Survey number:      Owner:      Date of discovery:



BLUE Claim boundaries and names are those shown by Cleveland Taylor, 1925 and Troxel & Morton, 1962.

GREEN boundaries and names are those shown by Shepard, Wheeler & Rhodes, 1897.

GOLD fills the 1908 boundaries of the Yellow Aster Mine, later enlarged.

Where claims straddle two Sections, we’ve put the text in the Section using up the most real estate.

For the purposes of organizing the mountain of information, we’ve created the Claims Category as a repository for the zillions of locations which ‘didn’t pan out’ or whose economic ore had played out before 1925.

Particularly in the beginning, many properties came under the classification of ‘Paper Claims’, held on the merest hint of color, or merely by virtue of their proximity to known producers and nuisance value.  Indeed, parcels barely large enough for an out-house produced fabulous wealth, but they were the exception, and are dumped here.

Mark Twain defined a Mine as “a hole in the ground owned by a liar.”  Where the holes are deep enough we’ve probably given it a feature article at: Randsburg>Mines.

Sorry if the organization seems confusing, kindly volunteer at the front desk to devise and implement improvements.  – WJW



Mineral Survey No. 3474, Independence Land District, claim located May 12th, 1897, known as New York Quartz Mine, owned by S. J. Montgomery, improvements consist of two shafts and two open cuts. Locate at T.29 S-R.40E. MDM Section 35.


RAND MOUNTAIN MINING COMPANY, (THE OTHER).  (Twin Brothers, Lilliam V., Bald Eagle, Colorantha No. 1, Colorantha No. 2)


July 11, 1897: “ TO  THE EAST OF THE BIG RAND MOUNTAIN, which lies to the south of this town, are the five mines belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company.  They are the Twin Brothers, Lillian V., Bald Eagle, Coloratha No. 1, and Coloratha No. 2.  The five cover an area of about 60 acres.  The properties are incorporated and capitalized at $1,000,000 in one million shares, of which 200,000 have been placed in the treasury of the company for sale, the proceeds to be applied exclusively to development work.  The management of the group is under J. W. Rogers of the Wedge mine.  Work has begun on the Twin Brothers a few days ago, and the indications are reported as being of the best.  Work is also being done of Coloratha No. 1, or Coloratha Wedge, as it is sometimes called. They began sinking on this mine about three week ago, and are now down over forty feet.  The location of the Rand Mountain claims is considered one of the best in the camp, as they lie contiguous to the Big Rand, which many miners assert will prove when they get through litigating over it and get to work on it, the richest piece of ground in all of the district.  Certain it is that these five claims belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company are in strong hands, and work on them will be energetically pushed ahead.”   — Los Angeles Daily Times

September 11, 1897:  “THIS PROPERTY COMPRISES five claims belonging to the Rand Mountain Mining Company of Los Angeles.  They are the Coloratha Wedge No. 1, Coloratha Wedge No. 2, the Twin Brothers, Lillian B. and the Bald Eagle.  They lie in a bunch to the east of the Big Rand Mountain, and a short distance south of Randsburg.  The five claims cover an area of about sixty acres, and their location is conceded to be one of the best in this camp.  The company is incorporated with a capital of $1,500,000 divided into 1,000,000 shares of which 200,000 were at the time of the formation of the company placed in the treasury, to be sold in lots from time to time, as the directors might determine, the proceeds from such sales as they are made being applied to the development of the properties.  The directors and officers are Dr. C. T. Pepper, president; F. A. Salisbury, vice-president; S. H. Ellis, secretary; E. L. Allen, and Edwin T. Earl.

The Rand Mountain Mining Company acquired their claims by purchase, and have absolute deeds for the same.  It is organized under the laws of Arizona.  There is not therefore, any individual liability, nor is the stock assessable.

Work was begun on these mines about the first of last July, and at the present time they have a shaft down in the Coloratha Wedge No. 1, 165 feet, and are deepening at the rate of from three to four feet a day.  They intend to keep on sinking down to a depth of at least 250 feet.  The quartz they are now working in horns a little, but they are not devoting any attention to it, now will they until they reach the depth they are now going for.  During last month some prospecting underground was done; a crosscut about thirty feet being run and a drift made of about twenty feet.  The work in this mine is being done in a thoroughly systematic manner, in a way that large mining propositions are usually worked, and as there is a good surplus in the treasury to continue development work, they are confident of reaching before long the ore body they are now sinking for.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times






