a new era in Randsburg. Less than a year ago today a man who was supposed to be well posted on water and water formations said to the writer: “You can never expect to make much of a town of Randsburg, for without mills a mining town is necessarily tame, and you can never have water.” We now have the first mill and will have the water in a very short time. The mill is well supplied with water and will be better supplied in the near future. In starting the new mill Messrs. Pridham & Quinn wisely argued that it is better to have a small mill and keep it running continually than to have a large one and let it lie idle half the time; that is why the new mill is only a two-stamper. But they have ample power to run two more stamps, and we predict that ere another six months roll around they will be dropping four stamps Instead of two.” – The Herald

May 27, 1898: “THE EUREKA MILL in Randsburg is kept constantly pounding with ore enough ahead for three months. ”  Los Angeles Daily Times

June 14, 1898:  “During the month of May, the Eureka mill at Randsburg, owned by Messrs. Quinn and Pridham, cleaned up over $113,000 from mill runs made from several mines, among which were the following: Napoleon, 2″ tons, $110 per ton; Merced, 8 tons, $70 per ton; Santa Ana 6 tons, $150 per ton; Sunshine, 15 ton, $130 per ton; Kinyon ? tons, $ISO per ton; Blackhawk, 30 tons, $15 per ton; Magnanetta, 2<£ tons, $160 per ton.  This is a pretty good showing for a two stamp mill in a camp where there is supposed to be no high grade ores. Outsiders will have to acknowledge that we have more high grade ore than we are given credit for. On Saturday the Eureka mill made a clean up of thirty tons of Butte ore.” – The Herald

July 18, 1898: “THE EUREKA MILL is taking a rest of a few days, the first since the mill started some months ago. ”  Los Angeles Daily Times

August 10, 1898: “AT THE EUREKA MILL the foundation is being laid for the erection of a cyanide plant. There will be three tanks, with a capacity of ten tons each, to receive the tailings; Just above them will be the tanks holding the cyanide solution, and below will be tanks containing zinc chips. One and a quarter pounds of cyanide are used to a ton of tailings assaying from $10 to $20, higher grades requiring more. Usually tailings require four or five days’ submersion in the cyanide solution, but It has been found that sixty hours submersion is sufficient for the ores of this district. From Kinyon and Wedge tailings over 90 per cent of the gold can be extracted. From the average ore of the district from 85 to 90 per cent is recovered. ” – The Herald

September, 2, 1898:  “LAST TUESDAY THE NEW CYANIDE PLANT at the Eureka mill, Randsburg, was put in operation.  It has a capacity of ten tons per day, and it is believed that before another year is over there will be many more cyanide plants in that district.  The general opinion is that they could be used too much advantage if the cost of them could be lowered. ”  Los Angeles Daily Times

September, 9, 1898: “THE NEW CYANIDE WORKS of Pridham & Quinn at Randsburg have been started up, and are working satisfactorily.  The Randsburg Miner, speaking of this new plant says: “Everything is very conveniently arranged, and a car on a truck operated by the same power that runs the stamp, hauls the material off from the dump.  The pulp before the process of cyaniding is begun assays a little over $4.  How nearly it is all taken out is not yet known. ”  Los Angeles Daily Times

Sept 10,  1898: “The cyanide plant the Eureka mill has been completed, and was set in operation on Tuesday last. So far it has been tested it works very satisfactorily. The plant has a capacity of ten tons per day. The ore from several mines in the district contain manganese, and it is impossible to extract nearly all the gold -without a cyanide treatment.” – The Herald

September 18, 1898: The Eureka mill cleaned up this week, after a run of Wedge ore, and the stamps have been dropping on Butte and Sunshine rock. A run is now being made on Rattlesnake ore.” — The Herald

September 18, 1898: The cyanide plant recently erected at the Eureka mill is working successfully.  About 100 per cent of the assay value of the tailings is saved by this process. The mill has been running this week on some Little Butte ore, taken from the 520–foot level, and the tailings will be treated by the cyanide process. This rock assays $17 or $18 per ton, and about half is base. This milling is in the nature of a test, as so far it is the only rock in the district of that character.  — The Herald

September 18, 1898:  “The new cyanide works of Pridham & Quinn at Randsburg have been started up, and are working satisfactorily. The Randsburg Miner says that everything is very conveniently arranged, and a car on a track operated by the same power that runs the stamp hauls the material off from the dump. The pulp before the process of cyaniding is begun assays a little over $4. How nearly it is all taken out is not yet known.” – San Francisco Call

September 26, 1898:  “THE CYANIDE PLANT made the first clean-up today, the result of 120 tons of tailings.  The gold is not yet retorted, so the result is not known, but from assays made it is thought to be quite satisfactory.  The Eureka mill, connected with the cyanide works, is running on ore from the Little Butte. ”  Los Angeles Daily Times

October 7, 1899: “MR. HARRISON OF THE  BLACK HAWK MILL finished babidting the gasoline engine at the Kinyon mill, and the little mill is now running at its best.” –Randsburg Miner

May 19, 1900: “ JAMES MONTGOMERY and his partners had a nice clean-up this week at the Kinyon Mill, the result of a run of seven tons of ore from the Bryan mine.”  —  Randsburg Miner

January 2 1904: “THE KINYON MILL will start up the first of this week under the management of C. H. Snow.  The first ore milled will be from the Su

This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Mills, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top