1962: East end of town of Randsburg, on south side of the main street through Randsburg. The company owned the Good Hope, Standard, Four Hundred, Amended Galveston, and Twin Brother patented lode claims in 1949.
The total output of gold from the mine was not determined, but is estimated by the writers to be valued at $50,000. Most of the ore mined was mined during the intervals 1897-1901, 1913-1917, and 1934-40. It averaged about .25 ounces of gold per ton. About 1955, a five stamp mill on the property was modified to handle scheelite ore from the Billy Burke mine a few tens of feet south of the mill. The consolidated mine has been idle since about 1940. The two principal veins at the Consolidated mine the Butte and Good Hope, occupy faults about 1000 feet apart in Rand schist. The workings of the consolidated mine consist of a 500 foot main inclined shaft on each of the two principal veins. Drift levels extent and approximately 50-foot intervals from both shafts and aggregate several thousand feet in length. The upper levels connect with several shorter shafts to the surface. Most of the stopes were developed in the upper levels and averaged 2 to 4 feet in width – Mines and Minerals of Kern County California, California Division of Mines and Geology County Report 1
April 14, 1896: “THE RUSH TO RANDSBURG still continues, although nearly every foot of land within a radius of five miles from the big “Olympus” lode has been located. Gold mining is a funny business anyway.
Some unsuccessful prospectors last week left for Cook’s Inlet and the “land of the midnight sum,” because they could not strike as big a ledge as the “Rand” or “Trilby.”
The very next day, some young Englishmen – H. C. Tate, B. B. Summers, J. E. Barney, H. C. Barney and others of Bakersfield – struck a ledge which for richness in the yellow metal dwarfs anything recently found on the pacific slope. As ounce of rock horn-spooned two dollars, or $48,000 per ton. This is from a ledge that has been walked over for the past six months. The ledge is eight inches wide in well-defined walls of porphyry and mica schist and runs from $2 per pound to the above almost fabulous figure.
Afterward George Kinyon and his two sons began to investigate a location they had adjoining this bonanza and soon uncovered the very same ledge just as rich. The hills in the immediate vicinity were soon swarming with eager prospectors, and locations were made by moonlight.” –
Daily CalifornianApril 23, 1896: “WILLIAM STOCKTON, brother to Chris Stockton of this place and an experienced mining man, has just returned from a visit to the Randsburg region and the Argus Mountain. He fully confirms the reports of rich strike that have come from there. He closely examined the Kenyon mine, and says it is the richest he ever saw. The Kenyons positively refused to sell their mine at any price or to even part with an interest therein, though, asked to name their own price. A specimen from the mine which was given to Mr. Stockton is literally speckled with free gold.” –Daily Californian
April 23, 1896: “MR. KENYON recently took out $5.25 in three hours with a mortar and hornspoon, and says he can take out from $15 to $20 a day every day in this manner.” – Daily Californian
April 25, 1896: A SERIOUS ACCIDENT occurred last week in the Kenyon’s mine on the Bonanza lode. George Kenyon and his two sons had just put in a shot and stood at the bottom of the shaft “cleaning up” when the upper part of the hanging wall gave way and completely buried them under the debris. Will Kinyon extricated himself from the mass and crawled out uninjured, but his brother John and his father with difficulty wrenched themselves loose and in doing so injured John’s spine and probably fractured some ribs of George Kenyon’s so that they had to be carried to their home on a stretcher. They were only down a few feet under the hanging wall and the upper part was decomposed and had not been removed, as should have been done.” – Daily Californian
May 11, 1896: “THE MINER’S WORKING in the Rand District in the extreme northern part of San Bernardino County feel greatly encouraged at the appearance of things. George Kenyon and his sons have made a rich strike. The ledge is about eight feet in width, of uniform quality and dimensions. The extremely rick strike is a strip extending through this ledge which is only four inches in width, but which runs thousands. The Remainder of the ledge runs $50 per ton. The owners of the ledge are not attempting to work any of the ore, but are sacking it up in quantities. They are paying expenses by pounding up some of the high-grade as they need it. There are a number of other promising mines in the vicinity, notably those being developed by Burcham & Co., E. Kelley, Mciness & Sons, and Kuffel & Swarthout.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
May 19, 1896: “GEORGE KENYON has been brought in from the Rand Mining District where he had leg broken by a cave in. He was also considerably bruised, but his injuries were not serious. His son accompanied him to the city. (San Bernardino)” – Los Angeles Daily Times
June 10, 1896: “A CRUSHING OF ORE from the Kenyon mine has just produced about $550 to the ton. One wouldn’t need more than a million tons of such rock to be “put on velvet”.” – Daily Californian
June 25, 1896: THE KINYON MINE is adjoining, and a run at the same mill on six tons of rock netted $2,800. – The Record Union
July 2, 1896: “RANDSBURG MINING DISTRICT—RANSBURG, (VIA MOJAVE) July 1, 1896—A clean-up yesterday at the Garlock mill at Cow Wells netted nine and one-half pounds of gold from fourteen tons of ore from the Kenyon mine.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
August 26, 1896: “THE KINYON MINE at Randsburg was visited this week and it is proving a veritable bonanza for its owners. A piece of quartz the size of a plate was exultantly shown by the proud possessor which looked as if Dame Nature had intended to make a plate of gold beans. Although the usual lump of bacon was missing, the gold beans were there in profusion.” – Daily Californian