February 9, 1897: “THE SHAMROCK IS NOW ATTRACTING CONSIDERABLE ATTENTION.  It lies just south of Butte Avenue on the first mound and runs nearly north and south.  It was discovered early in December last by Al Lester and located by him, Nicholson and Lawer, all hard working, young prospectors.  The ledge is a blind one on the surface, there being no outcropping to indicate where it was.  One day Lester was passing over this high point on his way to the post office before it was moved down to its present location, and discovered some small pieces of float.  He then went back and looked for the ledge.  The only indication of its whereabouts was a streak of highly-colored ground.  In digging into this he soon discovered the vein of quartz.  A little of it was rich but for the most part it showed but few traces of gold.  He and his partners sunk a hole as deep as they could throw out by shovel and left it for a month or so after having it recorded.  It showed a well-defined vein or ore at both ends of the shaft, of a foot or more in width.  Sometime later they put a windlass on it and began sinking; the quartz getting richer as they went down.  They now have a shaft some twenty-five feet in depth with a ten-inch vein of very rich ore, and it bids fair to be one of the richest mines in the camp.  The boys were offered $4000 for it a few days ago and refused this.  They sent their first load of ore to the mill this morning.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

March 6, 1897: “SUIT HAS BEEN BROUGHT in the Superior Court of Kern County against A. Lester, G. Tower, and J. J. Nicholson, owners of the Shamrock, situated south of Butte Avenue, by J. L. King and E. Berman.  The plaintiffs claim the property is theirs under the name of the Galveston, and also pray for $1000 damages.  Deputy Constable Voges served notice on the defendants.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

March 12, 1897: “LESTER, TOWN AND NICHOLSON are still at work on the Shamrock, and are down forty feet, with a two-foot vein of good ore at the bottom.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times


June 6, 1897: “THE DISPUTE OVER THE OWNERSHIP of the Shamrock, claimed by Al Lester and others, has been settled.  Lester and his partners giving up all claims to the property, upon the payment of a sum of money, the other side withdrawing the suit for damages now pending.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

June 10, 1897: “E. BERMAN, one of the owners of the old Galveston-Shamrock mine, left for his home in Los Angeles yesterday evening.  The dispute over the mine has been entirely settled, and Mr. Berman and J. C. King of the Santa Fe have full possession and will at once go to work developing their property.  There is a shaft forty-five feet in depth.  This will be sunk deeper, and drifts run on each side as soon as they reach the fifty foot level.  Some splendid specimens of ore have been taken from this mine, showing conclusively the presence of the precious metal in paying quantities.  Mr. King is a practical miner, and will be here a portion of his time.”  – Los Angeles Daily Times




January 28, 1897:  “IT IS ALSO REPORTED TODAY  on good authority that Mr. Harper of the firm of Harper and Reynolds, Los Angeles, had purchased the Standard Mine adjoining the Kengar (sic) on the west and South and covering quite a portion of the town of Randsburg.  The consideration was $12,000” — Los Angeles Times.

March, 1899: “HARLEY KERNSH arrived in camp in May, 1895, less than a month after the first discovery of gold by Burcham, Singleton and Mooers.  He immediately made some valuable locations, many of which he still owns, among them the Trilby Extension, and the Standard, the latter of which is on the northern edge of the town, and near the Kinyon and Little Butte mines. There has been some very rich ore found on it very recently, and it is liable to become very valuable.  He located the Wedge mine in April, 1896, on which he had a shaft 65 feet, at which depth some very rich ore was found, some of it going as high as $300 to the ton.  He sold it to J. W. Rodgers, and it is well known that it has since produced over $100,000.  He is also the owner of the Golden Bow mine, near the Yellow Aster Company’s mine, which is liable to prove very valuable”  – McPherson.


June 6, 1900:  “NOTICE OF ASSESSOR’S SALE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY—to satisfy the taxes on the possessory interest in and to the Standard Mining Claim and the improvements thereon amounting to  $16.65”  — Randsburg Miner

March 15, 1913:  “THE STANDARD CLAIM, adjoining the Good Hope on the West, has been leased by James Rice.  This property is owned by F. H. Morgan of Redlands.  The big ledge of high-grade ore, which was encountered on the Good Hope, runs east and west and has been traced to the Standard.  The sinking of a shaft has been started back of the Episcopal Church and a crosscut will be driven on the ledge with greater depth.”  — Randsburg Miner




June 10, 1897:  “BAKER AND FERRIS have just completed the purchase of the Whippoorwill claim lying in the edge of town on Rand street, a little way above the post office.  The purchase was made from Mr. McCormack (McCormick) they are on the lookout for other investments as Mr. Baker’s acquaintances with capitalists make it easy for him to induce capital to come here, if the properties make the proper showing.”  — Los Angeles Daily Times

Mineral Survey No. 4234, Independence Land District, claim located December 20, 1895, surveyed, January 1904, known as Whip-oor-will, owned by I. N. Inskeep, improvements consisting of 1. Discovery Shaft $50, 2 Shaft $330, 3. Shaft $150, 4. Tunnel $200, located at T.29 S., R40 E., MDM, of Sec. 35.



This entry was posted in Randsburg, Randsburg Claims. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Back to top