Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:

 L. W. Livengood & Noble

Livengood & Noble 1915 -- English

 Mr. Livingood who appears to have been in the blacksmithing trade in Johannesburg as early as 1913, was listed in the 1920 business directory as conducting a garage business in Johannesburg. 1

Livengood & Christiernsen Johannesburg 1917 -- English

L. W. Livengood & Christiernsen

 By 1917 the partnership of Livengood and Noble and been dissolved and Christiernsen and joined the firm.

 Hill Brothers—Johannesburg Garage and Machine Shop

As Modes of Transportation Changed So Did the Repair Shops and Blacksmiths Became Garage and Machine Shops. -- English

F. P. and F.E. Hill ran a garage in Johannesburg in 1915 through 1917 shortly before constructing a garage in Randsburg.

Different Name of Garage But the Same Brothers as Proprietors. -- English



Hardie Witt — Rand Motor Company

Hardie, who was later to open a garage in Randsburg which was also the Ford Agency in the 1930’s, first was listed as a mechanic in Johannesburg in 1924, where, apparently he and his brother had acquired the agency for the Star car.  It was reported in the August 15 edition of the Randsburg Times that they had sold two of the autos, one to Frank Bacca, and the other to L. E. Netherton.  2

This entry was posted in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Merchants. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top