September, 15 1896: KENYON MINE (QUARTZ)—It lies 1 mile N. E. of Randsburg, at 3450’ elevation. It is a new discovery and lies on the same vein as the Butte. The vein is 4’ wide, and is exposed in an incline shaft 30’ deep. The quartz shows free gold, and is very rich. Kenyon & Sons of Randsburg, owners.” California State Mining Bureau, Thirteenth Report of the State Mineralogist for the Two Years Ending September 15, 1896
September 16, 1896: THE KENYON MINE is producing more rich ore, which is being sacked up awaiting its turn at the mill.” – Daily Californian
September 21, 1896: “OUTSIDE OF THE RAND GROUP there are many paying mines, among which are the Butte, owned by Tate & Ramey, who ship rich ore to San Francisco; the Kenyon mine owned by George Kenyon and sons, which is producing phenomenally rich ore, some of which was worth $300 a sack of 120 pounds. They made a large milling recently which yielded $200 per ton.” – Daily Californian
November 5, 1896: “G. KENYON AND SONS’ MINE, the Good Hope, is in on an incline of 70 feet with a 60-foot drift on a ledge 8 feet in width. The good hope is one of the best prospects, with free milling ore, an excellent overhanging wall of porphyry and a granite foot wall. Four hundred sacks of this ore have been milled, which turned out 184 ounces gold from the retorted quartz. Mr. Kenyon has about completed negotiations for having a mill placed upon his property.” – Daily Californian
November 11, 1896: “NEXT IS THE KENYON MINE which is turning out very rich ore, some of which runs as high as $150 per ton. They have two shafts about sixty feet deep, and are working six men.” – Daily Californian
November 22, 1896: “KINYON AND SONS’ mines were started in April. They are situated north of the Butte mine. There is one incline seventy feet in length, an air shaft sixty feet and a drift from shaft fifty feet in length. The ore is all free milling gold, with a very small percentage of sliver. The first ore milled showed $600 to the ton. The last fifty tons taken clear across the ledge of eight feet showed $175 to the ton. There has been taken out of the seventy-foot incline and milled since commencement about -50 tons. Between 3000 and 4000 sacks have also been sold from the dump. The ores are milled at Kane Springs.” – Los Angeles Herald
December 19, 1896: “THE ST. ELMO. AND GOOD HOPE are being worked both night and day at a big profit.” – The Californian
January 10, 1897: “W. H. SHINN who has lately established a law office at Randsburg, in speaking of the remarkable of that district said yesterday. “The Kinyon Mine, or more properly the Good Hope, is now bonded for $125,000 by the Kenyon’s to Smith and Centre of Pasadena. The bond runs until February 1, and the sale will doubtfully be consummated before that date. The ore of the Good Hope has been shipped for months and has averaged $112 to the ton.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
January 20, 1897: “IT HAS BEEN REPORTED that the Kenyon’s have bonded their mine, but the report is unfounded, and from a talk with them today, it is not likely that anyone will get a bond on that property, except at a very high figure. They are now working at about the same depth as the Butte- 140 feet – and the ore shows fully as rich as ever. They have nearly or quite one hundred tons or rich ore on the dump.” – Los Angeles Times
March 8, 1897: “THE FIRST ACCIDENT in any of the mines here for a long time occurred yesterday in the Kenyon mine, when a miner named James Frazier was caved on and had a leg broken between the ankle and the knee, and was otherwise bruised. Dr. Seibert was called upon, set the bone and made the man as comfortable as possible.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
March 18, 1897: “THE KENYONS are putting up hoisting works on the Good Hope and in a few days the ore will be taken out with a whim. They are down 150 feet, and have drifts each way, but so far have done not stoping. It leaves the mine in excellent condition, either to continue work or sell.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
March 28, 1897: “GEORGE B. KINYON, owner of the principal mine in Randsburg, has been spending a week in this city. (Colton) ” – The Herald
April, 12, 1897: “EQUALLY ENCOURAGING is the outlook on the Kenyon, adjoining on the west, and very rich ore is being taken from that mine, although the work is not pushed to the same extent as in the Wedge.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
May 6, 1897: “THE KINYON MINE recently milled twenty tons of ore which netted its fortunate owners $3800 or $190 a ton.” — The Herald
May 26, 1897: “THE KENYONS have struck some very rich ore in the Good Hope mine, the best yet, and that means much when it is known that has been milled from that mine yielding as high as $600 per ton. This last very rich rock was struck yesterday in a drift to the east toward the Wedge, on the 135 foot level. The ore had all been very good, the last milling going $145 per ton, but in this free gold is visible in nearly all of it, and Mr. Kenyon says he is sure he can select pounds of it that will go $1 per ounce, or at that rate $24,000 per ton. At the point where the richest ore was struck they have uncovered it to a width of three feet, and expect to take out several tons tomorrow. This mine is being operated on a very careful and conservative basis, and up to a few days ago, when a whim was put in and a new hoist house built, all the hoisting had been done by hand power and out in the open air without protection from the weather. In leveling off the ground for the new shaft house, some very rich ore was found almost on the surface, and enough sacked to more than pay the expenses of the building. Now the blacksmith shop has been places over it and Mr. Kenyon says he guesses it will keep until they need it worse than now, then they will know where to look for it.” – Los Angeles Daily Times.
May 26, 1897: “A CROSSCUT was recently made in the hanging wall of the Kinyon mine, and two feet of ore was developed, many specimens of which showed abundant free gold. In this locality it is believed that if crosscuts were more extensively made other parallel and diagonal vein would be cut and would prove to be as rich as anything developed in the past.” – The Herald.
May 30, 1897 RANDSBURG, May 29.—The rich strike made a week ago today in. the Kinyon mine continues to increase in richness. The pay streak holds almost a uniform width of three and a half feet/and over eighty sacks of the rich rock have been taken out during the week. Much of this rock will produce $1 per ounce, and conservative miners estimate the entire lot will run 316,000 per ton. – The Herald
May 1897: THE CALIFORNIA RAND – Listed in the Overland as one of the producing mines of the Rand District in March of 1897. It was discovered February 11, 1896, and had produced $35,000 in ore by March of 1897. The shaft at that point was 140 feet deep. – Overland Magazine
June 12, 1897: “THE GOOD ORE in the Kenyon mine still holds out, and they are sacking ore now from the east drift toward the Wedge, worth $500 per ton. On Saturday last the Kenyons took ten tons to the sampling works, receiving $508 per ton for it. They have another small lot of perhaps as many tons, which they will take over in a few days. This is only their best ore as the next grade is sacked and piled up in the shaft-house. They have recently sold 100 tons of low grade ore to a mill in Garlock, and it is being hauled now. They had intended to keep this and have it milled themselves, but being busy with other work sold it outright to the mill. The last ore milled from this mine was twenty-five tons at Garlock, which gave a return of $147 per ton. No effort is being made to rush things at this mine, work only being prosecuted in daylight, and working five ment besides the owners who all do something. In a short time however they expect to begin sinking the shaft deeper, and to drift to the west for the purpose of development.” — Los Angeles Daily Times
June 25, 1897: “THE KINYON MINE at Randsburg made a shipment of 134 sacks of ore a few days ago that netted them $3420.87, or an average of $508 per ton.” – The Herald
June 29, 1897: “THE KENYON which was taken up by man of that name and his son, is not yet fully developed. Father and son, knowing the evil power of debt, have been content to work with an old style mortar, washing the gold day and night, and in some cases selling the ore and de—-ting the proceeds to further development of the mine. They now have about fifty men at work and the ore assays about $1,000 to the ton. I met the old man Kenyon and had a long talk with him. He is a typical miner, and dearly loves the excitement.” – Woodland Daily Democrat
July 11, 1897: “WHEN MOOERS ON HIS FIRST TRIP HERE in 1895, arrived back in Mojave on his return to Fresno, he made no secret of what he had discovered, but talked about it openly to everyone he knew or met. While but few reposed much confidence in what he said, there were a couple of boys at Colton named Will and Johnnie Kinyon who heard about it and thought there might be something in Moore’s statements. They decided to come over and have a look at it anyway. Loading up a couple of burros with grub and tools, they reached here in the early part of September, 1895, and after some nosing around located the mine which bears their name. Their father was and still it a butcher in Colton, and it was not very long after the departure of his two sons that he received word from them that they had struck a good thing and which was further indorsed by some of the gold they had horned out from the surface rock. The mine is jointly owned by the father and the two tons. On receipt of the news from the boys, the old man came over to have a look at the mine, and it is now well known that it was not an uncommon occurrence for them to horn an average of $12 worth of gold apiece per day, although at that time they kept the facts pretty quiet. The Kinyon has been from the start and is today one of the best paying mines on the Rand, nor was any money needed at any time, even at its start, for its development other than it yielded. The first shipment of ore to a mill was made on September 20, 1895 and consisted of 100 sacks, which gave returns of nearly $3000. That fact settled right there and then the value of the mine for what that first shipment showed it had continued to show ever since. There is a story told about those first hundred sacks which goes to show that the showing might have been even much better than it was had they been up to time for delivery. Their agreement was to deliver 100 sacks of ore at the mill on a certain day. Word came from the mill to send along the ore as per agreement, but they only had sixty sacks ready. Without much deliberation they sacked up forty sacks of low grade ore from the dump, so as to make up the required 100 sacks. If the sixty sacks had been crushed separately the percentage of yield would have been greatly increased. The mine is under the superintendence of Jim Fraser, who likes to work better than he does to talk. The tally for last month (June) was shown to me at the mine, and the ore milled yielded an average of $508.90 to the ton. For the present month up to the 6th inclusive, 214 sacks of ore have been sent to the mill, but the (result) was not given. Most of the ore from this mine is crushed at Smith’s mill in Garlock, and the balance at the sampling works at Johannesburg. The main shaft is down about one hundred and forth feet, and it is generally admitted that the ore which is now being taken out at that level is probably the richest ever taken from a mine in Southern California. It is useless to talk of what assays of small pieces of the rock show, for while they might show way up into the thousands of dollars per ton, they are never are indication of the average. That the Kinyon has remarkably rich ore is known and admitted, and I have it on good authority, but at the same time from one who has no interest immediate or remote in the property, that the Kinyon’s were offered but refused $100,000 in hard cash for the mine.” – Los Angeles Daily Times
July 24, 1897: “RANDSBURG, Cal… July 23—Wells-Fargo this afternoon delivered thirty-one pounds of double eagles, or $8445, to the owners of the Kinyon mine as the result of mill run of fifty-six tons of ore. This ore was extracted in the regular development work now being done in one of the levels. The tailings brought in an additional $600,” – The San Francisco Call
August 2, 1897: “FROM FIFTY-SIX TONS OF ORE taken from the Kinyon mine about $9045 was secured; the tailing brought $600, the balance, $8445, was saved on the mill. Theoutput of the Kinyon mine for June was$15,000 even.” – The Herald
August 30 1897: “THE KINYON MINE produced something over $9,000 in July, with the greater part of the month devoted to dead work. The dead work has been continued since, so that the August output will of necessity be very light.” Daily Californian
October 31, 1897: “THE KINYON – This Is one of the greatest producers of ore In the Rand district. At least $80,000 worth of gold has been taken out during the past two years, and, as Mr. Kinyon, sr., and the sons said to the writer, “The Kinyon is not for sale.” Unfortunately, after several attempts between the blasts to get down the shaft, the writer was compelled to defer his visit into the mine until some more opportune time.” – The Herald
November 22, 1897: “W. KINYON, G. B. KINYON AND J. J. KINYON have made application for a patent on the Good Hope quartz mine in the Rand mining district In Kern County.” – The Herald
November 23, 1897: “THE KINYON Is demonstrating the fact that depth adds to the value of mining property in the Rand district. They are taking out very rich ore at the present time. ” – The Herald
January 3, 1898: “THE KINYON MINE is having a mill run this week at Cuddeback lake.” – San Francisco Call
January 28, 1898: IN THE KINYON MINE last Saturday at a depth of 255 feet a body of base ore assaying $157.09 was discovered, which is a good indication of permanency. One thousand dollar ore has just been found in the Little Butte mine at a depth of 365 feet. ” – The Herald
February 06, 1898: “THE KINYON MINE at Randsburg is to have a stamp mill— the first in that district.” – San Francisco Call
February 7, 1898: “A UNITED STATES PATENT has been granted to the miners of the Good Hope mine, better known as the Kinyon.” — The Herald
February 10, 1898: THE FAMOUS KINYON or Good Hope mine, which lately received its government patent, has about 200 tons of ore on the dump ready for mill.”—Daily Californian
March 03, 1898: “THE FIND ON THE KINYON was made on the surface, under an old dump which was being shoveled away. The strike was made late yesterday afternoon, and up to noon today three tons of the rock, which assays $1000 to the ton, had been taken out.” – The Herald
April 04, 1898: “OVER AT THE KINYON MINE they have about EOO sacks of tine ore that is waiting its turn to be run at the Eureka mill, which will produce lots of the yellow stuff when it is’ run through. Some of it is extraordinarily rich, and it is safe to say that the whole lot will run above $100 per ton.” – The Herald
April 4, 1898: “THE MILL (Eureka) is now working on a fifty-ton lot from the Kinyon, which will go about $100 per ton. — Los Angeles Daily Times
April 4, 1898: “THE KINYONS are also sending a milling of lower grade ore to Cuddeback Lake” — Los Angeles Daily Times.
April 06, 1898: “THE STAMPS at the Eureka mill are pounding away on 100 tons of rich Kinyon ore. A clean-up will be made Wednesday. ” – The Herald
April 9, 1898: “RANDSBURG, April B.—On Wednesday a clean-up of fifty tons of Kinyon ore was made at the Eureka mill, resulting in $6500 of bullion.” –The Herald
April 15, 1898: “THE EUREKA MILL recently crushed fifty tons of ore from the Kinyon mine which netted $6500.” — Los Angeles Daily Times
May 15, 1898: “MESSRS KINYON of the Good Hope mlne have purchased a large flag, and now “Old Glory” is daily flung to the breeze from Gold hill.” – The Herald
May 27, 1898: THE KINYON MINE has shipped some ore to Barstow, and the Yellow Aster is going to send a good deal there also.” –The Los Angeles Daily Times
July 19, 1898: “REDONDO–Mr. and Mrs. William Kenyon, Mr. and Mrs. John Kenyon and Miss Georgia Kenyon, owners of the well-known Kenyon mines, of Randsburg, have established themselves in cottages on the beach, and expect to remain for some time.” – The Herald (Researchers Note: Randsburg and the surrounding area can be very uncomfortable in the Summer with temperatures reaching 108 degrees and sometimes higher. Although with modern conveniences such as the Desert Swamp Cooler in our houses and businesses and air conditioning in our cars it is quite livable. In the pioneer days these conveniences were not available and even burlap hung over the window and kept wet did not good if there was no breeze as there was no electricity for fans. Thus any family that could, would rent a cottage on the beach, and those that could not would pitch a tent on the public beach and stay for the summer.)
October 6, 1898: “SUING SCHOOL TRUSTEES — John, Wilfred and G B. Kinyon have brought suit to obtain possession of the Good Hope mine, and for $20 rent and $15 damages. The defendants in the case art the trustees of Randsburg district, H. R. Bacon, F. W. Good body and G.B. Benson. The plaintiffs claim that they rented the Half Way house in Randsburg to the school officers at $20 per month and that now $20 is due them. They want it.” – Daily Californian
November 21, 1898: “THE KINYON has accidentally struck a load of very rich ore.” — The Sun
March 1899: “IN THE EARLY PART of August 1895, less than three months after the original discovery of the first mines in the district by Messrs. Moore, Singleton and Burcham, John Kinyon arrived in camp, soon followed by his brother William and his father. It was not many days before they located the mine which has since been known as the Kinyon. It was very rich on the surface and the lucky discovers took out some of the richest ore that the earth has ever produced—some of it as saying as high as $16,000 per ton. It was most talked of in the early history of the camp, and was one of the convincing arguments used by enthusiastic prospectors to induce their friends to visit the new gold fields. And while wild stories have been told about the fabulous amounts of glittering gold taken from its depths, nothing has been said about the real value of the mine that is in any way over drawn, so far as we have learned. It is a veritable bonanza locked in Nature’s great treasure vault, to which Mr. Kinyon and sons hold the key. The rock on the surface was so rich that no money was needed for its development other than what it produced. In the early history of the mine they frequently pounded up in a hand mortar and horned out as high as $50 per day, and it goes with saying that they did not work full time. It was in this way that money was obtained for buying tools, living and taking out the first mill run of ore, of which fifty sacks netted $3,000. There is a wide spread misconception as to the amount of work done on the mine, many, in fact, nearly all, supposing that it has been worked by a large force of men since discovery, while as a matter of fact the work has been carried on by a small crew in a quiet way. They have often been asked why they did not put up a mill and put on a large number of men and take out the great wealth the mine is supposed to contain. The writer has often heard them answer “The money is as safe in the ground as it would be in the best bank, and we prefer to take it out as we need it.” So they continue to take the ore out slowly and mill from ten to fifty tons at a time. The mine has produced over $100,000 in this moderate way of working it. The original and main shaft is down only 250 feet at which point they have run a drift to the west, nearly connecting it with the Little Butte, during which work basic or sulphide ore was found which runs over $200 per ton. The mine has always paid form the grass roots down. The first level was run at 70 feet and the second at 125, the vein was small on the surface, but has gradually increased as the shaft has gone down, until it is now over four feet wide. Very little stoping has been done, in fact none below the 125-foot level. It is safe to say that bank, as the owners call it, has a neat amount of gold on deposit to the credit of its proprietors.” – McPherson
March 3, 1900: “THE KENYON MINE is again booming rich rock and loads of it, and everyone is pleased to hear of it.” – Daily Californian
April 25, 1900: THE KINYONS have closed their mill in Randsburg because they could not get the water at a reasonable rate, and have gone to Garlock and leased the eight-stamp mill of Jean Garlock. They stared it up Wednesday and are running on a seventy-five ton lot of ore from Stanford, and when that is through they have seventy-five tons from the Gold Coin. Either John or Will Kinyon will stop in Garlock all the time.” – Daily Californian
May 20, 1900: “THE KINYON MILL at Randsburg has started up again under a new contract with the water company.” – San Francisco Call
May 27, 1900: “THE KINYON MINE at Randsburg has leased an eight-stamp mill at Garlock, to which ore will be hauled.” – San Francisco Call
September 15, 1900: “LOU SWARTHOUT AND FRED JONES have taken a lease on the Kinyon mine and are at work cleaning out the shafts and drifts preparatory to taking out ore.” –Randsburg Miner.” –Randsburg Miner
September 22, 1900; “.THE KINYON MILL is running on their own ore from their own mine. The boys who have leased it are getting out some ore though they will not have it thoroughly cleaned out for good work for some months yet.” –Randsburg Miner
October 13, 1900: “SWARTHOUT AND JONES, who are leasing on the Kinyon mine, had their second clean-up at the Kinyon this morning from twenty-nine tons of ore and realized a nice brick of more than fifty ounces. The boys are doing well. Their first milling was fourteen tons of about the same value. They are able to keep the mill running; all the time and it is now doing custom work. George B Kinyon left for Colton last evening to be gone a few days looking after his crop interests there.” –Randsburg Miner
December 29, 1900: “THE MILL RUN of thirteen tons from the Kinyon mine returned a bar of bullion valued at a little more than $2000.” –Randsburg Miner
December 29, 1900: “GOOD ORE HAS BEEN STRUCK on the south end of the Good Hope mine and Jack James and Huntly are taking out $100 rock. The shaft is down 60 feet and they are drifting towards Lloyds.” –Randsburg Miner
March 30, 1901: “W. JAMES has struck a four foot ledge of $30.00 rock in the Kinyon mine. He is taking our ore right along and will have a mill run in the near future.” – Daily Californian
April 9, 1901: “WILFRED F. KINYON SUDDENLY SUMMONED Randsburg Mine Owner Falls Dead From His Chair While Reading a Newspaper. SAN BERNARDINO, April.8.—Wilfred F. Kinyon, a wealthy mining man, dropped dead at Randsburg yesterday from paralysis of the heart. He had just finished taking a hearty dinner and commenced reading a newspaper when he fell to the floor, expiring before medical assistance could be had. Although but 32 years of age, Kinyon had accumulated a comfortable fortune. He and his father, George W. Kinyon, were the first to reach Randsburg during the great gold excitement there, and they secured several valuable claims. The Kinyon gold mine is well known as a rich producer and adjoins the celebrated Yellow Aster property.” – The San Francisco Call
August 12, 1901: “August 12, 1921: “CALIFORNIAN FILES –Twenty Years Ago –The Californian this date, 1901 –The Kinyin (sic) mine at Randsburg has been sold for $710,000.” – Bakersfield Californian
June 29, 1902: “THE CONSOLIDATED MINING COMPANY has been formed In Los Angeles, the purpose of which is to take the Kenyon and Wedge mines in the Randsburg district, and also other claims which adjoin the Yellow Aster property, and to operate them on a co-operative basis. The promoters have pooled their stock for a period of two years. The capitalization is $3,000,000.” – San Francisco Call
June 27, 1902: A NEW COMBING OF OLD MINERS – RANDSBURG PROPERTIES THROWN INTO ONE CONSOLIDATED COMPANY. – Twenty Claims, Among Them the Wedge and Kenyon, Near Yellow Aster, are Groped.—quietly, without ostentation, there has just been affected in Los Angeles an important consolidation of mining properties, which will embrace some of the most promising holdings in the famous Randsburg mining district.
A NEW COMBINE—the new combine will be known as the Consolidated Mining Company, and under that name an application for articles of incorporation has been filed. The properties included are the Kenyon and Wedge mines, both of which are important producers of the Randsburg camp, and eighteen other claims that proven mineral-bearing properay (sic). The Yellow Aster Mine adjoins several of the claims on the west, and others are on three sides of the Butte Company’s holdings. From the Kenyon and the Wedge properties there has already been taken over a quarter of a million dollars in gold.
ON-COOPERATIVE BASIS—the company to handle these properties was organized on a co-operative basis, the capitalization being $3,000,000 divided into as many shares. Of this amount half has been put in the treasury and the balance acquired by owners of the various properties turned over to the company. The promoters have pooled their stock for a period of two years. Among the backers of this enterprise are well-known business men of this city, who are provided with ample capital to make a thorough test of the holdings says the Times. W. E. de Groot is president of the company; J.W. A. Off, treasurer; T. S. Fuller, secretary, and besides the above the board of directors includes L. G. Parker, Mrs. E. A. Summers, and W. A. Baker. Other stockholders more or less identified with the company are: W. G. Kerekhoff, J. F. Sartori, C.C. Wright and John Brink.
EARLY ACTIVITY—The Company is going to begin active operations in the field at an early date, and will work on the theory that the deposit of gold-bearing rock in the Randsburg district is now a thin capping, as some experts have declared, but attains great depth. This has been proved in several of the camps, and promoters of the new combine are confident they have acquired some very rich deposits. In the deepest shaft of the Wedge mine, 115 feet below the surface, excellent pay rock is to be found.
Operations will be under the management of Percy H. McMahon, who has been superintendent of the Butte property for some time past, and is a pioneer of the Randsburg Camp.
PLENTY OF CAPITAL—The Company is now said to have on hand ample capital to carry on extensive development work, and for the present not a share of the stock is offered for sale. As soon as incorporation papers have been received from Sacramento, a large force will be put in the field.
September 20, 1902: ACCORDING TO THE Bakersfield Californian the Consolidated Mines Company is driving a crosscut tunnel through Rand Hill, at Randsburg, in the expectation of striking several mining ledges that are known to exist.” – San Francisco Call
March 14, 1903: “ANOTHER WEEKS development work on the high grade streak of ore on the Kinyon Wedge group of the Consolidated mining company mentioned in last weeks issue of the Miner served to show that the company is now on the right track of locating the long lost bonanza ore chute of those formerly famous mines This chute disappeared at a point just above the second level of the Wedge and the third level of the Kinyon mines. Below these points nothing but small and irregular bunches of ore were found in the main ledge but the work now being done develops the fact of a small but extremely high grade streak of ore leaving the main ledge and running off within the hanging and footwalls. The occurrence is precisely similar to the picking up of the ore chute near the east end of Butte mine some two years ago The rich chute then was lost and found just under the same conditions with the result that of over $100,000 having been taken out in that locality since then of course the present management tells us there is nothing sure but death and taxes but the fact remains that about one half million dollars came several years ago from the Kinyon Wedge ore chute, that the chute was lost above the levels mentioned, that the evident continuation of this chute is the shape of a small streak of ore is shown in sight in the face of a drift 15 feet away from the old ledge that frequently shows $1,000 horning’s. Randsburg Miner” – Mohave County Miner
June 17, 1903: “ALTHOUGH THE RANDSBURG CAMP is at present dead, a deal for an important property in that section was closed in this city yesterday. By the transaction the Consolidated Mines Company acquired title to the Cinderella claim, which adjoins the Bald Eagle claim, owned by the Consolidated, and the Yellow Aster, and it is considered one of the best undeveloped properties in the district.” – Daily Californian
January 1904: DEVELOPED BY TWO VERTICAL SHAFTS of 60 and 150 feet and 400 feet of drifts. Owned by Consolidated Mining Co. Superintendent P. H. McMahon. Reported to have a ledge of low grade ore. — Aubrey
February 6, 1904: “JONES AND SUMMERS who are leasing on the Kinyon mine had a milling of 2 tons of ore this week at Snow’s mill which brought them $400.” –Randsburg Miner
March 12, 1904: “LOUIE KANE will begin running the Kinyon dump next week. The ore will be crushed at Snow’s Mill.” –Randsburg Miner
March 21, 1907: “ LEN CUNNINGHAM, J. S. HART, BEN HOCH, AND ANTON PROLO have a contract from the Consolidated Mines Company to extend their long tunnel for development purposes another hundred feet. The tunnel is already into Rand Mountain over 800 feet. The will go another 300 feet if they succeed this time.” –Randsburg Miner
July 27, 1908: “SUIT OVER NANCY MINE — Suit has been brought by Messrs. Wilhite, Nosser, Rice and O’Connor to quiet title to the Nancy Mine, located in Randsburg. The matter will be settled during September and the above parties will then resume work on a large scale. The Nancy was formerly held by the Consolidated Mines Company and was known as the Kenyon mine. Through neglect the Consolidated Company lost possession of the property, which in early days produced many hundreds of thousands of dollars.” – The Herald
NOVEMBER 4, 1909: “CONSOLIDATED IS RAISING ON VEIN DISCOVERS BLIND LEDGE ON GOOD HOPE Superintendent McMahon Believed to Have Found Key to Ore System of Randsburg Mine on 200 Level. The Consolidated Mines company at Los Angeles, which is operating a group of properties at Randsburg, seems to have discovered the key to the ore bearing fissures within its lines and promises to enter the list of producers in that famous camp at no distant day. Superintendent McMahon writes from the mine that he is raising cm a promising shoot of ore which was encountered in driving a cross-cut on the 200*foot level from the Little Wedge shaft. The ledge, which is a blind one, is about four feet between walls and on the banging wall there is six inches of ore of a fine milling grade. The pannings indicating values of $25 per ton, some of them running up to $100. So far as development work has been carried since the ledge was encountered, Mr. McMahon believes that its course will carry it through the Good Hope, 400 and Wedge claims of the company, giving the Consolidated approximately 1800 feet on its course. Following tin usual ore occurrences in that camp, several good shoots of ore should be developed, The Company has also extended the 800-foot drift to within a short distance of his discovery, it is Mr. McMahons plan to locate the apex of the vein and sink a new shaft. Superintendent McMahon has mined in Randsburg for twelve years and is considered one of the best miners in that district, being thoroughly familiar with the characteristics of the Randsburg mines. He is a heavy stock holder in the company and pays the regular assessment on a large block of stock. The officers of the company
are all Los Angeles men. C. J. Lehman is president, W. G. Hunt, vice president. and G. W. Beck, secretary and treasurer, and these with J. J. Bergin, J. E. Brink, H. F. Norcross and, J. W. Oakley form the board of directors. Regular assessments are levied to provide funds for development work.” – The Herald
November 08, 1909: “THE ASSESSMENT OF THE Consolidated Mines company, a Los Angeles corporation operating at Randsburg, becomes delinquent November 10. The assessment. Is for one-fourth cent, and delinquent stock will be sold December 10. ” – Los Angeles Herald
February 2, 1911: “ALL RANDSBURG MINES PROSPER- The building for the new five stamp mill of the Good Hope is practically completed and the installation of the machinery is under way. The heavy battery block has been cemented in its foundation. The mill will be finished and ready for operation by the 10th of month. Returns of the two shipments of ore, of 30 tons each, to the Selby smelter were received recently, the first shipment yielding a brick of $1,600, while the second shipment of 30 tons resulted in a $1,300 brick. Fifty tons of ore are on the dump of Good Hope and a large tonnage is ready underground.” – San Francisco Call
March 25, 1911: PERVERTED NEWS— An example of how news may be perverted by an imaginative newspaper correspondent is given below. This item appears in one of the Los Angeles daily papers recently and was rewritten from an account published in the (Randsburg) Miner of the discovery of a seam of ore on one of the Randsburg townsite claims. Such a perversion of truth can only be severely condemned for it is misleading to those who wish the truth in such matters. The original item appearing in the Miner of March 18 was as follows:
Work is revealing more ore on the Kenyon Townsite claim and Jimmy Lord who has a lease on the claim is piling up pay rock on the dump preparatory to milling. The shaft in which the work is being done is near the main road and only 250 feet from the Episcopal Church.
Here is what appeared in the Los Angeles Times as a result of a supreme imagination:
James Lord, purchasing a lot in the Kenyon townsite, within 250 feet of the new Episcopal Church has struck it rich, and is sinking a shaft on a ledge where ore is fairly beaming with gold. The townsite is on the desert, within a short distance of Randsburg. It has been more of an agriculture district. While digging for the foundations he struck pay rock. Now the Episcopal congregation is having a difficult time refusing offers for the site of the church.” – Randsburg Miner
June 13, 1911: “GOOD HOPE MINE—This property owned by the Consolidated Mining Company, is on the west bank of Fiddler’s Gulch scarcely one hundred yard from Trinity Church. Under the supervision of Edw. Shipsey active work has been commenced upon it this week. The blacksmith shop, piping, and other equipment from the company’s long tunnel at the end of Happy Valley has been moved to this site and set up. Beginning at the end shaft a raise of 90 feet be driven in the ————-followed by vertical sinking.”—Bakersfield Morning Echo
June 13, 1911: “THE WEDGE—This rich property adjoining the Butte and Kenyon is owned by the Consolidated Mining Company. It has been a fine producer in the past and has been well worked down to the 300 foot level.”—Bakersfield Morning Echo
August 13, 1911: “CONSOLIDATED MINE —A strong vein was encountered last week in the Consolidated Mines Company’s shaft on the Good Hope claim. When the shaft reaches a depth of 100 feet drifts will be driven in the vein and preparations made to stope out the ore. ” – San Francisco Call
August 24, 1912: “SIXTY-FIVE TONS OF ORE are being hauled from the Good Hope mine, one of the properties of the Consolidated Mines Company, to the Red Dog mill. Shipping commenced Wednesday and a clean-up is expected next week. The ore will average about $80.00 per ton and has been extracted from the 250-ft. level, where an exceptionally high-grade vein was uncovered a few days ago, and specimens of which show free-gold in profusion. The property is destined to become one of the record producers of the camp.
N. M. Kirkpatrick, the superintendent of the company, is at present busy installing a gasoline hoist on the Wedge shaft. A 70- gallon bucket will be used in hoisting the water out of this and the adjoining property, the Little Butte. The Wedge shaft is about 550 feet in depth and the Little Butte 650 feet. Over 200 feet of water filling three levels has been encountered, and the water is rising steadily. No other property in this district ever filled with water, and it is the object of Superintendent Kirkpatrick at present to discover the source of the water’s influx. A meeting of the board of directors of the Consolidated Mines Company will be held on September 4th at Los Angeles.” – Bakersfield Californian
January 13, 1913: “CONSOLIDATED MINES – Grading for the foundation of the five stamp mill for the Good Hope has been completed. The machinery and lumber was received here this week and the erection of the mill building is under way.
The underground ore chutes of the Good Hope are all filled with ore and the ore bins of the surface are loaded to the utmost capacity. It is probable that the management of this mine will have to ship a carload or two of ore to the Selby smelter before the completion of the mill.
The Rand Lodging House, owned by Pat Fahey, has been leased by the Consolidated Mines Company, and a dining room will be built on. This structure is one of the best built houses in the camp and will furnish commodious quarters for the men employed at the Good Hope. The number of miners employed at this property will be increased to forth men upon completion of the mill.” – Bakersfield Californian
July 06, 1913: “IN THE RANDSBURG DISTRICT the Consolidated Mines Company is displaying much activity and the new plant recently installed is handling an excellent grade of ore. The famous Yellow Aster Company, is maintaining a heavy output and the present year promises to be one of the most prosperous in the history of the corporation. Considerable new equipment has been recently installed and an immense quantity of commercial quartz is being mined by the quarry process. A dividend of $25,000 was declared May 28, bringing the total profit disbursements of this company to $1,161,789. The King Solomon, Butte and several other Randsburg mines are shipping steadily. The: Red Dog custom mill at Johannesburg is handling large consignments of ore for lessees: — San Francisco Call
1915: “GOOD HOPE, formerly known as Good Hope and Kenyon, owned by Consolidated Mines Company, of Los Angeles; W. H. Hevren, president; S. H. Ellis, secretary; Robert Lanks, superintendent. Consists of 156 acres (patented) in Sec. 35, T. 29 S., R. 40 E., M.D.M., 1mile west of Johannesburg, in the Rand mining district. Elevation 3500 feet. Two veins, Good Hope and Butte, strike east and west, dip 56 degrees S., diorite walls, average width 20 inches. Pay shoot 300 feet long and 20 inches wide. Ore free milling. Workings consist of a shaft 300 feet deep, five levels, and several thousand feet of drifts, raises, winzes and stopes. Mine equipment consists of 15 h. p. gasoline hoist, shop, ore bins, and dwellings. Reduction equipment consists of 5-stamp Union Iron Works mill, Blake rock crusher, settling tanks and 30 h.p. motor, all operated with gasoline costing 25 cents per gallon. Water obtained from wells at Johannesburg. Tailings impounded to be cyanided at some future time. Eleven men employed. Cost (per ton): development $2, mining $2, treatment$1, general 50 cents, making a total $5.50. Adjoining mines: Yellow Aster, Big Butte, Little Butte and King Solomon.” – G. Chester Brown
April 9, 1915: “AT RANDSBURG YOU HAVE EXHIBIT of superficial diggings, not a hole on the entire lode that is down 1000 feet, and on the Gook Hope (old Kinyon) Billy Hewen (Hevren) and associates have found at about 500 feet a flow of 12,000 to 15,000 gallons of water—enough to run the mill. The ore body has changed to sulphides but is gradually bettering in quality.”—Bakersfield Californian
April 19, 1915: “CONSOLIDATED.—Under the management of George Orr, this mine is rapidly assuming an up-to-date and modern mining proposition. On the 600 feet level a new pump has been installed, lifting seventy-five gallons per minute. This alone will be sufficient to refute the statement that there is no water in this district. A compressor is also added to the plant, and air-drills will take the place of the old style single jack and hand work.
Very good ore was encountered at the water level and is sulphide in nature. An added force of men has been employed and the mill is running three shifts.”—Bakersfield Californian
June 21, 1915: “A CLEANUP AT THE Consolidated Mines Company the last part of last week resulted in a cleanup of $2,000 from a run of a little over three weeks.
Most of the ore came from the winze on the sixth level. Good ore has been encountered at this place and from its present appearance it shows that this company will have some very big cleanups in the future.
The mill is running three shifts and a few days ago a night shift was started in the mine. Work of sinking to a greater depth in the winze where water was encountered a few months ago, will be pushed as rapidly as possible.”—Bakersfield Californian
April 12, 1916: “THE CONSOLIDATED MINES at Randsburg announce that they are ready to do a custom milling business and are now able to handle about forth tons of tungsten ores daily. New concentrating tables have been added until there is now an up to date plant for tungsten ores. Supt. Tyler is well known to tungsten ores and affairs and is in a position to handle the business.” – Bakersfield Californian
November 20, 1917—THE CONSOLIDATED MINES COMPANY IS BUSY with water development and is furnishing part of the supply needed for the Atolia Mining Company.” – Bakersfield Californian
February 27, 1923: “OVER AT THE RAND CONSOLIDATED they are putting in a set a day.” – Bakersfield Californian
September 30, 1929: “OPERATIONS HAVE BEEN RESUMED at the Consolidated mine in the Randsburg District, California, under the management of Charles Norman. The Shea and Binco mine, operated by C. P. Flicker, is having its ore treated at the Windy mill.”—The Mining Journal
August 11, 1930: “LEASING ON THE Consolidated Mines incorporated, was the cause of a new gold strike in the immediate vicinity of Randsburg Camp.” Bakersfield Californian
August 30, 1930: “THE MILL OF THE CONSOLIDATED MINES COMPANY, near Randsburg, California, is operating on a shipment of ore, from the El Segundo Mine. In a short time, the mill will be operating on company ore and ore from the leases, 200 sacks now being ready. A road is being built from the Bing Hole Claim, to the mill. Charles Norman, Sr., is Superintendent in charge of operations.”– The Mining Journal
February 25, 1931: RANDSBURG, FEB. 25.—MARINO BELLO, OF LOS ANGELES, has added another miner to the three now prospecting on the Mrs. Edmonds Discarded claim and another adjoining. Both claims are situated nicely on the northern end of the Bender, and only a short distance from the old Benson gold producer. Thus far, all of the dozen leasers on the consolidated Mines acreage are trying for ground that will pay them to mill.” Bakersfield Californian
May 22, 1933: “THE CONSOLIDATED MINES are prepared to lease many claims on and bordering Randsburg town limits it is reported.” – Bakersfield Californian